Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
CANEX parka is already a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
New windbreakers are also ridiculous. $99, no thanks. Kinda seems like that should be issued kit over say, the muskrat hat.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Got a windbreaker for 30 bucks some years ago, are the new ones different somehow?

I've know some RCAF dudes from way back who got USAF leather jacket before when posted stateside. Tried getting one from their supply system for myself but that didn't work out so well (dammit sequestration). Good to know that we have our own though, gotta burn through discretionary funds somehow :toot:

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

swagger like us posted:

Does anyone know how the roll out of the new combats are going? Is it going East - West sort of thing, or is it one of those equipping brand new BMQ troops with it sort of thing?

We have one new guy at the unit that has a "newish?" set with the arm pockets and the ugly as poo poo brown boots. other than that I haven't noticed anyone else wearing any and never seen the mandarin collar yet either.

On that note, my unit just went through sizing and issue of the new ruck this month. If that is any indication.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

12gaugelobotomy posted:

We have one new guy at the unit that has a "newish?" set with the arm pockets and the ugly as poo poo brown boots. other than that I haven't noticed anyone else wearing any and never seen the mandarin collar yet either.

On that note, my unit just went through sizing and issue of the new ruck this month. If that is any indication.

Is there a new ruck or is this the one we've had for about four years now?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've seen more and more of the high visibility slip-ons recently.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Don't put the 2 alloy bar that are supose to support your back better. They were hurting my shoulder more than doing any kind of support. Did my BFT without them and it went very well.

Oh and that dude in the leather jacket was my first base commander and he's pretty cool. I'd like to see him as the next CDS but I highly doubt it will happen.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

compressioncut posted:

How 'bout these bad boys?

Not a general, but a sweet leather flying jacket.

'Bout goddamn time. We're, like, the only Air Force in the world that doesn't have one. We really don't fit in at the cocktail parties.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Reminds me most of a WWII Luftwaffe flying jacket, which is a.) good because they are hot looking, but b.) bad because of Nazis (I hate those guys). I guess because of the color and collar style, otherwise it really bears no resemblance...

That replica's worth $1200 fyi.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
American pilots roll with these great brown leather jackets and boots that are pretty stylish imo. Makes the faded green poo poo and fleeces I see our pilots rocking pretty lame in comparison.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a new ruck or is this the one we've had for about four years now?

the one that has been around for a few years. I'm still going to be rocking the 84 for a while because I missed the date for sizing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Gay but Spooky posted:

American pilots roll with these great brown leather jackets and boots that are pretty stylish imo. Makes the faded green poo poo and fleeces I see our pilots rocking pretty lame in comparison.

Something my USAF coworkers point out nearly every single flight, until I riposte with "I have pockets that I can put my hands in."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyone know about Whiskey Battery at the RCAS? I heard Gagetown sucks in general, but is working for the school a good go?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Could be almost literally anywhere from Victoria to Halifax and all stops in between. Have fun on PAT (impossible), hope it's not much of a wait.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Who are you kidding? He's going to the Cool Pool

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
PAT: the best Christmas present.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Sir John Eh posted:

Who are you kidding? He's going to the Cool Pool

Yeah I almost put that odds are he's gonna go to one of the big bases first, probably Cold Lake or Greenwood (or Trenton). But I also know nothing about how initial AVS postings work, so fucknose in all honesty.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Borden PAT platoon isn't so bad. Now, Meaford, that's an experience.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Samu posted:

PAT: the best Christmas present.

When I was in Borden I heard of a guy who got bored of waiting on PAT after a few months of that crap, so he just went AWOL and drove home to the Maritimes to spend a few months there instead. Dude wandered back onto the base a couple of weeks before his course started, got charged, pled guilty, paid a fine. Totally worth it in my view.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

Borden PAT platoon isn't so bad. Now, Meaford, that's an experience.

There is almost no place i would like less to to PAT platoon in then Meaford.

I say almost because Wainwright is a place.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Since it started snowing, cabs from town won't go up top, and Ted's is closed. It's going to be a long winter.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
This is how I spent six months of my PAT time. I got lucky.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
What the gently caress is that. Explain yourself.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

What the gently caress is that. Explain yourself.

That's some gay rear end navy poo poo that I'm really really jealous of.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

That's some gay rear end navy poo poo that I'm really really jealous of.

Hey if it helps any I collected full sea-duty allowance for the entire time.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Ahhh HMCS Oriole. I'd like to request a posting there, but there's really absolutely no reason for me to get it.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Can i ship something to myself from a base to an other using cmtt? Like a set of tires?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Canada Post. They might lose your poo poo though.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

I just shipped my set of summer wheels and tires from Borden to Edmonton as UAB. I think you can ship anything as long as its under 350lb. I had a mob and a fridge and a set of wheels in my own tri-wall.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just noticed my emailed pay statements for the past couple months have been blank templates. Only discovering this now because I am dumb and roll with any bank deposit that looks 'about right'.

Anybody else run into that?

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.
Hey mates, I've been in the process of joining the reserves for... a while now. I've been trying to keep my pants on about this but the process has been getting dragged out recently.

Info: I've passed all of the interviews, fitness test, background check. I did the online stuff to sign up, and it seems to have gone mostly smoothly until the last part. I've been accepted (accepted as far as I can tell, anyways) as a 2lt with the 30th Field (artillery). It's only my swearing in that hasn't been done, and it seems to have been indefinitely delayed.

I was told by my first recruiting officer that they were using a new system for hiring (I guess related to the digitization of the process, but really that's just a guess) and he was being stonewalled for some reason. When he phoned me last the only word I can think of to describe his tone of voice was livid. He seemed genuinely frustrated with the situation. Since then I've received a new recruiting officer who has told me, as the first one eventually did, that they need permission 'from division' to hire me, meaning someone from 4th Div. needs to okay me being sworn in... I think? This is why I'm posting.

So, uh, questions I guess. I read something not long ago in the paper about potential troop strength cuts to the forces. Has anyone heard anything on the inside about this, or am I wrong? (I hope I'm wrong, since this would also probably indicate a hiring freeze). Am I just on the hook until someone in Pet gets it in gear? My new recruiting officer has said to just sit tight until the new year (meaning I guess next week, really) when the CO will be around to make the necessary phone calls.

Besides applying for the forces I'm also a grad student, and money is a bit of an issue for me. I'd be more relaxed about this, but if somehow I've been dragged this far only to be told it's not happening I need to know as soon as possible because Jan/Feb is summer position-sign up season for gov't/private business world.

If anyone has any ideas/comments on what's gone on they'd be appreciated. If not, well, pity-party time :toot:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We had a few generals swing by and say Reserve troop levels won't be cut.
It takes forever to get in, that's just the way the system is don't sweat it, you'll probably be on BMQ this fall.
My unit is pretty quick at getting the PATs on BMQ and then BMQ (L) and Arty DP1 the following summer.

e: actually I'm in 30th FD so I probably shouldn't talk too much about unit politics.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 3, 2014

irongiant
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah it's taken me over a year to get in but I finally got the call and am going to bmoq soon so just hang in there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah dude it sucks but applications can take forever. In 2003 I applied to both the regular and reserve forces. I opted for the full time contract because it came through first but even that took 10 months at a time when the CF was hurting for people. Don't let it stop you from applying to jobs elsewhere though, it's good to have a plan b.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I miss the good old Dirty 30. I wonder if I should drop in at the Jr's mess one Wednesday night when training is done, see who's still around.

Hell, are you guys still at Dow's Lake, or were you finally moved elsewhere?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vadoc posted:

I miss the good old Dirty 30. I wonder if I should drop in at the Jr's mess one Wednesday night when training is done, see who's still around.

Hell, are you guys still at Dow's Lake, or were you finally moved elsewhere?

Moved last year to a "temporary" gun park at Uplands, beside the airport. Plenty of room, and better in a lot of ways. JRs isn't as good though, slowly getting better. The Navy owned all the cool stuff.

e: blurry

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Guest2553 posted:

Just noticed my emailed pay statements for the past couple months have been blank templates. Only discovering this now because I am dumb and roll with any bank deposit that looks 'about right'.

Anybody else run into that?

I'm the same way. I tried to reset it in Emma and same thing.

You can view the actual ones through Emma though.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I think he's hilarious, but the Facebook Cpl Bloggins is probably going to get in trouble for his personal attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He better not. That poo poo is hilarious.

I see what you mean though.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 3, 2014