Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

bartolimu posted:

Chicago is deep dish "pizza," a Chicago dog (extra celery salt please), or Eyetalian Beef. Those are the three things. It's like you went to Georgia and ordered blueberry pie. Of course it sucks.

Hey, we make drat good pies and cobblers of all varieties here in Georgia, thank you.

The best of which is obviously my stepmom's pecan pie followed closely by my mom's Platte County pie because seriously, that thing is basically a chocolate chip cookie dough pie and that is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It really does mean a lot to me. Right now I just hope I can find a new job before I burn through my savings. The new year being right in the middle of the week kinda screws with my job hunting for a couple days (a lot of places are closing early/entirely for NYE/NYD) but oh well. I feel like I could use a hundred beers right now anyways.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm gonna eat this tonight:

Is going to be good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It looks good, though it's always interesting to see how many variations on "beets with goat cheese" people can come up with.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I got

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Yawgmoth posted:

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It really does mean a lot to me. Right now I just hope I can find a new job before I burn through my savings. The new year being right in the middle of the week kinda screws with my job hunting for a couple days (a lot of places are closing early/entirely for NYE/NYD) but oh well. I feel like I could use a hundred beers right now anyways.

Hey, take the rest of the week off to chill out. Maybe tweak your resume a little bit, but don't worry about really looking for jobs until Monday. Most places are going to be closed tomorrow and I know some places aren't going to be open until Monday anyway. It sucks poo poo losing your job, especially when you have no idea why it happened, so let yourself breathe a little bit before you jump back into it.

Good luck with the job hunt!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Since we're all showing and telling. This is my menu for NYE

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I made a steak and drank gin on my couch because I didn't want to get a DUI.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Happy new year, food nerds.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I had reservations for a vegetarian tasting menu at one of the few decent joints we have here in Boston, but when the GF found out that it was $140 a head, she flipped out and made me cancel. You all suck. :argh:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Happy New Year GWS!

I much prefer just staying at home for NYE so we had a couple people over and I made fried chicken, creamed collard greens, semi-daalish black-eyed peas, biscuits, and pineapple upside down cake topped with boozy cherries. Had a sazerac, corpse reviver #2, Prince of Wales cocktail, and Frank Forester's Punch. Happy with these decisions.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It was only after I put the cakes in the oven that I realised I had not used SR flour. :doh: They actually have a bit of rise so maybe not a complete disaster but I am very annoyed with myself.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I did the same with rock cakes yesterday. Derp

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Since we're all showing and telling. This is my menu for NYE

I drank a Melange 1 last night and I'm having trouble imagining a lime anything capable of standing up to it. How was that pairing?

I made aguachile with shrimp, mahi mahi and scallops for New Years and it was pretty good. I'm starting to need more heat than serranos give me, though. Next time I'll add a couple of habaneros.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I had my brother and family over. We drank ourselves stupid, let the kids completely run amok until midnight, and ate shrimp cocktail and frozen potstickers and cheese and chips and meatballs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

therattle posted:

It was only after I put the cakes in the oven that I realised I had not used SR flour. :doh: They actually have a bit of rise so maybe not a complete disaster but I am very annoyed with myself.

This is why the rest of us add baking powder separately so there won't be any confusion about flours. :smugdog:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mich posted:

Happy New Year GWS!

I much prefer just staying at home for NYE so we had a couple people over and I made fried chicken, creamed collard greens, semi-daalish black-eyed peas, biscuits, and pineapple upside down cake topped with boozy cherries. Had a sazerac, corpse reviver #2, Prince of Wales cocktail, and Frank Forester's Punch. Happy with these decisions.

Yay Frank Forester's! That's a perfect New Year's Eve punch.

I worked until 1 am and then came home and drank a bottle of Domaine Carneros rosé de la Pompadour. It's an amazing wine. Heady aroma.

Then I passed the gently caress out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bartolimu posted:

I drank a Melange 1 last night and I'm having trouble imagining a lime anything capable of standing up to it. How was that pairing?

It was pretty good, I think. Although, personally idg the fight sour with sour aspect of that pairing.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

It was pretty good, I think. Although, personally idg the fight sour with sour aspect of that pairing.
Yeah, if I'm pairing a sour it's with a funky cheese (Saint-Marcellin or Epoisse typically) or something rich and chocolatey. I usually just drink sours on their own, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mich posted:

Happy New Year GWS!

A good menu!

We stayed in and had Korean food and drank vodka all night. Too many amateurs out on New year's.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

This is why the rest of us add baking powder separately so there won't be any confusion about flours. :smugdog:

I normally do! There is a long and dull story which makes the cock-up more understandable. They turned out ok actually, although obviously pretty dense.

PJ Harvey is editing BBC Radio 4 (like NPR) this morning. Very good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I am sick with an upper respiratory thing so I was in bed at 9pm passed out in a NyQuil-induced haze on New Year's Eve :(

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, it's now 2014, the future, and it's time we abandon our outdated ideas of food. One brave (stupid) goon is showing us the way. Cooking is so 2013.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 3, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oops wrong thread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Landed in Florida in one piece. Nothing's changed. Ever.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

DekeThornton posted:

Well, it's now 2014, the future, and it's time we abandon our otdated ideas of food. One brave (stupid) goon is showing us the way. Cooking is so 2013.

I thought I'd see Soylent posted one day to GWS as a troll attempt, but it seems right at home in YLLS.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

YELS

dino. posted:

Landed in Florida in one piece. Nothing's changed. Ever.

just puttin this out here

therattle posted:

PJ Harvey is editing BBC Radio 4 (like NPR) this morning. Very good.

The Beeb is one major reason why Britannia still rules.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of reasons why Britannia owns (they don't really, well except for sometimes) :

has anyone watched ray mears stuff? I started watching these really loving nerdy series and dude has gotten me wanting to get all rené redzepi on some twigs and snails and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z0essRI8E&t=2503s

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress my life. loving negative seventy five degrees.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's like 60F outside in Austin. I had to wear a sweater to work today. loving winter.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Casu Marzu posted:

gently caress my life. loving negative seventy five degrees.

:stare: that's about 20 degrees from the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth, obtained from Siberia.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Daeren posted:

:stare: that's about 20 degrees from the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth, obtained from Siberia.

:ssh: It's windchill. It's actually gonna be a balmy -30F on Monday.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Daeren posted:

Not in Fahrenheit it's not.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Make sorbet outside in your skivvies. Hardcore cookin.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Casu Marzu posted:

:ssh: It's windchill. It's actually gonna be a balmy -30F on Monday.

Giant pussies in school administration say they are likely to cancel school on Monday just because it's supposed to be -30F with wind chills nearing -75.

Get on the goddamn bus!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah it's been a brutal winter here, too :smugbert:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

NosmoKing posted:

Giant pussies in school administration say they are likely to cancel school on Monday just because it's supposed to be -30F with wind chills nearing -75.

Get on the goddamn bus!

They already cancelled it in Minnesota. Gonna be cold as gently caress there and also I know I'm planning on going to school in Madison in the fall, but I'd like Wisconsin to hold onto that bitter loving cold January weather until next year instead of me having to walk all over campus at UGA when it's a high of like 23 and a low of 7 on Monday. I'm not okay with that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah it's been a brutal winter here, too :smugbert:

I would rather have snow then fires and mudslides.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Impromptu red snappers with Chiangquing vinegar and other pantry supplies is always a good look for the hungover crowd, especially as an "I'm sorry I gotta go have fun cleaning up" move. And yes, I hit them with the applewood smoke while they were blending. drat fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Things are not all well in Los Angeles, our freedoms are being taken away:
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78740466/