Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

stratdax posted:

Playing guitar gets me ultra high action all the time. Feels good man.

If that guy had a mullet he'd look like the twin brother of the dude who taught me guitar

White Dog Eggs posted:

What about this?

I think that's based on the guitar that the guy in Guess Who played, it too was ugly

Peavey has committed crimes against taste y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Put a 24-fret neck and a nicer hard-tail on that thing and I'd be all over it!

White Dog Eggs posted:

This is literally the reason PRS released a 22-fret model. 24 frets is for young people playing angry-core death metal like Dragonforce and My Chemical Valentine.
Hey, man, sometimes you just need that high F#.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2014

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Put a 24-fret neck and a nicer hard-tail on that thing and I'd be all over it!

well no poo poo

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Woah. No comment.

I don't think it's lovely, but of course you all will.

It's called Everyman and I wrote it in 1994 but this is the latest version I recorded, sometime in 2003. I did this whole recording myself, using the home-made Strat-style and my lovely old Cort bass. The drums are from an old Roldand DR-5 and the vocals are all me. It was meant to be a kinda heavy King's X style blues:

http://tindeck.com/listen/smfs

Or if you don't like that, then you won't like this:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kjky

I have lots more. You'll hate all of it.

How about you just gently caress yourself?

Yo, I hate these songs because the mixing is loving awful and there's nothing clever about them.

I showed it to a professional jazz musician the first song and she said "It's the most boring song you've ever showed me"

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

just google "Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood" and you'll see it's a gorgeous 12-bar blues in G about a guy who's cut off from his girl by bad weather and he's down about it. I love that tune. I love the blues.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

I showed it to a professional jazz musician the first song and she said "It's the most boring song you've ever showed me"

And that's saying something, cause if he's a working jazzman then he's probably had to sit through/play on poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGAC_6XeCIU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Yo, I hate these songs because the mixing is loving awful and there's nothing clever about them.

Faustus even this fag who hangs out with a bunch of jazz queers hates that song

back to studio time

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Built by a West Virgina gospel/Bluegrass player named Rex Parker, allegedly back in 1955, currently sitting on a chair in my living room, the Guitbanjolin.

I really need to tear it down and fix the wiring and see if it can be made playable again.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

Faustus even this fag who hangs out with a bunch of jazz queers hates that song

back to studio time

I'm proud of it. I wrote it 20 years ago and it's supposed to be simple and slow.

It's a bluesy take on the monster slow beats of King's X from the Dogman album, from early 1994.

I know it's not flashy, but it's got a decent bridge, and an ok solo. I had to mix the thing on headphones and Cambridge Audio PC speakers, as that version was done on n-Track on a PC that was for gaming, not music. Also, I didn't have anyone to help me, so I had to program the drums, and do all the other parts myself. I'd rather have done it with a band but it wasn't feasible at the time.

But wait, am I taking you seriously? Oops, I'm not supposed to do that. Dammit!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had to mix the thing on headphones and Cambridge Audio PC speakers, as that version was done on n-Track on a PC that was for gaming, not music. Also, I didn't have anyone to help me, so I had to program the drums, and do all the other parts myself. I'd rather have done it with a band but it wasn't feasible at the time.

It really shows. Why you would post it, though, is beyond me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Because it's a bad recording of an original tune that I wrote and it means a lot to me. I can't really get into why because it's personal stuff, but I will admit this:

My musical friends have told me that if I ever try to record it by myself again they're gonna take all my gear away from me. We played it in the prog rock band and a blues band at gigs and upped the tempo a bit, and with the addition of other voices and tones it comes off a lot better.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i own a guitar that's american made strat body with a yamaha pacifica neck and a tune-o-matic bridge. it's gold, with gold hardware, and a white sparkle pickguard. it is really ugly.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

grats on knowning a musician

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
and also on knowing a girl :eyepop:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

heh look at this guy empty quoting a thing that was used to show what an insufferable windbag he is

its like hes in on the joke now so its okay!

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

man thats gross posted:

heh look at this guy empty quoting a thing that was used to show what an insufferable windbag he is

its like hes in on the joke now so its okay!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

Because it's a bad recording of an original tune that I wrote and it means a lot to me. I can't really get into why because it's personal stuff, but I will admit this:

My musical friends have told me that if I ever try to record it by myself again they're gonna take all my gear away from me. We played it in the prog rock band and a blues band at gigs and upped the tempo a bit, and with the addition of other voices and tones it comes off a lot better.

Salt Fish posted:

Faustus is a narcissist who is only capable of talking about himself. Everyone knows someone like this who just blah blah blah about themselves on and on. God forbid if you run into someone like that while you're trying to have a good time at the bar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather not talk about anyone else around here because this thread is so negative there's not much that I can say about any of you that's nice. I'm not a narcissist (I know real, clinical narcissists in my own family and they are incredibly destructive, way more than a guitarist like myself anti-posting in an ugly guitar thread) and I feel bad when I let myself sink to insulting people. It feels great at first but then later I feel ashamed.
Narcissists, FYI, don't feel shame, ever.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Oh man, you know what this reminds me of? Eleven paragraphs about my life that no one but me could give a gently caress about.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'd rather not talk about anyone else around here because this thread is so negative there's not much that I can say about any of you that's nice. I'm not a narcissist (I know real, clinical narcissists in my own family and they are incredibly destructive, way more than a guitarist like myself anti-posting in an ugly guitar thread) and I feel bad when I let myself sink to insulting people. It feels great at first but then later I feel ashamed.

this needs to end

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks for that little bit of insight into the lives of these people that mean nothing to anyone here but you, you not a narcissist you!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

Oh man, you know what this reminds me of? Eleven paragraphs about my life that no one but me could give a gently caress about.
Well, to be fair, you could give a gently caress, even engage in a conversation about it and have a back-and-forth meeting of minds. But that's not gibbis.

man thats gross posted:

Thanks for that little bit of insight into the lives of these people that mean nothing to anyone here but you, you not a narcissist you!
You're welcome.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
The title of this thread is only ugly guitars itt not man thats gross and dr. faustus jack each other off and talk about gear and their families and friends for thirty pages.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

The title of this thread is only ugly guitars itt not man thats gross and dr. faustus jack each other off and talk about gear and their families and friends for thirty pages.
I thought I said that already.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
and yet you persist

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

and yet you persist
I am Jack's total lack of self-perception.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus posted:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
you are jack's off

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
lol "anti-posting"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am Jack's total lack of self-perception.

youre a loving dork. go play your guitars, pet your dog, wish for a life partner, and don't post

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I I I I I I I I I...

...am in a great relationship and she and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary in February. Thanks for asking!

Stop posting?

You first.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Dr. Faustus posted:

I I I I I I I I I...

...am in a great relationship and she and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary in February. Thanks for asking!

Stop posting?

You first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0eqjzTg0iU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hey dr. faustus wanna guitar duel

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Declan MacManus posted:

hey dr. faustus wanna guitar duel

Bro he already threw down where are your sick riffs

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
Anybody here actually have a double necked guitar?

Cause we should pitch them against each other, to find the wiener.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I I I I I I I I I...

Stop posting?

You first.

CONGRATULATIONS

celebrate early by not posting anymore

and lol at 1st anniversary at a 40 something with dozens of guitars and a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Bro he already threw down where are your sick riffs