Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

my figure of the Biblical David by Michelangelo I bought at the Louvre in Paris

I was going to make some snarky comment about how tacky this is (possibly with a reference to Adorno). Then I realized that they probably really enjoy those memories from Paris, and they think it's nice to have some art around the house. Like, yeah, they're posting on freep, and they have that weird tagline, they're probably awful...but this awful person also wanted to go see Paris and brought back a giftshop piece of kitsch they display in their bedroom and they probably don't even know why it's kitsch. :unsmith:

Is there a German word for when you feel smugly superior to something that you find both sad and cute, and you feel bad for feeling smug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Wait, why the hell would you buy a figure of David at the *Louvre*?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We do tend to turn this thread into an Eco chamber at times, admittedly.
Eh, just wait a while; eventually the Pendulum will swing back the other way :haw:

I'm sorry

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

isildur posted:

Driving college friends from out of town to a nightclub in LA, watching them freak out right around the intersection of Fairfax and Santa Monica. Good times. (And the time we went somewhere near MacArthur Park. White knuckles the whole way. 'Are the doors locked? Roll up the windows!')

If they can't handle MacArthur Park, then wouldn't be able to enjoy the transcendent experience that is the Number 19 at Langer's Deli, which is basically the worst karmic retribution I can think of.

Though I too have run into people who think the moment they set foot in any part of a big city they risk getting killed in rampant gang violence. Seeing people freaked out to be in West LA is really disconcerting. I actually end up feeling bad because I can fall back on the racial and economic segregation that consumes the whole are and assure them they probably aren't going to run into more than a handful of minorities in their time in Santa Monica and Brentwood.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

cafel posted:

If they can't handle MacArthur Park, then wouldn't be able to enjoy the transcendent experience that is the Number 19 at Langer's Deli, which is basically the worst karmic retribution I can think of.

Though I too have run into people who think the moment they set foot in any part of a big city they risk getting killed in rampant gang violence. Seeing people freaked out to be in West LA is really disconcerting. I actually end up feeling bad because I can fall back on the racial and economic segregation that consumes the whole are and assure them they probably aren't going to run into more than a handful of minorities in their time in Santa Monica and Brentwood.

I lived about a mile from Echo Park, going to West LA was like travelling to a different country.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
America Needs a King

quote:

To: Squawk 8888
I’m getting so fed up watching all this stuff happen to the U.S. that I’m ready to come do it myself. First order of business would be imposing a 5% flat sales tax, nothing else. Second would be deporting all illegals and muslims. Not very politically correct, but cultural suicide is cultural suicide. The third thing to be done would be restore the original constitution.

2 posted on 1/3/2014 11:05:23 AM by Bulwyf
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

New world order “runs” the UK just like it does America. The UK has this ceremonial monarchy, it does nothing to slow down new world order.

The Royal family and the peerage is completely intertwined with new world order.

Some honest research into the British East India Company will reveal just how much intertwined they were, even by the 18th and 19th centuries.

7 posted on 1/3/2014 11:08:53 AM by PieterCasparzen (We have to fix things ourselves)

quote:

Wow, Hitler's brownshirts are really starting to crawl out of the woodwork. There have been a lot of apologists for tyrants, not just the typical dem columnist, but also some on the right, pushing for a more absolute executive and mealy mouthing the Constitution.
Keep your powder dry because the hammer is coming down.

8 posted on 1/3/2014 11:09:22 AM by Sirius Lee (All that is required for evil to advance is for government to do "something")
--------------------------
Wall Street Analysts: Bitcoin Could Revolutionise the Non-Financial World Too

quote:

To: Errant
A currency that cannot be manipulated by the banksters and the big-government/big-corporate criminal complex would be their worst nightmare.

4 posted on 1/3/2014 10:25:27 AM by E. Pluribus Unum (Who knew that one day professional wrestling would be less fake than professional journalism?)

quote:

To: E. Pluribus Unum
Indeed! It would almost make the need for their services unnecessary.

8 posted on 1/3/2014 10:36:14 AM by Errant (Surround yourself with intelligent and industrious people who help and support each other.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Errant
The government is trying desperately to figure out if this is a currency, an investment, a means of sending money, or a ponzi scheme. Either way, owning them is going to be a problem.

10 posted on 1/3/2014 10:40:27 AM by I want the USA back (Media: completely irresponsible traitors. Complicit in the destruction of our country.)

quote:

To: I want the USA back
The governments and central banks not only can’t figure it out, they don’t know what to do about it or if they even can. Meanwhile, it’s gaining more and more ground on the old way of doing things daily.

11 posted on 1/3/2014 10:46:00 AM by Errant (Surround yourself with intelligent and industrious people who help and support each other.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]
--------------------------
Serial Knockout Attacker Arrested in Brooklyn

quote:

To: Responsibility2nd
We know all there is to know from the description. It didn’t say the agressor was White, and it didn’t mention ‘hate crime’, so we can be sure of the shade of the agressor.

20 posted on 1/3/2014 10:45:35 AM by I want the USA back (Media: completely irresponsible traitors. Complicit in the destruction of our country.)

quote:

Obviously Amish because of the lack of any description.

2 posted on 1/3/2014 10:18:56 AM by knarf (I say things that are true .. I have no proof .. but they're true.)

quote:

“A male was taken into custody and identified by three separate women who said he had attacked them”.

A male Amish?

3 posted on 1/3/2014 10:19:10 AM by cll (Serviam!)

quote:

Yeah, but I bet this perp had to eat his serial with water instead of milk (the latest crap from the left). Poor perp.

Wouldn’t you like to have this pig strapped to the wall and have all his victims line up and have at him for a half hour or so?

6 posted on 1/3/2014 10:21:26 AM by laweeks

quote:

To: laweeks
Naw, a quick bullet to the braincase then turn him into dawg food ... waste not want not.

10 posted on 1/3/2014 10:24:35 AM by MHGinTN (Being deceived can be cured.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

Feed him to 120 starving dogs surrounded by 300 Nork cheerleaders.

17 posted on 1/3/2014 10:37:51 AM by DCBryan1 (No realli, moose bytes can be quite nasti!!)

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

As someone who actually worked as a crime reporter, I have to say I never felt it was necessary to mention the race of a criminal suspect. It's not some sort of vast media conspiracy in my experience.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nothing in FReep is as infuriating as that dunderheaded article from Politico.

"Does America need a monarch?"

No. gently caress you!

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Georgia Peach posted:

Fairfax and Santa Monica? That's like one of the least fearful areas.

Noooo there are scary people walking around! It's scary!

(granted it was like 1 AM but even so)

I tried to see it from their point of view, and really it's that if you've lived your whole life in a mostly rural state, any city landscape is going to be disorienting and threatening. Even tourist-trap Hollywood is terrifying if your experience is limited to, at most, suburban sprawl. That the city is also populated with the Other just increases the sense of alienation.

Which isn't an excuse, but it's at least an explanation. Freepers are almost certainly more concerned with the Other than the cityscape itself, but I think there's a good reason they're always careful to say 'urban' before 'black'. In settings in which they're comfortable, Freepers are able to submerge their racism in familiarity: 'just folks', 'one of the good ones', 'a good Christian', and so forth.

(I'd love to see a gaggle of freepers loose in, say, Shinjuku. See how long it takes for them to find a McDonalds and stay there for the rest of the day.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

isildur posted:

In settings in which they're comfortable, Freepers are able to submerge their racism in familiarity: 'just folks', 'one of the good ones', 'a good Christian', and so forth.

Or, at least, "know their place."

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

isildur posted:

(I'd love to see a gaggle of freepers loose in, say, Shinjuku. See how long it takes for them to find a McDonalds and stay there for the rest of the day.)

They'd rage that they couldn't get a double Qrt. Pounder with Cheese and their sodas were half the size without free refills.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

kik2dagroin posted:

quote:

17 posted on 1/3/2014 10:37:51 AM by DCBryan1 (No realli, moose bytes can be quite nasti!!)

I'd ask what the hell a Nork is but I'm terrified I know the answer

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

gardenald posted:

I'd ask what the hell a Nork is but I'm terrified I know the answer

North Korean. Apparently this fine poster is intrigued by the possibility of starving to death in a frozen police state, as long as somebody in power is feeding his choice of "other" to packs of starving dogs.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
If you haven't heard, that is how Un very recently had his uncle and several aids executed.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Brings a neat perspective to those stupid memes about N. Korea having 'safer' borders than the US.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The thing I hate most is how good these people are at compartmentalizing big finance and bribed government vs glorious free market american capitalism.

Its like they are so close to getting it but never think it through quite far enough. Its probably subconscious to avoid shattering their world view.

I mean, "crony capitalism", cmon. There isn't a :ironicat: big enough for that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Vriess posted:

They'd rage that they couldn't get a double Qrt. Pounder with Cheese and their sodas were half the size without free refills.

Freepers would love the fact that some of them still have smoking sections but would probably get mad that those sections also have really effective ways of removing the smoke from the building and minimizing the amount of smoke that drifts to other sections of the restaurant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

isildur posted:

Noooo there are scary people walking around! It's scary!

(granted it was like 1 AM but even so)

I tried to see it from their point of view, and really it's that if you've lived your whole life in a mostly rural state, any city landscape is going to be disorienting and threatening. Even tourist-trap Hollywood is terrifying if your experience is limited to, at most, suburban sprawl. That the city is also populated with the Other just increases the sense of alienation.
I know some non-racist white kids who live out in the country who utterly loathe the city and are really uncomfortable in it too. Sometimes the race is only a small part of it (though with Freep, its definitely a huge component)

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

(Inter racial) local couple wants answers after racial slur found on key tag

quote:

To: armydawg505

I don’t know what’s worse, the fact somebody might do such a thing, or the fact that I have to question the incidents credibility these days.

4 posted on Friday, January 03, 2014 12:25:57 PM by Antihero101607

quote:

To: armydawg505

Husband White, wife Black. Story sounds really strange.

7 posted on Friday, January 03, 2014 12:26:51 PM by Cowboy Bob (They are called "Liberals" because the word "parasite" was already taken.)

quote:

To: BenLurkin

Ironically, all we have is interracial couples. Any black couples are assumed to be foreigners. When you only have a few black people, the chance of them being compatible is very slim.

11 posted on Friday, January 03, 2014 12:28:43 PM by AppyPappy (Obama: What did I not know and when did I not know it?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

To: BenLurkin
Hoax or not, there are a lot of ignorant people out there for whom “jungle fever” is the first thought upon seeing an interracial couple

Well the 1st thought I have is a disease caught in the jungle. I would NEVER equate those words with anything racial.

So I CALL BULLSHITE!!!
28 posted on Friday, January 03, 2014 12:40:36 PM by mabarker1 (Please, Somebody Impeach the kenyan!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wojtek posted:

If you haven't heard, that is how Un very recently had his uncle and several aids executed.

The only source for that is a Chinese newspaper, so it's pretty dubious.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
A&E Welcomes Phil Robertson Back to 'Duck Dynasty'
:smuggo: Suck it (though not in a gay way at all), Libs

quote:

To: ConservativeInPA
What incendiary comments?

6 posted on 12/27/2013 2:23:56 PM PST by sport
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: sport
Words from the Bible.

Satan and the Leftists at A&E can’t stand to hear Scripture.

94 posted on 12/27/2013 3:56:32 PM PST by PATRIOT1876
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: sport
I don’t know either. Been calling the faggots on FR threads rear end munchers, fudgepackers and degenerate pukes.

177 posted on 12/28/2013 1:23:16 AM PST by max americana (fired liberals in our company last election, and I laughed while they cried (true story))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: icwhatudo
Who wants acceptance of ALL people.

28 posted on 12/27/2013 4:30:00 PM by morphing libertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

Capitalism lives!!!

57 posted on 12/27/2013 4:53:53 PM by Gene Eric (Don't be a statist!)

quote:

Not good enough.

59 posted on 12/27/2013 4:55:07 PM by Berlin_Freeper (Mia San Mia)

quote:

Anyone care to see if the DU’s heads are exploding?

74 posted on 12/27/2013 3:15:13 PM PST by ColdOne (I miss my poochie... Tasha 2000~3/14/11) Hey, Harry Reid.. 1-800-318-2596!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: ColdOne
I checked. I don't think that they are into head exploding mode yet, but they are definitely not happy, happy, happy.
81 posted on 12/27/2013 3:25:56 PM PST by Engraved-on-His-hands (Conservative 2016!! The Dole, H.W. Bush, McCain, Romney experiment has failed.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 74 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: ConservativeMan55
People are giving A&E way too much credit for creating this ratings “ploy”. It was no such thing. Just like Cracker Barrel, the A&E Network executive team wrongly listened to their PR idiots who thought Phil’s UN-PC comments would send their progressive consumers scrambling for an alternative. Both companies were dead wrong, and the backlash threatened to kill their golden DUCK.

I suspect both company’s executives were subjected to a good old, “Come to Jesus” by their major stock holders, and were reminded that profits far out-weighed listening to a vocal, but miniscule part of the population......especially when the profits are insane. Recent history dictates that PC normally wins out in this twisted world, but the silent majority is finally starting to get over their laryngitis.

89 posted on 12/27/2013 5:47:36 PM by Benjamin Dover (This tagline space for rent)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

quote:

VICTORY!!!! WE WIN!

97 posted on 12/27/2013 6:00:15 PM by Viennacon

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sharkie posted:

I was going to make some snarky comment about how tacky this is (possibly with a reference to Adorno). Then I realized that they probably really enjoy those memories from Paris, and they think it's nice to have some art around the house. Like, yeah, they're posting on freep, and they have that weird tagline, they're probably awful...but this awful person also wanted to go see Paris and brought back a giftshop piece of kitsch they display in their bedroom and they probably don't even know why it's kitsch. :unsmith:

Is there a German word for when you feel smugly superior to something that you find both sad and cute, and you feel bad for feeling smug?

Congrats on being the lovely liberal stereotype everyone hates!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

kik2dagroin posted:

quote:

To: laweeks
Naw, a quick bullet to the braincase then turn him into dawg food ... waste not want not.

10 posted on 1/3/2014 10:24:35 AM by MHGinTN (Being deceived can be cured.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

What the actual gently caress? It's like these guys consider the slaveowners in Djano Unchained role models.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Ex-Vikings punter: Coach made anti-gay remarks

quote:

To: Olog-hai
So what if he did...He's entitled to his opinion and his right to express it.
These fags act like it's the same thing as yelling fire in a theater. Go to heck. You are what you are.

25 posted on 1/2/2014 8:42:05 PM by Sacajaweau

I think this sums up Freep's incredibly-strange standards when it comes to vulgarity and "family-friendliness" pretty well. Go to heck, you faggots!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

e_angst posted:

What the actual gently caress? It's like these guys consider the slaveowners in Djano Unchained role models.

Why do you think they're so pissed about the movie?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

e_angst posted:

Hahahaha, "like." You slay me, e_angst.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e_angst posted:

I don't know, freep hated Django Unchained for the obvious reasons. Lots of posts about how it was a plot by evil lieberal Christian-hating Hollywood you-know-whats to stoke a race war, lots of posts smirking about how they would love one because they would get to slaughter the urban ferals. Lots of posts about how blacks are the "real racists", usually interleaved with posts about how the black subhumans must be exterminated.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Wojtek posted:

You know that uncle has been executed twice before, and sent for reeducation at least once. If we don't see it with our own spy satellites there is no way to confirm or deny any news from North Korea at all.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

threefive posted:

Congrats on being the lovely liberal stereotype everyone hates!

Not sure what stereotype I'm supposed to be but whatever.

34 Photoshops and memes to mock and burst the bubble of global warming alarmists

Every single one is either "Al Gore lol" or "If global warming how come snow," but I have to give this one credit for being...something.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah the more I poke around the more I see it as just a rumor by a single source. Point is that freepers are looking to to North loving Korea for inspiration. :shobon:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know talking about :goonrush: isn't kosher, but has there ever been a concerted effort to troll the site? I'd love to see examples of confusion turning to indignant rage. :allears:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Triskelli posted:

I know talking about :goonrush: isn't kosher, but has there ever been a concerted effort to troll the site? I'd love to see examples of confusion turning to indignant rage. :allears:

They've become vaguely aware of us from time to time as some posters (TapTheForwardAssist, I think?) used to have sleeper accounts on freep, but it hasn't exactly resulted in anything amazing. Plus, they hardly need an excuse to fly into indignant rage as it is, so it's not like there's any big gain.

Also, if I remember right they have a very long probationary period for new accounts expressly as an anti-troll device, and ban at the drop of a hat, so any effort would likely crater before generating anything good.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Triskelli posted:

Standard "don't touch the poop" disclaimer applies. Plus freep is heavily moderated, and new posters have their posts probated/screened. Just let them wallow in their own crapulence and content yourself on the succulent tear drippings.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Triskelli posted:

They're so goddamn paranoid that they will ban any referral IP from this place on sight, plus if you don't walk the finest of lines as a new poster you will immediately get the zot.

Trust me, I've tried. Anyway, it's not worth it.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 4, 2014

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Triskelli posted:

I'd love to see examples of confusion turning to indignant rage. :allears:

I don't think that would happen. If there's one thing freep threads have demonstrated it's their ability to mentally turn on a dime to stay with whatever their worldview holds as true at that moment.

In the old thread you could see it happen in real time after the massacre in Norway. From "Oh the savagery" to "Commie hitler faggots had it coming" just like that. It was pretty eye opening.

They'll save their indignant rage for things like men holding hands, women who have sex, and (R)s who aren't conservative enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Triskelli posted:

Nothing you can come up with is as funny as what they produce themselves.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Eh, worth asking. :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Erghh posted:

I don't think that would happen. If there's one thing freep threads have demonstrated it's their ability to mentally turn on a dime to stay with whatever their worldview holds as true at that moment.

In the old thread you could see it happen in real time after the massacre in Norway. From "Oh the savagery" to "Commie hitler faggots had it coming" just like that. It was pretty eye opening.

They'll save their indignant rage for things like men holding hands, women who have sex, and (R)s who aren't conservative enough.

They're right about things being like 1984, except they misunderstand it's them doing doublethink.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Achmed: Hey Mustafa, you got the spray paint.
Mustafa: Yeah, lets spray swastikas on the mosque. We'll blame it on the Joooooos...
And the stupid liberals will believe it.

9 posted on Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:42:07 AM by mountn man (The Pleasure You Get From Life Is Equal To The Attitude You Put Into It)

I know the first person I blame when I see a swastika is a Jew!

In Freepland the Jews are good ONLY because Hitler killed them. They CAN'T be racist because they LIKE Jews! Just like how they CAN'T be racist because they don't say the n-word!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I know the first person I blame when I see a swastika is a Jew!

In Freepland the Jews are good ONLY because Hitler killed them. They CAN'T be racist because they LIKE Jews! Just like how they CAN'T be racist because they don't say the n-word!

No, they're good because they're the bait for the Jesustrap--they have to build a temple or some such and then get horribly attacked to open the blood gates summon Jesus back from heaven to start the Rapture. Just read the future historical account Left Behind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Duke Igthorn posted:

In Freepland the Jews are good ONLY because Hitler killed them.

That, and a significant proportion of freepers ascribe to nutty dispensationalist beliefs about the biblical end times and the precursor events that Revelation claims need to take place in restored Israel. This is the "bait for the Jesus trap" thing I and others have referenced, which comes from the belief that most/all Jews need to be back in the holy lands to trigger the rapture and end times eventsduring which almost all the Jews actually die and are damned for their refusal to accept Christ but who's keeping count?

EDIT: Beaten like a non-believer during the millennial reign of Christ.

• Locked thread