Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm going to TFcon Chicago. Made plans to go to the one in Toronto so now I need to decide if I want to attend both or what. There's no Charticon 2014 right? Or did I make that up? The survey stuff they sent out talked about 2015...

Anyway, a thread meet up would be :krad: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DoctorWhat posted:

The chief difference being is that Simon Furman's 80s output was just above-average comics writing, whereas The Touch (and Dare) is, was, and always will be a masterpiece. :colbert:

No, that still lines up with my analogy, I'd say. Furman's '80s TF stories and the 1986 version of The Touch were both great work, but every time they rehash them as the years go by you start to wonder if that was all they had in 'em to begin with.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

I'm going to TFcon Chicago. Made plans to go to the one in Toronto so now I need to decide if I want to attend both or what. There's no Charticon 2014 right? Or did I make that up? The survey stuff they sent out talked about 2015...

Anyway, a thread meet up would be :krad: .

Yeah, I just learned that they're not doing Charticon this year because they didn't know how successful they would be, and it's too late to get prepared now, so the next Charticon is 2015.

Right now I am seriously considering both TFCons. If I get tickets now, there's not a huge difference between Toronto and Chicago prices. They're also pretty far apart time wise.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
lolling at skidsblast

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I could probably do TFCon Chicago, I could likely even use some "comp nights" and stay for free at the Four Seasons Chicago for the duration. :smug:

Also, is PE Aranea worth it for $100? I watched Peaugh's review and I dig the design and aesthetics of both modes, but the mega-floppy spider drone mode and all the partsforming gives me pause.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, I could probably do TFCon Chicago, I could likely even use some "comp nights" and stay for free at the Four Seasons Chicago for the duration. :smug:

That's an hour train ride one way :smugdog:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trains are usually cool, is it at least a cool train ride?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Regarding the animation talk on the last page, Call of the Primitives was supposedly done by TMS but no one actually knows. It does look really good compared to the rest of season 3.

I wish we could get a redone G1 with the animation done in the style of those Studio Ox illustrations and the transformations looking like they would make sense as toys instead of just sort of morphing like in the later seasons. It would probably take an eternity to animate it but it would look so drat cool as a result. Also, it would have to have DiCola on the soundtrack because of how badass the movie score was.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 1, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Oh man, TFChiCon would only be like a five hour drive for me. I may do that; sounds fun.

Also Chicago-style pizza is loving excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, I'd be down for TFcon Chicago, I haven't been to a TF convention since Botcon was in town.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Customs sent me a feces-scented letter today telling me they're taxing me out of a cool $89 for my BBTS box. Firstworld problems yes I know, I just wanted to let you peeps in the US know how lucky you have it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm PRETTY sure people in the third world would be mad about 89 dollars on a casual purchase, that's loving bullshit. Canada Post is loving trash.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Ka0 posted:

Customs sent me a feces-scented letter today telling me they're taxing me out of a cool $89 for my BBTS box. Firstworld problems yes I know, I just wanted to let you peeps in the US know how lucky you have it.

Did my box get dinged any fees? I found a blue beast bee today at Target, is this awesome?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

strangehamster posted:

Did my box get dinged any fees? I found a blue beast bee today at Target, is this awesome?

Not really, it got delivered to my door without a hitch. It's the BBTS and amazon boxes that customs targets, as evidenced by the fact that none of my tfsource orders has never been held for ransom.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They've only held up packages like two or three times for me, but when they did it was always BBTS packages (other times they let them through with no problem). Must be the huge dumb BBTS tape.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Wonderful news. My Quadruple U's shoulder joints broke. I didn't even force them or anything. Luckily I still have dual-epoxy chemical welding compound, I'll try to fix them tomorrow, I'm pretty beat up at the moment.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ka0 posted:

Wonderful news. My Quadruple U's shoulder joints broke. I didn't even force them or anything. Luckily I still have dual-epoxy chemical welding compound, I'll try to fix them tomorrow, I'm pretty beat up at the moment.

That's not wonderful news at all! Is that...common? :gonk: I was going to order myself QuadU sometime next week.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna go ahead and ask this again:

Xenomrph posted:

Also, is PE Aranea worth it for $100? I watched Peaugh's review and I dig the design and aesthetics of both modes, but the mega-floppy spider drone mode and all the partsforming gives me pause.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna go ahead and ask this again:

I dunno. I don't have her, but I have their Arcee. She's small, fragile, and very partsformer-y. In my book, she's not worth the $90-100 she retails for. There's a lot of people who are really into Perfect Effect stuff, but I can't say I am. Perfect Effect makes stuff that's small, transformations rely on small, easily lost parts, and they're almost always overpriced.

But that's just my two cents, a lot of people love their stuff.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That's not wonderful news at all! Is that...common? :gonk: I was going to order myself QuadU sometime next week.

For what's worth I checked my Code and Smartrobin, they don't have any problems. It seems I got unlucky, nobody at TFW has comented on this problem so far.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

He's the only Crow worth caring about given the horrible sequels in the film franchise and the comics. I still think something worthwhile could have been done with the idea, but all anyone ever did was rehash the first story over and over.

I'm sorry this is dredging up a post from a while back, but not ALL The Crow stories were revenge-based rehashes of the original. I remember reading one, the last before I totally dropped comics for a while due to being a poor student, where Mark Lueng, as the Crow, was totally unconcerned with his own death, his only concern was the safety of his underage daughters from sex slavery. There was a pretty strong anti-sex tourism/Thailand bent but I didn't disagree with it.

Sorry to dredge that up, this is a thread about Transformers. Just catching up and had to say something.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_(comics)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven't heard of it happening elsewhere, and have certainly had no problems with mine. Also Fansproject is pretty open to working with customers for replacement parts, but since Ka0 is in another hemisphere that probably isn't an option for him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm sorry this is dredging up a post from a while back, but not ALL The Crow stories were revenge-based rehashes of the original. I remember reading one, the last before I totally dropped comics for a while due to being a poor student, where Mark Lueng, as the Crow, was totally unconcerned with his own death, his only concern was the safety of his underage daughters from sex slavery. There was a pretty strong anti-sex tourism/Thailand bent but I didn't disagree with it.

Sorry to dredge that up, this is a thread about Transformers. Just catching up and had to say something.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_(comics)

I admit I haven't read many of the recent (read: last decade) Crow comics, so maybe those are indeed better. I think the basic concept has a lot of promise, it's just incredibly strange to me that nobody seems to be able to pick that ball up and run with it. When City of Angels was announced I was hoping the series would become a sort of anthology series about this weird, dark world, each film taking place in a different city. City of Angels was terrible, but the visual take on Los Angeles was pretty cool. I would have liked to have seen it continue jumping from place to place with more varied revenge stories. Dark mirror versions of New Orleans or Seattle or San Francisco could have resulted in some really memorable visuals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Any update on Palace Gifts? :(

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The_Doctor posted:

Any update on Palace Gifts? :(

All I've heard is that the building is unsalvagable. The Washington State TF community is rife with concerned people eager to help by vulturing for cheap deals on toys with damaged or destroyed packaging, which is loving disgusting, so I am opting out of the loop on this event.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Thew releases his top 13 of 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGMaKsZoPQ

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

All I've heard is that the building is unsalvagable. The Washington State TF community is rife with concerned people eager to help by vulturing for cheap deals on toys with damaged or destroyed packaging, which is loving disgusting, so I am opting out of the loop on this event.

This on TFW? I've not been over there in awhile.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
drat I needs me a MP-10b

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

This is how I left QuadrupleU yesterday. The chemical welding compound has a (reported) 390 Kg/cm2 of lap shear strenght and no less than 560 Kg/cm2 of tensile strenght, which blows any cyanoacrylate superglue compound out of the water. It also resists water and just about any organic solvent there is.

The joint fit snuggly but to be safe I sanded and drilled a hole between them so that the welding compound could have a larger adhesion surface.

After about 30 hours, the joint is strong enough to support the weight of the figure. I also rotates like a motherfucker.

Assembling it all back is as easy as putting 2 screws.

I gave Weirdwalt a decepticon sticker and it looks fantastic. I'm going to find a small brush to paint some of his face red.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
I just wanted to thank my awesome Secret Santa for the killer gifts this year. I just got back home and to your package. You knocked it out of the park with the Figma Link and Wheelie. Much appreciated, extremely thoughtful.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
ThreeA casually reveals they picked up a TF license :aaaaa:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It's gonna be awesome when the first figure finally ships in 2016.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Ka0 posted:

This is how I left QuadrupleU yesterday. The chemical welding compound has a (reported) 390 Kg/cm2 of lap shear strenght and no less than 560 Kg/cm2 of tensile strenght, which blows any cyanoacrylate superglue compound out of the water. It also resists water and just about any organic solvent there is.

I had to combine this kind of epoxy with Citadel's pinning system to repair the fins on my G1 Overlord this weekend. If we lived anywhere near each other I would suggest we go get a nice stiff drink.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Well, I have been working on Blitzwing's goddamn shoulders long enough to warrant downing a boilermaker.
drat these shoulder pegs suck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ka0 posted:

The joint fit snuggly but to be safe I sanded and drilled a hole between them so that the welding compound could have a larger adhesion surface.

After about 30 hours, the joint is strong enough to support the weight of the figure. I also rotates like a motherfucker.

Assembling it all back is as easy as putting 2 screws.

I gave Weirdwalt a decepticon sticker and it looks fantastic. I'm going to find a small brush to paint some of his face red.
Is that the BotCon Weirdwolf or something else?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fansproject.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's the FansProject headmaster Quadruple U

Nice photographs btw Ka0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How the hell has that drat 5th Stunticon not been released yet? I've been holding off on buying them until I hear reviews on Not-Motormaster.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

How the hell has that drat 5th Stunticon not been released yet? I've been holding off on buying them until I hear reviews on Not-Motormaster.

Peaugh reviewed the Not Motormaster aka Diesel a few weeks ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arsenal_12 posted:

Peaugh reviewed the Not Motormaster aka Diesel a few weeks ago.

I don't watch him because his voice makes me want to stab children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rhyno posted:

I don't watch him because his voice makes me want to stab children.

I watch his videos muted. The partsforming on that figure gave me the chills.