Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

peak debt posted:

That's the worst about having worked with lovely software, you can't even put that crap on your resume otherwise you'll be stuck with it again on the next job.

I made that exact mistake, and still get contacted from time to time from companies that want someone with "Syteline ERP" experience. *shudder*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ookiimarukochan posted:

How in the gently caress can you end up with a job writing financial software and not have had it drummed into you WHY you don't store money as floating point values, ever?

I work with a database that includes financial information and it stores all numerical values as doubles. But you can't explicitly type them that way. It just tries to figure out whether you're calling the variable as a string or a number based on context.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I actually can't parse that (or at least my brain doesn't want to) - is it some sort of VB/Access abomination? Because I had to debug a VB6 app once (without knowing any VB, merely having touched BBC Basic 20-odd years earlier as pretty much every British kid interested in computers during the 80s did) and all the "helpful" type conversion caused far more issues than it solved. At least Perl has "use strict".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So with the new ISP line we have been having speed issues. We are supposed to have the 10mbit up and down, but we cant seem to get above 5. So I call the ISP support again and he gave me this gem:

"We have to have to port on the router that the internet is connected to set to 10gb Full Duplex"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

So with the new ISP line we have been having speed issues. We are supposed to have the 10mbit up and down, but we cant seem to get above 5. So I call the ISP support again and he gave me this gem:

"We have to have to port on the router that the internet is connected to set to 10gb Full Duplex"

Support making up poo poo is half the job.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

blackswordca posted:

But the internet is wireless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sickening posted:

I'm just loving the idea of a schematic which looks something like:

blackswordca's client <----> Router <----> :siren: INTERNET, ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE :siren:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

blackswordca posted:

Bell, right?

Good luck

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Alctel posted:

Bell, right?

Good luck

yeah... I am not expecting a quick resolution

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sickening posted:

Support guy here. Will fully admit to glaring angrily at all of my colleagues for making poo poo up over the phone because I know the customer will call me and quote their words later. Also, gently caress people who go "yeah, pay for a replacement, that'll fix it" without knowing if it will loving fix it. I just got chewed out by a customer for half an hour because of that and its only over because the "line" hosed up and "dropped" the call.

Dammit, why don't people realise that shouting at someone who wasn't involved won't do anything except make that guy not want to deal with you like, ever?

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Suppose i've just never seen the appeal of shouting at someone. To much stress.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 3, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

dogstile posted:

Dammit, why don't people realise that shouting at someone who wasn't involved won't do anything except make that guy not want to deal with you like, ever?
As the appointed representative of those of us on the other end, it's because someone needs to be yelled at. It makes us feel better.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sirotan posted:

Decided to give up on a KACE tech ever helping me. Since the script I need to run (that they sent me) works on the previous build number but not current, I was going to just say to hell with it and restore my backup from 3 weeks ago before I updated, then re-apply the script.

Except the backup restore feature doesn't work. It uploads the files to itself, tells me it's rebooting, and then...does nothing!

I guess it's time to call up and bitch at them.

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but since this was purchased by the last director and they're no longer there, why not just abandon it? Or does the new director want you to use it as well?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

dogstile posted:

Suppose i've just never seen the appeal of shouting at someone. To much stress.

It is to relieve the stress of your superiors breathing down your neck and blaming you for it not working while the "support" on the other end lies their asses off and sits on their hands.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TWBalls posted:

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but since this was purchased by the last director and they're no longer there, why not just abandon it? Or does the new director want you to use it as well?

"Ah gently caress it fell on the floor :("

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

Hah. Unfortunately, I think she only got it within the last year or so, so it's probably still under warranty. :(

Then again, a dropped piece of equipment may be denied warranty. Might be worth a shot?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Caged posted:

"...and caught fire, exploded, and was eaten by an aggressive warthog."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TWBalls posted:

There are some things that (when they're working!) do actually work well (patch deployments, asset management, etc) and at this point I've put so much work and my time into it that starting from scratch would just be a huge waste. We also spent a shitload of money on it so I'd feel really bad to abandon it. I know, not really my problem but I'd still feel that way.

And yeah pretty sure it's still under warranty. Now that I think about it the actual hardware has had the least issues of the whole thing! :unsmith:

Update: I called back for the second time today to open a ticket about the backup restore issue, and after a 30min discussion I was put in touch with an escalation manager who has assured me that "one of our best" is now on the case. I am to hold tight until they update me sometime early this afternoon*.

I also learned that you can restore the box back to a previous version but first you must do a fresh install to the same version number as what your backup file is. This would involve installing the major version number then trying to hunt around their site for all the various hotfixes you've installed since, because if the versions don't match it won't work. And by match I mean I was trying to go from 5.5.90546 back to 5.5.90545.... (Note that none of this information is provided on the box where you do the restore, or in documentation on their website that I could find.) Anyway the tech talked me down from the ledge and ASSURED me that waiting on a resolution to my previous ticket would be a lot less work for me in the end. Yeah no poo poo.

*If I don't get a call by 3pm EST I'm going for bitching round #2.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Khisanth Magus posted:

It is to relieve the stress of your superiors breathing down your neck and blaming you for it not working while the "support" on the other end lies their asses off and sits on their hands.

Hey, if we can do something, we usually do. However, emailing us repeatedly cannot and will not expedite customs processing in Asia.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
A voicemail came in... From a customer? The gently caress why did a CSR transfer a customer to the internal helpdesk line. She's been a CSR longer than I've worked here, and she didn't even bother to warm transfer it. The last time I had a CSR try to send a customer to me they were brand new and did a consult call first so I could at least tell them no honey the help desk fixes your computer not some random customer.

We sell insurance by the way. If customers are having problems with the website it is pretty quickly picked up on and then the CSR department informs the web team. If one customer is having an issue with the website don't send that poo poo over to me. Tell your lead and have them tell the web team.

The bright side is I get to come tell your manager the stupid poo poo you did...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"...and caught fire, exploded, and was eaten by an aggressive warthog."

"Ooops, it fell into the speculum bucket."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fivre posted:

Hey, if we can do something, we usually do. However, emailing us repeatedly cannot and will not expedite customs processing in Asia.

Well, then give that reason so it can be passed on to said blaming superiors instead of coming up with some bs lie or knowingly incorrectly blaming the customer, both of which are not going to placate managers.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
gently caress ticketmaster and this poo poo 10 meg cisco switch that is still here.

Also, the lovely database that they once used, claiming "you can't make that a VM because your storage is likely far too slow". This machine was an IBM manufactured in 98(?) and is running Win2kAS. Luckily this battle was won.

I feel like everything TM related we have breaks daily.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sickening posted:

I knew bartending experience would come in handy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They finally fixed it!!!!!!! :toot: :toot:

I created an internal ticket to confirm it worked, and now I'm going home to drink heavily.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

blackswordca posted:

I had a 50/50 that was only giving me 5 up. when I logged a call they confirmed errors on the line and gave instructions to our router people on what to set the port to. apparently the lovely CPE they use can't negotiate with a cisco router. The 10GB might be a little off, but setting the speed and duplex might still be the fix.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

I actually can't parse that (or at least my brain doesn't want to) - is it some sort of VB/Access abomination? Because I had to debug a VB6 app once (without knowing any VB, merely having touched BBC Basic 20-odd years earlier as pretty much every British kid interested in computers during the 80s did) and all the "helpful" type conversion caused far more issues than it solved. At least Perl has "use strict".
VB6 (and VBA) have Option Strict and Option Explicit :smug:

There's plenty of reasons to hate on the language, but this isn't one of them. Hate on the person who failed to use them.

(Link goes to VB.net docs, but they work basically the same in VB6 and VBA)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I got the slight thrill of accomplishment today that balanced out the rather slogging drudgery that encompassed the rest of my workday. For the last couple weeks we've been dealing with an ESXi host out in California that, when we look at the logs, gives us a bus error message, but no real idea what the hell the problem is or how to diagnose it. Our virtualization team finally throws up their hands and tosses the issue at me and says it must be a hardware issue.

So I contact Dell and go through all the hoops to get an error log sent to them, and in less than an hour they've determined that the I/O board is bad and needs replaced. Awesome! I call our on-site POC and let him know a tech is coming out to replace the I/O board and arrange for everything. Tech comes out, replaces the board, and the machine is back up and running. With one small exception - no more iDRAC. Oops.

Probably not a big deal if you have a staff that's experienced with something like that, but alas - we are not. No one knows a drat thing about configuring the iDRAC module, so the assistant team lead and I get our google-fu on and start searching for anything we can find. We determine that since the I/O board was replaced, likely the iDRAC module settings were also lost and need re-entered. Uh oh - no one seems to know what the actual settings are other than the IP address. Plus, how the hell do we remotely configure them since we can't access the system?

About this time the virtualization team lead wanders in, and despite orders to the contrary I start asking him about remote access methods. My team lead is on the other side of the cubicle wall muttering and bitching, but I ignore him because frankly there's no one else who knows a drat thing about these servers, so what do I have to lose. Success! The virtualization lead remembers that we set up a KVM server and wouldn't you know it - here's the IP.

I bounce the server and hit Ctrl E just like the technical manuals say, but an Emulex controller doesn't look anything like an iDRAC module, so I reboot it again to see what other options are available. Fortunately the assistant team lead is watching and sees a second prompt for Ctrl E to go into iDRAC settings. Cue two hours of me fumbling around with the settings and comparing them with another server's iDRAC settings before I finally stumble on the right combination of settings. Who the hell knew that having the LAN set to SHARED instead of DEDICATED would prevent the fucker from communicating?

I write up a short document that details all the important settings and how to access the system and all the piddly little details I had to work through to get the loving thing to work, and all the time I'm doing this I'm trying hard to not get pissed at my team lead for being a little bitchy about trying to get help from other teams because "we should know this." I almost changed my mind about moving over to the monitoring team just so I could see the emotional train wreck I would create.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Alternatively, if you have the Dell Open Manage tools installed, along with something like VNC or even Remote Desktop enabled, you can set the DRAC configuration through that. Neat tool to have when you need to set stuff like that and are unable to reboot the system.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Who the hell knew that having the LAN set to SHARED instead of DEDICATED would prevent the fucker from communicating?

I would guess you probably got to the bottom of this (or this is sarcasm), but just in case, if these work like IBM RSAs then dedicated means "use the specific NIC for the DRAC", and shared means "piggyback off one of the regular NICs for the server itself". So depending on your network setup that might explain why you couldn't see it. Handy if you're limited on switch ports or are shipping the server off somewhere and you know that an idiot will be plugging it in at the other end.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Scikar posted:

I would guess you probably got to the bottom of this (or this is sarcasm), but just in case, if these work like IBM RSAs then dedicated means "use the specific NIC for the DRAC", and shared means "piggyback off one of the regular NICs for the server itself". So depending on your network setup that might explain why you couldn't see it. Handy if you're limited on switch ports or are shipping the server off somewhere and you know that an idiot will be plugging it in at the other end.

Yeah, newer Supermicro IPMIs are exactly the same as you describe above as well.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I got the slight thrill of accomplishment today that balanced out the rather slogging drudgery that encompassed the rest of my workday. For the last couple weeks we've been dealing with an ESXi host out in California that, when we look at the logs, gives us a bus error message, but no real idea what the hell the problem is or how to diagnose it. Our virtualization team finally throws up their hands and tosses the issue at me and says it must be a hardware issue.

LINT1 error and in the DRAC it complains about PCIe bus errors? With ESXi 5.5 but you never saw it on 5.1?

chutwig fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 4, 2014

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So I contact Dell and go through all the hoops to get an error log sent to them, and in less than an hour they've determined that the I/O board is bad and needs replaced. Awesome! I call our on-site POC and let him know a tech is coming out to replace the I/O board and arrange for everything. Tech comes out, replaces the board, and the machine is back up and running. With one small exception - no more iDRAC. Oops.

Probably not a big deal if you have a staff that's experienced with something like that, but alas - we are not. No one knows a drat thing about configuring the iDRAC module, so the assistant team lead and I get our google-fu on and start searching for anything we can find. We determine that since the I/O board was replaced, likely the iDRAC module settings were also lost and need re-entered. Uh oh - no one seems to know what the actual settings are other than the IP address. Plus, how the hell do we remotely configure them since we can't access the system?

About this time the virtualization team lead wanders in, and despite orders to the contrary I start asking him about remote access methods. My team lead is on the other side of the cubicle wall muttering and bitching, but I ignore him because frankly there's no one else who knows a drat thing about these servers, so what do I have to lose. Success! The virtualization lead remembers that we set up a KVM server and wouldn't you know it - here's the IP.

I bounce the server and hit Ctrl E just like the technical manuals say, but an Emulex controller doesn't look anything like an iDRAC module, so I reboot it again to see what other options are available. Fortunately the assistant team lead is watching and sees a second prompt for Ctrl E to go into iDRAC settings. Cue two hours of me fumbling around with the settings and comparing them with another server's iDRAC settings before I finally stumble on the right combination of settings. Who the hell knew that having the LAN set to SHARED instead of DEDICATED would prevent the fucker from communicating?

I write up a short document that details all the important settings and how to access the system and all the piddly little details I had to work through to get the loving thing to work, and all the time I'm doing this I'm trying hard to not get pissed at my team lead for being a little bitchy about trying to get help from other teams because "we should know this." I almost changed my mind about moving over to the monitoring team just so I could see the emotional train wreck I would create.

Sounds like you don't have the enterprise drac license, it then uses the dedicated nic for that. If you're running all dells you can use the dell management console and backup/restore drac settings etc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nope. This language literally has only the following concepts for data storage:
Local variable/array (untyped)
Permanent variable/array (untyped)

Which can result in nonsense like this (pseudocode)
code:
create var1
var1="150";created as string
create var2
var2=var1/2
write var2; output will be 75
var2=var2_"butts"
write var2; output will be 75butts
write var2*2;output will be 150
This actually ends up being less problematic than it sounds 99% of the time. Of course, that makes debugging the odd case where it creates a problem suck really bad.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Must be the new kid working the monitoring desk tonight.

An email/text/page came in (3am local time) :

quote:

Dozens of things down at <secondary datacenter>

Example 1

Example 2

help

No other alerts in my messages, no customer complaints so far.

Any guesses?

Hint: I, the cloud services oncall person, should not have been called.

Reverse DNS crapped out. Everything is up but monitors that use ssh to DNS names hang up and timeout.

Edit: now my alerts are going off. Just took a bit for the timeouts to hit.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 4, 2014

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!
Am I too late for the "working with people with famous names" thing? If not, I work with a Tom Cullen.

Every time I see an email from them I think "m-o-o-n, that spells Tom Cullen."

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rob_squared posted:

Am I too late for the "working with people with famous names" thing? If not, I work with a Tom Cullen.

I work with a John Bunnell, which always makes me think of this guy:

However, while he isn't Sheriff John Bunnell, he is the John Bunnell who co-founded DragonCon, so I guess that counts for something. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

rob_squared posted:

If he's into scooters, say hi for me.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

namol posted:

Sounds like you don't have the enterprise drac license, it then uses the dedicated nic for that. If you're running all dells you can use the dell management console and backup/restore drac settings etc.

No idea - it's the Department of Defense, so I'm betting we probably do. The server has a dedicated iDRAC port (left side on the back) and four additional NICs (right side on the back). The issue isn't licensing, but rather the dissemination of information where things get hosed up. Plus, over 50% of our detachment left last year when a new primary contractor came in and told everyone they were going to be taking a 30-40% paycut. Naturally the people who knew all this stuff quickly found new jobs, and they didn't write anything down or pass this information along before they left. We've been playing catch-up and doing OTJ training ever since I started in March. Now we're in the process of re-aligning all the teams, and more people are leaving, and it's playing holy havoc on everything. That's how I came to be the senior-most 1st shift technician on my team - the others either left or transferred to other teams, and the ones still in the detachment have no love lost between themselves and my team lead because of his previous temper tantrums, so they never offer advice or information unless asked point-blank by their team leads with a flight lead standing over their shoulder. I'm not really bothered by the dysfunction, so my frustration levels are pretty low, so I doubt if I'll leave anytime soon unless a really good job appears.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

There's plenty of reasons to hate on the language, but this isn't one of them. Hate on the person who failed to use them.
To be honest, at the time I was mainly hating on the person who managed to develop a large-scale system in VB6 when the specification said it was to be written in C++ (hence them hiring a bunch of C++ types to come in and nursemaid the app during testing - project was running so late that the original programmers hosed off after writing the code, and before testing it...)

(Guess what the first line of every function was. If you didn't guess "On Error Resume Next" you're not even trying!)

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Nope. This language literally has only the following concepts for data storage:
Is it MUMPS? The idea that large banks are using floats to store financial transactions because it's ~fast~ strikes me as negligent if not criminal (I have only come across MUMPS in stories on The Daily WTF so it's possible that there are no actual issues here, but given the content of the stories, I doubt it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

dennyk posted:

I work with a John Bunnell, which always makes me think of this guy:

However, while he isn't Sheriff John Bunnell, he is the John Bunnell who co-founded DragonCon, so I guess that counts for something. :v:

I work with a "Ron White." He's a black dude who's the polar opposite of a redneck, and doesn't drink at all, and is not funny in the slightest. Basically the extreme opposite in all ways of the real Ron White.

In other news, I'm the one that screwed up on Friday. I built a shitload of machines, but used the wrong disks, so I either get to rebuild them or see if i can move stuff to the new disks in less time on Monday.

Oops.

• Locked thread