Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

bhsman posted:

I understand, but all of that is wholly compounded by the fact that he is a game manager for the most stacked team in the nation and with piss-weak schedules (occasional big games aside). He's rarely - if ever - been asked to carry the team when they are down - again, if ever - and in terms of physical talent he seems like a less athletic Schaub. And I'm talking post week five Schaub here.

Take away his stacked offensive line, defense, and stable of freak running backs (another one? Seriously??? gently caress.), and what does McCarron really do? He could be the next Tom Brady, fine, whatever, but he's done nothing to show it.

:byewhore:

That deep TD pass was pretty sweet.

But yeah I think he's in the realm of going way too high because teams try to gobble up QBs, but falling to oblivion might be too low. Hope he lands a solid back up spot if he's any level of game smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MJBuddy posted:

poo poo I completely misunderstood that.

And yes the outdueling thing is a joke.

If there's one thing you can count on regarding me it's that I don't believe in "clutch" or "big game performer"

t:)

granted I would probably end up taking the ban over changing allegiance. I'm just that confident this team won't be stupid enough to put its future in JFF's hands

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 3, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Intruder posted:

If there's one thing you can count on regarding me it's that I don't believe in "clutch" or "big game performer"

You explain Drew Brees in home night games then.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MJBuddy posted:

There's a guy in the Superdome who dresses up as a giant gold whistle and blows whistles all the time. :v:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MJBuddy posted:

You can just make this Drew Brees at home and welp that's not difficult to explain at all. Night vs day is likely so negligible as to be mostly your own bias.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You can just make this Drew Brees at home and welp that's not difficult to explain at all. Night vs day is likely so negligible as to be mostly your own bias.

Playing well in primetime is totally a demonstrable skill, what are you talking about

I expect McCarron will probably go in the 3rd-4th range, even after that shitpile of a performance today. He won't be anywhere close to the first round conversation anymore but that dream was probably already dead after they lost to Auburn anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Was he seriously at any point in the first round conversation?

It seems like QBs ahead of him are Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Mettenberger, Boyd, maybe even Murray and then if they declare Mariota and Hundley

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'd be happy if the Bengals took McCarron in the 3rd or 4th, since unless Dalton lights it up this postseason I'd be willing to bet they spend a pick on a QB in that range.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What on earth would lead you to believe McCarron is better than Dalton

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If I were picking a late round QB I would much rather have Murray, injuries and all.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Intruder posted:

Was he seriously at any point in the first round conversation?

It seems like QBs ahead of him are Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Mettenberger, Boyd, maybe even Murray and then if they declare Mariota and Hundley

A while ago yeah, when it looked like Bama was on their way to a threepeat, but it was more in the sense of 'some really dumb team is going to do this because of JWG Magic'. But really, Carr got smoked in his bowl game too, Mettenberger's coming off an ACL tear, and Bortles only started to get really hyped pretty recently. They might all still end up ahead of McCarron but that wasn't the case in the relatively recent past, except for maybe Carr because he was actually getting Top 10 hype before Fresno got steamrolled by SC.

And I thought Mariota already said he was staying, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He said he was staying but then he requested a draft grade so who knows? Hundley also said he was staying but rumors came out that he was going to declare

If Mariota declared I would want the Texans to take him #1 but I'm real dumb so

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If you're that interested in McCarron, grab him somewhere between picks 100 and 125 and see what he can do for you. I think he'll be a good deal better than Greg McElroy has been but I realize how faint that praise is.

Oregon CB Terrance Mitchell, better known as the Guy Who Plays Opposite Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, declared. He's a talented corner (if a little handsy) who could sneak into the top 40.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

What on earth would lead you to believe McCarron is better than Dalton

Not that he's better or even as a replacement for Dalton, but everything I've read makes it sound like his skill set is kind of similar and would be a good backup for an offense built around Dalton. I don't think Dalton is getting benched or anything but he's a free agent after next year and I can't see them retaining him if he plays poorly next year. McCarron wouldn't be a long term answer or anything but I think it's better to plan for that now than to worry about it next year if it has to go down like that, but it would be dumb as hell to spend a higher pick than a 3rd or 4th on that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't see it. If there's any belief that Dalton isn't the guy (and I think he's been good enough to invest in though not throw top level money at him) then you don't draft a guy who is similar to him as a potential replacement

Either you reup Dalton or you go after a different type of QB, you don't chase a guy who is similar

e: basically I'm saying you don't go from Dalton to a guy whose ceiling is Dalton

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

I don't see it. If there's any belief that Dalton isn't the guy (and I think he's been good enough to invest in though not throw top level money at him) then you don't draft a guy who is similar to him as a potential replacement

Either you reup Dalton or you go after a different type of QB, you don't chase a guy who is similar

e: basically I'm saying you don't go from Dalton to a guy whose ceiling is Dalton

I think if the Bengals win on Sunday Dalton gets extended in the offseason, full stop. I suppose you're right in the situation where you're not sold on Dalton but in the situation where you do commit to him (which I think the Bengals will, even if he is forced to prove it in 2014 I don't think he'll play poorly enough that they wont commit but it is still a possibility), I think it's a good idea to have a similar quarterback as a backup to not have to change the offense too much if he's forced to play.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hate the idea of drafting a QB as a backup just because he's similar to your starter but I'm a fan of a team that drafted TJ Yates for that very reason so

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I watched some of Brandin Cooks' footage and Oregon clearly was scared as poo poo of him and doubled/tripled him all the time but I actually came away with it more impressed by Ekpre-Olomu, who made several excellent plays on the ball while covering him. I want him real bad, we'll see if Baalke feels feisty enough to move up in the first again.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

How many rounds did McCarron cost himself tonight?
Having a bad game isn't the end of the world. If he fares well when teams grill him about that performance, the impact will be minimal at most.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
There's no way the Bengals don't resign Dalton unless he completely shits the bed or thinks he's worth Joe Flacco money. I mean, come on, the guy is a Pro Bowl qb. :airquote:

Seriously though, he has basically been a league average starter since his rookie year and has shown flashes of being legitimately good, and even without a playoff victory his regular season record combined with three straight playoff appearances probably gives him enough of that winner's mystique bullshit that football people love to get him a decent extension.

Since it was brought up, who are some of the notable later round qb prospects? I'd love to see the Bengals draft a project type guy in the 4/5th round range to develop.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Larry posted:

Since it was brought up, who are some of the notable later round qb prospects? I'd love to see the Bengals draft a project type guy in the 4/5th round range to develop.

Brett Smith from Wyoming. Get on board before the draftniks break his film down.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mike Evans' ceiling is probably Vincent Jackson, which is still a pretty awesome ceiling to have.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ozu posted:

Mike Evans' ceiling is probably Vincent Jackson, which is still a pretty awesome ceiling to have.

That's a really good ceiling to have

His ceiling could be Sylvester Morris

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

V-Jax owns and it continues to amaze me how he manages to get +1000k yards in Tampa when he's really the only threat in their passing game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Vincent Jackson is an incredible WR and I think he's a top 5 talent, not production

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yup, Bruce Ellington is gone. Probably a good move for him, since I doubt his stock would get any higher than it is right now after his absurd performance in the Citrus Bowl capped off a great season. Unfortunate that this is such a deep WR class, though.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

John Brown posted:

V-Jax owns and it continues to amaze me how he manages to get +1000k yards in Tampa when he's really the only threat in their passing game.

He's not the only real threat. It's amazing considering how terrible our offense, QB, and coach have been.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

What's everyone's opinion on Darqueeze Dennard? I relly like him, but he seems to be shooting up as a prospect. Will he be available at pick 15 in the second round for the Steelers? If we can land Nix and Dennard, as well as hold on to Worlids I think our defensive will be stout going forward.

e: drat, I'm seeing him go as high as 10th in the first round. So much for that.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 3, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

McNair totally wants JFF without taking him at #1.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Browns will trade their future to get to #1. Will draft Aaron Murray.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is also a non story because no one is going to say in early January that they're completely unwilling to move the pick unless it's the Andrew Luck year or something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Jerry Angelo ‏@RealJerryAngelo 2m

I can hear the commissioner saying right now, "With the 1st overall pick, the Houston Texans take QB Blake Bortles

This is why you are unemployed Angelo.

quote:

I can hear the commissioner saying right now, "With the 1st overall pick, the Houston Texans take QB Blake Bortles

from Central Florida University."

There rarely is a draft where a team’s number one need, particularly at the QB position, is also one of the best players. From the player’s standpoint, more rarely is the team that has the pick the perfect team for him.

That’s the case this year, assuming Bortles declares for the draft.

The reason I like Bortles the best is because he’s the prototype of what successful NFL quarterbacks look like, historically. He’s got a big arm, can run and extend plays with his size and mobility. Those are critical traits for the success of any quarterback. He looks similar to Ben Roethlisberger when he came out. Ben had more arm talent, but their movement, the way they both kept plays alive and the plays they made in the clutch to win games are very similar. Bortles also is a son of a coach, and he’s tough as nails.

Remember, Houston’s new head coach got a good, first-hand look at his future No. 1 pick, when Central Florida went into State College and beat his Nittany Lions. It was an embarrassing loss but one I’m sure the coach hasn’t forgotten, especially the performance of the Knights quarterback.

I think Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football (love the name and fits him perfectly) are exceptions to the rule. They have the “it” factor you look for at the position, but not the frames. The biggest concern for both, particularly Manziel, is durability. Quarterbacks are going to get hit and hit hard and it’s a long season at the next level. The fact is big last longer, and that favor Bortles.

The Texans get the guy that can change their fortunes soon and the player gets to go to a team with a great supporting cast and a head coach who knows how to groom him and both are in their rookie years.

It happened a few years ago when Andrew Luck came out and went to Indy, and he had the perfect coach in Bruce Arians. Arians was the offensive coordinator but soon left after his rookie year. Luck also didn’t have the cast of players that Houston offers.

This is going to work out great for all concerned. Houston can potentially be a contender again and the head coach can do what he does best and that’s develop and train a quarterback that fits his mold.

Drafting and developing quarterbacks is probably the toughest thing to do in the NFL. To find the right player and the right coach is improbable. We all know there are no sure things, but in this case I’d bet on this one.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 3, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

A few texts between myself and a friend who is a Bama fan got me thinking: How could a scout try and defend AJ's performance last night?

He was obviously pressured but a QB can't always expect a clean pocket. He didn't seem to move around to well, and he either held onto the ball for a long time or threw the ball out of bounds. There weren't many times when he either extended a play or made a great throw in tight coverage.

What you do you guys think?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

John Brown posted:

A few texts between myself and a friend who is a Bama fan got me thinking: How could a scout try and defend AJ's performance last night?

He was obviously pressured but a QB can't always expect a clean pocket. He didn't seem to move around to well, and he either held onto the ball for a long time or threw the ball out of bounds. There weren't many times when he either extended a play or made a great throw in tight coverage.

What you do you guys think?

A bad night for a team that didn't seem to care? That's about as much as I could say. It's been mentioned before that there is plenty of positive enough tape out there of him playing well enough to at least get drafted somewhere.

Fauxedit: I don't necessarily believe sentence one as it is very dismissive of how well Oklahoma played.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If McCarron doesn't get drafted before the 5th round, last night's game will only play a small part.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PrinceRandom posted:

A bad night for a team that didn't seem to care? That's about as much as I could say. It's been mentioned before that there is plenty of positive enough tape out there of him playing well enough to at least get drafted somewhere.

Fauxedit: I don't necessarily believe sentence one as it is very dismissive of how well Oklahoma played.

I'd be hard pressed to say that Alabama didn't seem to care. That was a really close game from all the turnovers. McCarron got rolled by a bad offensive line that couldn't deal with small speed rushers. Still his fault that he played poorly though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Odds Johnny Football is around at #21 for Arizona to draft? I'd love for him to sit a year behind Palmer and then start at QB?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Regnevelc posted:

Odds Johnny Football is around at #21 for Arizona to draft? I'd love for him to sit a year behind Palmer and then start at QB?

JFF probably doesn't make it out of the top 10, or even top 5 after his game against Duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Ah, NBD. I think Arizona is a year too early for a QB anyway. They need to go O-Line for another year I think.

Our 1st round guy from last year will be coming back, but it'd be nice to pair him with a top LT.

• Locked thread