Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

By who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

lol internet. posted:

Anyone ever been audited before? What's the outcome normally?

My company is getting audited. Missing a lot of licenses it looks like.

The end result is you guys buying a whole bunch of licenses to become compliant or getting the poo poo sued out of you.

Before I moved into IT at my current company Microsoft took us to the woodshed and ended up with us signing an Enterprise Agreement. (This was almost 10 years ago) Currently IBM is requesting to scan our network as they feel we're out of compliance, but we're fine. They're having a hard time coming to terms we stopped using a lot of things we bought a long time ago. We're currently pushing back on allowing the auditors to scan, frankly we have better poo poo to do.

The Microsoft audit was worse than it should have been because we couldn't PROVE we were in compliance with some licenses even though we were. We had a mismash of OEM, Open and Select licenses and no one was keeping track of them. Anything we couldn't prove we paid for again.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

lol internet. posted:

Anyone ever been audited before? What's the outcome normally?

My company is getting audited. Missing a lot of licenses it looks like.

We get audited by Microsoft like every 3 years and the only outcome of it is buying a huge poo poo tonne of missing licenses.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Heh, pretty much a new IT team. The last team bought licenses for SCOM and installed SCCM. This shouldn't be too bad then.

Now I get to play with SCOM.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 19, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

hihifellow posted:

Even if you can't get him to do that, at least try to convince him to make the domains subdomains of the main org. Seven separate domains sounds like an administrative nightmare on top of the time wasted keeping them straight.

If you do that without fixing the underlying problems I give it like two weeks before everyone is put into the Enterprise Admin group since they can't work as Domain Admins anymore.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My boss just informed me that we need to provide remote desktop access to a small group of users that will support a particular software suite at all our branches rather than having our help desk deal with it. What is the best way to do this? These users can have absolutely administrative access to any machines except for a whitelisted group. I supposed we'll be giving them local admin on those machines where the software is installed. They also need to be restricted from connecting to any machine that isn't part of the whitelisted group. Should we be using remote desktop or some other software?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are the common issues a Windows 7 PC on a domain would have incredibly slow network speeds, while another PC on the same switch would have no problem at all? I'm talking like 10kbs speeds...

Basically just copying files from a server over gigabit ethernet.

I've tried updating the drivers (happens on different PC's though) and running 'netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled'

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Physical layer issue. The cabling guys that did a recent expansion at one of our offices did a lovely job and I've had a couple drops that function, but were very lovely. Re-terminated them at both ends and they worked fine afterwards.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

What are the common issues a Windows 7 PC on a domain would have incredibly slow network speeds, while another PC on the same switch would have no problem at all? I'm talking like 10kbs speeds...

Basically just copying files from a server over gigabit ethernet.

I've tried updating the drivers (happens on different PC's though) and running 'netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled'

Yeah, as said above. Check the cable going to the port, and if you have any testing equipment, check the run (and check the cable going from the patch panel to the switch).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, as said above. Check the cable going to the port, and if you have any testing equipment, check the run (and check the cable going from the patch panel to the switch).

I initially thought it was a bad PC (were setting up a new one, integrated network card) and we stuck the HD in another identical PC, plugged into the same port, and the files transferred at normal speeds. Happening on more than one port on the same switch.

Still check the cable?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 20, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

I initially thought it was a bad PC (were setting up a new one, integrated network card) and we stuck the HD in another identical PC, plugged into the same prot, and the files transferred at normal speeds. Happening on more than one port on the same switch.

Still check the cable?

No, that sounds like either the network card is bad or the drivers need updating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, that sounds like either the network card is bad or the drivers need updating.

That's what I thought, plus these are refurbished HP desktop PC's, but fresh out of the box, and maybe that's why there were returned and refurbed.

But I've got a tech who's had the same issue on two different laptops. Maybe it's the cable run going to the switch in their cubicle.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

kiwid posted:

My boss just informed me that we need to provide remote desktop access to a small group of users that will support a particular software suite at all our branches rather than having our help desk deal with it. What is the best way to do this? These users can have absolutely administrative access to any machines except for a whitelisted group. I supposed we'll be giving them local admin on those machines where the software is installed. They also need to be restricted from connecting to any machine that isn't part of the whitelisted group. Should we be using remote desktop or some other software?
If you're using SCCM it looks like you can delegate remote control access to specific collections, we don't have SCCM yet so I can't confirm this.

Dameware Mini-Remote Control should work too, it's licensed per technician and costs $259 which could be expensive if you've got a lot of technicians, but they offer discounts for buying more licenses. It will do exactly what you want. There's a more expensive version that gives you some AD controls and other cool features in addition to remote control. Best of all it supports pushing installs directly from the software, very nice if you don't have this capability already.
http://www.dameware.com/products/mini-remote-control/product-overview.aspx

quote:

DameWare MRC allows you the flexibility to set permissions for access to remote computers based on roles within your organization.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 20, 2013

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
From what I heard at Dell is that Microsoft ramped up the self-audit requests a whole lot more this year.

And of course we are dealing with a new Dell Windows rep who is telling us what their previous Dell Windows rep is full of poo poo and we are doing things wrong and we need to buy new poo poo, more cals, and probably SPLA.

CALs look like our big headache this time around, and the definition of "services to our customers."

edit: Does System Center track licensing? Because this time around I'm sure as poo poo buying Kace/Spiceworks/Something to track this garbage instead of an excel spreadsheet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It can track installations but not licensing per say. Through SCCM we found out a poo poo ton of people connected their email to phones and since we pay per device CALs and not per user CALs we're on the hook for about another 150 CALs or so.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

GreenNight posted:

It can track installations but not licensing per say. Through SCCM we found out a poo poo ton of people connected their email to phones and since we pay per device CALs and not per user CALs we're on the hook for about another 150 CALs or so.

Wait. 150 Cals for SCCM? or CALS for exchange? Not following you on this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

lol internet. posted:

Wait. 150 Cals for SCCM? or CALS for exchange? Not following you on this.

Exchange CALs. It's way cheaper for us to buy 150 more device CALs than to switch all of our CALs to user CALs.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We've gone through Microsoft's bullshit SAM Assessment (because, you see, it's not technically an audit), and it was a huge waste of time. Last time they "offered" an "assessment," I tried to convince them it'd be pointless, but off we went anyways.

Five conference calls and some reporting later, they agreed that the only outcome of the process was that we had to upgrade one user to a newer version of Visio.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I would of gotten my boss on the line just to hear me spew out some real nasty venom at microsoft for wasting mine, my bosses, and my organization time.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm new-ish to MDT, but is it normal that a bunch of Windows updates are getting injected into the boot image? I ran Update Deployment Share and the Windows updates I added from WSUS as per this guide (basically just add the WSUSContent directory to a folder under Packages) are getting injected into the WIM I load into WDS for initial boot. I only need the various NIC drivers injected into the boot image so that the machine can access network resources, injecting all of these updates is taking way too long.

How can I fix this?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Karthe posted:

I'm new-ish to MDT, but is it normal that a bunch of Windows updates are getting injected into the boot image? I ran Update Deployment Share and the Windows updates I added from WSUS as per this guide (basically just add the WSUSContent directory to a folder under Packages) are getting injected into the WIM I load into WDS for initial boot. I only need the various NIC drivers injected into the boot image so that the machine can access network resources, injecting all of these updates is taking way too long.

How can I fix this?

I'll have to look that over to see what exactly they're having you do. Are you wanting to have the updates applied to the WIM or is just specifying the WSUS server so that once the image has deployed, it will automatically connect to WSUS to download and install the updates good? I use the latter since different OU's have different WSUS rules in our facility.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

TWBalls posted:

I'll have to look that over to see what exactly they're having you do. Are you wanting to have the updates applied to the WIM or is just specifying the WSUS server so that once the image has deployed, it will automatically connect to WSUS to download and install the updates good? I use the latter since different OU's have different WSUS rules in our facility.
I followed that guide because it looked like an easy way to inject Windows updates into a machine when it gets imaged. I created the boot image in October 2012 and I've been trying to figure out the best way to update the image so I'm not sitting in Windows update for an hour after each imaging. I figured this would be an easy way to get that done since I already have a WSUS server up and running.

Ideally I could specify which drivers get injected into the boot image so I could select only specific network drivers I've added - I have drivers sorted into folders so I know which is which. Then I'd have the deployment task install the Windows updates that I've added to Packages.

This is where I'm at after 30 minutes of MDT regenerating the boot image:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Ok, looks like it's downloaded the drivers from Windows updates (Or, WSUS in this case) and trying to inject all of those drivers as well.

I'm not entirely sure how to keep it from downloading those, but as far as keeping it from injecting those drivers into the boot image, there's a tab under the Deployment Share properties for Windows PE. Under that, there's a sub-tab for drivers and patches. On mine, I clicked the radio button: Include only drivers of the following types: Include all network drivers in the selection profile and Include all Mass storage drivers in the selection profile.

Now, I haven't gone and set a custom profile. It's just using the 'All drivers and packages' profile, but at least now it's only injecting Network and Mass storage drivers instead of everything. The other drivers are later detected/installed during deployment. You may be able to further shave off space by creating a custom profile, I just haven't really had the time to sit down and do it yet.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, our users are getting more and more upset by the day that we don't allow them to install Dropbox, Skydrive or Google Drive on company computers (even though there is technically nothing stopping them from using the web based versions).

This was mainly because we think the idea of having company files scattered all over a bunch of personal dropbox accounts is kind of hosed up.

I've been tasked to find a enterprise alternative to a cloud storage solution that works multi-platform (or windows + ipad/iphone at the least) that gives us a bit of central administration and some control.

Can anyone recommend anything? Also, we kind of didn't want to go down the sharepoint road if we don't have to. We just want something simple that isn't going to require a lot of administration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doesn't the corporate version of dropbox allow you to control the users accounts?

We're using iDrive for laptops and we figured out any user can access any other users files, we pile as many users onto a 100GB account as we can. We're really just using it for backup but it's cheaper than say, BackBlaze which is $5/month or $60/year, which is a drop in the bucket for a $80k/year employee. Ugh.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't the corporate version of dropbox allow you to control the users accounts?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that we'd like something we can implement ourselves as a "private" cloud type thing.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

TWBalls posted:

I'm not entirely sure how to keep it from downloading those, but as far as keeping it from injecting those drivers into the boot image, there's a tab under the Deployment Share properties for Windows PE. Under that, there's a sub-tab for drivers and patches. On mine, I clicked the radio button: Include only drivers of the following types: Include all network drivers in the selection profile and Include all Mass storage drivers in the selection profile.
Thanks for reminding me about this. It turns out that I already had those two checkboxes checked, but the Windows update packages were being injected because my selection profile was set to All Drivers and Packages. Setting that to All Drivers instead fixed my problem.

Now I just have to figure out why those updates are causing a FAILURE (5627) error during imaging.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's probably half a dozen 'enterprise cloud file storage' apps out there. Box.com and Dropbox Enterprise are two that immediately come to mind. Egnyte I've seen lots of advertising for as well. All 3 of those solutions can do SSO, integrate with AD, etc.

They're also going to cost you a chunk of change, in the realm of 5 bucks/user/month. Not too bad if your a small outfit, starts getting cost prohibitive the larger you are.

kiwid posted:

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that we'd like something we can implement ourselves as a "private" cloud type thing.

Uhhh.... Owncloud has come up a few times in here in the last few months, that's about all I can think of to be honest.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 3, 2014

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kiwid posted:

Our company evaluated a few products and came down to two which were the front runners. Both are hosted locally and can also be used to expose existing SMB shares to internal (AD) users as well as external users and download links. One is called Varonis DatAnywhere and the other was Gladinet Cloud Enterprise. Another product that wasn't evaluated but looks promising is Acronis' ActivEcho and MobilEcho.

We also looked at a product from Tonido and decided it wasn't sufficiently mature so skip that one. Oxygen Cloud was dropped because the cost per user was well above what we were willing to pay.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Arishtat posted:

Our company evaluated a few products and came down to two which were the front runners. Both are hosted locally and can also be used to expose existing SMB shares to internal (AD) users as well as external users and download links. One is called Varonis DatAnywhere and the other was Gladinet Cloud Enterprise. Another product that wasn't evaluated but looks promising is Acronis' ActivEcho and MobilEcho.

We also looked at a product from Tonido and decided it wasn't sufficiently mature so skip that one. Oxygen Cloud was dropped because the cost per user was well above what we were willing to pay.

Thanks I'll check these out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I haven't used it personally, but I've heard good things about a product called "Egnyte" as an on-premise hosted Dropbox type deal.

edit: reading comprehension fail, just noticed skipdogg mentioned it too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arishtat posted:

Oxygen Cloud was dropped because the cost per user was well above what we were willing to pay.

Also their website is beyond terrible

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Karthe posted:

Now I just have to figure out why those updates are causing a FAILURE (5627) error during imaging.
Are these still the drivers from WSUS or are these now the patches/updates causing this? Someone in the comment section on that page you linked to posted this:

"You cannot install updates in cab format (imported from WSUS) in Apply Patches phase during deployment. There is an error during performing task sequence. You can only apply patches in msu format."

Maybe that's what's causing those errors?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

TWBalls posted:

Are these still the drivers from WSUS or are these now the patches/updates causing this? Someone in the comment section on that page you linked to posted this:

"You cannot install updates in cab format (imported from WSUS) in Apply Patches phase during deployment. There is an error during performing task sequence. You can only apply patches in msu format."

Maybe that's what's causing those errors?
Yeah, I saw that too and figured that might be my problem. I've spent the last couple of hours trying a couple of other things but to no avail, so the next thing I'm going to try is to download patches via WSUSOffline and import those into MDT instead. If that doesn't work, then I'll do what I should have done originally and spin up a fresh VM and recapture an updated image.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
This is a dumb question but it looks like we may not get network connectivity between two of our sites in time for a project milestone.

We have site A which is existing, and site B which we are setting up.
We had planned to create a domain controller at site B in the same domain as site A (which already exists).

As a total newb trying to plan this out, can we build out the 'same' domain at site B while they are not connected and start to populate it then sync it with site A at a later date? It would be a two way sync - ie different objects in the domain at both sides, there should be no or minimal overlap.

I would really, really prefer to not mess around and create problems later, but would need to justify delaying the date to the actual PM (not me) and I don't know enough about this to say either way, but my googling to this point indicates it might be a pain and require exporting/importing and so on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd be better off creating different sites in AD and having them sync over a VPN until your link can go in, if you create a new domain with the same name as your existing one then as far as I know you won't be able to trust them or join them together in any way.

If there really is no overlap between the two sites then you could go down this route but you'd have to call the domains different names and set up a two way trust.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Thanks - VPN is actually our current plan but the timing on when the firewalls to facilitate this will arrive and can be configured is going to be super tight so just wanted to feel it out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh right, sorry I assumed you were doing a PtP link and could VPN as a workaround. I wouldn't go to separate domains unless you have a really good reason to - defining sites based on subnet works very well and is sort of what it was created for.

I'm assuming you're going to have some sort of internet connectivity at site B for it to be useful so you could probably put something together in software / a VM appliance if the hardware is getting delayed to keep things on track.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I guess this is the place to ask: Is it possible at all to deploy a sysprepped image from a volume licensed Windows 8/8.1 reference machine to Dell OEM hardware and have it pick up the OEM license? This was supposedly possible with Windows 7 but the changes to OEM activation make it seemingly impossible in Windows 8. I think we are down to either booting up once and using produkey to grab the OEM key before it gets imaged or asking for a higher mak activation limit.

Every thing I have read says this is legal and kosher, but perhaps we are just barking up the wrong tree all together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We were told to install a KMS server and use that. As long as the OEM desktops have keys on it, it's fine to have them all activate with KMS even if you don't own volume licensing.