Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Banned for spamming as a cluwne.

:colbert: We won't be having any of that fun stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
Just smashed all of my previous engine records, and I don't even know what an EW is?? Sadly nothing dramatic happened, apart from incredible heating radiating everywhere.

quote:

This is a generator.
Current Output: 5.125 EW

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Exawatt, probably.

/edit: Metric prefixes.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

backifran posted:

Just smashed all of my previous engine records, and I don't even know what an EW is?? Sadly nothing dramatic happened, apart from incredible heating radiating everywhere.

Did you try hotwiring it onto the stations grid? :getin:

The big question is would the arc flashes vapourize people.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 3, 2014

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

backifran posted:

Holy hell that's hot :supaburn:

I wonder how hot the engine would have to put out in order to exceed the rough estimate of the engine area and start cooking other departments alive. :allears:

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

Motherfucker posted:

Did you try hotwiring it onto the stations grid? :getin:

The big question is would the arc flashes vapourize people.

There is no difference in damage beyond 4mw sadly, although you could argue there is a bit of a difference between 4mw and 5EW? I don't know how many 0s that adds onto 4mw but I guess it's ALOT?

Basically I tried a variation on my usual setup - I vented absolutely NOTHING and introduced new plasma into the hot loop at set intervals. Worked a treat!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

backifran posted:

There is no difference in damage beyond 4mw sadly, although you could argue there is a bit of a difference between 4mw and 5EW? I don't know how many 0s that adds onto 4mw but I guess it's ALOT?

Basically I tried a variation on my usual setup - I vented absolutely NOTHING and introduced new plasma into the hot loop at set intervals. Worked a treat!

And I was there to monitor the engine after you valiantly cooked to death attempting it a second time. :patriot:

Mistle posted:

Holy hell that's hot :supaburn:

I wonder how hot the engine would have to put out in order to exceed the rough estimate of the engine area and start cooking other departments alive. :allears:

It was actually in the process of cooking the QM office and setting off fire alarms around medbay by the time the round ended!

I like to imagine DARWIN spending the rest of its existence nurturing that point of infinite, eternally-growing energy. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Does reinforced metal contain the heat any better than a regular wall?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hey dudes, remind me what chemical reinforces windows? I don't have the foggiest idea what it's called so I can't look it up in the recipe manager.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Hey dudes, remind me what chemical reinforces windows? I don't have the foggiest idea what it's called so I can't look it up in the recipe manager.

Silicate: Silicon + Oxygen + Aluminum.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Silicon + Oxygen + Aluminium.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Motherfucker posted:

Banned for spamming as a cluwne.

:colbert: We won't be having any of that fun stuff here.

The problem is that when fun stuff crosses the line into 'fun stuff that makes the round really, really, REALLY unfun for everyone else' - like cluwnespamming the radio, thus making the chat panel useless for everyone, then that's something we have to react to. I'm all about being an enterprising, sadistic, and creative rear end in a top hat, but you have to balance that against not making the game unplayable for everyone who isn't you.

When you get back from your tempban, try getting a bunch of cluwnes together and wander from department to department doing a cluwne wandering barbershop quartet gimmick - doesn't spam the radio, and has the benefit of getting to see people wanting to kill themselves to escape you in person. Coordination on this would be tricky, but you could probably accomplish it with paper and pen or something.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

The problem is that when fun stuff crosses the line into 'fun stuff that makes the round really, really, REALLY unfun for everyone else' - like cluwnespamming the radio, thus making the chat panel useless for everyone, then that's something we have to react to. I'm all about being an enterprising, sadistic, and creative rear end in a top hat, but you have to balance that against not making the game unplayable for everyone who isn't you.

When you get back from your tempban, try getting a bunch of cluwnes together and wander from department to department doing a cluwne wandering barbershop quartet gimmick - doesn't spam the radio, and has the benefit of getting to see people wanting to kill themselves to escape you in person. Coordination on this would be tricky, but you could probably accomplish it with paper and pen or something.

that's definitely what I would do on short notice while completely unable to move or do anything of merit.

Or more generally I'd just spam till someone kills me for being annoying and than go do something more fun than being cluwned in the first minute of a round, like eating paint chips and smashing myself in the face with a glass bottle.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Motherfucker posted:

that's definitely what I would do on short notice while completely unable to move or do anything of merit.

Or more generally I'd just spam till someone kills me for being annoying and than go do something more fun than being cluwned in the first minute of a round, like dragging boxes on the desktop or reading a book.

Or you could do what I did the last time I got cluwned and wander over to medbay and *frown and *cry until someone offers to either clone or borg you. Or you could wander around being personally annoying to people, or attempt to space yourself, or try and annoy the guy that cluwned you, or just say 'gently caress it' and log off, or do literally anything but the single most annoying thing you can do as a cluwne.

You know, either way, really.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lohli posted:

Silicon + Oxygen + Aluminium.

Killer, thanks you two. Now a few experiments to see what makes the most effective smoke solution.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I once got muted for riding a Segway through a crowded chapel while spamming my horrible cluwne laugh as rapidly as I could before crashing into the Chaplain. I don't blame that admin for muting me but I maintain that it was funny, and I would probably do it again.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I once got muted for riding a Segway through a crowded chapel while spamming my horrible cluwne laugh as rapidly as I could before crashing into the Chaplain. I don't blame that admin for muting me but I maintain that it was funny, and I would probably do it again.

But its annoying!!! :qq:

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:
Played for the first time yesterday. LPs in the OP do a pretty good job explaining stuff, I haven't had much trouble with the interface. Didn't beat myself to death with anything, and even managed to not be completely useless! :haw: Couple of questions, though.

Can you get items from a container that's in another container, without taking that inner container to hand or dropping it to the ground? I tried few times, but wasn't sure if it's not possible or just a result of extreme input lag. If it's something you can't do, then adding an interface feedback might be a good idea, especially that you can open them with no problem.

How do you operate meat spikes? I wanted to do a monkey sandwich, and wiki just briefly mention spikes (which I assume means ones in the freezer — took me a while to notice them, too), but the monkey refused to cooperate. Stupid dead animals, ruining everything. :smith:

And on the topic of dragging things onto other things, can you move a large object in front of you to the side, without starting to pull and backing out (specifically, when there's not really a room to move)? I thought I saw that done on a video, but a vampire ate me before I could figure it out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Cat Plus Plus posted:

Played for the first time yesterday. LPs in the OP do a pretty good job explaining stuff, I haven't had much trouble with the interface. Didn't beat myself to death with anything, and even managed to not be completely useless! :haw: Couple of questions, though.

Can you get items from a container that's in another container, without taking that inner container to hand or dropping it to the ground? I tried few times, but wasn't sure if it's not possible or just a result of extreme input lag. If it's something you can't do, then adding an interface feedback might be a good idea, especially that you can open them with no problem.

How do you operate meat spikes? I wanted to do a monkey sandwich, and wiki just briefly mention spikes (which I assume means ones in the freezer — took me a while to notice them, too), but the monkey refused to cooperate. Stupid dead animals, ruining everything. :smith:

And on the topic of dragging things onto other things, can you move a large object in front of you to the side, without starting to pull and backing out (specifically, when there's not really a room to move)? I thought I saw that done on a video, but a vampire ate me before I could figure it out.

I'm thinking they haven't fixed the meatspikes with the mob overhaul yet.

That or because the sprite is stick thin it makes it difficult to just like, click.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 3, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
More evidence of Space Station 13 creeping into real life:

Space Lube, An Introspective

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also it took me like a month of playing to realise that you have to click on the actual sprite instead of just the tile it's sitting on. So to meatspike a money, you have to click the actual spike itself, not the space inside or around it.

Note that this may only have been a problem because I am retarded

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cat Plus Plus posted:

Getting stuff from containers in containers, I have tried myself but it doesn't seem to work.

You have to click right on the meat spike sprite itself, as mentioned. It definitely works.

You can move objects to the side! Get a pull on it, then instead of moving yourself, click on a floor tile adjacent to both yourself and the object. I do it accidentally all the time when I play janitor.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

Dabir posted:

You have to click right on the meat spike sprite itself, as mentioned. It definitely works.

I thought the status bar said "meat spike", but maybe I wasn't careful enough or hosed something else up. I'll try again next time. Thanks!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Would it be possible to code in a container dump feature? Like, click-dragging a container to another container would dump the contents of the first into the second, smallest objects first (and obviously excluding any objects too large or that don't fit in the container). Display a message for this, like "Joe Pubber dumps the contents of the Box into the Backpack." Would be handy for smash-and-grabs, and for early round stuff like transferring the contents of a toolbox to a toolbelt.

I know this sort of thing works for furnaces and ore satchels and stuff, so container-to-container transfers should be possible too.

Marquesas
Sep 17, 2011

Stuntman posted:

Do you remember if Luis Smith was the captain or not? I suicide sarin'd the captain earlier in that round and can't remember his name, but I'm really hoping it was Luis.

Nope. Electrician. I remember you bragging about this though.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Nakar posted:

Would it be possible to code in a container dump feature? Like, click-dragging a container to another container would dump the contents of the first into the second, smallest objects first (and obviously excluding any objects too large or that don't fit in the container). Display a message for this, like "Joe Pubber dumps the contents of the Box into the Backpack." Would be handy for smash-and-grabs, and for early round stuff like transferring the contents of a toolbox to a toolbelt.

I know this sort of thing works for furnaces and ore satchels and stuff, so container-to-container transfers should be possible too.

Kinda amuses me that you mention all this useful stuff, and the first thing I think of to do with it is a non-standard container: "Joe Pubber dumps the contents of the Pill Bottle (???) into his mouth!"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Unhappy Meal posted:

Kinda amuses me that you mention all this useful stuff, and the first thing I think of to do with it is a non-standard container: "Joe Pubber dumps the contents of the Pill Bottle (???) into his mouth!"
If this isn't a thing you can already do this needs to be regardless of whether my idea is implemented. Basically a medical version of a shotglass.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
If a borg witnesses a traitor perform a traitorous action, are they allowed to break their laws and enact street justice?
I ask because a borg witnessed me bombing genetics, and as I was fleeing I slipped on the floor, and the borg proceeded to put a hell patch on me. Granted, the laws may have been subverted, but I don't think they were because the borg wasn't attacking anyone else.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Borgs can only assault people if they're nonhuman, either through subverted laws, or the outing of a vampire/changeling. Even if a borg watches you gun down twenty innocent victims with an AK47, he cannot use lethal force against you.

However, if he had a hellpatch ready to go, I would bet money he was already subverted. Borgs on standard laws don't tend to walk around with deadly poisons ready to deploy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SnotGrumble posted:

If a borg witnesses a traitor perform a traitorous action, are they allowed to break their laws and enact street justice?
I ask because a borg witnessed me bombing genetics, and as I was fleeing I slipped on the floor, and the borg proceeded to put a hell patch on me. Granted, the laws may have been subverted, but I don't think they were because the borg wasn't attacking anyone else.

If you think someone broke the rules it never hurts to ask the admins. They'll probably not reply back to you but its possible theyll do something if there was foul play.

Xavieri
Dec 26, 2008
The borgs got "free to do whatever they want" law right at the beginning of that round. So yeah, you just got unlucky getting spotted by me and falling on the floor.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Captain Bravo posted:

Borgs can only assault people if they're nonhuman, either through subverted laws, or the outing of a vampire/changeling. Even if a borg watches you gun down twenty innocent victims with an AK47, he cannot use lethal force against you.
Correct, although you can still take actions to try to save humans like dragging the victims into another room and bolting it closed or putting yourself between his bullets and a target, or even bumping into the attacker so he's forced out of the room or something. But the First Law contemplates this sort of situation and Traitors and Syndicates (and possibly Wizards? I forget if a Wizard is human) are explicitly human, while Changelings and Vampires appear human and should be assumed human unless you have evidence to the contrary. As long as you believe someone to be human, you cannot take a hostile action against them unless the First Law is overridden by some other law (in which case obviously follow that law instead).

Basically if the action would do damage to a human and the First Law is still in place, don't do it to anything that looks human unless you've seen or been given proof otherwise. The exception would be something like certain medicines that have to do small amounts of damage to cure other things. I don't think any admin will get on your case for administering things that deal a little bit of damage in order to stop a deadly poison or whatever.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Wizards are, in fact human! http://wiki.ss13.co/Human

You shouldn't, however, body-block bullets unless the human requests help. Third law: http://wiki.ss13.co/AI_Laws

The best part about these 3 laws is none of them actually have an inaction clause. That is, you are never breaking Law 1 by watching a human get harmed and doing precisely nothing about it, unless they request help. Even then, the help can be less than actually-helpful. Also, realize that ID cards are a "standing order" from the HoP/Captain as to what people get access to what rooms, so when Pubbie Q. Staff Assistant is standing at the Bridge door and yelling "AI DOOR", you're perfectly within your rights to deny access and/or check with the chain of command to see if they should be allowed access and/or direct Pubbie Q. Staff Assistant to the HoP's office to have their access permissions updated.

Also, I had some fun times last night as AI. Someone uploaded a law that basically stated "Everybody is captain.", which was amazing fun.

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 3, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Removal of the inaction clause had to be the best change made to the AI laws, no more people demanding the AI to do something then going "IF YOU DON'T I'LL DIE LAW 1 AI"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh yeah you're right, I keep forgetting there's no inaction clause. So yeah if you want to rescue humans do it, but otherwise you can just sit there and watch. Although law hierarchy and general logic would say you're better at absorbing damage than humans are if they ask you to help them. However even knocking out a human to save another human isn't technically allowed unless you can somehow KO them without "harming" them. There might be drugs that can do this.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Urit posted:

The best part about these 3 laws is none of them actually have an inaction clause. That is, you are never breaking Law 1 by watching a human get harmed and doing precisely nothing about it, unless they request help. Even then, the help can be less than actually-helpful.

Ah, the wonderful feeling of watching a human break into an area far, far too hot for their fleshy bodies to handle, crit themselves and call you names instead of, you know, ordering you to help them.

"Your locomotive functions will fail. Your cardiovascular system will fail. Your respiratory system will fail. You will cease!"

People always end up calling rogue, as opposed to realizing it's just a borg with an extreme case of indifference towards their fleshy plight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The only healing chem that could do damage while it works is calomel, and calomel can't be fatal (if you're under 25 health it just won't do its normal tox damage).

Further, since borgs don't have access to a reagent scanner with a medical module, they're kind of prone to overusing calomel if they have any reason to think a big poison is in play. If you see the effects of neurotoxin, you've got no way of knowing if the patient has 10 units or 50. So you're sort of bound to overuse the drug just to be sure. It's slightly awkward from a 'harm' perspective, but the realities of the chem make it a nonissue.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Coolguye posted:

borgs don't have access to a reagent scanner with a medical module

They actually do now! The borg PDA cart includes both a health and a reagent scanner. Just use it instead of your stand-alone analyzer!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Coolguye posted:

The only healing chem that could do damage while it works is calomel, and calomel can't be fatal (if you're under 25 health it just won't do its normal tox damage).

Further, since borgs don't have access to a reagent scanner with a medical module, they're kind of prone to overusing calomel if they have any reason to think a big poison is in play. If you see the effects of neurotoxin, you've got no way of knowing if the patient has 10 units or 50. So you're sort of bound to overuse the drug just to be sure. It's slightly awkward from a 'harm' perspective, but the realities of the chem make it a nonissue.
I think it would be silly to enforce this and say a chemborg can't do it, as obviously the poison is going to be far worse than the cure, so I agree that you should just go ahead with it. It's harm in the raw sense of "doing damage," but obviously no one's going to get in trouble for it if they're just administering what they believe to be the necessary dose to ensure effectiveness. Nobody would even notice unless they somehow died from it, which they shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Coolguye posted:

Pentetic acid also does tiny amounts of brute damage while curing toxic. Also medical borgs have access to a reagent scanner: switch your PDA from health scan to reagent scan.

• Locked thread