Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dogfish Head makes Chateau Jiahu, which is based on residue found in an ancient Chinese jar. I would rather have drunk from the jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that I liked spicy food, but once I grew up and left home and was no longer that one weird kid that likes wasabi, I realized I don't like jalapenos or habanero jelly or other things which seem like they only exist for people who enjoy burning sensations in their mouths. I don't even like sriracha and I don't get why some people can't live without it.

Worst spicy food experience ever was when I put the bird's eye chiles in my pho. The thing is, you slurp pho. A little broth got into my eyes and it was all over.
Wasabi is quite seriously a qualitatively different spice sensation than most anything else. It was the first spicy thing I liked, myself, in all its sinus-clearing glory.

Compared to hot wings and the like which burned my lips and tongue, Wasabi was a breath of fresh air. Because that spicy sensation is overpowering, and then... Gone. I used to pile it onto philly rolls.

Of course, I love spicy stuff in general now, and put hot sauce on most things.

Dec 26, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sling half a cup of lovely coffee into your next pot of chili, it makes it much better.

Decaf's fine.

Caffeinated chili is something I absolutely need in my life.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

01011001 posted:

Caffeinated chili is something I absolutely need in my life.

That's really not the point, and a half cup of coffee isn't going to meaningfully caffinate a six pound pot of assorted protein. It just complements the flavor.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's really not the point, and a half cup of coffee isn't going to meaningfully caffinate a six pound pot of assorted protein. It just complements the flavor.

yeah, then you grind up several caffeine pills for the actual caffeination. :v:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

dwarf74 posted:

Wasabi is quite seriously a qualitatively different spice sensation than most anything else. It was the first spicy thing I liked, myself, in all its sinus-clearing glory.

Compared to hot wings and the like which burned my lips and tongue, Wasabi was a breath of fresh air. Because that spicy sensation is overpowering, and then... Gone. I used to pile it onto philly rolls.

Of course, I love spicy stuff in general now, and put hot sauce on most things.

I put wasabi or horseradish on pretty much every sandwich I make.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's an easy way to make wasabi sauce? I used to enjoy tataki with some kind of creamy wasabi sauce (aioli?) at a restaurant which has since closed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aioli is just garlic mayonnaise. If you can get something as a powder (it's easy to get "wasabi" as a powder, though it may contain little actual wasabi), you can mix it into mayonnaise, ideally homemade (it's easy), to make a sandwich spread of whatever flavors you like.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

When I lived in China, I would mix wasabi paste with mayo as a sort of mustard substitute for sandwiches. It only took a tiny bit of paste to give the mayo tons of awesome zest.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sir Kodiak posted:

(it's easy to get "wasabi" as a powder, though it may contain little actual wasabi)

This. Someone mentioned wasabi and English mustard having the same oily taste -- that's because it is literally the same thing in America.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

dwarf74 posted:

I agree with you on every count except for the Philly Roll count. Cream cheese does not belong in sushi, that poo poo is disgusting (it's seriously the only sushi that I've had so far that I didn't want to eat).

Speaking of which, sushi is amazing, I actually have been getting into making my own rolls, and have even made halfway passable sushi rice a couple of times. I still only use eel as the fish though; it comes precooked so I don't have to worry about choosing raw fish. I'd use sushi grade fish, but I don't have the money to actually buy it yet (and I'm not sure that I entirely trust the market that sells it).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dirk the Average posted:

I agree with you on every count except for the Philly Roll count. Cream cheese does not belong in sushi, that poo poo is disgusting (it's seriously the only sushi that I've had so far that I didn't want to eat).

How can every variation of "[ingredient] does not belong in [food]" be equally wrong?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

moths posted:

How can every variation of "[ingredient] does not belong in [food]" be equally wrong?
Used motor oil does not belong in food.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
/\That's not an ingredient!/\

moths posted:

Inkcap mushrooms do not belong in brandied stew :colbert:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dirk the Average posted:

Speaking of which, sushi is amazing, I actually have been getting into making my own rolls, and have even made halfway passable sushi rice a couple of times. I still only use eel as the fish though; it comes precooked so I don't have to worry about choosing raw fish. I'd use sushi grade fish, but I don't have the money to actually buy it yet (and I'm not sure that I entirely trust the market that sells it).
Philly rolls were my introduction to sushi, so no apologies. And they're still awesome, so you have at least one terrible opinion. The wonderful lady who made them was a vegetarian, so that's what we got.

Nowadays, I prefer good nigiri most of the time, but I love most rolls I've ever had. And yes, eel is simply delicious.

Also, I miss warm sake.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

moths posted:

Candy corn in penne a la vodka.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Candy corn isn't food.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
I just made some chili with the adobo peppers, coffee, chocolate, coarse-ground beef (it advertised specifically 'for chili' so I decided why not), bacon, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans. (And spices, of course)

It's really fantastic. Pretty much the exact spice level I prefer too. The coarse ground instead of the normal ground beef definitely makes a difference in texture.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Daetrin posted:

I just made some chili with the adobo peppers, coffee, chocolate, coarse-ground beef (it advertised specifically 'for chili' so I decided why not), bacon, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans. (And spices, of course)

It's really fantastic. Pretty much the exact spice level I prefer too. The coarse ground instead of the normal ground beef definitely makes a difference in texture.

Did you have a recipe for this, it sounds really, really good.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Reason posted:

Did you have a recipe for this, it sounds really, really good.

No, I just was taking the suggestions from this thread and smashing them together.
1 lb coarse ground beef
1 can garbanzo beans (drained)
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 can chilis in adobo (the same thing I posted earlier in this thread, they had exactly one can of the stuff at the store and it was that exact can so I figure it was meant to be).
Some slices bacon.
Instant coffee (because I wasn't going to pay more than a buck for the coffee ingredient) in about 3/4 cup water.
Handful of semi-sweet toll house chocolate.

Add everything but the beef and bacon.
Fry bacon, add bacon. Brown beef in bacon grease, add beef.
Added chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano. Just tossed some in, didn't measure.
Slow cook.

knux911
Nov 21, 2012
Mike Mearls has posted up his year in review:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140106

Also the last Dungeon magazine went up as now they are going on hiatus. Chris Perkins stepped down from his role as Senior Producer of them and he is apparently going to be the lead-story and world-builder for D&D.

Not sure what he means that he will be "authoring story bibles to share with our various business partners".
Maybe other companies producing supplements like the OGL?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mike Mearls posted:

Working with the KRE-O construction toys team, we announced our plans to return D&D to the toy aisle for the first time since the 1980s. The first wave of products will hit stores starting in early in 2014.

Are they talking just about figurines, or is there some "let's market the D&D table-top game to children again" initiative that I missed?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rexides posted:

Are they talking just about figurines, or is there some "let's market the D&D table-top game to children again" initiative that I missed?

Seems to be some sort of game?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
That's a really weird article, because, despite being pure back patting, it's all poo poo about the D&D brand - and more or less nothing about Next.

This article feels like it's for investors, not actual D&D players.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This strongly supports that the game itself has more value as an IP placeholder.

And they're going to need to remove that Mandalorian symbol from the orcs(?) before Disney notices.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder if the Lego Heroica customisable dice things are patented. I'm assuming yes.

e: I have literally never seen Kre-O in a real shop, and I was buying Lego stuff for people for Christmas so I was in quite a few. Do they even try to compete with Lego outside the US?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 8, 2014

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's a really weird article, because, despite being pure back patting, it's all poo poo about the D&D brand - and more or less nothing about Next.

This article feels like it's for investors, not actual D&D players.

Amen; fluff for the eyes. All it needs is corporate buzzwords to make it complete.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

From what I can find out, the "challenge cards" packaged with the D&D Kre-O sets are target-shooting challenges using the catapult pictured above and other firing weapons. So, not really a board game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Amen; fluff for the eyes. All it needs is corporate buzzwords to make it complete.

But that's the thing, it's fluff for an audience I don't think reads this. People who read the D&D NEXT UPDATES do it because they're curious or care about the game, not the brand.

Unless Hasbro has started reading his articles, I don't get who this is for.

Edit: The alternate answer is that they have nothing to say or brag about regarding Next, but by god they need something positive to bring in the new year; here's a bunch of poo poo that's going great that I'm not affiliated with!

It's really fun to read this AND the end/beginning of the year MtG stuff. MtG as far as I know has had a perfectly fine year, and yet their article still mentions some of the mistakes they made and how they want to fix it.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

But that's the thing, it's fluff for an audience I don't think reads this. People who read the D&D NEXT UPDATES do it because they're curious or care about the game, not the brand.

Unless Hasbro has started reading his articles, I don't get who this is for.

Edit: The alternate answer is that they have nothing to say or brag about regarding Next, but by god they need something positive to bring in the new year; here's a bunch of poo poo that's going great that I'm not affiliated with!

It's really fun to read this AND the end/beginning of the year MtG stuff. MtG as far as I know has had a perfectly fine year, and yet their article still mentions some of the mistakes they made and how they want to fix it.

It might be for Hasbro. I'm imagining something like this.

"So how else are you going to monetize this?"
"Uhh...how about I go over it in my year in review?"
" :psyduck: You know what, fine. Do that."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is the most excited I've been about a D&D update in a long time. Mearls is giving a rundown of all the things that make D&D an appealing brand, which can be licensed and adapted by people far more creative and competent than the D&D Next design team.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

moths posted:

This strongly supports that the game itself has more value as an IP placeholder.

How valuable is D&D's IP anyway? Most of it (orcs, elves, dwarves, dragons, goblins, etc., etc.) is beyond generic. Sure, the novels sell, and Elminster and Drizzt are I guess fairly well known characters, but (a) does WotC need the game to sell the novels? and (b) How well known are Elminster and Drizzt? Would "Elminster: the Motion Picture" clean up on Memorial Day weekend?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
If they wanted to, they could do some really cool poo poo with Eberron.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also for me, a person that has more fun following industry news than caring about Next's bad decisions.

Although the fact that he's flat-out addressing people like me could mean anything. My best guess is that the B-team designing Real Next behind closed doors asked Mearles not to dick around with it anymore.

E:

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

How valuable is D&D's IP anyway?
Much more valuable than the RPG. It's functionally synonymous with "role playing game" and is essentially the flagship for the hobby.

Customers that are into brand identity go wild about this poo poo, and nerds get tribal about brand loyalty. They don't want to play a better game that's perceived as second-best, and I think that's why the underlying theme of the editions wars had nothing to do with 4e mechanics or game play and everything to do with presentation and intangibles like the "feel."
Which, coincidentally, has been center stage throughout Next development.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 8, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

How valuable is D&D's IP anyway? Most of it (orcs, elves, dwarves, dragons, goblins, etc., etc.) is beyond generic.
You have it backwards. For a lot of people it's not that the D&D stuff is generic, it's that the generic stuff is D&D stuff. If you're releasing a generic orcs and goblins film not tied to an existing book series the best possible thing you could do is to tie it into the D&D brand. Thanks to the LOTR and Harry Potter films making fantasy acceptable again this is a fantastic time for a not-poo poo D&D film to come out, which is why they spent so much of their year-end summary talking about the work they're doing on that front. Oh wait no they spent the whole year desperately going after their main competitor's market base and vaguely considering a D&D themed set for Hasbro's lovely Lego knock-off, my bad.

Nevermind, I thought the movie licensing situation had improved, not gotten horribly horribly worse.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 8, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Splicer posted:

You have it backwards. For a lot of people it's not that the D&D stuff is generic, it's that the generic stuff is D&D stuff. If you release a generic orcs and goblins film the best possible thing you could do is to tie it into the D&D brand. Thanks to the LOTR and Harry Potter films making fantasy acceptable again this is the absolute best possible time for a not-poo poo D&D film to come out, which is why they spent so much of their year-end summary talking about the work they're doing on that front. Oh wait no they spent the whole year desperately going after their main competitor's market base and pissing away money on a series of D&D themed toys for Hasbro's lovely Lego knock-off, my bad.
In defense to them what the hell do you want Mearls to say about a D&D movie that wouldn't possibly ruin the chances of there ever being a decent one made again?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Holy crikes, I hadn't considered that there may be a D&D that I can play with my son (and sons in a few more years). He turns six in April and is quite sharp, I think I have to find this or something better if you guys can offer a better recommendation!

Only about ten more years until my twins are about 12-13 and then I will never have to worry about having a full group to play with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MadScientistWorking posted:

In defense to them what the hell do you want Mearls to say about a D&D movie that wouldn't possibly ruin the chances of there ever being a decent one made again?
After making that post I went to double check the current status of the D&D movie rights and oh my god it's gotten worse :psyduck: yeah forget all of that.

Better answer to the post I quoted: In theory, quite a lot! In practice, negative infinity-million in lawyer's fees.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Between movie rights and video game licenses, Wizards of the Coast really hasn't had the best luck managing the D&D brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

Between movie rights and video game licenses, Wizards of the Coast really hasn't had the best luck managing the D&D brand.
The movie rights deal was made during the days of TSR wasn't it?

• Locked thread