Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reive
May 21, 2009

GameInformer's new Super Replay just started, it's Illbleed (following up last year's Blue Stinger), and it's already started wonderfully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N114OfkpU1U

I think I've watched more good GI content in 2013 than any other game media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe it had something to do with Ellen Page being manipulated to kill a democratically elected President in that video?

Yeah possibly. :v:

Seems like a huge overreaction though. I wonder if other LPers got hit with that same clause?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Reive posted:

GameInformer's new Super Replay just started, it's Illbleed (following up last year's Blue Stinger), and it's already started wonderfully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N114OfkpU1U

I think I've watched more good GI content in 2013 than any other game media.

This actually might be entertaining, considering how much I loved the playthrough of the game when it was on here. Nothing gets old about cannibal cakes and Sexydahhhls.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

BigRed0427 posted:

I just watched Two Best Friend's Lets Play of Beyond: Two Souls. Hoooooly poo poo... :stare:

Part of me kind of respects David Cage. Indigo Prophecy is one my my most memorable gaming experiences. It start's off good, goes decently, and then at a certain point it just says "gently caress it" any sense of reality. In a way it's glorious.

Beyond Two Souls...man. Imagine making a lovely Friedberg and Seltzer movie about video games where scenes, character and other bits were taken from other, better games. Then instead of a lovely comedy with a barley connected plot you decided to write a serious Sci-fi drama. Then take what you wrote and jumble it around like Pulp Fiction to the point where all scenes lose their emotional weight and context because of what happens right after or next. Throw up some hosed up morals, a love story that happens weather or not you want it to happen, two attempted rape scenes, A white woman telling Najavo Indians how to perform ancient Najavo ceremonies, and a director who might be TO attached to it's star and you...well not even scratch the surface of what makes Beyond: Two Souls a joke.

Two Best Friend's LP is great though. These guys are very funny and I think the only reason I actually watched this whole train wreck. Only REAL complaint I have is't their fault. (Episode 13, which has a MAJOR plot point in it, got pulled)

That LP got me hooked on them. They make good points in regards to the game's story. Scenes that should be emotional are not because of the disjointed plot. You barely connect with these characters before being sent to a different time in Jodie's life. Or at one point, she is mad at a person and the situation she is in, but in the next scene, she is trying to hook up with that same person.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The best thing about that playthrough is them jokingly making up ridiculous fake plot points and then they actually loving happen in the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I tried to watch the first episode of that, and it seemed a little grating. I suppose with so many recommendations, I'll try it again.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried to watch the first episode of that, and it seemed a little grating. I suppose with so many recommendations, I'll try it again.

They are kinda dumb and sometimes gamers.txt seeps through, but still, better than average youtube superstar.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've been enjoying their Disaster: Day of Crisis LP because it's a ridiculous game that I never would have played myself, and I'm enjoying experiencing all of the stupid poo poo that happens in that game alongside them. The story isn't really that interesting or important, so I don't care when they start cracking jokes over the cutscenes or going on tangents. With games I'd want to see a "proper" LP of like Yakuza 4 though their constant going off-topic and not paying attention to the game gets annoying, but overall they're pretty good by YouTube standards.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I've been enjoying their Disaster: Day of Crisis LP because it's a ridiculous game that I never would have played myself, and I'm enjoying experiencing all of the stupid poo poo that happens in that game alongside them. The story isn't really that interesting or important, so I don't care when they start cracking jokes over the cutscenes or going on tangents. With games I'd want to see a "proper" LP of like Yakuza 4 though their constant going off-topic and not paying attention to the game gets annoying, but overall they're pretty good by YouTube standards.
Interesting. I thought staying on-topic and talking about the game rather than just shooting poo poo while something runs in background was actually one of their strong points.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I've been following 2BFP for a while now, somewhat before they did their Revengence LP. They've been very shaky at times, but they know how to restrain themselves. They actively talk about the game and game design aspects which makes for great commentary, and for the most part they're actually good at the games they play. I am concerned about their change in trends though, with their earlier LPs you can tell they were really focused on analyzing the game and making thought-provoking commentary with some well-setup humor, but now they're very focused on making the next big meme for what i'm guessing is their merchandise line. They still have good commentary, but stuff nowadays (namely their Beyond 2 Souls, V. Joe and Killer is Dead runs) has them resorting to pre-canned jokes in what feels like an attempt to establish them.

It's not all bad though. Woolie & Pat playing IHNMAIMS is very structured and fresh despite being somewhat similar to Retsuprae's run of it, and Disaster's shaping up to be really interesting since its so outrageous that Matt & Pat don't need to resort to pre-canned jokes. At least they're learning and ever changing, unlike Game Grumps where its just a loving public diary with no regard to gameplay.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Game Grumps, an episode became an impromptu podcast after the video cut out while they were playing. If they didn't mention it, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Apparently, Game Grumps was originally going to be a podcast.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Red Metal posted:

Apparently, Game Grumps was originally going to be a podcast.

I wonder how that would have played out if they decided to make their show a podcast. I'd imagine it would have been a bit better than what we got.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Combat Lobster posted:

I wonder how that would have played out if they decided to make their show a podcast. I'd imagine it would have been a bit better than what we got.

Well, we wouldn't have gotten this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGsRmEEx6s

and conscequently this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLve_vezbA

which I still think is pretty funny, all things considered.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

AvsPMod puts a lot more features into AviSynth. It used to be a recommended program in the tech support fort, and it should still be there because it is just fantastic if you want to do some video editing but don't want to pay for a program.

Thanks, I'd become used to doing everything manually with Notepad++, but this should be very useful once I've gotten the hang of it. Trimming videos by having to constantly refresh the viewing pane and finding the frame, while keeping an untrimmed video for reference will no longer be necessary.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I just wanna throw my hat into the ring on saying that I love Two Best Friends Play. Mainly because to me it's a podcast with something to watch, something to relate to as you have two guys shooting the breeze, loving around with silly jokes or awful references, while also being fair about the game.

Their Machinima series tends to play up the angrish a bit more, but their regular videos of full Let's Plays, are pretty awesome. Matt has this laid-back feel about everything that some may find whiny, while others find to be rather chill to counter Pat's usually more aggressive personality.
Pat, who's my favourite, has an energy about him in just not letting any mistake go when he sees it. And not to an annoying point either, when something lovely happens in a game, he'll hone in on it, break it down, even sometimes debate about it with an actually pretty intelligent discourse now and again. Like the entirety of Beyond Two Souls in which he actually did try to be fair on the parts that were actually good, unique, or just interesting.

And then there's Woolie, who seems to enact the most intelligent conversations between all of them. He's wild, he's fun, he loves to to get into debates for better or worse, and what I love the most about all of these three is that I can legitimately believe that they are friends. I like that, they're just friends playing something, there IS no actual gimmick between them.
I dunno much on Liam since he rarely shows up and the vids that he's in are all just weirdly quiet so I never understand what he's saying.

On another note, I've become a huge fan of Game Grumps recently for the exact same reasons as Two Best Friends Play. I never disliked them truly, but I just found myself unable to listen to JonTron when he was on there. Nice guy, I don't got anything about him, I just find his voice rather grating to me when he starts squawking and going crazy.
With Danny however, there's a lot more talking, there's more story-telling, the crazy voices aren't as piercing as JonTron's who...in the videos I watched with him, there was a lot of just "crazy voices and freakouts for nine minutes" rather than anything else.
I just feel a lot more balance happens between Danny and Arin than with Arin and Jon. But that's just me, I don't say either/or is better, I just prefer Danny.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Forgall posted:

Interesting. I thought staying on-topic and talking about the game rather than just shooting poo poo while something runs in background was actually one of their strong points.

They're inconsistent about it. There are times where they pay attention and times they just completely go off on some random unrelated topic, and then one of them says "so basically what we missed was ________". They've been better about it recently, but it still happens from time to time.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It kind of felt like Jon was getting burnt out on doing the show for the last few months he was there, which would explain all the boring white-noise episodes that released around that time where they just walked around aimlessly in-game while talking about a movie they saw the other day.

I'd say things have really improved ever since the changes. They recently started doing a board game series that's pretty fun, especially since Suzy is constantly moving things along whenever they start falling into their habit of dragging out a conversation too long.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'd say things have really improved ever since the changes. They recently started doing a board game series that's pretty fun, especially since Suzy is constantly moving things along whenever they start falling into their habit of dragging out a conversation too long.

I mainly like this show because it introduced me to Betrayal at House on the Hill and now I want that game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

miscellaneous14 posted:

It kind of felt like Jon was getting burnt out on doing the show for the last few months he was there, which would explain all the boring white-noise episodes that released around that time where they just walked around aimlessly in-game while talking about a movie they saw the other day.

I think it was less Jon getting burnt out and more the natural progression of their relationship. I remember in one episode they kinda had a little moment where they were talking about how when they first started doing Grumps they didn't know each other as well and weren't very close, so they were always kinda polite and trying to stay on topic, but NOW they can just be all "HEY ARIN GUESS WHAT" "WHAT'S THAT JON" *loud fart*. They were too busy chillin' out and bein' friends to give a poo poo about some boring game they had to play for weirdos on the internet.

I haven't really bothered with Table Flip. I don't think Suzy's very funny. Like I get that she got brought in to cover for Danny when he was busy with having literally everything on his plate but I feel like when she didn't work after that first go-round they should have found a new guest, kept trying until they found someone funny.

FinalGamer posted:

On another note, I've become a huge fan of Game Grumps recently for the exact same reasons as Two Best Friends Play. I never disliked them truly, but I just found myself unable to listen to JonTron when he was on there. Nice guy, I don't got anything about him, I just find his voice rather grating to me when he starts squawking and going crazy.
With Danny however, there's a lot more talking, there's more story-telling, the crazy voices aren't as piercing as JonTron's who...in the videos I watched with him, there was a lot of just "crazy voices and freakouts for nine minutes" rather than anything else.
I just feel a lot more balance happens between Danny and Arin than with Arin and Jon. But that's just me, I don't say either/or is better, I just prefer Danny.

Jon vs. Danny is kind of the new Joel vs. Mike. Everyone has an opinion and everyone's mind is a little blown when you say you like both.

Actually I really like the kind of "podcast with a videogame" feel of 2BF and Grumps. It's sort of the Platonic ideal of what I look for in an LP. I could not remotely give a poo poo about someone being informative, I want an interesting personality telling me what they personally think about a game.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Forgall posted:

They are kinda dumb and sometimes gamers.txt seeps through, but still, better than average youtube superstar.

I'm trying the first episode of Beyond Two Souls and OH MY GOD I WANT THEM TO SHUT THE gently caress UP FOR TWO SECONDS. It's not that they're all that annoying it's that they are so goddamn loud and talk just a tad bit too much.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

NeilPerry posted:

I'm trying the first episode of Beyond Two Souls and OH MY GOD I WANT THEM TO SHUT THE gently caress UP FOR TWO SECONDS. It's not that they're all that annoying it's that they are so goddamn loud and talk just a tad bit too much.

Fair enough, I guess I just got used to them. Just started watching Psychonauts videos by Game Informer and had exact same reaction.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Forgall posted:

Fair enough, I guess I just got used to them. Just started watching Psychonauts videos by Game Informer and had exact same reaction.

Video 2 now and their commentary style is showing some merit due to how loving insane this game is. Still wish they'd tone it down just a bit, but it's not that bad. I just find it sad that YouTube LPers tend to just yell whatever comes on their mind without any attempt at conscious comedic timing. Would recommend though.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

Jon vs. Danny is kind of the new Joel vs. Mike. Everyone has an opinion and everyone's mind is a little blown when you say you like both.

Actually I really like the kind of "podcast with a videogame" feel of 2BF and Grumps. It's sort of the Platonic ideal of what I look for in an LP. I could not remotely give a poo poo about someone being informative, I want an interesting personality telling me what they personally think about a game.
Wow it totally is, I never realised.

And yeah, I like the podcast with videogame because I wanna listen to podcasts, but I'm too inattentive to just LISTEN, I need something visual to follow along with. I mean I TRY to listen to Retsutalk and I do like it, but my attention only goes so far and I start veering off towards a Let's Play.

I'm horrible.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 3, 2014

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

Wow it totally is, I never realised. And yeah, I like the podcast with videogame because I wanna listen to podcasts, but I'm too inattentive to just LISTEN, I need something visual to follow along with. I mean I TRY to listen to Retsutalk and I do like it, but my attention only goes so far and I start veering off towards a Let's Play.
I'm horrible.

Yeah I can't do it either. This is why I LOVE Gabe and Yahtzee's stuff. It's two intelligent people making GBS threads the breeze in a calm and subdued manner while playing interesting video games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I've been enjoying their Disaster: Day of Crisis LP because it's a ridiculous game that I never would have played myself, and I'm enjoying experiencing all of the stupid poo poo that happens in that game alongside them. The story isn't really that interesting or important, so I don't care when they start cracking jokes over the cutscenes or going on tangents.

Sorry, but there's only one correct LP of that game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

:aaa:

You...are my new saviour. Holy gently caress I've been wanting to find these again thank you SO MUCH! :allears:

Seriously I'm so sad that LP never got finished because gently caress those guys were so horribly offensive, that they went beyond the point to roll right back round to funny again. Thank you.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 3, 2014

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

But TBF are probably going to actually finish theirs. They're nearing the point where Coulis' got abandoned. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how that game ends.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 3, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
This has been going around in the Dark Souls threads, but it's pretty appropriate to post it here too.

This is a blind, solo Youtube LP of Dark Souls. That sounds pretty awful, and usually is, but here's the catch: Kay, the one playing, is playing Dark Souls for the first time correctly. By that, she's patient, careful, and is very observant of what's going on. She listens to NPCs and reads item descriptions and even takes notes for what she should be doing along the line. She figures out mechanics on her own almost immediately when they come up and only rarely makes the obvious mistakes of most new players.

As for the LP itself, aside from being really unique in its alarming competence, she lets the game take the spotlight and mostly makes observations. It's very relaxing and bizarrely fun to watch.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm seconding the recommendation for Kay's Dark Souls LP. It's good stuff.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
That was super hard to watch. Apparently I'm a lot better at Dark Souls than I realized, even though I hate the game.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Forgall posted:

I'm seconding the recommendation for Kay's Dark Souls LP. It's good stuff.

Holy poo poo she started with deprived and the ring :allears:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

FailAtMagic posted:

Holy poo poo she started with deprived and the ring :allears:

I had no idea that the description for Tiny Being's ring is still wrong in the game, I would have thought they would have fixed it by now!

Also, this is absolutely facinating to watch and a real "slap in the face" to those who complain that this game is impossible to figure out without a FAQ/Wiki. If she really isn't looking at any of those, then this is good proof that you can figure out basically everything simply by paying attention to all in-game texts/descriptions, talking to all NPCs as much as possible and basically not being retarded.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's especially fun A/B'ing them with Slowbeef's Dark Souls vids he's uploaded.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FinalGamer posted:

Pat, who's my favourite, has an energy about him in just not letting any mistake go when he sees it. And not to an annoying point either, when something lovely happens in a game, he'll hone in on it, break it down, even sometimes debate about it with an actually pretty intelligent discourse now and again.

It's worth watching all three instalments of the "Disappointment Trilogy", as TBFP have named the three David Cage games. Their Machinima personas are pretty different from their actual selves, and it shows most both in the discussion of the portrayal of the mentally ill in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and in the SuperBestFriendsCast podcast (which also features Woolie and Liam a lot more).

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

gschmidl posted:

It's worth watching all three instalments of the "Disappointment Trilogy", as TBFP have named the three David Cage games. Their Machinima personas are pretty different from their actual selves, and it shows most both in the discussion of the portrayal of the mentally ill in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and in the SuperBestFriendsCast podcast (which also features Woolie and Liam a lot more).

I've actually noticed that behind all the incessant yelling they know which parts of a game are bad and why(even if they simplify it). There aren't many points during the Beyond Two Souls videos where I could accuse them of missing any plot points or of casually accepting lovely writing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

gschmidl posted:

Their Machinima personas are pretty different from their actual selves

Kinda reminds me of Mythbusters. Early on in the show's run Discovery tried to get Adam and Jamie to engineer some fights and drama ala American Chopper to up the ratings. They tried it once and said, "This isn't working, and this REALLY isn't professional, we're not gonna do this." Wouldn't be surprised if Machinima was doing something similar.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

NeilPerry posted:

I've actually noticed that behind all the incessant yelling they know which parts of a game are bad and why(even if they simplify it). There aren't many points during the Beyond Two Souls videos where I could accuse them of missing any plot points or of casually accepting lovely writing.

That makes sense considering they have backgrounds working in game QA.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I watched all 3 of those DSP "This is how you DON'T play MGS" compilation videos while home sick last week which lead me to (after years of purposefully avoiding TBFP out of admittedly my own ignorant SA elitism) giving their METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE playthrough a shot. And MAN, I was absolutely blown away at their ability to pick up immediately on things the game was teaching them, willingness to explore the menus, absorb gameplay hints, read text and other stuff.

That run alone has nearly killed my interest in Game Grumps now that I see it is possibly for one to make interesting commentary, try to be funny and be competent at the game you're playing at the same time #wow #whoa

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Wiseblood posted:

That makes sense considering they have backgrounds working in game QA.

I guess that explains why their "THQ devs having nightmares about Darksiders 2 progression blockers" gag in a recent video was so strangely spot-on, speaking as someone who tested that game.

Though I haven't really watched much of their stuff lately. I'm not sure if he got better about it, but there was a period around the MGR playthrough they did where Matt couldn't shut up about some weird opinions he had on games, and it bothered me whenever I tried watching their videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can never have enough DarksydePhil bashing.

• Locked thread