Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Brown posted:

A few texts between myself and a friend who is a Bama fan got me thinking: How could a scout try and defend AJ's performance last night?

He was obviously pressured but a QB can't always expect a clean pocket. He didn't seem to move around to well, and he either held onto the ball for a long time or threw the ball out of bounds. There weren't many times when he either extended a play or made a great throw in tight coverage.

What you do you guys think?
Here's what NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said about it:

quote:

McCarron is a player that elicits a wide range of opinions from NFL evaluators. I've talked to executives that believe he is a lock to be a solid NFL starting quarterback, while others have told me they view him as a long-term backup signal-caller at the next level. My opinion lands somewhere in the middle of those two camps. I do believe McCarron has the potential to be a functional starting quarterback in the right system/situation, but he really needs to work on his lower-body mechanics.

"Functional starting quarterback" is pretty faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Quest For Glory II posted:

"Functional starting quarterback" is pretty faint praise.

"I have certainly seen him stand and throw a football, I have no reason to doubt that he will be able to continue standing and throwing footballs"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

JFF probably doesn't make it out of the top 10, or even top 5 after his game against Duke.

One game hardly decides where a prospect is going. Manziel probably won't test amazingly at the combine.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

One game hardly decides where a prospect is going. Manziel probably won't test amazingly at the combine.

Well no poo poo the one game won't decide that alone, but that game did a lot to redeem him for the previous two games. And how will Manziel not test well at the Combine aside from the reveal that he's always been 4'9?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like Manziel will be Colt McCoy 2.0 and end up concussing his way out of the league pretty quickly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Can the state of Texas produce two QBs with amazing names (or nickname in JFF's case) and have them both bust? Let's find out!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Does being short make his skull especially thin or something

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I feel like Manziel will be Colt McCoy 2.0 and end up concussing his way out of the league pretty quickly.

I legitimately can't even remember who was the coach that drafted him. Mangini? That was when they had poo poo for an offensive line and skill positions outside of Thomas IIRC, or am I mis-remembering?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elotana posted:

It lines it up with shoulders pretty well. Also passing lanes, all the normal short QB worries that everyone's forgotten after Wilson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Elotana posted:

Well if he plays the way he does in college in the NFL he's going to take a lot of hits

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Well if he plays the way he does in college in the NFL he's going to take a lot of hits

I'd like to see him go to a team (whether Houston or otherwise) that forces him to play a lot like Wilson: using his ability to escape the pocket as a backup and exploit his accuracy as a pocket passer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I'd like to see him go to a team (whether Houston or otherwise) that forces him to play a lot like Wilson: using his ability to escape the pocket as a backup and exploit his accuracy as a pocket passer.

I think he would have been ideally suited for Gary Kubiak's offense

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bhsman posted:

JFF probably doesn't make it out of the top 10, or even top 5 after his game against Duke.

You never know how the draft will play out. Bridgewater and Bortles will likely go before him and it's possible Manziel's workouts don't measure up to the athletic ability he's displayed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

Well no poo poo the one game won't decide that alone, but that game did a lot to redeem him for the previous two games. And how will Manziel not test well at the Combine aside from the reveal that he's always been 4'9?

Slow 40 time mostly. He'll also test lower in vertical and cone drills, and will probably look pedestrian in throwing drills. His magic is on the field, not off it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bhsman posted:

I do not think his stock rose all that much from playing well against Duke.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Depends if he gets a coaching staff who's going to throw him back out there when nobodies home.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not overall, no, but it could help erase any doubts people had after his games against Mizzou and LSU.

Doltos posted:

Slow 40 time mostly. He'll also test lower in vertical and cone drills, and will probably look pedestrian in throwing drills. His magic is on the field, not off it.

We'll see, but I'd argue that the cone times are where his quick-twitch would come in handy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SlipUp posted:

Depends if he gets a coaching staff who's going to throw him back out there when nobodies home.
Well, it's already happened in Cleveland once

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it helps his case that his poor play in the two previous games could be attributed to injury, especially to the thumb on his throwing hand.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
How a prospect played in their bowl game is overrated. Unlike 15-20 years ago, you can get all the tape you need on just about every snap a prospect ever played. The only reason bowl games might have some effect is because drat near every team scouts it in person

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I would not be sad to get Sammy Watkins in the first. We don't have anyone with speed on the Bucs offense and hot drat is he fast.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Also as far as passing lanes go, physically, his OL and SEC DL are as close as you'll get to an NFL preview and it was never an issue at all

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I would not be sad to get Sammy Watkins in the first. We don't have anyone with speed on the Bucs offense and hot drat is he fast.

If the Raiders end up taking him because they don't like Bortles or JFF, there's going to be too many lovely jokes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What is Tajh Boyd projected at? He seems like he's been getting better as the year progressed.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

No Butt Stuff posted:

What is Tajh Boyd projected at? He seems like he's been getting better as the year progressed.

He's fluctuated throughout the year from late first to late 3rd.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'd be so upset if my team needed a QB and drafted Tajh Boyd.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ehud posted:

I'd be so upset if my team needed a QB and drafted Tajh Boyd.

Incidentally I'd be fine with the Dolphins taking a flyer on Boyd in the fourth or so

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nawid posted:

If the Raiders end up taking him because they don't like Bortles or JFF, there's going to be too many lovely jokes.

They won't. The Raiders have desperate needs at too many positions to take a WR.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So where is the defensive line talent in this draft? Is it Clowney with a significant drop off, or is there a lot of talent to be had? It is almost assured we go defensive line in the first, and I suspect it would cost a ton in draft picks to get up and get Clowney at 14.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Barr is good, but he gets manhandled by bigger TEs

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Excuse me, but uh...why didn't OSU call their second timeout on 2nd & 20 after the clock was stopped by a penalty???

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is Sammy Watkins gonna drop to #10

Sammy Watkins isn't gonna drop to #10 is he

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sataere posted:

So where is the defensive line talent in this draft? Is it Clowney with a significant drop off, or is there a lot of talent to be had? It is almost assured we go defensive line in the first, and I suspect it would cost a ton in draft picks to get up and get Clowney at 14.

Listening to the draftnik podcasts it sounds like its basically clowney, decent falloff to #2, then a pretty major cliff.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

VJeff posted:

People have been occasionally mocking him top five, usually fourth to the Browns.

It's possible that he drops but, after today's game, I wouldn't bet on it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

No Butt Stuff posted:

UDFA because he's a loving bum

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Devante Parker is staying in school according to his twitter feed http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1908997-devante-parker-passes-up-2014-nfl-draft-to-return-to-louisville

Probably a third rounder if he declared but his absence will make the 2014 receiver class that small measure less beautiful.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Azhais posted:

Listening to the draftnik podcasts it sounds like its basically clowney, decent falloff to #2, then a pretty major cliff.

This is said every single draft since the beginning of time, "oh there's three or four blue chip guys, then the rest of the class is a big drop off" then come week 8 there's a whole swath of dudes who're playing well.

There's always value to be had. Clowney is obviously the guy everyone's jizzing over, but lets not get hyperbolic over the rest of the class being sacks of poo poo.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

VJeff posted:

Makes sense for Tampa at 7 or Buffalo at 9 to me, plus the Rams if they trade back.

I think Detroit should probably take one of the linebackers anyway, this WR class is deep as hell and I don't think it's as big of a need for them as most Lions fans seem to.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Texans do decide on Bortles and manage to, say, trade the pick for Cleveland's two firsts (assuming he doesn't rise after the combine) and take him at 4, what pass rushers would be available at 26?

Though the Browns might be reluctant to make another Trent Richardson type trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

If the Texans do decide on Bortles and manage to, say, trade the pick for Cleveland's two firsts (assuming he doesn't rise after the combine) and take him at 4, what pass rushers would be available at 26?

Though the Browns might be reluctant to make another Trent Richardson type trade

Trent Murphy could be there, though after Chase Thomas going from late-first to UDFA last year, I'm a little wary of Stanford linemen. I'd rather grab a tackle at that point.

• Locked thread