Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Already did mang. Thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Dunno how anyone uses those dopey loving pads with the analogue sticks in the middle. Aren't you having to stretch your thumbs the whole time?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

chippy posted:

Dunno how anyone uses those dopey loving pads with the analogue sticks in the middle. Aren't you having to stretch your thumbs the whole time?

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I will be putting together a gaming pc next week and i would appreciate an around the neck mic recimmendation. I will be using beyerdynamic dt770 with an amp for listening to the cries of dead skulks in natural selection 2. I had planned to just plug the amp and mic into the onboard sound but maybe i should also pick up a usb soundcard. Let me know what is up!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

liquidfire posted:

I will be putting together a gaming pc next week and i would appreciate an around the neck mic recimmendation. I will be using beyerdynamic dt770 with an amp for listening to the cries of dead skulks in natural selection 2. I had planned to just plug the amp and mic into the onboard sound but maybe i should also pick up a usb soundcard. Let me know what is up!

I don't have a mic recommendation, but I just want to say that you might consider getting an internal sound card if you have a decent pair of headphones like that. I am by no means an audiophile, but I had a bit of a "wow"-experience and became a convert from onboard sound after getting an Asus sound card and a pair of Sennheiser ear cans a few years ago.

At work, I use an external Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card for listening to music from my laptop. At home, I use an internal Asus DSX sound card for my gaming/home theatre pc. The internal sound card sounds noticeably better, and it costs only a bit more than the USB card. So if you're already leaning towards a USB sound card like the U3, I'd say you might be happier with an internal card instead (unless you're thinking about getting some very high-end and horribly expensive USB sound card like the Xonar Essence One...)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Any sound engineer will tell you that the further from the board a sound card is, the better it sounds. There's a lot of electrical interference from fans, processors and the PSU that comes off as static. Get a USB sound card.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Thanks guys. I'm still not 100% on what I'm going to do get but this is going to be a pretty good time.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think my wireless headset is on the way out. Can anyone suggest a stand alone microphone to use for Skype, and online gaming?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dirty Job posted:

I think my wireless headset is on the way out. Can anyone suggest a stand alone microphone to use for Skype, and online gaming?

Clip-on or standing, and how much do you care about sound quality vs. price?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Male Man posted:

Clip-on or standing, and how much do you care about sound quality vs. price?

Standing, and I can spend a bit of money if it means it will last a long time. Maybe $100?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Dirty Job posted:

Standing, and I can spend a bit of money if it means it will last a long time. Maybe $100?

I have heard very good things about Blue Microphones. Very good reviews for both products.

~$50 Snowball -> http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E
~$100 Yeti -> http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

e. Lots of Podcasters use/love these things.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Are there any good demolition derby games out there these days? The only one I know of is a course for GRID, but I didn't know if there were any others out there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Edgy Bees posted:

I have heard very good things about Blue Microphones. Very good reviews for both products.

~$50 Snowball -> http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E
~$100 Yeti -> http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

e. Lots of Podcasters use/love these things.

You definitely want a condenser mic with a stand, but there are better mics for $50. Blue's products are relatively expensive for what you get. I have a Samson Q1U but there are probably better ones out there. If you have archives you can probably dig up the last headphone thread in SH/SC which had a bunch of discussion about it.

One thing you really need for PC use is vibrational isolation. If you have a remotely solid desk it will transfer all the minor vibrations from your PC to the mic very effectively. I just use a 1/2" foam pad under the mic stand, it makes a massive difference.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Are there any good demolition derby games out there these days? The only one I know of is a course for GRID, but I didn't know if there were any others out there.

Haven't played it, but the latest Dirt game has that.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/201700

Enhanced Steam pointed me to gamer's gate for $7.49, btw.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My desktop doesn't have bluetooth, so I was going to get an adapter so I can use Dolphin on it. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent one, or am I good buying any?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Mr E posted:

My desktop doesn't have bluetooth, so I was going to get an adapter so I can use Dolphin on it. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent one, or am I good buying any?

I'm not 100% sure which features you require but it never hurts to get the latest. A small Bluetooth 4.0 dongle will run you about $15 on Amazon.
Bluetooth is backward compatible :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-40...uetooth+adapter

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Edgy Bees posted:

I'm not 100% sure which features you require but it never hurts to get the latest. A small Bluetooth 4.0 dongle will run you about $15 on Amazon.
Bluetooth is backward compatible :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-40...uetooth+adapter

Looks like that's what I want, thanks for the recommendation, I just wasn't sure if the latest was backwards compatible or not.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Mr E posted:

Looks like that's what I want, thanks for the recommendation, I just wasn't sure if the latest was backwards compatible or not.

Also, if you think you'll ever have any issues with range you can pick up a short USB extension cord and run the dongle out toward the front of the PC or area of the room you'll be needing the signal in.

However, if you need massive range you'll probably want to look in the direction of a PCIe card with external antennas.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

It's still basically in pre-alpha/alpha but Next Car Game by Bugbear (Flatout series, the good ones) is something to keep an eye on. It doesn't have much except a really impressive damage model but it really is a seriously impressive damage model. You can back it on their website and get an alpha build on Steam (just as a download, its not actually on the Steam store, even as Early Access).

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

YourAverageJoe posted:

Any sound engineer will tell you that the further from the board a sound card is, the better it sounds. There's a lot of electrical interference from fans, processors and the PSU that comes off as static. Get a USB sound card.

Well, in theory, maybe. In practice, just from my personal experience with my hardware: Interference from other hardware is not something I've noticed to be any issue at all with my internal sound card. I can have my ear cans on, with the volume turned to 11 while no Hair Metal is playing - just silence turned to max volume - and the hard drive and the CPU are working on encoding some video file while the fans are spinning a bit harder to cool everything down, and there is absolutely no static interference I can notice.

Sebastian Flyte fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 3, 2014

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
So I'm all set to grab a pair of Sennheiser 360's for my PC. My question is if buying a 3.5mm male to female extension for the microphone 3.5mm would cause problems for the microphone input such as fuzziness or a decrease in quality.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

It's pretty old so you may have played it already, but Burnout Paradise has a mission type about wrecking everybody else.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Well, in theory, maybe. In practice, just from my personal experience with my hardware: Interference from other hardware is not something I've noticed to be any issue at all with my internal sound card. I can have my ear cans on, with the volume turned to 11 while no Hair Metal is playing - just silence turned to max volume - and the hard drive and the CPU are working on encoding some video file while the fans are spinning a bit harder to cool everything down, and there is absolutely no static interference I can notice.

Anything with audio is going to go into audiophile territory because it's all so subjective, but for ~me~ DACs are where it's at. I like to have a 'neutral' place to play music from that isn't colored by software or anything, maybe an EQ tweek if I'm feeling sassy. Otherwise onboard is totally fine, and sound cards are 100% useless marketed garbage.

Really though, onboard (from the back of the motherboard if possible, not front ports) sound, a pair of comfortable headphones and you'll be good.

Yar The Pirate posted:

So I'm all set to grab a pair of Sennheiser 360's for my PC. My question is if buying a 3.5mm male to female extension for the microphone 3.5mm would cause problems for the microphone input such as fuzziness or a decrease in quality.

As long as it's not full of steel wool and sand you should be golden. It also depends on where this extension is going to run but you won't know that till you get it up and running. If you don't notice a degrade then there isn't a degrade. :)

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

KakerMix posted:

As long as it's not full of steel wool and sand you should be golden. It also depends on where this extension is going to run but you won't know that till you get it up and running. If you don't notice a degrade then there isn't a degrade. :)

It's just going to be a short 4 ft extension. My microphone input on top of my case and my audio jack on the speakers are really close but most dual 3.5mm headsets I've seen don't have enough slack for both cables for my needs.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Isolating the audio hardware on motherboards is something they've improved quite a lot in the last few years. I bought a fairly cheap motherboard on my last upgrade (so not even one of those crazy $200+ Asus ones) and even its onboard audio was good enough I've never bothered to install my Xonar in it. Even with the volume cranked I've never gotten any interference. This is with $150 headphones so crazy high end may be different.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why doesn't Steam let you search for multiple genres of video games? I'd like to be able to search both Indie and RPG :(

Anyone have some recommendations on a deep, old-school RPG experience? My roommate is play FF9 again and it makes me want something like that, but with modern polish. I'm really not sure what I want, turn based or real time. Just something deep that I can pick up and play and have fun and put it down when ever I want.

Bored to death with Skyrim and Starbound. Couldn't get into The Witcher 2.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Why doesn't Steam let you search for multiple genres of video games? I'd like to be able to search both Indie and RPG :(

Anyone have some recommendations on a deep, old-school RPG experience? My roommate is play FF9 again and it makes me want something like that, but with modern polish. I'm really not sure what I want, turn based or real time. Just something deep that I can pick up and play and have fun and put it down when ever I want.

Bored to death with Skyrim and Starbound. Couldn't get into The Witcher 2.

:darksouls: - It's more action than RPG, but the RPG elements are strong and interesting (until you learn enough to break the game over your knees).

Mass Effect series? Maybe Dragon Age 1, but not 2. I'm a little out of touch with the genre on PC from not finding anything to scratch that old FF itch, I just love Dark Souls. Comedy option is FF7/FF8 are on Steam now. AA and high res! Actually, emulating FFX didn't feel all too old with the AA and res bump.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The whole space / sci-fi scene is a big turn off for me, so ME is probably a no-go, but maybe I'll revisit Dragon Age. I did enjoy them and haven't played in forever :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mass Effect's mechanics are absolute poo poo anyway, if that's what you're looking for. The reason to play the games is the characters and the universe.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Same; I tried to hype myself up for ME but didn't last more than an hour or so into the first one. I loved console style fantasy RPGs, but since switching to mainly PC gaming when the 360 came out I haven't found anything that really felt like that stuff with the visual modern treatment. I ended up just watching an LP of FF XIII (SAME EXPERIENCE AS PLAYING IT HEH) and kind of forgetting about the genre :smith:.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

:darksouls: - It's more action than RPG, but the RPG elements are strong and interesting (until you learn enough to break the game over your knees).

Mass Effect series? Maybe Dragon Age 1, but not 2. I'm a little out of touch with the genre on PC from not finding anything to scratch that old FF itch, I just love Dark Souls. Comedy option is FF7/FF8 are on Steam now. AA and high res! Actually, emulating FFX didn't feel all too old with the AA and res bump.

It's really important to mention that Dark Souls is an abysmal PC port and using a keyboard is an exercise in frustration.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 1's shooting is insane garbage, and the game is really more notable for being a remnant of a time where Bioware was in the same category as Bethesda, where they got praise despite how bad all their games were.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I remember Morrowind and Oblivion being good games. Mass Effect 1 was good too in my opinion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked Morrowind, but that was over a decade ago, which is making me feel old as poo poo.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Guillermus posted:

I remember Morrowind and Oblivion being good games. Mass Effect 1 was good too in my opinion.

The sequels certainly streamlined and improved the gameplay, but ME1 is still good fun and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, as long as you play on like normal difficulty.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Burning Mustache posted:

but ME1 is still good fun and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, as long as you play on like normal difficulty.
And as long as you don't veer away from the main storyline.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
ME 1 was fun for a play through, though everything was improved, mechanic wise, in the sequels. I will say I'll never replay the first one again, but it was worth experiencing once.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have some recommendations on a deep, old-school RPG experience?

Well, there's Legend of Grimrock, but that isn't anything like Final Fantasy.

You should check out Last Remnant, it's a Squeenix RPG with a good PC port. The idea is that you don't control party members, you issue orders to multiple parties. It has some good things going for it. Try the demo.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have some recommendations on a deep, old-school RPG experience?
When you say old-school, do you mean old-school mechanics wise or do you mean the whole "traditional turn based fantasy setting" type RPG?

Cthulu Saves the World might work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

It's really important to mention that Dark Souls is an abysmal PC port and using a keyboard is an exercise in frustration.

If it's important to mention it's a rough port, then it's also important that as of right after the game came out a mod was released to fix about everything, so it doesn't loving matter that the original unmodded version has problems. There's even a mod to improve the kb/m controls. An actual controller is really the way to go though. (If you're in this thread and don't have a controller by now, good lord go fix that right now.)

• Locked thread