Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

That's a dumb theory.

Anyway, I'm up to the final case now and I couldn't stop laughing for even a moment during Edgeworth's intro cinematic.

I was frankly disappointed at the lack of women swooning over Edgeworth. I was pleased that they kept the "Edgeworth's witnesses never cooperate with him on their introductions" gag, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

There's a pretty persuasive theory that this was already dealt with

Damon Gant is his father. The arguments basically boil down to

-1-5 was written as a tie-in to Apollo Justice, which was in the works at the time
-Apollo (the god) was the son of Zeus (Gant's design)
-Similar character designs (Apollo and Gant are the only characters with split eyebrows, both have prominent forelocks)
-Similar traits (Both are mainly known for their intense stares and big voices)
-Gant is fuckin huge for a man in his sixties; he could've easily been an acrobat before he got into law

This is and always has been ridiculous nonsense.

It goes hand in hand with "Damon Gant is Pearl's father". For some reason people were really obsessed with connecting Gant to other characters.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Regy Rusty posted:

This is and always has been ridiculous nonsense.

It goes hand in hand with "Damon Gant is Pearl's father". For some reason people were really obsessed with connecting Gant to other characters.

It's the stare. No one forgets the stare.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus, wasn't it explicitly mentioned in 4-4 that Apollo's dad is dead? That doesn't really strike me as something Thalassa would lie about. If the guy'd straight-up ditched her, she probably would've said so (or the Magatama would've called bull on it).

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just glad that somehow in the process of becoming High Prosecutor and getting seven years more experience, Edgeworth still continues to bungle the names of witnesses in a subtle and ultimately unimportant manner.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd like for Apollo's plot points from AA4 to be resolved. I'm referring to his relation to Trucy, Kristoph's black psyche locks, and maybe an introduction of whoever the hell Polly's dad is. We're also probably going to see a return of Maya. I also wouldn't mind seeing how the cast of case 5-3 is doing.

I don't really want to see any of this return, it's best if they just pretend AA4 didn't exist. While Phoenix wasn't handled nearly as badly as I was expecting in this new game, I still feel really uncomfortable with him being the main character again, so the more they remind us of the stuff from that game, the worse it gets.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Plus, wasn't it explicitly mentioned in 4-4 that Apollo's dad is dead? That doesn't really strike me as something Thalassa would lie about. If the guy'd straight-up ditched her, she probably would've said so (or the Magatama would've called bull on it).

Yes it was and I totally agree with you. Those theories never made any sense to me.

I would really like AA6 to be a follow-up to AJ. I liked how playing as multiple characters was handled in DD, so I feel like you could have a case where you're Phoenix helping out Edgeworth in Europe / meeting Athena, and other cases where you're playing as Apollo finding out more about Kristoph, Apollo's dad, etc. I also really want to play as Apollo with Trucy as an assistant more because their dynamic was my favorite part of AJ and Trucy is a great character who got sidelined in DD. I'd also much rather that Apollo and Trucy find out that Thelassa is their mom from Thelassa herself than from Phoenix, but I don't have a lot of faith that will actually happen. I really like Athena and hope she gets more development (not that she didn't have a ton in DD), but not at the expense of Apollo's story.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Does anyone else think that Edgeworth looks really silly in those glasses? I'm not a fan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Line Feed posted:

Does anyone else think that Edgeworth looks really silly in those glasses? I'm not a fan.

You can go to hell. Though I will admit that he looked kind of dumb in the non-trial parts where you talk to him directly, but Edgeworth's sprite never looked good in those parts in the other games either.

And do we really still need to be spoilering him? I mean he was in the end of the trailer and you can download his "Objection!" for a ring tone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Edgeworth and Pearl appear in this game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Doesn't Apollo's dad being dead actually increase his chance of being relevant, a la Gregory Edgeworth and the DL-6 incident? In fact, that'd be a perfect opportunity for Apollo to learn about his relation to Trucy, especially because Lamiroir would likely be involved.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 1, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just beat the game, still working on the bonus case. Did anyone really guess the villains for cases 4 and 5? Case 3 seemed kind of obvious, but there was enough doubt created that you couldn't help but wonder if they were a red herring. And of course, Case 1 and 2 had the culprit revealed in the intro.

While the difficulty was definitely reduced compared to the older games, the sheer insanity of the cases more than made up for it. The stories were just great, really great stuff, and I ended up really liking the 3D models when I saw their versatility. The writers could do a lot more with simple 3D edits that would have required a whole new sprite back in the day. This might have been my favorite game in the series.

Can't fuckin' waiiiit for AA:6. I hope they do more with the synergy between the three Ace Attorney's instead of adding a new lawyer/prosecutor. I'd like to use Apollo's Tell Time while Athena is doing the Mood Matrix, or using the Mood Matrix to help break a Psyche-Lock--stuff like that. Their personal dynamic is really good, too.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I just hope they translate the next game. I hope this game did well enough to justify it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Casull posted:

I just hope they translate the next game. I hope this game did well enough to justify it.

I wish they'd release US sales numbers for it. Apparently DD was the tenth best selling game in Japan for all of 2013.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bwahahahaha, oh my god, we're actually having a trial in the blown-up courtroom?! I love this series.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Screw it, I'm double posting.

I beat the game. This game has probably the best bit characters in any of the Ace Attorney games, especially such standouts as Mayor Tenma, Scuttlebutt, Rimes, and Cosmos.

It might be from playing the DLC case in its proper order and thus getting a longer game, but (case 5 spoilers)I felt like Fulbright being the villain really worked, in terms of reaction to the twist. I liked the guy, drat it, and I actually got pretty mad when it turned out he was the villain. The character of the Phantom once it turned out he wasn't actually Bobby Fulbright was a bit hackneyed, but until then he was really, really good, and past that the gravitas of the case kinda carried it for me. Plus it's unquestionable that gameplay-wise he was an excellent final boss. Also his breakdown was awesome, but not as good as Rimes's or Means's.

I feel like this game has unquestionably the best standalone cases of the series. 5-2, 5-3, and 5-D(?) were all Hella ExcellentTM cases, and I honestly can't think of a character I didn't like in them (well okay Hugh was kind of a dick at first but he became pretty hilarious later.) The flashier trial sequences really helped sell the things for me, plus the animations were fantastic. Obvious standout moments include The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright and Means's breakdown, but probably my come-from-behind favorite moment was in case 2 when Mayor Tenma starts pretending he's possessed, because I started hearing him in my brain as Scratch from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, complete with the laugh when he started cawing, and it was amazing. Basically what I'm saying is I want AA6 to just be a bunch of disconnected odd cases the Anything Agency takes because clearly they have the right idea with those three.

I dug Blackquill, he was a fly dude. I especially like his goofy ponytail and how little patience for the perennial courtroom antic he has, but he was a challenging opponent at times which is sure as hell more than I can say for Klavier (speaking of Klavier, Yuri Lowenthal? Really?)

All of the anime cutscenes, without exception, were the funniest thing, especially the ones featuring the Finest Dude in Lawyering, Apollo Justice, because he takes himself so seriously, it's adorable. :allears:

I really liked all of the new gameplay additions. The Mood Matrix was a really cool mechanic (and the theme for an out-of-control emotion might be my favorite track in the game,) even though it was a bit easy, and that bit where you zoom into the Lawyer Brain Dimension and race down the bullet train in your brain to reach the ultimate conclusion is exactly as flashy a conclusion mechanism for this series needs to be and is therefore great.

Overall it was really good. Also really long, but that's probably because there were six cases. Five cases, really, but six cases.

~dark age of the laaaaaaaaaaaaw~

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright and putting the Orca on the stand after teasing the idea the entire case easily justified the DLC's existence. I'm trying to think of a better Cross-Examination in the whole series than those two, and I'm really drawing a blank. If you were ever on the fence about buying the DLC, absolutely do buy it. That goes for the game, too.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Vengarr posted:

The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright and putting the Orca on the stand after teasing the idea the entire case easily justified the DLC's existence. I'm trying to think of a better Cross-Examination in the whole series than those two, and I'm really drawing a blank. If you were ever on the fence about buying the DLC, absolutely do buy it. That goes for the game, too.

I've got a save game right before that first one and for when he first 'appears' just so I can see them over and over again, haha.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Line Feed posted:

I wonder how much the fanbase has to do with that character design. As far back as the debut of Apollo Justice, people were speculating on what the spoilered character looks like and drawing them with glasses.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Regalingualius posted:

To be fair, Thalassa herself was supposed to have been killed on stage in front of two other people, so the Phoenix Wright series has a weird definition of 'dead'. I believe Apollo's father was supposed to have passed away in a similar fashion, on stage.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Started case 5 this morning and I think it was spoiled for me. Can I get a simple yes or no? Was talking with a friend about how good the animations and models in the game are and he linked me to a gif of Fulbright shooting out some kind of grappling hook in court and not looking amused. I kinda forgot about it but now the characters are talking about spies and... is Fulbright really going to end up being the big bad guy of this game?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Punch your friend in the face as hard as you can.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Punch your friend in the face as hard as you can.

:sigh: Is it still worth it to go through the trial? I'm kinda depressed about it now. Worse because I'm insanely gullible so if I had encountered it on my own I probably would of lost it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The last case is still pretty good so yeah, you should still play it. Spoiling something like that was a pretty dick move, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I finished the game, is the DLC worth it?

Few thoughts for the game/ending but I think the reason why I felt let down about Fulbright the most is that we never get to see the Phantom's real face. I think that's the honest reason why people don't like the reveal all that much. When his head was sliced open I was expecting either a robot or a mask and when he pulled it off I forgot for a moment that I had just cleared Starbuck so started laughing. "WHAAAT?" Only for him to start pulling off masks. From that point on I kept making saves because "this breakdown is going to be amazing!" Then it came and he kept cycling through more and more (even Blackquil) and it ended with him and a new Fulbright mask- only to get shot and have his face covered and pushed off screen. I didn't care what his design would end up being (I imagined something similar to Ted's face after his goggles exploded) but not getting anything just left me wondering "they are going to show it right?" only for it to never come.

That gif really did ruin the initial shock though going in. Knowing full well Fulbright was the real mastermind the entire time I was just waiting for Phoenix to go "So who could it really be???" and let me select him already.

Though do have a few questions (though probably just overthinking gags) but when Phantom does try to escape with the grappling hook Phoenix just yells HOLD IT and he comes back down. How come he just didn't take off? I mean I don't think anyone in the court could of followed him. Then there's one point where he attacks Simon and Simon does his cut thing... only for the spy weapon to return to fulbright and everything goes back to normal. I would of figured Simon would of cut the tether or something. Also, did Phantom die in the Japanese version? It's a murder mystery game but it feels so out there that he got shot and all we get is a "whew he somehow lived okay moving on."

That all aside I really did enjoy it- I played 1-3 and... I honestly loved the characters but I found the logic behind some of the cases just far too obtuse and while being able to inspect everything for flavor text is fun, I'd often get stuck on pixel hunts for a item and spend a lot of time examining every screen for little things and just wasting a lot of time in general so I didn't have too much fun actually playing them. When I got to my first examination I was thrilled that it highlighted things of interest, let alone checked it off so I don't accidentally reclick on things. I even welcomed the fact that the game only let me examine certain screens and stopped me after everything was examined! Now I'm just trying to figure out a few name puns now as I'm shockingly bad at them.
Jinxie Tenma I get is Jinx but not sure if Tenma is anything.
Alderman Kyubi I think deals with foxes? I'm not sure.
Conner O' Hugh I have no loving idea.
Clay Terran I think is about the Earth but for some reason I don't feel confident in leaving it at that.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 3, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Clay Terran I think is about the Earth but for some reason I don't feel confident in leaving it at that.

Apollo is the sun, Clay is the Earth.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Terper posted:

Apollo is the sun, Clay is the Earth.

Oh god dammit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

First, his name's Hugh O'Connor, second, aside from the obvious close homophone with "you're a goner," the name "Hugh" is almost identical to the word "huge" and there's a great big "O" right next to it, in other words, "huge zero". Also I guess "con" from his last name just goes along with that as well.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Jinxie Tenma I get is Jinx but not sure if Tenma is anything.
Alderman Kyubi I think deals with foxes? I'm not sure.
Clay Terran I think is about the Earth but for some reason I don't feel confident in leaving it at that. [/spoiler]

Tenma is a Japanese Kanji thing apparently.
Kyuubi is Nine-tails in Japanese. His first name is Rex or king in latin so his name is literally King of Nine-tails (valley).
Hugh's name is the hardest, but they had to make something that sounded like a form of I'm gonna kill you and they found "You're a gonner/Hugh O'Conner". I think it's that his name has a O and it's like his actual grades, all 0's.
Clay is clay a part of the earth and terra is latin for earth. I'm sure the first draft for his name was Earth Earth and someone had to tell them to be a bit more subtle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The DLC is the best case in the game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Easily worth it. It's one of the best cases in the series.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
As unbelievable as it sounds, Capcom released a DLC actually worth buying.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

As unbelievable as it sounds, Capcom released a DLC actually worth buying.

Which they will rectify by not making any more of that kind, unfortunately.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nah, the next Ace Attorney will be pay to win. Want this incriminating evidence? $5.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Truly, the vision of Myriam Scuttlebutt come to life. Slip the prosecutor a few bucks, he'll tone down that penalty for you. The new Dark Age of the DLC (Defense Lawyer Corruption) indeed!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I had a stupid dream once about an AA/Ghost Trick crossover where Lynne is the detective and instead of the investigation segments you have a ghost trick puzzle to bring Lynne back to life each time to bring new evidence and in doing so change the facts of the case. I guess Maya would have to channel her at some point, too. The joke here is Lynne dies a lot.

I want a Ghost Trick 2 so bad :(.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Nah, the next Ace Attorney will be pay to win. Want this incriminating evidence? $5.

So you play as the prosecution?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

chumbler posted:

I want a Ghost Trick 2 so bad :(.

I think giving Ghost Trick a sequel would be the worst thing you could do. While I really hated the ending, it still ended nice and neatly. Adding more to it would feel really tacked on, I think. If there was a Ghost Trick 2, I'd prefer it to have an entirely new cast with similar gameplay and style, but I think a new game in a similar vein (in the same sense that Ghost Trick was somewhat like Ace Attorney) would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I just want a Ghost Trick sequel with the same or similar mechanics, but with a totally different plot. New characters, new mystery, new setting, possibly even a new meteorite.

• Locked thread