Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Sorry, what I mean is how do I make it so my lovely team is the one people see when they attack me in the Black Widow tourney? Do I need to actually go into a fight to have it register, or just swap things up and go back to the main menu?

Pick your tanking team, fight a strong opponent, get your butt kicked, then yield. The last team that you complete a figh with is the one that will represent you.

Keep in mind that tanking is based on the number of times you're attacked, not the number of points you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Got within 1200 points of the overall leaders and ran out of missions. They have scored 800 points since and my missions still haven't reset. :argh:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I hit my 1250 and decided to bite the bullet on Grey Widow, who's now 5/3/5. Even though the tiles only damage the main target, the buffed group damage is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

I'm actually running low on desirable covers to chase. I need one Magneto Classic Red (but not badly, as he's 5/2/5 already), some IM40 Blues, one more OBW Black, one Magneto Now! Red, and after that it's just Hulks and non-Red Punisher covers and the Hood.

delfin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 3, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

delfin posted:

I hit my 1250 and decided to bite the bullet on Grey Widow, who's now 5/3/5. Even though the tiles only damage the main target, the buffed group damage is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

I'm actually running low on desirable covers to chase. I need one Magneto Classic Red (but not badly, as he's 5/2/5 already), some IM40 Blues, one more OBW Black, one Magneto Now! Red, and after that it's just Hulks and non-Red Punisher covers.

This is how I have my Grey Widow built and I absolutely crushed everything with her. Once I started using stockpile boosts, her and Rags were pulling off turn one or two kills pretty consistently.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Accidentally bought a powered-up when I meant to redeem my gamma token :negative:

Maybe they gotta put a confirmation button or something

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Accidentally bought a powered-up when I meant to redeem my gamma token :negative:

Quick and accidental purchases are a hallmark of the lovely pay to play movement in mobile games - enjoy!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Thanks to a weird bit of lag I accidentally spent 1100 on one of the guaranteed villain lightning deals last week, but I got a Ragnarok green for what would be cheaper than buying it with HP so I didn't put in a support ticket :v:

I am pretty sure if you put in a support ticket they'll refund you for the accidental purchase, I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they got a refund for it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh Gamma Bomb, what delights do you have today? Wolverine and Cap? :negative:

Oh well, at least I max skilled a character today. Bag Man. :negative:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Only managed top 200 & 400 despite running out of missions, but had great luck with tokens today.

My Thor had been stuck at 3/3/3 since the IM40 pve event ended, but today I got a red from the 30k heroic token and 2 yellows from consecutive standard tokens. He's 4/5/3 now.

Got purple Spidey and red Hulk from my Gamma tokens. I only got Wolv & Cap for first half of event, but counting the 2 green Punishers I sold yesterday, that's 4 3*s from the last 6 event tokens.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I bitch a lot about tokens, but I have nearly maxxed out my Classic Black Widow, which is awesome. I've added her to my normal team now. Meanwhile, my Spider Man only has 4 covers.. and 3 are the same thing.

Also, I went for ages without seeing a Bag Man, and now I'm swimming in them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Are the points hosed up in Amazon? I was about to get my Punisher cover and the fight I was in went from 2000 points to 127 :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You just went up too many places on the main scoreboard. It'd have to be pretty tightly packed for a drop like that, so it'll probably go back up soon when someone else has the same experience.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Clearly, this Hulk event was tweaked to Fine, gently caress It, Nobody Gets 49900 This Time standards. I'm at 48160, the leader's at 49386 and there are still two days to go.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah 50k was a lot harder to get the first time. I barely cleared it while crunching like a motherfucker. I was a lot more lax this time and I'm pretty consistently between 200-2000

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Our bracket busted the 50,000 barrier just now with three folks above the mark. I'm hoping this is a good sign and that fewer folks get shut-out at the doorstep this time.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Over 20 now. :smug:

(And sold already. My Punisher remains 0/0/5. I just want the Hulk suite again.)

EDIT: Love those slacker brackets. :smug::hf::smug: 600-ish points got me this.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I worked my way up to 2nd and I guess everyone I beat was offline. I was sitting there in 2nd at 703, watching Apocalypse Now in 1st rubberband all over the place as people crabbed him to gently caress and back. No clue if I wound up in first or second.

E: top 4 finisher. Close one. At least now I don't need to decide who to boot for an Invis I'll never improve.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I know I said this last time, but the losing points design is just so utterly bullshit. This is my pod 40 minutes out

At 15 minutes out I was still up 120. Then BAM! Knocked out into top 20.

That's loving retarded.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I fought tooth and nail with all boosts to get the top 4, so of course I end up probably 5th. I really wanted that yellow IM 40, you pricks!

At least in the next tournament I can get another purple Magneto Now so with the one I got randomly today I'll be up to 4 on him. I've been getting red and blue left and right, of course.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Ratatozsk posted:

Our bracket busted the 50,000 barrier just now with three folks above the mark. I'm hoping this is a good sign and that fewer folks get shut-out at the doorstep this time.

Just cracked 50k and I'm currently rank 40 in my bracket. Developer said only about 70 total got it last time.

In a bit of a quandary. I just got 3 IM40 covers and I've already got one that I stupidly built 3/0/4. Should I delete and rebuild with much fewer yellow? He's only level 30 and I almost never use him so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Karnegal posted:

I know I said this last time, but the losing points design is just so utterly bullshit. This is my pod 40 minutes out

At 15 minutes out I was still up 120. Then BAM! Knocked out into top 20.

That's loving retarded.

This exact same thing happened to me. There really needs to be a limit on the amount of points you can lose over a certain time. I was actively finishing matches every minute or so at the end and I still got knocked from #1 to top 20 in the last minutes

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

Fellis posted:

This exact same thing happened to me. There really needs to be a limit on the amount of points you can lose over a certain time. I was actively finishing matches every minute or so at the end and I still got knocked from #1 to top 20 in the last minutes

It looks like they also agree that losing points needs to be looked at. I found this post buried in the Suggestions forum:

quote:

Thanks for this feedback, y'all. I don't post here often, but I read a ton of the posts here and I really appreciate the insight of this community.

tl;dr: We're not happy that progression rewards are so unattainable, and we're making some changes in the next update that should help a bit. But the fact that high-end PvP uses a competitive rating system means that, ultimately, at some point your rating will level out until your team gets better or you come up with new strategies.

long: We want the top end of most PvP events to be more about player skill, team composition, and character advancement than about the amount you play (it's about both, but initially, our PvP events skewed towards playtime too strongly). This means that at some point, we want the score to work like a rating system. Until / unless your characters or your skill change, you'll eventually arrive at a rating that roughly reflects your team and you, and from there things will feel "zero sum".

We're finding the balance between a rating system where backsliding is difficult and you get to progress no matter what - like things work when you have a low rating - and one where skilled players with superior teams can find success in a reasonable amount of time.

It's not cool that the progression rewards are so unachievable, though, and I'd like to fix that. I expect that upcoming changes to PvP events in the next major update will both give you more options for protecting your rating and raise the average score for everybody. After I see how that plays out, I expect to revisit the progression reward thresholds and make sure the best rewards are within reach.
Will Jennings-Hess
Demiurge Studios
Lead Designer, MPQ

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It's really not that complicated. Two scores: Rank Score (crabbing is go) and Cumulative Score (where losses don't subtract, but yielding does). Different prizes for each.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unless he's referring to internal testing it's never been the case that the PvP events skewed toward playtime - it's always been about the final rush.

If you're getting hammered out of first place in the last thirty minutes it's because your team is not intimidating to players and isn't AI-good. That's the 'zero sum' part, it just only takes effect right at the end of the event because of everyone trying to metagame the backsliding.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Low level but high cover Spider Man + maxxed out Original BW seems like an incredibly self-sustaining pair. All you need to round it out is a damage dealer in the yellow/green/red spectrum and it seems like it can keep poo poo shut down indefinitely.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 4, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
More reasons for last-minute slaughtering:

* Bad positioning in the matchmaking system. It's easier to track this in things like Lightning Rounds where they happen in bunches, and I'm not sure that anyone has sussed it out completely, but the better you do in one event the more likely you are to get crabbed in the next.

* Bad choice of targets on the way to first place. Part of this is simply knowing who's likely to retaliate from experience. Part of this is the general rule: aim higher than you'll be when you win, so if you do get attacked you're still ahead, and you may be worth too few points to draw return fire. If you're at 600 and you're beating on 400s to gain points, that's a pile of 400s who are viewing you as a juicy last-minute target.

To a degree that's unavoidable as you climb. It just won't give you enough targets in your own league once you hit a certain point.

* Bad luck. Sometimes someone with 15 points just decides that you'd be fun to beat with five minutes left.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Managed to finish in the top 250 for Widowmaker somehow, got a blue Original Widow and Classic Storm each out of the three standard covers. This is really good by my standards. :unsmith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I have drawn nothing but Wolverines and Captain Americas from the Powered Up/Gamma Tokens until yesterday, when the fourth and final token finally gave me a blue Spiderman cover. And then my first one today gave me another blue Spiderman...except I had just paid $ to take him up to 4 blue last week. Is there anything else I can do with a sixth blue Spiderman? It seems seriously weird that this has always been what I've hoped for when I crack covers, and now I think I've gotta just sell it for 25 HP. :(

I think I'm a lock for the 3 Hulk cover reward bracket this time, and might even have a shot at the Wolvie cover -- I've been ending events at around ~100th place every day. But I've been trying to figure out what kind of team I'd want with him. 2/5/2 Spiderman's too good not to use, but who is a third? Probably not **Wolverine, since I feel like I'd auto-lose any board that didn't have much red or green. How is Doom? I get a free black cover tomorrow, and he's always been one of my favorite Marvel characters.

It occurs to me that the best team for Hulk is simply any team that's competing in a tournament. I don't know if his black passive would be that useful under human control, and he'd need to do serious damage before I could imagine using his green instead of making a dozen Wolverine strike tiles. I might just level him up so I can stick him in third with Wolverine/Thor and have him dissuade people from attacking me because of the guaranteed AOE passive damage.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 4, 2014

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So venom is worthless unless you are fighting spider man I take it?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

beergod posted:

So venom is worthless unless you are fighting spider man I take it?

Venom has a truckload of HP and does a ton of damage on an off color for someone that caps at lvl 35 (don't buy pink 5, it raises the cost of the stun). Even once you start getting into the 50s, he's still kinda viable as a tank.

Once you start moving into 2-star characters, he becomes worthless outside of Dark Avenger tournaments, and even then, there's much better.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Hit 50k in Hulk event pretty easily. Currently 700-something - lots of people are hitting the mark this time around it would seem!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's cause plenty of people got Punishers from the Avengers tourney, letting them obtain more points in the beginning. That's how I got my 2 Punisher Reds, at least. Just hit 50k myself, and I think I can hit top 1500 in the Hulk event, which is nice.

EDIT: On the downside, this means that I've been having trouble hitting top 600 since yesterday. Not that it matters, all I get from Powered Up Tokens are Wolverines and Captain Americas anyways.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 4, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

delfin posted:

* Bad positioning in the matchmaking system. It's easier to track this in things like Lightning Rounds where they happen in bunches, and I'm not sure that anyone has sussed it out completely, but the better you do in one event the more likely you are to get crabbed in the next.

* Bad choice of targets on the way to first place. Part of this is simply knowing who's likely to retaliate from experience. Part of this is the general rule: aim higher than you'll be when you win, so if you do get attacked you're still ahead, and you may be worth too few points to draw return fire. If you're at 600 and you're beating on 400s to gain points, that's a pile of 400s who are viewing you as a juicy last-minute target.

To a degree that's unavoidable as you climb. It just won't give you enough targets in your own league once you hit a certain point.

* Bad luck. Sometimes someone with 15 points just decides that you'd be fun to beat with five minutes left.

I never attack people with fewer points than me. It gives them a quick venue to retaliate and cost me 30+ points. I find that doing this helps in the final push, as I can consistently hit top 10 so long as I have enough buffed characters for the event.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

delfin posted:

Now I'm confused. I figured hitting lower leveled players would dissuade them from retaliating because they figure they'd probably get crushed, especially if they don't have any healers. Then at the end, I boost up and go after megawhales. Should I be just going after high-level threats the enire time? I thought that would just lead to slap-fights. It also doesn't help that I've been consistently stuck in whale brackets no matter what I do now.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Gallow posted:

Now I'm confused. I figured hitting lower leveled players would dissuade them from retaliating because they figure they'd probably get crushed, especially if they don't have any healers. Then at the end, I boost up and go after megawhales. Should I be just going after high-level threats the enire time? I thought that would just lead to slap-fights. It also doesn't help that I've been consistently stuck in whale brackets no matter what I do now.

Well, it depends on the whales.

Some people will just slapfight you no matter what. If they're significantly higher in points than you are, that works to your advantage because you will come out ahead in points from every exchange.

My current rule of thumb is pretty simple: there are no more 'safe' teams any more. I regularly target teams in tourneys that have 50 levels on all of my guys, and I assume others will use the same rule to target me (especially since Rags and Wolvie are the only two I've bothered to levelmax). So I aim above my head as best I can and it's worked out so far.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, I just ended that leg of the Hulk event in ~60th place overall, and now I'm paranoid. Are the two new missions on the main Hulk map those single-use missions to end the event, or do they unlock two more maps?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Phenotype posted:

Okay, I just ended that leg of the Hulk event in ~60th place overall, and now I'm paranoid. Are the two new missions on the main Hulk map those single-use missions to end the event, or do they unlock two more maps?

There's still another leg of gamma bomb missions.

e: yellow wolv & cap. Finally got that third yellow cap I needed.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
They unlock new maps, which have a 24h timer. It's best to get them done soon, and then wait a while on the events themselves.

Because any points you earn unlocking the missions will reduce the points you earn IN the missions, reducing your chance at a top 600 position.

Also, just got a Hulk red from a gamma token, first worthwhile thing which has dropped from them for me!

e: I think points are added every 8 hours, with a cap on missions, I think for the Amazon event the first mission cap was 300 and the last was 1000. Also, the rewards will go up the further you are from first place. So it's good to wait a while until you attempt them, but you start losing potential points once they hit the cap.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Are they non-re[eatable like the last time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks bud. Also, how do I build Hulk? 5/3/5 with red at 3? I just cracked two straight green Hulks from rewards (???) and could potentially have him at 5/0/1.