Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of liquid metals is that they can spawn as lakes and such in mystcraft worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Any Galacticraft pros around here? I'm thinking of building a deathstar (100 block diameter sphere or so) in space and am wondering if it's possible to make the thing airtight, or if I'll have to settle for a non-airtight shell with airtight sub-compartments. Given the sheer amount of material necessary for the shell I'll probably have to use stone or some other relatively common resource.

Unless they drastically changed the algorithm for the sealers there is no hope of filling that entire sphere. I crashed a decent server with only around 7 sealers trying to fill less than 1% of that volume. There was a sphere-shaped oxygen bubble generator that I remember with around an 8 block radius, but I'm not sure if any configuration settings exist for the maximum radius of the bubble or if there is a way to hide the visible sphere of air it creates. The regular sealers are really hard on the server, and even using separate compartments in a building that size would probably be too much. Many bubble generators would probably be easier on the server, but they generate visible spheres of air that would look terrible unless you had walls hiding the edges or someone knows of a way to hide them.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I've only been running Tinker's for about a week or so, but I'm loving it so far. It's one of those tech mods that seems to lend itself well to just playing around with without making it feel like too much of a chore, and I'm a big fan of that, as opposed to the "must make every part of the crafting process as realistic (which is tedious, so that's what we really mean) as possible in this world built by virtual lego blocks"-style mods. :v:

Plus the multi-block smelteries are :radcat: as hell.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
I built a sick contraption attached to my smelter that lets me automate brownstone production.

Can you have multiple smeltery control blocks in the same smeltery? I haven't had any luck, so I wind up needing to pump a chest down to the first floor for input, which is less than ideal.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Do people have examples of Automated smelteries as I think some of my tedium comes from my poor manual use of it.

I will keep it in the pack (Waffle?) I am fiddling with as people do seem to like it :)

Ah more questions, Project RED, has anyone server flavoured used it much? I really like having some of the old redpower stuff back (in a non lovely way) and I was always a sucker for redpower lights. Just wondered on peoples thoughts.

Have also been playing with RotaryCraft (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1969694-16xforgesmp-reikas-mods-tech-worldgen-civilization-and-more/) but I am thinking this is more in the realm of some fun bits but a lot of tedium...

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
I'll post some pics of my smeltery rig this evening.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

GhostSeven posted:

Do people have examples of Automated smelteries as I think some of my tedium comes from my poor manual use of it.

You're in luck, the mod author made a video tutorial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUw15TLn_cY

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

GhostSeven posted:

It fairly simple however I have only every used TE and/or AE for the automation so if your using another mod you mileage may very.

Replace the spout with a liquid pipe.

Pipe lava into lava tank.

Pipe the mats you want smelted into the controller.

Pipe the product out of the table/basin.

Don't hook up the output pipe to an empty cast. As it may pipe the cast out. Once the output pipe has moved one of the objects to be cast, it pipes seem to stop trying to pull the cast, even if the cast becomes empty later.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding Tinkerer's Construct: It took me IMO too much work to figure out how to set up the drat smeltery in the first place. I just wasn't following it from the books that it drops in your inventory, and the YouTube videos that go "according to the book you blabla" were poo poo too. Beyond that you had to rely on YouTube videos to see how casting worked. One could probably explain all the mechanics of the mod in a nice, one-screen (hi-res) infographic. It came with Hexxit, and I have found in that pack I don't have much use for... "domestic duties" and my whole approach to the game--including setting that up--was probably flawed. You get enough materials just raiding the environment, food comes off shrubs and gets dropped in earlier parts of raids. About the only thing I use the smeltery for now is a hammer and a mattock. I have gotten more combat power out of enchanted regular items and my flaming shotgun legia bow. That thing took out the Ender Dragon without all the healing crystals knocked out.

I didn't know about the bucket thing, but it were true, I wouldn't recommend buckets either. Rather make some casts of ingots and nuggets by throwing them right on a casting table and pouring your cast metal of choice around them. Smelt large sums of ore right into basins to get blocks, then switch to the ingots, then switch to some nuggets. Then if you're paranoid maybe do the bucket thing.

I hate getting into wishlists but I'd probably use the mod more in Hexxit if it could break down some of the lesser loot I got, had some mechanisms for armor, and allowed magic enchanting on its items.

I've asked about excess item management in the thread before, and I was glad to hear about things like the unchanting table from the Twilight Forest in Hexxit, but I wondered if there were other general mods to handle this crap. I thought I read something earlier in the thread about reducing garbage items down to some kind of essence or whatever. I looked online and found Thaumcraft apparently has golems that you can assign to move stuff, but I don't know how well it can sort general categories of things into different containers.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hagop posted:

It fairly simple however I have only every used TE and/or AE for the automation so if your using another mod you mileage may very.

Replace the spout with a liquid pipe.

Pipe lava into lava tank.

Pipe the mats you want smelted into the controller.

Pipe the product out of the table/basin.

Don't hook up the output pipe to an empty cast. As it may pipe the cast out. Once the output pipe has moved one of the objects to be cast, it pipes seem to stop trying to pull the cast, even if the cast becomes empty later.

I'd have three outputs: One to basins, one to benches, and (if you're using thermal expansion) one to a portable tank so that if you need a specific amount of something unusual you can put it into the tank, grab the tank, and attach it to whatever separated benches/basins can take the materials.

quote:

I hate getting into wishlists but I'd probably use the mod more in Hexxit if it could break down some of the lesser loot I got, had some mechanisms for armor, and allowed magic enchanting on its items.

I've asked about excess item management in the thread before, and I was glad to hear about things like the unchanting table from the Twilight Forest in Hexxit, but I wondered if there were other general mods to handle this crap. I thought I read something earlier in the thread about reducing garbage items down to some kind of essence or whatever. I looked online and found Thaumcraft apparently has golems that you can assign to move stuff, but I don't know how well it can sort general categories of things into different containers.

For enchanting, look into adding the qualities to the items with other items (quartz for sharpness, redstone for speed, moss for autorepair, lapis for fortune, etc.) This basically duplicates the functionality of enchanting and has most of the enchantments you'd really care to put on an item.

For item/inventory management? Honestly, in Hexxit, golems are about as good as it gets, and they're fairly basic (mostly move-one-item-from-one-chest-to-another type stuff). I don't know of any other 'low-tech' mods that attempt to do any kind of inventory management at all.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 2, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

GhostSeven posted:

Ah more questions, Project RED, has anyone server flavoured used it much? I really like having some of the old redpower stuff back (in a non lovely way) and I was always a sucker for redpower lights. Just wondered on peoples thoughts.
We have it in NST 1.6, seems to be pretty good with regard to server performance, I haven't seen it come up in any opis scans and I use a lot of it in my machine room.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Here's a fun use for a TiC smeltery that I set up on Wylker's LP server - melting down endermen into liquid ender, then pumping it into a TE portable tank to turn it into resonant ender. (You need a bit of something in the smeltery for things that fall in to take damage, and I use an MFR autospawner + conveyors to produce them and funnel then into the smeltery.)

This is useful because in the new version of TE, tesseracts cost a total of two buckets of resonant ender to make each. (One to make the ingots used to build the frame, and another to fill the frame. Normally it takes 8 ender pearls to produce that much.) Resonant energy cells and tanks also use the same ingots in their construction.

Most other mobs (and players) in a hot smeltery will produce blood, and horses will produce glue. Both can be poured into an empty casting table to produce an item form, and both item forms can substitute for slimeballs in most vanilla recipes. Glue can also be poured into blocks that slow things walking on them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Here's a fun use for a TiC smeltery that I set up on Wylker's LP server - melting down endermen into liquid ender, then pumping it into a TE portable tank to turn it into resonant ender. (You need a bit of something in the smeltery for things that fall in to take damage, and I use an MFR autospawner + conveyors to produce them and funnel then into the smeltery.)

This is useful because in the new version of TE, tesseracts cost a total of two buckets of resonant ender to make each. (One to make the ingots used to build the frame, and another to fill the frame. Normally it takes 8 ender pearls to produce that much.) Resonant energy cells and tanks also use the same ingots in their construction.

Most other mobs (and players) in a hot smeltery will produce blood, and horses will produce glue. Both can be poured into an empty casting table to produce an item form, and both item forms can substitute for slimeballs in most vanilla recipes. Glue can also be poured into blocks that slow things walking on them.

Villagers in smelteries produce liquid emerald. :eng101:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The TiC smeltery is pretty awesome. It's definitely my preferred starting tech tree since you don't need anything but gravel, clay, and sand to get started with it.

Incidentally, you can throw many kinds of items into it, not just ore, to get their base metal components back, as long as they're fully repaired. It's a good idea to strip off any enchants and then just chuck them in there for the metal. The gold swords off of zombie pigmen are a good example of this. Iron doors, Iron Fences, and Minecarts can also be belted down for Iron.

As for automation, I went a little overboard on my latest build:

It's stored off in its own little alcove adjacent to my ThermEx magma dynamo stack. The gold rimmed block on the floor is a "secret lever". It behaves just like a normal lever, but it's the shape of a block and takes on whatever texture is adjacent. But you can remove the adjacent blocks, and it will keep the texture.

Drawbridge blocks are so awesome!

The Smeltery room itself. It's a simple 3 x 3 x 14 structure. There's ThermEx portable tanks for every kind of liquid that it can spit out. Fluiducts set to whitelist only a specific fluid are at the top, hidden with FMP multiblocks. Another set of Fluiducts (1 line for each type of liquid) runs from the bottom of the tanks back into individual drains for each liquid. This was the only way I could get it to work properly.

There's another secret lever (and redstone lamp) that drives the main pump to empty the smeltery. There's also 11 casting basins, and 1 casting table for processing materials. The portable tanks make it easy to blend alloys and cleanup the leftovers. I generally just leave whatever is left over in the tanks instead of exporting it to ingots.

The bowels of the beast, as it were. Very messy, but it works flawlessly. Eventually I'll get around to cleaning it up. I could just as easily rig it up to automatically process the liquid metal and dump it into my AE network, but I actually enjoy the casting process. It's very intuitive and visually pleasing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

President Ark posted:

Villagers in smelteries produce liquid emerald. :eng101:

Well, I know the next thing I'm getting in a safari net for autospawning then.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

quote:

Incidentally, you can throw many kinds of items into it, not just ore, to get their base metal components back, as long as they're fully repaired. It's a good idea to strip off any enchants and then just chuck them in there for the metal. The gold swords off of zombie pigmen are a good example of this. Iron doors, Iron Fences, and Minecarts can also be belted down for Iron.

In a modpack that has mods that add 500 different metals, of which you only use 6 regularly? Chests full of metals that just make some poo poo armor and weapons you don't need? cough cough metallurgy 3 cough

Check to see if you can turn that poo poo into buckets. Unless the bucket is specifically an alternate kind of bucket (e.g. Biomes o' plenty's amethyst bucket) then throwing it in the smeltery will produce iron. Any metal that can be crafted into a bucket can be turned into iron this way.

and one of the metals in Metallurgy 3 can also be used to turn things into gold

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

President Ark posted:

cough cough metallurgy 3 cough
With the Extra TiC mod, you can use all the Metallurgy metals with Tinker's Construct. Here's a table of what they all do, specifically.

Unfortunately none of them are world-placeable, but it would be nice to see.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

GhostSeven posted:

Have also been playing with RotaryCraft (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1969694-16xforgesmp-reikas-mods-tech-worldgen-civilization-and-more/) but I am thinking this is more in the realm of some fun bits but a lot of tedium...

Project red is redundant. Artifice adds better marble and basalt, MFR adds better Redstone controls, several mods add equivalent backpacks, and lots of mods add similar lights(though, in this case I will grant you that nothing else adds so many). At that point all it has left is annoying world Gen with the gems.

Rotarycraft is interesting, but it's really unfocused and adds a lot of noise. The main thing I don't like about it is that it is very poorly optimized and lags a lot.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks guy for the replies, I will try out opis and Thermal Expansion, I already have Mekanism installed. :)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

With the Extra TiC mod, you can use all the Metallurgy metals with Tinker's Construct. Here's a table of what they all do, specifically.

Unfortunately none of them are world-placeable, but it would be nice to see.

The issue there is that most of them are common enough that you'll have loads, but you probably won't need more than about 12 of any particular bar for armor or tools. Once you can mine Adamantite and Altarus (or Sanguinite) basically everything else becomes worthless. And you need even less if you're using them in TiC things because you can repair them instead of needing to craft new ones all the time.

I do like that Metallurgy lets you turn all of its metals into decorative bricks, though.

e: I'd like them a lot more if each metal had one or two placeable blocks that did something interesting, though. Like a quicksilver road that made you run faster over it or a Prometheum block that inhibited fires near it (because prometheus stole fire :haw:) or a Midasium chest that slowly converted any metal in it into gold or something.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2014

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Thank you everyone for the feedback on TiC and the wealth of information on automating it, it has been very useful.

Thanks for the info on Project red and rotarycraft! Good to have some better community info on mods if its out there as it helps plan and maintain a pack :)

Thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The best thing with tinker's construct is that its tools are relevant all game. Even before you have enough clay/gravel for a proper smelter, obsidian/cobble/etc can be made into parts with the tables alone, no smelter required. Once you have a smelter, Alumite's the top-tier no-nether-materials way to make tools, then with access to the nether steel opens up (assuming you have some mod with steel in it, I'm talking railcraft and needing magma cream for the blast furnace mostly) and then past steel the cobalt/ardite/manullyn materials open up. I also like that you can mix and match mats for composite tools and that there isn't a "best" material. For most tool heads cobalt comes out the best but for weapons manullyn's better (higher damage) and obsidian stays relevant for throwing Reinforced III onto any tool. Hell, even paper, thaumium and cactus are relevant materials you'll want around for various tconst bits.

EDIT: King Slime, however, is a giant rear end in a top hat.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wooo!

Since you aren't dead anymore, what are the chances of you working on connected textures with FMP?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While I agree that Project Red is largely redundant, I do not think it is entirely so. Mostly it's because MFR's Programmable Rednet Controller is sometimes just too complex and expensive for whatever it is you want to do. It's great if you want to set up some big complex thing, but if you just want a timer or AND gate or state cell or whatever, it's far easier and cheaper to make a PR one than cajole a PRC into doing it.

I'm not sure if PR's logic gates reload the entire chunk the way RP's did, though.

I also preferred the RP/PR lights to the lights of other mods because I could more easily tell when they were on when I was using them as status indicators, but that may just be me.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

Wooo!

Since you aren't dead anymore, what are the chances of you working on connected textures with FMP?

That's pretty easy, I just need to write a kind of annoying algorithm to determine 'flushness' which I haven't gotten around to yet.

Also use build 213 214 instead of that one I messed up an if statement.

Oh and there were config file changes so look those over.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 2, 2014

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

m2pt5 posted:

With the latter half of the BR 0.2 releases, you can also use resonant ender to capture absolutely all of the radiation coming out of a fuel rod and convert it to energy. Replace that outer ring of water with ender and watch your reactor's efficiency skyrocket. :ssh:

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Pack maintainers that run solder.

I have a solder setup from when I maintained Toast, now I used to manually zip each mod update upload it and add a new version of each mod, then update a new release version by selecting each updated mod etc etc.

Is there a way for me to essentially bulk upload mods / mod changes and keep versions in sync or is it still a horrible manual process.

Or more likely have I been doing it all wrong all this time like some slack-jawed idiot.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

Erogenous Beef posted:

With the latter half of the BR 0.2 releases, you can also use resonant ender to capture absolutely all of the radiation coming out of a fuel rod and convert it to energy. Replace that outer ring of water with ender and watch your reactor's efficiency skyrocket. :ssh:

Since what version? Do the other liquids do anything? What about hexaflouride thing from Atomic Science?

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Dunno-Lars posted:

Since what version? Do the other liquids do anything? What about hexaflouride thing from Atomic Science?

Since 0.2.7A. You can put iron, gold, and diamond blocks in, which generally perform better than water in high-heat reactors. You can also put in liquid redstone, pyrotheum (if you're silly), cryotheum (recommended), glowstone and ender. These all perform better than water, except pyrotheum. If you put superheated fluid into a reactor to try to cool it off, you are dumb.

Generally, the rarer/more-expensive/more-effort stuff performs better. Ender > Cryotheum > Redstone > Water > Air.

There's a bug in 0.2's heat calculations that makes resonant ender ridiculously good compared to all of the others, which I think is fine given that you need 4 ender pearls per bucket, and multiple buckets for even a modest reactor.

I'll fix the heat calculation bug in 0.3, as that's a major update which will upset the mod's balance anyway with the introduction of active cooling.

I haven't really touched Atomic Science's stuff, but uranium hexafluoride (in the mod, as well as in reality) is a fuel precursor, not a coolant. Putting that in a reactor as a coolant would be... interesting. The variety of "interesting" which encourages engineers to run away, very fast.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

GhostSeven posted:

Pack maintainers that run solder.

I have a solder setup from when I maintained Toast, now I used to manually zip each mod update upload it and add a new version of each mod, then update a new release version by selecting each updated mod etc etc.

Is there a way for me to essentially bulk upload mods / mod changes and keep versions in sync or is it still a horrible manual process.

Or more likely have I been doing it all wrong all this time like some slack-jawed idiot.

Nope, one at a time. I have an idea for some tools that would make it easier but I'm lazy and bad at scripting so those may never happen.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
What tech oriented pack is everyone using these days? Tekkit doesn't seem to have the newer versions of TE or MFR, and I'd like to try Big Reactors.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Grey Elephants posted:

What tech oriented pack is everyone using these days? Tekkit doesn't seem to have the newer versions of TE or MFR, and I'd like to try Big Reactors.

Never Stop Toasting should have all of those, and I haven't tried it myself but it's been recommended here before.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Grey Elephants posted:

We just updated Never Stop Toasting to the latest versions of MFR, TE, and Big Reactors this morning.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How about a pack thats like hexxit but for 1.6

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Jusupov posted:

How about a pack thats like hexxit but for 1.6

I haven't seen one, and searching for one on the Technic website doesn't yield anything beyond 1.5.2.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Halibut Barn posted:

Never Stop Toasting should have all of those, and I haven't tried it myself but it's been recommended here before.

The mod list doesn't seem to stop! Could any PC/Mac handle it?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Altran posted:

The mod list doesn't seem to stop! Could any PC/Mac handle it?

Nope. You'll need something with at least 2GB of RAM to allocate or you can expect very low framerates. If your computer is fairly new, you should be fine, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Time to download NST and see if I can finagle it into BigDig levels or ore generation :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013

mechaet posted:

We just updated Never Stop Toasting to the latest versions of MFR, TE, and Big Reactors this morning.

Edit: Beaten to it.

:stare: is there anything a bit less...overwhelming? I tried taking out some of the stuff I'm not a big fan of but that just makes minecraft crash to desktop on startup.

• Locked thread