Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I am in to urban exploration. My friend showed me this nice tunnel, that is hard to access, and has many ways out. just figure if any crazy poo poo happens, ill just hang out down there for a while with some not crazy people

In the city? Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I am in to urban exploration. My friend showed me this nice tunnel, that is hard to access, and has many ways out. just figure if any crazy poo poo happens, ill just hang out down there for a while with some not crazy people

i think i'd just hit up a national park tbh. At least i'd get to enjoy myself and hang out with some cool animals before i died/society collapsed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yeah but do you know the abandoned tunnel's wifi password

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wildlife Analysis posted:

i think i'd just hit up a national park tbh. At least i'd get to enjoy myself and hang out with some cool animals before i died/society collapsed.

Read the Zombie Survival Guide, you'll love it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I live really close to a zoo, might see if I can drive there fast enough with my toolbox to let some of the animals go

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

VendaGoat posted:

Read the Zombie Survival Guide, you'll love it.

Oddly enough, I liked the little "random stories of survivors that we based all of this data on" the most about that book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

yeah but do you know the abandoned tunnel's wifi password

Yeah for real we're a spoiled goddamn people when it comes to time-killing amenities like the internet. I mean sure we'd all adjust after the grid went down but it'd be a rough loving adjustment period.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Crow Jane posted:

In the city? Where?

goes under hampden about a half mile? and then empties into the jones falls.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah for real we're a spoiled goddamn people when it comes to time-killing amenities like the internet. I mean sure we'd all adjust after the grid went down but it'd be a rough loving adjustment period.

Sixteen Year Olds Would, "Like Literally Die"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pick posted:

I live really close to a zoo, might see if I can drive there fast enough with my toolbox to let some of the animals go

Oh god, never EVER read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's a good book (I hear the movie is absolute poo poo, though), but there's a zoo scene that has scarred me for life.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

mind the walrus posted:

You could always take your pistol, rifle, hunting knife and survival gear and go raid...

The library!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Backslap posted:

Only if people are nearby to have sex with. Don't you watch TV? It's only if two hot people are in a stressful moment that random makeout/sex happens.

Does the apocalypse give you that "Showtime TV sex insta-boner?" You know, no foreplay required just..there it is 24/7, shove it in!

Pick posted:

Keep some of the big cats. You can be a kickass wasteland queen surrounded by lions. :c00l:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Oh they would also kill each other in DROVES.

How many people do you think there are that want another person dead, for whatever reason, but the thought of life imprisonment keeps them in line?

*raises hand*

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

this is a really good idea too

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Better get there before the furries do...

If they have been trapped for days, there is the possibility of them being starved. The second you let some of the meaner creatures out, you better be climbing over a fence!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wicker Man posted:

Better get there before the furries do...

If they have been trapped for days, there is the possibility of them being starved. The second you let some of the meaner creatures out, you better be climbing over a fence!

eh, it's a suicide mission anyway

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

its a pretty ok way to die

i mean morally not umm... painfully

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
anyone wanna trade avs

pls

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Putty posted:

anyone wanna trade avs

pls

sure

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
hello all

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

u got 15 babe

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

are you a Juggalette?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Putty posted:

u got 15 babe

no sorry

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I really like zombie stories for the human characters and scenarios, rather than the zombies. It's a scary kind of situation that most people wouldn't know how to deal with.

The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is technically vampires instead of zombies, but they're close enough, and George Romero was influenced by those vampires when he made Night of the Living Dead and NotLD is what gave us the modern zombie. Previous zombie films had mostly been about people under voodoo spells.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

See, movies about people living under voodoo spells are more interesting to me.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I just started some YA fiction about angels levelling everything/END OF DAYS! :supaburn: Its like a 50/50 split between normal people living in little happy groups in the woods and other people possibly eating each other and running an angel bodypart black market which is probs fairly realistic.

The Road is a good book. It was creepy and sad and my imaginary boyfriend Viggo is in the movie which I might watch tonight actually.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Shannonmcn posted:

I just started some YA fiction about angels levelling everything/END OF DAYS! :supaburn: Its like a 50/50 split between normal people living in little happy groups in the woods and other people possibly eating each other and running an angel bodypart black market which is probs fairly realistic.

The Road is a good book. It was creepy and sad and my imaginary boyfriend Viggo is in the movie which I might watch tonight actually.

My imaginary boyfriend Nick Cave did the soundtrack.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Shannonmcn posted:

Movie was pretty good, if tragic and dreary. But good. Haven't read the book to compare tho

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

i hope you have gills cause you're getting dump in a river with cinderblocks on your legs

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
r.i.p. w.a.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Damiya posted:

Movie was pretty good, if tragic and dreary. But good. Haven't read the book to compare tho

Tragic and dreary kinda covers it. I don't usually read post-apocalyptic stuff (being more focussed on dragons and magic and wizards and poo poo generally) so I don't know how it fits into the genre.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the blood ritual will soon be complete

senator armstrong will rise again

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I would honestly like more recommendations on good post apocalypse reading because it is an interesting topic.

Anyone have suggestions?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Shannonmcn posted:

Tragic and dreary kinda covers it. I don't usually read post-apocalyptic stuff (being more focussed on dragons and magic and wizards and poo poo generally) so I don't know how it fits into the genre.

I don't really get the point of incredibly depressing post-apocalyptic stuff. Like The Road. Or even the Walking Dead. There's like no possibility of a happy ending so it's just watching people die slowly and painfully. (yeah, I get that it's supposed to be exploring the nature of man when faced with a hopeless situation or something but they're still dying) I'd rather watch something like the Mad Max movies where it's brutal but there's still the possibility the tribe of post punk teens will survive to form a new society.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NecroMonster posted:

grey aliens give me the creeps but only if they are lit realistically or moving realistically

dude, you need to download Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County.

They aired it on FOX when I was like, 9, hosed me up for months

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I actually really liked The World's End. And it had an incredible soundtrack.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Damiya posted:

I would honestly like more recommendations on good post apocalypse reading because it is an interesting topic.

Anyone have suggestions?

the wastelands is a great collection of short stories around post apolcalypse scenarios

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Women's Rights? posted:

i did sleep with the lights on after i saw [rec]

the sequels are just so bad but i keep watching them hoping they will at least be a little bit better. i am wrong every time :smith:

which is worse, quarantine 2 or REC 3?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Shannonmcn posted:

I thought it was better mostly because it didn't come off as some kind of weirdo survivalist power fantasy. Yeah the man and his son are surviving the apocalypse, but they're just barely making it, the tiniest things are the most valuable and it's made clear that the best strategy is to run/hide/avoid conflict rather than "Grab a shotgun and let's DO this. :clint: " And in the end one of them still dies from realistic stuff like illness and a fairly minor wound instead of going out in a blaze of glory.

I also liked that it didn't really bother explaining what actually happened to the world because in the end that wasn't the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

the wastelands is a great collection of short stories around post apolcalypse scenarios

Thanks, I'll check it out. I generally prefer longer stories with characters you can dig into, but post apocalypse seems like it'd be a setting well suited to bite size stories.

• Locked thread