Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What I liked about vortex puking on players was that I could actually use it for climbing to places you couldn't normally get to. Like on the defense mission in the cargo hold where trio ranks up to the point with hanging containers behind it. Before they changed vortex AND that map, I could use vortex to get to the catwalks above the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SlayVus posted:

What I liked about vortex puking on players was that...
Pulling people off consoles they're trying to hack.
Pulling people off downed teammates they're trying to revive.
Pulling people off elevators they're trying to ride.
Self-owning by being downed immediately after dropping a vortex nearby, rendering self unreviveable for duration.
Polluting extraction.
Making a complete mess of the dueling room (but then again, a lot of things do this).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've got a buddy who just started playing this game, and I'd forgotten how bad the new player experience is, whilst trying to explain it. Why none of the missions or trials are actually explained, there's no justification for what you're doing, nor why you've loaded a mission thinking you're on your own to find out a bunch of high level players with kitted out frames have already shot across the map and murdered everything, leaving you running up catching loot like a lackey.

It's the shittest best game ever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Now that I'm back to my regular computer, could someone explain how to get the Vermillion thing to me? Can I get it by scanning poo poo in the first area and aborting if not found?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

hooah posted:

Now that I'm back to my regular computer, could someone explain how to get the Vermillion thing to me? Can I get it by scanning poo poo in the first area and aborting if not found?

Unless the patched this the past 2-3 hotfixes, then yes, you can, since I did exactly that. The jadeleaf plants could spawn somewhere in the middle of the map but it's much, much, muuuuch less time consuming to roll the dice on the first garden. It's at least 10 minutes if you try to clear the map versus, what, 30 seconds of scanning the first garden and restarting if no jadeleaf is found.

In short, it's a shittily designed event that you have to cheat to avoid the mind-numbing needless grind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, so how do I get the extracts? I've already scanned a couple of the sunlight plants, but don't see any extract.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

wid posted:

Unless the patched this the past 2-3 hotfixes, then yes, you can, since I did exactly that. The jadeleaf plants could spawn somewhere in the middle of the map but it's much, much, muuuuch less time consuming to roll the dice on the first garden. It's at least 10 minutes if you try to clear the map versus, what, 30 seconds of scanning the first garden and restarting if no jadeleaf is found.

In short, it's a shittily designed event that you have to cheat to avoid the mind-numbing needless grind.

I can confirm that the reroll spam does indeed still work. I took that approach to get my jadeleaves two days ago after picking this game back up again. Ran the mission last night with a buddy and two spergs from his guild that are trying to force their guild total up. My Frost's Snowglobe carried the day, so it's nice to see that they haven't hosed that up at least.

E: Extracts are automatically added to your inventory when you scan a plant.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

hooah posted:

Ok, so how do I get the extracts? I've already scanned a couple of the sunlight plants, but don't see any extract.

Just go to the wiki it's explained there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sandweed posted:

Just go to the wiki it's explained there.

I did, and it's not explained very clearly, which is why I'm asking.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Like every other item in the game, you need to finish the mission if you find Jadeleaf/Lilies, otherwise it doesn't get added to your inventory. Only abort if the garden is empty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What Rhino skills should I beef up and/or what should I ignore?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
All of Rhino's skills are pretty great, but Iron Skin is the best skill in the game. Even if Rhino had no other skills he would still be the best frame in the game.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Power strength and efficiency are the only things that effect Iron Skin.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
*zips up kb+m flamesuit* I enjoy playing this with a controller. Full stop.

That said, is there any reason why the game menus are only half functional with controllers? I assume it was properly implemented on PS4. Can't select planets, work with your inventory, etc with controller but can still move forward/back in menus.

One more question for PS4 users: does it map your controller differently to give you access to both sprint toggle AND roll? I love having roll available but holding down left stick to sprint in unacceptable.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Feenix posted:

What Rhino skills should I beef up and/or what should I ignore?

Short version: Get Iron Skin (2) and Rhino Stomp (4) to rank3 immediately -- the other two skills are interesting but non-essential. If you have them, put in the Streamline and Focus mods.

Long version:

Rhino has four abilities:

1) Rhino Charge. Consumes 25 energy to charge forward a short distance and hit everything within 2 meters of your stopping point. Any target hit by Rhino Charge will be knocked over, except for bosses and very heavy units, and they'll take a small amount of damage. (This doesn't have a ton of uses; however, it can be handy for knocking over targets in Capture missions, stopping their run and giving you time to unload on them. Most of the time, though, I run with something else in that mod slot.)

2) Iron Skin. Consumes 50 energy to give you an extra damage shield (absorbs 1200 damage at rank 3 before mods). There's no time limit; once activated, it does not expire until you've taken enough damage to consume the shield. There is no visible meter for how much is "left" on the shield, although there is a visual effect on your frame while it's activated. While Iron Skin is active, you can't be stunned or knocked over (in particular, this lets you walk through Corpus laser doors); you take no damage to your health or your normal shields, and your shields will regen. You become immune to all debuffs, including energy drains. Finally, while it's active, enemies will prioritize you over non-Rhino allies or Cryopods. (This grossly overpowered ability is the main reason everyone uses Rhino. Basically, you cast this as soon as the game starts with your starting energy, and then basically ignore all enemies; immediately recast it if it ever drops and you start taking damage again.)

e: Forgot to mention one other bit of awesomeness. Because Iron Skin does not scale with shield amount, you retain full tanking ability even when playing ice levels, or when carrying Bleeding/Decaying Keys into an OD run.

3) Roar. Consumes 75 energy to give you, and all friendlies within range of you, a buff to all damage output for a short period of time. At rank 3, it's a +50% damage buff that lasts for 15 seconds. (This ability is basically junk, outside of some ODDs. The range is too short, the buff is too short-lived, and the mod cost too high for what you get. There are better uses of a Warframe mod slot. I've actually formaed one of my = slots to - because of how bad it is.)

4) Rhino Stomp. Consumes 100 energy to hit everyone within 25 meters for 800 Blast damage; anything that is not instantly killed will be knocked up into the air, stunned, and suspended in midair for 8 seconds. Enemies that are immune to stuns/knockdowns will instead get a 97% speed reduction for 8 seconds. The range is treated as spherical, and will hit things above/below you and ignore walls and doors. (This is the other reason people use Rhino; it's a good AOE strike with a stun. Quite a few bosses are vulnerable to the stun as well, allowing a Rhino with Streamline and Flow to stunlock them for the length of the fight.)

Regarding non-ability mods to put in your Rhino:

Essential:
* Streamline (reduced energy cost for abilities)
* Focus (increased potency for abilities -- improves both Iron Skin absorption and Rhino Stomp damage)
* Energy Siphon (energy regeneration aura). This is essential for soloing, or for sustained defense/survival missions. For easier missions, a single cast of Iron Skin will last you the entire run, and you can take something else instead like Rifle Amp.

Not bad:
* Flow (+maxenergy)
* Vitality, Vigor, Redirection (+hp) -- if your Iron Skin drops, you need to survive long enough to recast it.
* Stretch (+range on Rhino Stomp)

Do not use:
* Steel Fiber (doesn't apply to Iron Skin)
* Any of the damage resistance mods (doesn't apply to Iron Skin)
* Constitution, Surefooted, Shock Absorbers (you're immune to knockdowns when Iron Skin is up, which it should always be)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 4, 2014

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Flipswitch posted:

I've got a buddy who just started playing this game, and I'd forgotten how bad the new player experience is, whilst trying to explain it. Why none of the missions or trials are actually explained, there's no justification for what you're doing, nor why you've loaded a mission thinking you're on your own to find out a bunch of high level players with kitted out frames have already shot across the map and murdered everything, leaving you running up catching loot like a lackey.

It's the shittest best game ever.

This was my experience to a T when I tried the game, except for the part with your last sentence.

What stuff did you explain to your friend that could help me enjoy the game?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
discovered in my collections that I only got the MK-1 Braton to level 29 before trashing it.

God drat it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vriess posted:

discovered in my collections that I only got the MK-1 Braton to level 29 before trashing it.

God drat it.

It's not worth the 100 mastery XP. Don't do this to yourself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ullerrm posted:

Short version: Get Iron Skin (2) and Rhino Stomp (4) to rank3 immediately -- the other two skills are interesting but non-essential. If you have them, put in the Streamline and Focus mods.

Long version:

Rhino has four abilities:

1) Rhino Charge. Consumes 25 energy to charge forward a short distance and hit everything within 2 meters of your stopping point. Any target hit by Rhino Charge will be knocked over, except for bosses and very heavy units, and they'll take a small amount of damage. (This doesn't have a ton of uses; however, it can be handy for knocking over targets in Capture missions, stopping their run and giving you time to unload on them. Most of the time, though, I run with something else in that mod slot.)

2) Iron Skin. Consumes 50 energy to give you an extra damage shield (absorbs 1200 damage at rank 3 before mods). There's no time limit; once activated, it does not expire until you've taken enough damage to consume the shield. There is no visible meter for how much is "left" on the shield, although there is a visual effect on your frame while it's activated. While Iron Skin is active, you can't be stunned or knocked over (in particular, this lets you walk through Corpus laser doors); you take no damage to your health or your normal shields, and your shields will regen. You become immune to all debuffs, including energy drains. Finally, while it's active, enemies will prioritize you over non-Rhino allies or Cryopods. (This grossly overpowered ability is the main reason everyone uses Rhino. Basically, you cast this as soon as the game starts with your starting energy, and then basically ignore all enemies; immediately recast it if it ever drops and you start taking damage again.)

3) Roar. Consumes 75 energy to give you, and all friendlies within range of you, a buff to all damage output for a short period of time. At rank 3, it's a +50% damage buff that lasts for 15 seconds. (This ability is basically junk, outside of some ODDs. The range is too short, the buff is too short-lived, and the mod cost too high for what you get. There are better uses of a Warframe mod slot. I've actually formaed one of my = slots to - because of how bad it is.)

4) Rhino Stomp. Consumes 100 energy to hit everyone within 25 meters for 800 Blast damage; anything that is not instantly killed will be knocked up into the air, stunned, and suspended in midair for 8 seconds. Enemies that are immune to stuns/knockdowns will instead get a 97% speed reduction for 8 seconds. The range is treated as spherical, and will hit things above/below you and ignore walls and doors. (This is the other reason people use Rhino; it's a good AOE strike with a stun. Quite a few bosses are vulnerable to the stun as well, allowing a Rhino with Streamline and Flow to stunlock them for the length of the fight.)

Regarding non-ability mods to put in your Rhino:

Essential:
* Streamline (reduced energy cost for abilities)
* Focus (increased potency for abilities -- improves both Iron Skin absorption and Rhino Stomp damage)
* Energy Siphon (energy regeneration aura)

Not bad:
* Flow (+maxenergy)
* Vitality, Vigor, Redirection (+hp) -- if your Iron Skin drops, you need to survive long enough to recast it.
* Stretch (+range on Rhino Stomp)

Do not use:
* Steel Fiber (doesn't apply to Iron Skin)
* Any of the damage resistance mods (doesn't apply to Iron Skin)
* Constitution, Surefooted, Shock Absorbers (you're immune to knockdowns when Iron Skin is up, which it should always be)

Thank you my good sir!!!!

[edit] When you say "get this to rank3 immediately) is that just 2 "level ups" via fusion? I just used Fusion Cores to get it to fill it's Xp bar twice. Is that Rank 3 for Iron Skin?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 3, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Rhino's been broken good ever since update 10. He's basically a party of four unto himself, and corrupted mods make him effectively immortal. He's a jack of all trades, master at most. Got CC like Vauban/Nyx, top tier damage, fourth fastest movement speed, a serviceable nuke, excellent mobility plus loving Iron Skin. It's crazy how good he is at pretty much everything (which kind of makes their weird obsession with pigeonholing Ember into a lovely caster type frame even weirder in retrospect).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Any PS4 goons have a spare split chamber they would be willing to trade for? Have a few rare/corrupted mods

Psn: TheDuggler

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Feenix posted:

Thank you my good sir!!!!

[edit] When you say "get this to rank3 immediately) is that just 2 "level ups" via fusion? I just used Fusion Cores to get it to fill it's Xp bar twice. Is that Rank 3 for Iron Skin?

If all the little pips on the left are filled, then yes, that is maximum rank. Thankfully ability mods don't take a lot to max out. If you select it for fusion and can't fuse anything else into it, you're good.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Feenix posted:

Check the little black and white notches to the left of a mod card, that's the mod's level. All Warframe abilities start at Rank 0 (all black notches) and go up to 3 (all white). He's basically saying you should max them out (that's 3 levelups).

E:f,b sort of.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

*zips up kb+m flamesuit* I enjoy playing this with a controller. Full stop.

That said, is there any reason why the game menus are only half functional with controllers? I assume it was properly implemented on PS4. Can't select planets, work with your inventory, etc with controller but can still move forward/back in menus.

One more question for PS4 users: does it map your controller differently to give you access to both sprint toggle AND roll? I love having roll available but holding down left stick to sprint in unacceptable.

I've been using a 360 controller since I started playing around update 7 and I dont think theyve fixed being able to sprint toggle and roll. At least wallrunning has become slightly less impossible now they added an option that you dont have to hold down sprint to start it.

Also i'd like to know if the PS4 has the same mastery tests, because a couple of them were pretty much impossible using the controller. The shooting range one I had to use a mouse because you just couldnt aim fast enough with the controller. I managed to fluke the wallrunning test by somehow landing ontop of the walls, but I still think its near impossible to aim and wallrun with a controller unless theyve seriously reworked the ps4 controls.

In all the hours of playing this game i've never seen anyone actualy shoot stuff whilst wallrunning anyway.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

bald and fail II posted:

In all the hours of playing this game i've never seen anyone actualy shoot stuff whilst wallrunning anyway.

I think the wonky trajectory you come off wall runs at ruins that possibility. Also, I can't think of a single instance where I was both wallrunning and surrounded by enemies I needed to shoot. Wallrunning has been limited to a method of gap traversal and occasional shortcutting - it's still cool, but it doesn't really fit into any gunplay that isn't shooting Ogris/Penta and moving away so you don't die (in which case why aren't you using a frame with movement abilities?).

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
If you aren't intentionally running up walls just to do cool shoot moves on enemies, jumping unnecessarily to do matrix styled bullet attacks, etc, you aren't playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

zgrowler2 posted:

I think the wonky trajectory you come off wall runs at ruins that possibility. Also, I can't think of a single instance where I was both wallrunning and surrounded by enemies I needed to shoot. Wallrunning has been limited to a method of gap traversal and occasional shortcutting - it's still cool, but it doesn't really fit into any gunplay that isn't shooting Ogris/Penta and moving away so you don't die (in which case why aren't you using a frame with movement abilities?).
You can absolutely do it, you just won't be precise and super accurate, which is the point of it. You can just rapid tap the trigger and kill dudes, they'll still die, no issues. It's pretty sweet with pistols.

Rakthar posted:

This was my experience to a T when I tried the game, except for the part with your last sentence.

What stuff did you explain to your friend that could help me enjoy the game?
Which part? the shittest best part?

E: I've kind of rambled a bit here getting my thoughts on the issues with the game, so I hope it explains it.

Basically the biggest issue with Warframe is that it's a Beta and apart from the little word at the top right of the log in screen, it doesn't really show it because the mechanics are for the most part, fairly smooth.

The game content itself is quite nice, the combats fun and it really appeals to the inner 12 year old in most, you get to be a bad rear end space ninja with cool swords, high tech guns and wrecking hundreds of dudes and look cool while doing it. The problem is is that none of that is visible for new players, DE have kind of gone a bit backwards and all the cool toys are to the people who have been playing early on and have most of the stuff in an attempt to keep them interested but it's sort of turned in on itself and made the start look even shitter by comparison.

The starter areas in Warframe are fairly lovely, Mercury is boring, the Braton/Lato/Skana are all boring and it takes a bit of time to get anything new. The game doesn't really explain anything to new players either which is the worst offender. You're dumped into a Warframe trial area with no explanation of why you're there, what you're doing, what the map/missions are for and what any of it means and are left to figure it out.

That last one is the biggest offender. It takes a while for the cool content, but it's the later content that makes the game fun and interesting. The game opens up at Venus but for new players it can be a confusing and miserable slog to even get passed it. The environment overhaul is a BIG help though I think.

The game sort of has the Monster Hunter thing going on where a lot of the fun comes from having new weapons and warframes/armour and using them to get more things, but it lacks the fun of actually fighting the monsters in Monster Hunter, it's killing waves of Grineer/Corpus/Infested instead, but DE are working on that steadily with the new Boss reworks but there is still a long way to go. It takes a while to get to the cool in game content, add in watching other players in your levels zip around with Lv30 Frames with racked up Pentas/Orthos and wasting dudes like its going out of style whilst wall running before jumping off and slicing five dudes in half makes it really hammer home how the start in Warframe is absolutely poo poo. I think a big part of is the modding system, I think they need to cut the effectiveness of some of the mods and actually have stat increases in the weapons as they rank up, or give players a few of the core mods. The game is frankly unplayable after Venus/Earth without some of the damage mods for weapons, it's ridiculous.

My buddies just gotten his first frame (he wanted Ember, so we got Ember) and we're cruising around Jupiter now and I've been basically helping boost him along to get to the cool stuff and open the game up. From the new shiny weapons, the Orokin/Void stuff, the invasion missions (he thought the boarding scene from the Grineer ship to the Corpus one loving owned because it's drat awesome to burst onto a Corpus ship and start tearing the place apart) and new Warframes. The stuff is fun to play with earning new items and getting new toys, it's just locked away to new players and it isn't clear how you get it either. It's basically just a slog to get materials to get new toys, at least Monster Hunter has the whole learning the Monster to take them out to make it feel like an accomplishment.

I think part of it as well is that there doesn't seem to be an actual shape for this game to fit into, there's a fun combat system in here and some great ideas (space ninjas are cool, you can't deny it :colbert:) but there isn't a finished piece at the end, they may have a direction and an end result but it's unclear where the game is going to actually end up. They're probably also learning it as they go along, which is cool, but it can be a turn off and frustrating for anyone.

Basically in short what I'm saying is there's a fun game in here, but DE are still figuring out what it is and how to actually get it working, so the fun in Warframe is getting cool new weapons and new frames and just killing dudes, because that's all there really is to the game currently, it's still very much an early work in progress and I don't think enough people realize that the game is nowhere near finished and a bit more than a polished demo. I think DE really need to start hammering where the game itself is going, rather than the newer content.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Flipswitch posted:

Basically the biggest issue with Warframe is that it's a Beta and apart from the little word at the top right of the log in screen, it doesn't really show it because the mechanics are for the most part, fairly smooth.

That's exactly the writeup I was looking for, in terms of what the fun part is, and around where the game starts opening up. I'll probably finish Mercury and possibly Venus solo or in private games, then maybe start trying to team with people after that. Playing with pubbies that just run through the stage and kill everything felt totally pointless, I may as well turn on a cheat code or something.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Rakthar posted:

Playing with pubbies that just run through the stage and kill everything felt totally pointless, I may as well turn on a cheat code or something.
This is a common complaint from some friends of mine who have tried to get into it. It's tricky, because on one hand, you want to play with them early on; otoh, if you show up, you're going to one-shot everything.

Basically:
* If you're going to play with newbies, forma one of your frames so it's back at level one
* Intentionally use cripple weapons (mk1 braton if you still have it, and I use a dark dagger)
* Encourage some variety, i.e. don't have everyone in Excaliburs

Also, I totally do private games now and then. Part of the fun of the game is just playing what's cool and awesome, rather than chasing the current FOTM. If you want to play Warframe on hardmode by using bows and dual daggers, do it. If you want to go nuts and max out your scanner on everything, do it. You may want to do some of it on Private, but that rarely hurts you as long as the enemies are staying below lv20ish.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I always use a bunch of my low level stuff, for me it's been a good chance to use Tigris/Magnus/Galatine with my Oberon as a run, when he gets his next frame. I'm gonna roll with the new bow, crossbow pistol and the kestrel with Banshee. It'll look super sweet.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

bald and fail II posted:

Also i'd like to know if the PS4 has the same mastery tests, because a couple of them were pretty much impossible using the controller. The shooting range one I had to use a mouse because you just couldnt aim fast enough with the controller. I managed to fluke the wallrunning test by somehow landing ontop of the walls, but I still think its near impossible to aim and wallrun with a controller unless theyve seriously reworked the ps4 controls.

On PS4 Sprint is a toggle by clicking down on the left stick (L3) to turn sprinting on or off. Roll is done by tapping L1 and crouch is done by holding down L1. Crouch can be set to toggle where if you hold L1 for half a second you stay crouching until you do it again. Tapping L1 always makes you roll.

I also don't see how you are supposed to wallrun and aim at the same time.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Hopefully they will work on some kind of new player experience instead of giving you baby's first gun and melee weapon and expecting you to slog it out for six hours till you can craft something other than a Braton or expect you to drop $15 on a store weapon.

Also fixing melee weapons, half the frame powers being worthless and a pony.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 3, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Carecat posted:

Hopefully they will work on some kind of new player experience instead of giving you baby's first gun and melee weapon and expecting you to slog it out for six hours till you can craft something other than a Braton or expect you to drop $15 on a store weapon.
I still have no idea why the Braton Mk1 even exists, just give new players the regular drat Braton. E: Or hell, give them a whole equipment tutorial section to let them pick their Warframe, then between like the Burston or Braton and Sicarus or Lato and give them the Skana, that would be better. You can break down the game missions as they learn.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Carecat posted:

Yeah agreeing 100% that the worst part of this game is that it gives you gently caress all and doesn't even bother with information. This is quite a fun game, now, that I spent four hours reading the wiki and learning about blueprint drops and where to farm different items. I don't know if I've ever played a game that gives the player less information at the beginning, even after you go through that pointless tutorial about crouching and moving your camera.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Rakthar posted:

That's exactly the writeup I was looking for, in terms of what the fun part is, and around where the game starts opening up. I'll probably finish Mercury and possibly Venus solo or in private games, then maybe start trying to team with people after that. Playing with pubbies that just run through the stage and kill everything felt totally pointless, I may as well turn on a cheat code or something.

Get a goon to give you Serration, Hornet Strike, and Point Blank. If you are on PC, I might have an extra, I'll have to check. You can message me in game (AttackBacon) when I'm on. I do afk with the game open a lot, so I might not respond immediately. Those mods are the linchpin of the damage system and you really need them at around rank 5-6 ASAP.

I've returned to Warframe after a fairly long hiatus, and despite all the criticism of the game (which I find quite accurate), it has some really good points. The difference in the game as it was even just 3-4 months ago and now is amazing. The rate at which DE is implementing content and systems is bonkers fast. They are definitely improving in areas like weapon design (guns like the Ballistica, Soma, Penta, Stug) and map/tileset design. Damage 2.0, while it has some issues, is SO MUCH BETTER than the previous system it isn't even funny. The art design, which was frankly brilliant before, is even better. Content is becoming less of a slog, the new invasion system is a breath of fresh air for me. There are definitely hiccups, like the whole Harvester situation (We put some RNG in your RNG so you can curse the fates while you curse the fates!), but DE has *for the most part* been agile about rapidly implementing fixes and changes.

If they can drill down on the big issues (new player experience, warframe balance, core gameplay reliance on incredibly RNG gated mod drops) then this game will become a classic for the ages. It's super stylish, strait up fun to play, has incredible progression hooks, and DE clearly loves making it (which I think is a key factor). My glasses are definitely a bit rose-tinted coming back into the game with probably the perfect set up (good friend to duo with constantly, 95% of the mods that matter, enough frames and weapons to keep things varied, all the map unlocked), but I am having an incredible amount of fun right now.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 3, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hey, if anyone in the ps4 guild has a serration I am more than willing to throw a goon 20 plat for it. Think of it as a potato for serration exchange? I just haven't seen one drop yet and it's starting to hurt. Hell, depending on price I'll even consider buying a fully leveled one considering how long that takes. I'm only really considering that since apparently it takes a stupidly long time to level that specific card.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BitBasher posted:

Hey, if anyone in the ps4 guild has a serration I am more than willing to throw a goon 20 plat for it. Think of it as a potato for serration exchange? I just haven't seen one drop yet and it's starting to hurt. Hell, depending on price I'll even consider buying a fully leveled one considering how long that takes. I'm only really considering that since apparently it takes a stupidly long time to level that specific card.

I will give you one of my serrations for free. I'd only rip off pubbies for serration (I haven't yet since the market is flooded with them anyways), not goons. Make sure you craft a clan key if you haven't already.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How does trading with people outside of your clan work?

YouAreStoopud
Jul 14, 2002

Be Like Ike
Looking to group up with some goons - PSN: YouAreStoopud

Also, I threw my name in the clan thing and then saw it was for PC only. Sad face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

How does trading with people outside of your clan work?

Can't you just use your clan key to host the dojo, then invite someone to your squad and click play like using a regular key? or /invite from the dojo? I figured that was how all the pubbies were trading, anyway.