Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

iostream.h posted:

I was 11 when that movie came out, spend weeks learning that entire bit and (useless personal trivia) used the classical bit as part of my audition into the Alabama School of Fine Arts for classical guitar, along with a couple of more embarrassing 'pieces'.

Made it in, so I guess it was ok.

edit: ^^^^ Trick R Treat haha Gene Simmons! Fuuuu I remember that, such an awful flick

that poo poo was awesome back in the day..hahaha

I could still listen to Fastway I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

I was 11 when that movie came out, spend weeks learning that entire bit and (useless personal trivia) used the classical bit as part of my audition into the Alabama School of Fine Arts for classical guitar, along with a couple of more embarrassing 'pieces'.

Made it in, so I guess it was ok.
I worked on that piece for fifteen years but I never found a tablature that made it easy, so I started my own ways of playing those arpeggios.
I take off my hat (I don't own a fedora, sorry), to you. I was 15 when I saw it. That and SRV changed my life.

Rob Ford posted:

I get it, but I still don't understand what the basic premise of this thread has to do with this guy. Who the gently caress is he, and why is this thread apparently against him?

Playing guitar is hard, ok?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

gis was like "best guitar" or something

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well I may be in the minority but like I said, I was here in 2000 when people hosed with each other it was stupid funny shitposts along the lines of y0u=fag0t or whatever. It got out of hand and that kind of shitposting was moved to an asylum and GBS was not the wasteland it is now. O, sure, it was full of try-hards and SJWs-lite, but it was way better than this.

The whole Raison d'être of the new gibbis is just what you said, "im just loving with you" and we already had plenty of places for that.

But that's just my old fart's opinion. I still laugh like a kid at "that poo poo sucks you fagot" but it used to have a hint of irony to it. Something has been lost, and I think it's for the worst.

But thanks for being honest.

Real talk if u want debates about just how bad cops are and look at this recent news event just go to loving reddit or something

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went to a G3 show when they had vai, satriani and I think it was the guy from dream theater. I fell asleep during the final part of the show where all three are on stage guitar circle jerking. I had been drinking most of the day at another function which may have made me sleepy but my point is it was really boring.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UDUqnXKr0

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fax Sr posted:

gis was like "best guitar" or something

It's a hollowbody but the f-holes are like daggers because f-holes are for loving pussies

Also how have you scrubs not posted any Icemans

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
this is really bad

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

Post some ugly guitars that haven't been posted already.

Wow look who thinks people should post guitars instead of talking about faustus. Good to know you're a hypocrite in addition to a crybaby.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Declan MacManus posted:

It's a hollowbody but the f-holes are like daggers because f-holes are for loving pussies

Also how have you scrubs not posted any Icemans

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Paul Gilbert is a way nice dude and plays like a demon schizo nympho on meth, but I despise his signature guitars.

i liked the old ones with the f-hole stickers.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 3, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

EoinCannon posted:

I went to a G3 show when they had vai, satriani and I think it was the guy from dream theater. I fell asleep during the final part of the show where all three are on stage guitar circle jerking. I had been drinking most of the day at another function which may have made me sleepy but my point is it was really boring.

why did you go then? It's not like you don't know what goes on at a G3 show

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
here i'm posting

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

iostream.h posted:

Paul Gilbert is a way nice dude and plays like a demon schizo nympho on meth, but I despise his signature guitars.

i always thought of the iceman having a chin so i looked at both guitars up there as being left handed for some reason and i'm kinda high and scared and i'm not sure man

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

killhamster posted:

here i'm posting

why is there no indians

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

killhamster posted:

here i'm posting

why is dennis hopper gunning down rob halford

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Harry in Rio posted:

i always thought of the iceman having a chin so i looked at both guitars up there as being left handed for some reason and i'm kinda high and scared and i'm not sure man

Gilberts is the 'fireman' it's like the anti-iceman for some reason.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

why did you go then? It's not like you don't know what goes on at a G3 show

I sort of liked Vai and Satriani at that point, although I never listened to them that much.
Also my friends were going.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Gilberts is the 'fireman' it's like the anti-iceman for some reason.

some executive somewhere greenlit that

does that bother anyone?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

I sort of liked Vai and Satriani at that point, although I never listened to them that much.
Also my friends were going.

I was really into shreddy guitar as a teenager and I went to an Yngwie Malmsteen concert

It owned a bunch

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Wow look who thinks people should post guitars instead of talking about faustus. Good to know you're a hypocrite in addition to a crybaby.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Enormous seriouspost, sorry:

Dr. Faustus posted:

That is a good question, but you should first go back to page one and include this:

and the five quotes of that post on page one, and the other quotes on page two.
Exactly the same phenomenon, and also not worthy including in your imaginary attack. People posted a guitar they consider to be ugly, that happens to be owned by you. You were not mentioned at all. This is not mocking you personally in any way at all.

quote:

I shared those pics in another gassed thread and the ridicule (deserved or not, although of course I say not) started there
And any ridicule did not come here, until you brought it. It was 'here an ugly guitar.' Some people agreed; you were not mentioned.

quote:

, and as soon as I saw "only ugly guitars itt" I felt a sinking feeling that my pics from the other thread would be not only featured heavily in this thread, but it would be CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK who would start it and someone like Ularg to follow up with my gear collection pic:
SO WHAT? Nobody mentioned your name in this thread until you brought it up, as far as I remember. Initially, the attacks were specifically directed toward your guitars, and only toward your guitars, not your person. You were not mentioned, you brought it up. Whoever mentioned the Streisand Effect had it dead on.

Don't you realize that you guys were baiting you, and you completely fell for it? Hell, if I was younger, I might have joined in.

quote:

So I looked at the thread and I figured I had called it correctly.
You did not call it correctly, nobody attacked you.

You need to work on your social perceptions. I'm not loving with you here in the least, but I am bluntly addressing some psychological issues.

(That's just how I do this kind of thing, bluntly. You might hate that, all lot of people do, and a lot of people don't. (If my elderly mother lives through the weekend, she's going to get really big dose of 'I told you so, you should have gone in to the ER two days ago, before you came immobile and covered in vomit' She knows it, she knows I'm right, and she'll accept it.)

Sorry for the long-winded example with personal examples, but I'm trying to show how trivial your concerns about your guitar's appearance, relative to some other people's problems. I'd rather use somebody else's examples, but I don't know any.

You really shouldn't give a rat's rear end about people having negative opinions of the appearance of your possessions. I've had much worse trouble from people about much worse things, and been able to blow them off in a way that you seem to not even comprehend is possible.

Example 9sorry for another totally self-centered story: I have an overactive urinary system, and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom for the fourth time one afternoon when I was nine or ten. Go ahead and guess what happened. One person made a rhyme with my name, referring to the incident, and was still at it at the twenty-year high school reunion. I never responded, and actually never cared about, because she's none too bright, and not important in the least.

And you're complaining about people you don't even know, who are calling your guitars ugly. Those people don't matter at all. And if you'd kept your mouth shut, nothing would have happened.

quote:

I hope that answers your question.
Yes, but not in the way that you imagine. It indicates that you don't understand the situation in the least.

Again, I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, I'm not making fun of you, but you really don't understand in the least what's happening. That's why you're being mocked, it's your reactions, not your guitars. Even if people started mocking you without your being here, you did not have to respond.

My apologies everybody, for the boring wall of text, but I'm seriously trying to help him (just this once).

And Dr. Faustus, if you have interest in taking this to messages or something, please contact me. Otherwise, I'll just be shaking my head sadly about the extent of your reactions to something not important in the least.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

well that was pretty poignant

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unpopular opinion time.

There is no reason for hollow body electrics to exist other than tradition. The more lightweight the guitar, the less sustain and clarity you're going to get into the pickups. The sound box does nothing whatsoever. This is the reason that hollow body electrics weigh just about as much as solid bodies... if they were actually trying to take advantage of the sound box and just made an acoustic with pickups the guitar would sound like dogshit.

If you buy a hollow body electric you're paying for appearance alone. And that makes you a poser.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

skander posted:

Exactly the same phenomenon, and also not worthy including in your imaginary attack. People posted a guitar they consider to be ugly, that happens to be owned by you. You were not mentioned at all. This is not mocking you personally in any way at all.

And any ridicule did not come here, until you brought it. It was 'here an ugly guitar.' Some people agreed; you were not mentioned.
SO WHAT? Nobody mentioned your name in this thread until you brought it up, as far as I remember. Initially, the attacks were specifically directed toward your guitars, and only toward your guitars, not your person. You were not mentioned, you brought it up. Whoever mentioned the Streisand Effect had it dead on.

Don't you realize that you guys were baiting you, and you completely fell for it? Hell, if I was younger, I might have joined in.

You need to work on your social perceptions. I'm not loving with you here in the least, but I am bluntly addressing some psychological issues.

(That's just how I do this kind of thing, bluntly. You might hate that, all lot of people do, and a lot of people don't. (If my elderly mother lives through the weekend, she's going to get really big dose of 'I told you so, you should have gone in to the ER two days ago, before you came immobile and covered in vomit' She knows it, she knows I'm right, and she'll accept it.)

Sorry for the long-winded example with personal examples, but I'm trying to show how trivial your concerns about your guitar's appearance, relative to some other people's problems. I'd rather use somebody else's examples, but I don't know any.

You really shouldn't give a rat's rear end about people having negative opinions of the appearance of your possessions. I've had much worse trouble from people about much worse things, and been able to blow them off in a way that you seem to not even comprehend is possible.

Example 9sorry for another totally self-centered story: I have an overactive urinary system, and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom for the fourth time one afternoon when I was nine or ten. Go ahead and guess what happened. One person made a rhyme with my name, referring to the incident, and was still at it at the twenty-year high school reunion. I never responded, and actually never cared about, because she's none too bright, and not important in the least.

And you're complaining about people you don't even know, who are calling your guitars ugly. Those people don't matter at all. And if you'd kept your mouth shut, nothing would have happened.

Yes, but not in the way that you imagine. It indicates that you don't understand the situation in the least.

Again, I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, I'm not making fun of you, but you really don't understand in the least what's happening. That's why you're being mocked, it's your reactions, not your guitars. Even if people started mocking you without your being here, you did not have to respond.

My apologies everybody, for the boring wall of text, but I'm seriously trying to help him (just this once).

And Dr. Faustus, if you have interest in taking this to messages or something, please contact me. Otherwise, I'll just be shaking my head sadly about the extent of your reactions to something not important in the least.

Woah. Seriouspost: Don't worry about straightening me out, please. Take care of your serious stuff and forget about me and my over-reaction to a thread in GBS.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Seriously guys it's a great show he wears puffy shirts and is generally a coked out lunatic

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dolphin posted:

Unpopular opinion time.

There is no reason for hollow body electrics to exist other than tradition. The more lightweight the guitar, the less sustain and clarity you're going to get into the pickups, the resonating chamber does nothing whatsoever. This is the reason that hollow body electrics weigh just about as much as solid bodies... if they were actually trying to take advantage of the resonating chamber and just made an acoustic with pickups the guitar would sound like dogshit.

If you buy a hollow body electric you're paying for appearance alone. And that makes you a poser.

I like feedback and 335s are comfortable also you are a jealous hater

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

lmbo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

skander posted:

how old are you?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Makes you think, don't it?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

I like feedback and 335s are comfortable also you are a jealous hater
Well yeah there's the constant accidental feedback if you point it the wrong direction, I guess that's one...feature. Dampened sound is another if you want that mellow sound.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I'm just over 50.

Why do people quote huge walls of text?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skander posted:

skander posted:

I'm just over 50.

Why do people write them?

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Dolphin posted:

Unpopular opinion time.

There is no reason for hollow body electrics to exist other than tradition. The more lightweight the guitar, the less sustain and clarity you're going to get into the pickups. The sound box does nothing whatsoever. This is the reason that hollow body electrics weigh just about as much as solid bodies... if they were actually trying to take advantage of the sound box and just made an acoustic with pickups the guitar would sound like dogshit.

REally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mGKOPGa4U

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Makes you think, don't it?

:iamafag:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I this thread even about ugly guitars any more? What a gigantic loving poo poo wreck.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

skander posted:

I'm just over 50.

to make sure you answer, i dunno :shrug:

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i do enjoy the gbs guitargument thread

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

skander posted:

I'm just over 50.

you are a nice guy, trying to talk down people over the internet. i like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Agrajag posted:

I this thread even about ugly guitars any more? What a gigantic loving poo poo wreck.

How bout ugly guitarists?

• Locked thread