Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

In other GOG related news, I guess now GOG has partnered up with Curse, hope to god they don't start offering some Steam like Curse client that will no doubt be poo poo. http://www.gog.com/news/announcement_partnership_with_cursecom

Curse are complete scumbags of a company. This news might affect any future dealings I have with gog.com

EDIT: One of the Gog.com team posted on the forums

quote:

Let's just put this thing straight, here. GOG.com is not for sale. Nor will it be in foreseeable future. There's nothing more to this cross-promotion than it is stated in the news article opening this thread. We're giving away games to Curse.com premium members with the obvious goal of acquiring new users at our part, and sweetening the deal for their paying customers on Curse's. Plain and simple.

It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)

This is sounding suspiciously like when CNET bought GameFAQs to me, but we'll see what the future holds.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Curse are complete scumbags of a company.

The only thing I know about them is they host WoW addons. What makes them scumbags?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

The only thing I know about them is they host WoW addons. What makes them scumbags?

Their entire business model is trying to strongarm the developers of upcoming games to allow them to host "official" sites which they then stop maintaining after 3-6 months. Basically they offer a small pittance to the hosts of wiki pages and mod sites compared to what Curse will make through advertising alone. They'll promote the site for a bit but then just decide to drop it out of the blue even if it's still relatively popular since all Curse cares about is the ad profits and they've already bought several other suckers out in the meantime.

Their sponsored MOBA teams were also completely banned by MLG for unsportsmanlike conduct (they were basically making cash deals with other teams and getting other teams to throw matches for a cut of the winnings.) Curse is a company that will do whatever they can get away with for a profit.

Also, half of the WoW addons they host are now infused with spyware (and these are not Curse developed tools, these are user submitted) to deliver even more Curse advertisements to users for even greater profit.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mokinokaro posted:

Their entire business model is trying to strongarm the developers of upcoming games to allow them to host "official" sites which they then stop maintaining after 3-6 months. Basically they offer a small pittance to the hosts of wiki pages and mod sites compared to what Curse will make through advertising alone. They'll promote the site for a bit but then just decide to drop it out of the blue even if it's still relatively popular since all Curse cares about is the ad profits and they've already bought several other suckers out in the meantime.

Their sponsored MOBA teams were also completely banned by MLG for unsportsmanlike conduct (they were basically making cash deals with other teams and getting other teams to throw matches for a cut of the winnings.) Curse is a company that will do whatever they can get away with for a profit.

Also, half of the WoW addons they host are now infused with spyware (and these are not Curse developed tools, these are user submitted) to deliver even more Curse advertisements to users for even greater profit.

:lol:, I'm sorry but all of this is either wrong or made up. Curse and Dignitas decided to ARAM the last match of a tournament because gently caress it and (correctly) MLG gets angry at them because the match wasn't fun to watch nor sportsmanlike. http://kotaku.com/5938303/league-of-legends-pro-gamers-stripped-of-winnings-for-scheming-on-the-side . I don't think Curse was going "hey guys, throw this match [which they won?] so we can secretly split this inconsequentially small $40k or whatever in winnings." Your first point is "Curse is a business that makes profit, therefore they are evil." And your last point you literally pulled out of your rear end. People that play wow get keyloggers out the rear end because they play wow. Get a authenticator, never care about it again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I didn't call them evil. Just extremely sleazy (which they are.) I would rather avoid giving any money to such people.

They tried to buy out a goon site at some point and he had some pretty ugly stories to tell about them and how they conduct business. I'll try and find the post but I have no idea what thread it even is in. Essentially, Curse is at their core an advertising agency and they ruin sites and gaming communities to squeeze every bit of profit they can from them.

And no, there are WoW plugins that are specifically adding Curse gaming advertising outside of their normal functionality. I didn't mention keyloggers once. Nice attempt at a dodge though.

EDIT: Also, you're misrepresenting what I said completely about the LoL thing. I said they made an agreement with their opponents that the match would be rigged. I'm beginning to think you're a plant.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 3, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Velius posted:

http://www.gog.com/news/removed_from_catalog_fallout_1_2_tactics

So gog gave away the three fallouts what, a week ago? That's a pretty hysterical move to gently caress over Bethesda right before they presumably had the end of their license. Supposedly they're off steam too. Guess they're going to announce fallout 4 soon and want to capitalize or something.

Yep, I knew it was more likely that they would be pulled from the catalog rather than Bethesda leave them up. That sucks for anybody that was hoping to buy those games DRM-free in the near future, though after five years, I assume everybody that wanted to buy it already has.

Meanwhile, the Steam versions already went ahead and changed the publisher over to Bethesda.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mokinokaro posted:

I didn't call them evil. Just extremely sleazy (which they are.) I would rather avoid giving any money to such people.

They tried to buy out a goon site at some point and he had some pretty ugly stories to tell about them and how they conduct business. I'll try and find the post but I have no idea what thread it even is in. Essentially, Curse is at their core an advertising agency and they ruin sites and gaming communities to squeeze every bit of profit they can from them.

And no, there are WoW plugins that are specifically adding Curse gaming advertising outside of their normal functionality. I didn't mention keyloggers once. Nice attempt at a dodge though.

EDIT: Also, you're misrepresenting what I said completely about the LoL thing. I said they made an agreement with their opponents that the match would be rigged. I'm beginning to think you're a plant.

So you're again not providing any proof for anything and calling me a dodge and a plant. Okay. And yes, that LoL thing was totally curse management calling the shots and not idiot gamers being idiot gamers

edit: and for why I'm taking this position. I was a modder way, way back in the day that contributed to WowAce that then merged with curse, you can read more about it here http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/10/14/wow-insider-speaks-with-curse-and-wowace/3

edit2: the only website I can find anything regarding Curse or Curse Client doing anything suspicious is from a blogspot that is literally selling WoW exploits and hacks http://mmo-worlds.blogspot.com/2009/05/curse-client-premium-version-spyware.html

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

edit: and for why I'm taking this position. I was a modder way, way back in the day that contributed to WowAce that then merged with curse

So you are a plant!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Their entire business model is trying to strongarm the developers of upcoming games to allow them to host "official" sites which they then stop maintaining after 3-6 months. Basically they offer a small pittance to the hosts of wiki pages and mod sites compared to what Curse will make through advertising alone. They'll promote the site for a bit but then just decide to drop it out of the blue even if it's still relatively popular since all Curse cares about is the ad profits and they've already bought several other suckers out in the meantime...

Yeah they made a wiki for my game and asked if I'd let them claim to be the official wiki or some poo poo and link to it from my site. I just ignored them, it was covered in ads.

http://blackannex.gamepedia.com/Black_Annex

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I never heard of Curse before following the Starbound thread

Enzer posted:

In other news Curse has apparently been harassing Chucklefish over not using their Gamepedia wiki as the official wiki and has been bullying the guy who started the wiki that Chucklefish has decided upon and links to in their launcher.

Tiyuri posted:

Interesting that these comments appear (from two new accounts, minutes apart) right after I declined curse's.. request (demands) to host our official wiki. After confronting someone at curse for allegedly telling the founder of Starbounder not to work with us because we are "money hungry publishers who don't care about the community".

I'll let the Starbounder founder tell you about his wonderful experience with Curse trying to buy his wiki from him.

The guy he was responding to has mysteriously deleted all of his comments in response. :allears:

Good on them, Curse is a loving horrid company and is one of the chief supporters of a lot of the bad behaviors surrounding other game communities like MC.

Forum search also turned up this post in the Kerbal Space Program thread

KakerMix posted:

I'd be willing to claim that anyone in Minecraft will have a poor opinion of Curse, to where in dealing with Curse you could say "They are terrible at everything besides WoW" which is where they got started in the first place.

I personally talked with them seriously back in August when they offered to acquire Technic and it's assets. The whole ordeal was insulting, maddening and hilarious (in that order). I didn't have a good opinion about Curse to begin with but after dealing with them in a serious capacity we don't have anything positive to say about them at all.
So they're probably not nice people?

In other news, GOG offers the good old Zombie shooter at a third of the price that Steam wants. I'm getting ever closer to owning all of the different Shooter titles :rms:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

edit: and for why I'm taking this position. I was a modder way, way back in the day that contributed to WowAce that then merged with curse, you can read more about it here http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/10/14/wow-insider-speaks-with-curse-and-wowace/3

The WoW sites are the only ones Curse really maintains. They're the exception to the rule. Look at how dead most of the gamepedia wikis are. Curse just stops maintaining them after a while (and that includes deleting offensive content for the most part.)

My point about the LoL thing is Curse didn't do a thing about it afterwards to the players (though one has left the team now.) You'd think they'd be angry that their sponsored team killed their exposure at tournaments.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breadallelogram posted:

So you are a plant!

plants don't have fingers to type with idiot

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Blast of Confetti posted:

plants don't have fingers to type with idiot

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 "the good one?" Or is the ideal way to play with an Amiga emulator or something?

I read a feature on it on RockPaperShotgun some time ago, and it sounds like one of those little gem games that hook you real good for a month, even if you're like me and don't really care about soccer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Curse's standard layout formatting is WAY cleaner, easier to read and plain better looking than wikia's and they have less obnoxious/obtrusive flash ads. Wikia wikis gently caress up the Steam overlay browser without fail because of their ads.

The one "high profile" wiki migration I'm aware of was The Vault moving from wikia to Curse.

Gamepedia is a stupid moniker, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rinkles posted:

Curse's standard layout formatting is WAY cleaner, easier to read and plain better looking than wikia's and they have less obnoxious/obtrusive flash ads. Wikia wikis gently caress up the Steam overlay browser without fail because of their ads.

The one "high profile" wiki migration I'm aware of was The Vault moving from wikia to Curse.

Gamepedia is a stupid moniker, though.

Wasn't there some kind of falling out with proprietor of The Vault and Wikia or Curse that prompted the migration?

Additionally, GOG's weekend sale is 60% off the Codemasters catalog. What's the general consensus on Overlord? I've heard mixed things about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's bad if you go in expecting Dungeon Keeper. It's good if you go in expecting Evil Pikmin.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Max Wilco posted:

Additionally, GOG's weekend sale is 60% off the Codemasters catalog. What's the general consensus on Overlord? I've heard mixed things about it.

The first? It's really fun to play, although controlling your minions is kinda difficult with a mouse. The story was written by Rhianna Pratchett, and it's a pretty humorous take on the standard fantasy evil overlord. The music is also pretty great, if it matters to you.

Overlord 2 forgets that it's supposed to be a parody and gets lame really fast.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If you're lame like me and aren't keen on playing an evil character there is always a chaotic good option to take. I had a lot of fun with Overlord and hope to finish 2 at some point.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Is Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 "the good one?" Or is the ideal way to play with an Amiga emulator or something?

I read a feature on it on RockPaperShotgun some time ago, and it sounds like one of those little gem games that hook you real good for a month, even if you're like me and don't really care about soccer.

Yup, that's a very solid title. There was at least one new version made in the Xbox 360 era and I never felt it controller like the older games. Anyhow, you can play this game as simply as 'See ball, chase ball, lose game' and still have fun, or dig deep into the nuanced controls.

I fall more into the former camp, by the way, which makes pulling off something cool all the more impressive.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm really considering buying Sensi at some point because it seems really fun even for someone like me who doesn't really care for sports games most of the time and there's some sort of source port that has online play and I think it supports the DOS version in addition to the Amiga ROM.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If you're lame like me and aren't keen on playing an evil character there is always a chaotic good option to take. I had a lot of fun with Overlord and hope to finish 2 at some point.

Was there? I'm pretty sure the best you get is jovial evil, your little dudes still slash and burn peasant villages and poo poo for basically no reason.

Edit: which ruled, i enjoyed the evilness of overlord. It was fun as hell.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I never played Overlord on PC, but if you liked Pikmin or the idea of Pikmin, you will love Overlord because Overlord is much, much, MUCH better than Pikmin. It is a really awesome and fun game with a lot of charm.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

andrew smash posted:

Was there? I'm pretty sure the best you get is jovial evil, your little dudes still slash and burn peasant villages and poo poo for basically no reason.

Edit: which ruled, i enjoyed the evilness of overlord. It was fun as hell.

You can defeat the evil enemies and leave the villagers better off than they were before. You get options like keep the boss's gold for yourself or return it and if you return it you'll get something of equal value from the village. I mean sure your minions smash crates and stuff but that's par for the course for plenty of heroes in games.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You can defeat the evil enemies and leave the villagers better off than they were before. You get options like keep the boss's gold for yourself or return it and if you return it you'll get something of equal value from the village. I mean sure your minions smash crates and stuff but that's par for the course for plenty of heroes in games.

Ah I must have forgotten that stuff. I played it on xbox like 7 years ago.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've streamlined the OP a bit since I ran out of room. I'll try and keep up with promo updates.

I can't believe this thread is almost five years old. It's great to see how far this thread and GOG have come since then. If someone wants to make a new thread in the near future, you are more than happy to. :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A fairly light on details look back on GOG's beginnings and dumb mistakes, cause it's 5 years old now. They initially wanted to include Amiga games in their catalog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNORr7t5st4
They also mention some statistics. The number of copies of free games they claim to have given out (18 million total), I think indicates they're still pretty puny. 14 games average per account (no doubt counting free games). I hope they keep it up, because I've definitely been less interested in the site recently - mostly because there haven't been many new retro releases lately to get me excited, I think.

pl. zajebiscice - eng. awesome; funny choice of word Mr. Iwiński.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rinkles posted:

A fairly light on details look back on GOG's beginnings and dumb mistakes, cause it's 5 years old now. They initially wanted to include Amiga games in their catalog.

They also mention some statistics. The number of copies of free games they claim to have given out (18 million total), I think indicates they're still pretty puny. 14 games average per account (no doubt counting free games). I hope they keep it up, because I've definitely been less interested in the site recently - mostly because there haven't been many new retro releases lately to get me excited, I think.

Watching this right now and getting touched in the feels. Where the hell did five years go?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Rinkles posted:

mostly because there haven't been many new retro releases lately to get me excited, I think.

I agree - but then, I don't have much of a wishlist beyond Discworld Noir and X-Wing / Tie Fighter. I mean, what are some old retro PC games you wish you could get on GOG? Their catalogue is so extensive, and my backlog on there is so huge, that there is not a hell of a lot I feel I am missing...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Yeah, System Shock 2 and I Have No Mouth were possibly the biggest non-LucasArts or MS titles left, and they were pretty drat big. There are still a ton of games out there that they could release, great ones and fondly remembered ones, but the hugely anticipated ones outside of those are pretty much all there now.

I'd like to see Konami and more of Capcom's titles go up, even though many of Capcom's PC ports and games were really uneven. But still: Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 1-3, Super SFII Turbo, Puzzle Fighter... okay, maybe it's not that extensive.

If they could get the PC version of Dance Dance Revolution with all the extra free DLC it had that'd be amazing. Not that it's a particularly great port- it's fine, nothing special- but the game itself is rather rare, and there were a ton of downloadable characters that are now lost to the mists of time since I'm an idiot who never backed them up and the site is long defunct, and no one cares enough to upload them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, System Shock 2 and I Have No Mouth were possibly the biggest non-LucasArts or MS titles left, and they were pretty drat big. There are still a ton of games out there that they could release, great ones and fondly remembered ones, but the hugely anticipated ones outside of those are pretty much all there now.

I'd like to see Konami and more of Capcom's titles go up, even though many of Capcom's PC ports and games were really uneven. But still: Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 1-3, Super SFII Turbo, Puzzle Fighter... okay, maybe it's not that extensive.

If they could get the PC version of Dance Dance Revolution with all the extra free DLC it had that'd be amazing. Not that it's a particularly great port- it's fine, nothing special- but the game itself is rather rare, and there were a ton of downloadable characters that are now lost to the mists of time since I'm an idiot who never backed them up and the site is long defunct, and no one cares enough to upload them.

I think a lot of the big ones left are tied up in legal loopholes or the right-holders just aren't interested. Take Homeworld, which recently got bought by Gearbox. THQ had the full ability to release that on GoG, and probably Steam, with minimal hassle. They probably wouldn't even need to do the reworking of the engine that Gearbox is doing because all it takes for even the original to run fine is a registry tweak (for widescreen resolutions) and running the game in Software display mode. But they didn't do any of that because they decided to concentrate on "core" titles and a decade plus old RTS doesn't fit in with that.

SWAT 4 with intact multiplayer backend, even just direct IP connections, could be massive. Good luck convincing Activision or Vivendi or whoever owns the rights now of that.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Gog hinted on their twitter account that BloodNet will be released today (1/9/2014). It would be kind of cool if the game wasn't so horribly broken and not worth the time it takes to beat it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah; LucasArts, the remaining Apogee/3D Realms catalogue, and the classic Microsoft Games are the big ones I have yet to see. More EA games like the classic Need for Speed games would be nice too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at GOG's community wishlist, there are still some real gems that they could tap besides LucasArts, games from other studios still actively publishing, and games that could/will be re-released by their original owners:

MechWarrior
System Shock 1
Blade Runner
Freelancer
AD&D Gold Box games
The older Warhammer/40k games (Shadow of the Hornet Rat, Final Liberation, Rites of War
The original Dune
SimCity 3000
No One Lives Forever
Pretty much all of the Star Trek games, such as the older adventures, the Starfleet Command series, the Elite Force FPSes, and Armada
The rest of Microprose's back catalog such as the earlier Civs and their earlier sims (Gunship, F-15 Strike Eagle)
SSI's strategy and simulation games back catalog (50 Mission Crush, Clash of Steel, Pacific General, Dark Legions, Silent Hunter 1, War Wind, SU-27 Flanker, Wargame Construction Set)
Dynamix's back catalog (F-14 Fleet Defender, Aces of the Pacific/over Europe, A-10 Tank Killer, Alien Legacy)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Looking at GOG's community wishlist, there are still some real gems that they could tap besides LucasArts, games from other studios still actively publishing, and games that could/will be re-released by their original owners:

MechWarrior
System Shock 1
Blade Runner
Freelancer
AD&D Gold Box games
The older Warhammer/40k games (Shadow of the Hornet Rat, Final Liberation, Rites of War
The original Dune
SimCity 3000
No One Lives Forever
Pretty much all of the Star Trek games, such as the older adventures, the Starfleet Command series, the Elite Force FPSes, and Armada
The rest of Microprose's back catalog such as the earlier Civs and their earlier sims (Gunship, F-15 Strike Eagle)
SSI's strategy and simulation games back catalog (50 Mission Crush, Clash of Steel, Pacific General, Dark Legions, Silent Hunter 1, War Wind, SU-27 Flanker, Wargame Construction Set)
Dynamix's back catalog (F-14 Fleet Defender, Aces of the Pacific/over Europe, A-10 Tank Killer, Alien Legacy)

Sim Golf. :(

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Imperium Galactica II. I will never stop harping on about that game. I loved it so much, why oh why did I have to manhandle my CDs until they no longer worked :smithicide:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Rinkles posted:

I'm still wondering if any investors bailed as a result of the shutdown prank.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say the original Dune and Pizza Tycoon would be definite buys for me if GOG got them. Especially if it's the CD edition of Dune, since I never played it with the voice acting.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BadAstronaut posted:

I agree - but then, I don't have much of a wishlist beyond Discworld Noir and X-Wing / Tie Fighter. I mean, what are some old retro PC games you wish you could get on GOG?
Blade Runner and Homeworld have been mentioned; there's also Grim Fandango and Destruction Derby off the top of my head. I'd probably pick up 3D Lemmings if it was on there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Homeworld is currently being HD-ified by Gearbox, who now own the IP. It should be getting rereleased soon-ish (presumably late this year, since development started late last year) but there's no telling whether Gearbox will be releasing it on Steam only or if they'll do a DRM-free release on GOG as well. I'm not betting on the latter, since they're generally married to Steamworks and will probably use it for the multiplayer portion.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 9, 2014