Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Blind Melon posted:

There were many lines that I read that had Terry Prachet's sense of humor, but the delivery was entirely lacking in his usual subtlety, usually taking the form of [joke] [reminder that he just told a JOKE]. There were a lot of times it read like a rough draft of Prachet's work. Not to mention the expanded cast of characters that now felt more like Greek gods slumming it with the mortals than human beings.

I think that's possibly a result of his editors understandably going a little too easy on his work out of sympathy for his condition now. I'm guessing if we got on our hands on a rough draft of say, The Fifth Elephant,that it would read similarly to his latest works.

They're still better than most of the schlock out there though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hipster Occultist posted:

I think that's possibly a result of his editors understandably going a little too easy on his work out of sympathy for his condition now.

I really wish people would quit bringing up his Alzheimer's like it's OBVIOUSLY the source of EVERYTHING DIFFERENT about him now, or that he's treated with kid gloves because oh they feel so sorry for him. Creativity isn't frozen when you turn 21, you won't write or paint or play the same thing when you're 30. Or 40, or 50. Growth and development and all that.

And I suspect the light editing accusation probably has more to do with extremely prolific writers having more experience than a lot of editors, which is probably a bit intimidating even if it isn't someone fantastically popular. If you just got out of college, are you going to have the balls to go and tell someone how to do the job they've been doing for 30 years? Maybe you would, but you'd be in the minority.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

LooseChanj posted:

I really wish people would quit bringing up his Alzheimer's like it's OBVIOUSLY the source of EVERYTHING DIFFERENT about him now, or that he's treated with kid gloves because oh they feel so sorry for him. Creativity isn't frozen when you turn 21, you won't write or paint or play the same thing when you're 30. Or 40, or 50. Growth and development and all that.

And I suspect the light editing accusation probably has more to do with extremely prolific writers having more experience than a lot of editors, which is probably a bit intimidating even if it isn't someone fantastically popular. If you just got out of college, are you going to have the balls to go and tell someone how to do the job they've been doing for 30 years? Maybe you would, but you'd be in the minority.

God, yes. I don't care how much you think that it's a good explanation for why his latest books have been less good; you simply don't know a.) what his mental condition is like, and b.) how his editors are treating him. It's a fine theory but right now it has as much plausibility as just "his writing style has changed a bit over time" until someone who knows him personally comes out and says otherwise.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Hedrigall posted:

Halfway through The Fifth Elephant and I don't know if it's going to be my favorite Discworld book but it may end up my favorite Watch book at the least.

I love the setting of Bonk and all the factions that Vimes has to deal with. Cheery and Detritus getting tons of screen time is great fun, I love those two. There is so much else to this book that I'm loving as well: the escalating tensions in the town; all the stuff in the dwarven undercity; the mystery about the empty clackstower; the superb b-plot with Carrot, Gaspode, Angua and Gavin; even the c-plot about Nobby vs Colon back in A-M is hilarious.

Goddamn this is a fantastic book. I want it to never end.

Funny you should say that. The Fifth Elephant is incidentally the first book I ever read that I was sad to finish because it was over.

Granted, part of that was because it was only the second Discworld book I'd read (after Thief of Time), and so I was left with the impression that all of the books were stand-alones and I'd never see Vimes or the rest of the Watch again.

Edit: How are you guys reading Raising Steam anyway? Trying to order it online and everywhere I see says pre-order for mid-March

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 4, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ApathyGifted posted:

Edit: How are you guys reading Raising Steam anyway? Trying to order it online and everywhere I see says pre-order for mid-March

It's been out since November in the UK.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Amazon UK have the Kindle edition of Raising Steam for 99p at the moment.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApathyGifted posted:

If you've got a kindle change the address on it to a british one and it'll let you buy through amazon.co.uk

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

DontMockMySmock posted:

God, yes. I don't care how much you think that it's a good explanation for why his latest books have been less good; you simply don't know a.) what his mental condition is like, and b.) how his editors are treating him. It's a fine theory but right now it has as much plausibility as just "his writing style has changed a bit over time" until someone who knows him personally comes out and says otherwise.

Wasn't there a TV documentary he was in a while back dealing with it?

I vaguely recall him saying that he struggles with his vocabulary now, and that he finds it difficult to remember the words he wants to use, which is why he dictates his novels to someone (cant remember who) to type out?

I mean sure you're right no-one knows for sure 100% why his writing style has changed unless they have actually asked him about it, but facts are facts and it's a bit naive to think that when you go from writing a book directly to dictating it to someone else (even ignoring the fact he struggles with remembering words) the writing style is going to change.

I suspect that's why things like Siri and stuff always confuse what I'm saying, they are just simulating a human's reaction :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Wasn't there a TV documentary he was in a while back dealing with it?

I vaguely recall him saying that he struggles with his vocabulary now, and that he finds it difficult to remember the words he wants to use, which is why he dictates his novels to someone (cant remember who) to type out?

No, Pterry uses Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate his novels directly onto his computer. He did dictate them to his PA for a short while before discovering it, though. The problem is that he's finding it increasingly hard to read back what he's written, and hence to review it. The change in style is thus more that we're seeing something closer to a first draft.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
People disagree on when exactly it became noticeable (for example, I still like Unseen Academicals's style okay whereas I know a lot of people found it trash, and I've read some folks saying they can see it starting up in Making Money or Thud even) but the fact of the matter is that there's been a now fairly stark downturn in his prose that is more or less correlated with the news of his condition and its advancement.

I don't know why any reasonable person wouldn't assume it was causally related, when after the first handful of books his prose and plotting had been rock solid for like 16 years prior to that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The recurring thing of something terrible taking over the protagonist's mind, forcing them to either fight it off or kill themselves/be killed by their friends & loved ones started in 2004, for what its worth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

The recurring thing of something terrible taking over the protagonist's mind, forcing them to either fight it off or kill themselves/be killed by their friends & loved ones started in 2004, for what its worth.

And he was diagnosed in 2006.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
End of 2007, actually.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Is this what we're talking about though? I have zero problems with this plotline occurring in Pratchett when it's written well. E.g. Thud and A Hat Full of Sky.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

To be fair terrible (and therefore good) puns were also a recurring theme, I liked them still though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PateraOctopus posted:

End of 2007, actually.

He publicly announced in 2007, we have no idea when he was diagnosed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Something is making me do things I wouldn't normally do" is a recurring theme in Discworld.

Mort (and later Susan) unwillingly take on part of nature of Death as well as the role. Susan spends a lot of time trying to not be Death.

Lords and Ladies, Carpe Jugulum, and Witches Abroad all have villains that get in your head (that's sort of the way Granny Weatherwax stories work).

Soul Music and Moving Pictures have "stuff that leaked in" that changes the way people behave.

The opera in Maskerade (non magically) makes people act crazy as hell, as does the war in Jingo.

Death seems like he wants to be different but can't fight his essential nature, which is kind of a reverse of the whole thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 6, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Let's not forget the Gonne and how it changes how you act all the way back in "Guards! Guards!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Let's not forget the Gonne and how it changes how you act all the way back in "Guards! Guards!"
That's a funny way to spell "Men at Arms".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

I missed that one, and probably a few more. Like I said, it's a recurring theme.

And yeah, that's Men At Arms.

Although the dragon gets into people's heads in Guards - lots of people don't manage to see it as a giant burning lizard wrecking the city because it's a dragon.

The idea of kings is another recurring one. Kings are in people's heads, despite the way A-M doesn't seem to have had a good one in living or undead memory.

Oh, and Feet Of Clay is literally about putting ideas into something's head and the terrible results.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I've been marathoning Discworld over the last two years (almost there, I'm up to Unseen Academicals) and I knew from this thread that something changed towards the end, but didn't know when. I noticed it around Thud/Making Money. There was just too much dialogue I think, with none of that nice Pratchett Narration (TM). Thud and Making Money are still decent, but nowhere as good as previous books.

Controversial Opinion Time: I mantain that Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic are actually good books in the series, most people here seem to hate them. Of course better books might come later, but as a starter I really like them. Some of the Discworld cannon is different in those first books, but I see it as an opportunity to see how Discworld (as a world and as a book series) evolves through time. I do need to reread them some time soon so I can see whether I'm talking out of my rear end, also because I plan to gift some Discworld books to a friend soon and the completionist in me would find it hard to buy books from the middle.

Also, there are some really bad books in the beginning to compare to: Equal Rites and Sourcery are both pretty bad, even if Equal Rites introduces The Witches.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the second book in the series Rincewind has to get a spell out of his head and the creatures from the dungeon dimension tries to get out in reality through Tymon's mind.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Markovnikov posted:

I've been marathoning Discworld over the last two years (almost there, I'm up to Unseen Academicals) and I knew from this thread that something changed towards the end, but didn't know when. I noticed it around Thud/Making Money. There was just too much dialogue I think, with none of that nice Pratchett Narration (TM). Thud and Making Money are still decent, but nowhere as good as previous books.

Controversial Opinion Time: I mantain that Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic are actually good books in the series, most people here seem to hate them. Of course better books might come later, but as a starter I really like them. Some of the Discworld cannon is different in those first books, but I see it as an opportunity to see how Discworld (as a world and as a book series) evolves through time. I do need to reread them some time soon so I can see whether I'm talking out of my rear end, also because I plan to gift some Discworld books to a friend soon and the completionist in me would find it hard to buy books from the middle.

Also, there are some really bad books in the beginning to compare to: Equal Rites and Sourcery are both pretty bad, even if Equal Rites introduces The Witches.

CoM and LF are pretty good parodies of fantasy lit, but I don't think they're quite Discworld in the way that Equal Rites was Discworld. They seem more like prototypes, in the way that Strata was the prototype for the series as a whole.

In a similar vein, a while back I was thinking about how the series has evolved over time. It looks to me like there's three distinct phases. First we've got early Discworld, which is very much focused on parodying D&D, Tolkien and other such traditional fantasy. That lasts up until Moving Pictures, possibly with Eric as a buffer, where Terry starts introducing concepts from Roundworld but with the status quo maintained at the end of each novel. The high fantasy stays mostly in the Witches books, though they get progressively more 'real world' with each successive one, starting with new world magic and the various fairytale/New Orleans stuff in Witches Abroad, the New Age witches and Verence's attempts at reforms in Lords and Ladies, an almost complete departure from fantasy in Maskerade, and then the Anne Rice vampyres in Carpe Jugulum.

Then comes The Fifth Elephant, and I think this is really where modern Discworld begins. The clacks is introduced and doesn't go away, as does every subsequent development in later books. That said, I think the style remains similar to middle Discworld up until Going Postal, though that could be because the chapters are a big departure from previous books.

What do you think? Sounds sensible or am I talking out of my arse?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think you're broadly right, I think CoM and LF are OK stories, but there's a lot of fleshing out to the disc yet to come (which is to be expected as it's only two novels in and maybe even PTerry didn't think it would last 40 novels!). One the the best examples of this is in (I think) Light Fantastic where there's a disagreement between the Thieves Guild and the Assassins Guild in a pub. In this novel they are very similar to "stereotypical" fantasy thieves/assassins in the way they are basically thugs.

When Vetinari is introduced and the Assassins guild is this bizarre gentleman's club + murder with rules and the Thieves Guild is an official city function it starts taking on a much more unique and interesting dimension.

I think you're right though, earlier novels introduce roundworld ideas and then mock them, and all the flaws we identify in real life with the concepts/ideas etc are the reason it doesn't take hold (Moving pictures, the gonne etc).

However in later novels instead of leaking roundworld concepts into the disc and then getting rid of them, the disc starts mirroring the roundworld permanently (e.g. police officers are called "Sammies" in the same way they are called "Bobbies" in the UK). Raising Steam is a good example of this, in an earlier novel I feel it would have been about someone who got this idea, while Vetinari et al talk about how terrible an idea it is to travel somewhere using an engine that can explode, and it all has disastrous results which are only just averted at the end of the book by a "hero" and city life returns to normal. Instead you have the permanent addition of the train to the Discworld.

Going Postal always struck me as a typical discworld novel, I always got the feeling he was trying out the chapters thing just to see if it worked. He used it again in Making Money, but dropped it for Raising Steam.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Amazing Maurice was the first DW book with chapters though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Who's the headless guy on the hardcover of Raising Steam?

I thought there was going to be a zombie or something helping Moist, but...

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mister Roboto posted:

What on earth are you talking about?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I thought there was going to be a zombie or something helping Moist, but...

Headless guy? The nearest thing I can figure is the shape on the last train, which is a troll, either Detritus or Corporal Bluejohn.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I suppose I could have worded that better and said "guy whose head appears to have no body."

Seriously though, didn't anyone look at the cover?

To the right of Moist(?) appears to be a head just sort of there. Possibly sitting on the ending or maybe flying by after being whacked off. I thought it was just bad perspective in the art and it's supposed to be Simnel on the other side of the engine, but he doesn't even have a neck.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 7, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I see a body. To be specific I see part of his back and left shoulder and the top of his left arm.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hedrigall posted:

I see a body. To be specific I see part of his back and left shoulder and the top of his left arm.

Genuinely trying to see it, but I don't see anything you're referring to. Maybe a quick mspaint of what you see as his shoulder? All I see is the engine curve.

Edit--Ok, looking at it without color SORT of makes what you see clearer, it's the fact his "arm" is the same color as the engine that makes it odd looking. Especially as the arm is so flat and streamlined and looks like part of the metal.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 7, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Roboto posted:

Genuinely trying to see it, but I don't see anything you're referring to. Maybe a quick mspaint of what you see as his shoulder? All I see is the engine curve.

Edit--Ok, looking at it without color SORT of makes what you see clearer, it's the fact his "arm" is the same color as the engine that makes it odd looking. Especially as the arm is so flat and streamlined and looks like part of the metal.

I dont have MS Paint but here:

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Now do Nightwatch, Hedrigall.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Hedrigall posted:

I dont have MS Paint but here:

Draw more covers please

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You may or may not know that the Goddess of Things Stuck In Kitchen Drawers is called Anoia. Knowing this, you may assume that the name is a pun on "annoyer", it being irritating when you can't open a drawer because something is stuck in it.

What you probably didn't know is that the Greek verb for "open" is pronounced "anoigo".

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey Goons, I recently just finished re-reading Nation, I'd forgotten how great of a book it is and how much I enjoy it. I haven't read any of his other non-Discworld books though, do you guys recommend any of them in particular? I know one (Dodger?) recently just came out.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Johnny books are well worth reading, although very much rooted in early 90s British culture - especially the first one, Only You Can Save Mankind, which is heavily based around computer games and sci-fi films.

Also if you haven't read it then Good Omens is great - he wrote it collaboratively with Neil Gaiman and it's about the apocalypse.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll check out the Johnny books, I'd forgotten to mention Good Omens for some reason, but I haven't read that book in years so it may be worth reading again to see what I missed or have forgotten since last time I read it. Thanks mate.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I read and enjoyed Dodger, and a long time ago I read The Dark Side of the Sun and Strata; I don't really remember much about them. I vaguely remember liking Strata; it's a sort of sci fi take on Discworld written two years before The Colour of Magic. I don't remember The Dark Side of the Sun at all, so it can't have made that much of an impression on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Hey Goons, I recently just finished re-reading Nation, I'd forgotten how great of a book it is and how much I enjoy it. I haven't read any of his other non-Discworld books though, do you guys recommend any of them in particular? I know one (Dodger?) recently just came out.

Dodger is okay. I certainly enjoyed it, but it's nothing stellar. I would recommend both "Good Omens" and "the long Earth" though. Just finished the long earth and it reminded me a lot of ring world, while still being unique.