Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
One of the minisodes addressed Rick's survival in the hospital, I believe. There was a doctor there who stayed behind to help some patients like Rick who couldn't leave. You could tell it was set during the time he was still there because the doors Rick saw with "Don't open" painted on them hadn't been chained up and written on yet (that was done at the end of the minisode). It's possible he was there for a month or more if the doc lady was redoing his IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I think that was part of why this went to hell, but that still seems like a small number of people.

I don't know.

First assume you have a lot of situations like what happened early this season, where a family sits by an old person's death bed only for him to turn. Boom, house full of zombies.

Then factor in all the random heart attacks, household injuries, and whatever that kill someone unexpectedly in the middle of the night so they can walk around the house turning everyone like the prison mess.

Then imagine stuff like someone gets hit by a car and the driver and a crowd checks on him only for the victim to bite. Then that guy gets sent to the hospital where he turns and you've got a mess.

Then assume more than one person had the same idea Hershell did that these people were sick and need to be protected but it ended much uglier for them.

Then sure, maybe throw in an epidemic. Or wars. Starving third world countries. A bus crash. All the stuff that happens in the world that causes a bunch of deaths quickly.

I don't know, its going to take a leap of faith for you to accept this all happens on a large enough and quick enough level to be a mess that people can't just deal with. And you're going to have to assume there's a steep learning curve for people en masse to finally figure out and accept that they're dealing with zombies so they need to just slaughter these "sick" people.

But you're watching a zombie show so I always thought there's two basic premises you need to just accept or else there's no sense in watching. 1) Zombies exist even though they make no science sense. 2) They brought down the world, even though that might not make a lot of sense. If you have a problem with either of those then this isn't going to be a good show for you.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I guess in walking dead the concept of zombie in popular culture didn't exist in universe, so they wouldn't think of that.

I suppose the 28 days later rage virus thing could plausibly happen biologically, but they are not zombies in the true sense, and would not survive more than a few days without water

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I guess in walking dead the concept of zombie in popular culture didn't exist in universe, so they wouldn't think of that.
Even if it does I think people underrate how hard it might be for most people to actually accept that a fictional fantasy idea is an actual reality and means they need to shoot their 5-year-old daughter in the head.

But yeah, I think most zombie fiction including Walking Dead works with the basic premise that zombies are a foreign concept to these people because it greases the wheels.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Evernoob posted:

How much time was there between the Shane at the hospital flashback and Rick waking up anyway?
Even with an IV i don't think anyone could survive for longer than a week unattended.

A much more plausible way would have been that the "virus" immediately killed, then turned 90+% of the population, and that those who did not get sick and die (due to some immunity) just became carriers of the virus.
This theory is not possible though because of examples like the old people's home in Season 1. No reason they could all have been 'immune'

Long enough for the flowers Shane brought Rick to whither and die, so probably about a month? You don't exactly burn a lot of energy when you're in a coma so it's plausible that someone could survive fairly long without sustenance.

What I want to know is how long after you turn before you become able to infect others? What I mean is that in this universe everyone is infected and will turn when they die, and bites from a zombie will kill you and cause you to turn as well in a matter of hours, so how does a fresh zombie immediately have a magical zombie-inducing bite after they die, but not before when they were alive but still basically carriers?

When you die your saliva glands go into overdrive producing the T-virus?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

speshl guy posted:

Long enough for the flowers Shane brought Rick to whither and die, so probably about a month? You don't exactly burn a lot of energy when you're in a coma so it's plausible that someone could survive fairly long without sustenance.

What I want to know is how long after you turn before you become able to infect others? What I mean is that in this universe everyone is infected and will turn when they die, and bites from a zombie will kill you and cause you to turn as well in a matter of hours, so how does a fresh zombie immediately have a magical zombie-inducing bite after they die, but not before when they were alive but still basically carriers?

When you die your saliva glands go into overdrive producing the T-virus?

The worst thing the show did was the bloody CDC elaborating on details of the zombie virus. I just assume it's a concentration thing. Every living person is infected with the virus, but their immune systems are able to mostly fight it off/keep it dormant. When someone dies the virus runs crazy and takes over the body. When a walker bites a victim they get their wound full of a super-concentrated dose of the virus that overwhelms their system. Possibly also something to do with the bite itself, the flesh being damaged/partially dead at the bite point allows the virus to grab a foothold there.

Since we know it's an infection/virus/bacteria/whatever that causes people to turn I have always thought that in the initial days there would have been some people turning without being bitten. People with AIDS and other issues that mean low/no immune systems would have got infected, died, and turned. Even if only 1/100 people died from the virus without being bitten that would easily be enough to explain society quickly falling.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Senor Tron posted:

The worst thing the show did was the bloody CDC elaborating on details of the zombie virus. I just assume it's a concentration thing. Every living person is infected with the virus, but their immune systems are able to mostly fight it off/keep it dormant. When someone dies the virus runs crazy and takes over the body. When a walker bites a victim they get their wound full of a super-concentrated dose of the virus that overwhelms their system. Possibly also something to do with the bite itself, the flesh being damaged/partially dead at the bite point allows the virus to grab a foothold there.

The show has been a little inconsistent with whether the zombie bite is enough to kill, or if it's the subsequent infection, or something else entirely. When it needs someone to die asap, zombies gain super strength and their bites will cleave straight through to the bone and cause death either immediately, or after a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. If they need someone die a little more slowly, then the bite merely grazes the flesh, and the person slowly dies, until a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. I don't think there is any TWD canon on this point, which is why it has taken a backseat to the needs of whatever immediate plot is going on.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
You would think that the zombie blood would also be pretty toxic and that people wouldn't be letting it get near their mouths and noses as much as they seem to

The governors scientist guy seemed to be the only smart one in the series, duct taping his arms and stuff. You would think they would use some sort of padding or layers and not walk around in short sleeves.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

speshl guy posted:

He would've been dead from a bed sore in weeks. It's a huge problem in nursing homes/elderly care and just one of those things TV shows always ignore. Google it if you don't plan on eating for a few days.

The general rule for comatose or bed ridden people is to flip them every two hours.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 30, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

You would think that the zombie blood would also be pretty toxic and that people wouldn't be letting it get near their mouths and noses as much as they seem to

The governors scientist guy seemed to be the only smart one in the series, duct taping his arms and stuff. You would think they would use some sort of padding or layers and not walk around in short sleeves.

Covering yourself in padding and layers of non-breathable material may not be the most comfortable attire in Georgia though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

fletcher posted:

Covering yourself in padding and layers of non-breathable material may not be the most comfortable attire in Georgia though.

Id just go out in one of those mascot suits with the little fans in them

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
As poo poo as it was in pretty much every way (PG-13 CGI zombie movie lol), I think in World War Z Brad Pitt duct-taped some magazines around his arms to prevent bites during combat. Which is a fantastic idea, because they're practically infinite in the post-apocalyptic world. I can't imagine anyone cleared out all the dentist's waiting areas.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Are we forgetting the zombie camo that rick and crew discovered by covering themselves in zombie guts? Or Michonne's camo consisting of armless\jawless zombie pets? Why everyone doesn't have an armless\jawless zombie on a leash everywhere they go is beyond me at this point.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

xxEightxx posted:

Are we forgetting the zombie camo that rick and crew discovered by covering themselves in zombie guts? Or Michonne's camo consisting of armless\jawless zombie pets? Why everyone doesn't have an armless\jawless zombie on a leash everywhere they go is beyond me at this point.

Put on a mascot suit covered in zombie guts, chained to a few jawless walkers, you'd be fine anywhere you went

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Id just go out in one of those mascot suits with the little fans in them

You may enjoy playing the new Dead Rising game :)

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
It turns out, the first season is really not good at all.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Put on a mascot suit covered in zombie guts, chained to a few jawless walkers, you'd be fine anywhere you went

Take bus, build frames on the side and nail toothless walkers to them. Essentially created a walker cloaking device.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The first season is the reason I trudged through the second, and the third. I'm sorry, but, EVEN WITH THE OMG CDC SO AWFUL OMG IT IS THE WORST THING EVER opinion regurgitated here, it's still the best chunk of the show to date.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

xxEightxx posted:

The show has been a little inconsistent with whether the zombie bite is enough to kill, or if it's the subsequent infection, or something else entirely. When it needs someone to die asap, zombies gain super strength and their bites will cleave straight through to the bone and cause death either immediately, or after a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. If they need someone die a little more slowly, then the bite merely grazes the flesh, and the person slowly dies, until a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. I don't think there is any TWD canon on this point, which is why it has taken a backseat to the needs of whatever immediate plot is going on.

The idea of a zombie virus is stupid on its face. We see zombies who are literally nothing but ribcages with arms and a skull wandering around. At this point, "evil necromancer" is the MORE plausible solution.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Sometimes its nice to take a step back and remember that the originator of the zombie genre was a magical necromantic radiation field from Venus.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Kasonic posted:

Sometimes its nice to take a step back and remember that the originator of the zombie genre was a magical necromantic radiation field from Venus.

Why not? Makes as much sense as anything.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Someone gave me the first 3 seasons on DVD for Christmas so I went through and watched them and with AMCs walking dead marathon today im caught up on season 4. Ive liked the show so far but for most of seasons 1 through 3 I was rooting for like 3 characters and praying at least one annoying person an episode would get eaten. Season 4 was way better for me but it seems like they didnt know what the hell to do with the Governor ever since he was introduced. I was actually hoping he would stay good and spend the rest of his life trying to redeem himself by protecting his new family in kind of a side story instead of going evil again. :smith: That song they played when he was wandering was pretty neat as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kasonic posted:

"Rumors say this may be related."

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
CDC guy was a huge tool

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kasonic posted:

Really? Was that the suspected cause from Night of the Living Dead? Or an even earlier film/novel?

Anyway "explaining" zombies is impossible anyway. Rage Virus sounds much more plausible to me, with the exception of the insanely quick infection/turning speed. The only problem with them is you cannot make a multi-year long series around them as those infected tend to die from starvation/exhaustion after about a month.

Now that I think of it, have Body Snatchers been mentioned anywhere in this thread yet? Those are cool and perfectly plausible: There is some real parasite that can "zombify" ants to make them suicide by climbing to the top of leaves, and lock their jaws in the leaves so some birds can eat them.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Evernoob posted:

Really? Was that the suspected cause from Night of the Living Dead? Or an even earlier film/novel?

Yeah, sort of. It's the main theory from a news report during NOTLD, although never confirmed.

But yeah. Worrying about realism is a fools game. Especially when the best zombie anything of all time gives no fucks.

Return of the Living Dead supremacy. All day. Everyday.

take the red pill
Dec 12, 2013

by T. Finninho
I really hope one of the groups come across that large herd that Daryl and company ran into while trying to retrieve medical supplies from that veterinary school. They ran into that herd within thirty five miles of the prison so it isn't unreasonable for it to reappear, especially now that everyone is scrambling. I also wonder if that herd is synonymous with or located in the "Red Zone" that the Governor referred to in season 3.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Evernoob posted:

Anyway "explaining" zombies is impossible anyway. Rage Virus sounds much more plausible to me, with the exception of the insanely quick infection/turning speed. The only problem with them is you cannot make a multi-year long series around them as those infected tend to die from starvation/exhaustion after about a month.

Now that I think of it, have Body Snatchers been mentioned anywhere in this thread yet? Those are cool and perfectly plausible: There is some real parasite that can "zombify" ants to make them suicide by climbing to the top of leaves, and lock their jaws in the leaves so some birds can eat them.

This is why the CDC arc was so stupid, the whole zombie thing either needs to introduce some sort of physics defying magic, or leave it unsaid. In twd we got just enough to allow us to question how stupid it is, and not enough to allow us to suspend belief so that we could believe it actually could happen.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
They should have just not said anything about it. "Lol infrastructure fell before we could figure out what was causing it, well that sucks, guess we will never know"

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like the real purpose of the CDC was to make clear that zombies are brain-stem-only, barely functioning zombies, and not people trapped in a living hell.

The Solanum virus depicted in the Zombie Survival Guide (and later World War Z) was the best of both worlds, being a realistic virus but with clearly preternatural properties, and the narrator emphasized the mystery.

Evernoob posted:

The Cordyceps fungus. You should check out the Last of Us, the best zombie twist since 28 Days Later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

xxEightxx posted:

This is why the CDC arc was so stupid, the whole zombie thing either needs to introduce some sort of physics defying magic, or leave it unsaid. In twd we got just enough to allow us to question how stupid it is, and not enough to allow us to suspend belief so that we could believe it actually could happen.

Are you guys really taking zombies that seriously?

I watched the whole series on Netflix, and maybe it was because I just watched most of it in a stretch, but it seemed to me they said just enough to explain why destroying the brain works and that was it. They say it's a virus, but most zombie poo poo says that. It lives in the brain, so kill it there!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 4, 2014

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
The answer is that its a tv show and zombies are not real things.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I don't think anybody is getting bent out of shape over it anymore, it's just that the show takes itself so seriously at times (PTSD angles, etc) that sometimes you forget that you're supposed to have your brain turned off most the time.

It's a vicious yo-yo cycle of "Take this part seriously, don't take this part" that I only mastered during season 2.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am rooting for the walkers at this point tbh

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kasonic posted:

I feel like the real purpose of the CDC was to make clear that zombies are brain-stem-only, barely functioning zombies, and not people trapped in a living hell.

Which was a mistake. The creepiest walkers have been in the show is when it seemed like some of the original person was still in there.

Morgans wife coming back to the house and trying to open the door, the little girl zombie carrying her teddy bear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was one in episode 2 that picked up a rock and started banging on a door with it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kasonic posted:

The purpose of the CDC was just to destroy the hope that there was some cure waiting out there in a secret bunker full of genius doctors and soldiers. Its a logical idea. All hell breaks loose, some of the smartest and most prepared would hunker down and try to solve it and at that time Shane, Rick, and Co were still buying time hoping for the government to solve this problem. The huge conflict of the time was that Rick wanted to seek help from doctors at the CDC and Shane wanted to go to an army base. The CDC visit destroys that possibility for them and convinces them that this is the world and there's no escape, cure, or going back. Which is why it pushes Jackie and Andrea to the point of suicide.

But the problem is it opened the door for people who care about the science or "logic" of all of this to look for the rest of the answer when it doesn't exist. Walking Dead is a drama that is about the emotional ordeal people are going through. The CDC episode opened the door to people looking for a sci-fi show or some kind of Lost thing that has answers and questions. It was an unintended consequence and the show probably could have found a better way to do what they wanted and avoid it, but now you're going to have frustrated "it doesn't make sense" people referring back to that one episode as long as the show is on the air.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Which was a mistake. The creepiest walkers have been in the show is when it seemed like some of the original person was still in there.

Morgans wife coming back to the house and trying to open the door, the little girl zombie carrying her teddy bear.

I'm with you there. Zombies with "pieces left" is a beautiful concept done well, but it didn't jive with the comics so that went right out with Darabont.

The rock zombie sits alongside the CDC as relics of a former creative direction.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kasonic posted:

You should check out the Last of Us, the best zombie twist since 28 Days Later.

I've seen and heard a lot of stuff about that game. drat you PS3 exclusive!
Just yesterday I saw a PS3 for sale bundled with The Last of US + GT6 for just 299. That was almost tempting for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Evernoob posted:

I've seen and heard a lot of stuff about that game. drat you PS3 exclusive!
Just yesterday I saw a PS3 for sale bundled with The Last of US + GT6 for just 299. That was almost tempting for me.

If you're cool with watching LPs, Geop is doing one of that game right now.

• Locked thread