Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

bunky posted:

CONGRATULATIONS

celebrate early by not posting anymore

and lol at 1st anniversary at a 40 something with dozens of guitars and a dog

see now that wa s a personal attack learn to tell the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

CONGRATULATIONS

celebrate early by not posting anymore

and lol at 1st anniversary at a 40 something with dozens of guitars and a dog
I look on the bright side: No child-support, no alimony.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

man thats gross posted:

see now that wa s a personal attack learn to tell the difference

i know the difference but don't know how to care

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Declan MacManus posted:

poo poo hold on lemme go lay some down

Ok for your sake I hope u cut a handle in ur guitar to get perfect tone forever

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I look on the bright side: No child-support, no alimony.

are you saying you're so insufferable even in real life your theoretical wife would leave you and take the kids?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

causticBeet posted:

Ok for your sake I hope u cut a handle in ur guitar to get perfect tone forever

i laid down my illest riffs

http://tindeck.com/listen/dedf

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

More guitar hate

everybody loves quilt top

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

You did that without a monkey grip in your axe? Dude, I bow down.

iostream.h posted:

More guitar hate

everybody loves quilt top

And zebra humbuckers, too. Truly, the worst of us. (I love it, but I hate the scale length and fly-by-night build quality of Gibsons.) It's a gorgeous finish if I ever saw one.

I mean, look how loving ugly that Les Paul is!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 4, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
mitchell ukulele, an sg and a fretless bass i built with a de-fretted p-bass neck mounted to an old cello body i braced up with plywood

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/the-try

just a melody i had kicking around in my head - hope you enjoy this, it's not quite done

the "bacello" is ugly as gently caress btw, waiting for my camera to recharge so i can post it here

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 4, 2014

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WIDDLY WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i am make music

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Harry in Rio posted:

mitchell ukulele, an sg and a fretless bass i built with a de-fretted p-bass neck mounted to an old cello body i braced up with plywood

just a melody i had kicking around in my head - hope you enjoy this, it's not quite done

the "bacello" is ugly as gently caress btw, waiting for my camera to recharge so i can post it here
I love it. The cool chords at 1:21 are gorgeous. Shocked by the distorted part at 4:15.
Do you listen to Michael Hedges at all? Just PM me.
That's a fine piece of music, even if it's a little hot-tub new-agey. Unless I was supposed to hate it, in which case, holy poo poo that was bad.

Nice job keeping the tempo without a rhythm section. My girlfriend enjoyed it a lot, too.

ONLY UGLY GUITARS ITT, DAMMIT

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOLXqWlGOsY

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
it's 2 am and i just finished ordering parts to repaint my guitar body because i was inspired after this thread

like i said, it's a strat body with a yamaha pacifica neck that i got for really cheap. i was thinking of getting a warmoth neck or a fender neck(i don't know whose are better and tbh they're around the same price) but you know what, i kind of like the pacifica neck to be honest with you.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

it's 2 am and i just finished ordering parts to repaint my guitar body because i was inspired after this thread

like i said, it's a strat body with a yamaha pacifica neck that i got for really cheap. i was thinking of getting a warmoth neck or a fender neck(i don't know whose are better and tbh they're around the same price) but you know what, i kind of like the pacifica neck to be honest with you.

Dude, no.

The Yamaha neck is great, BUT it has such close spacing, you need an old Fender-style bridge and I really think you'd like the new tremelo-spacing bridges more.

It's not a horrible choice, just not the best, IMHO.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

fag

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I go out to dinner for five hours and look what you assholes do.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stratdax posted:

I go out to dinner for five hours and look what you assholes do.

that's just a wall decoration, so it doesn't belong in the thread

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dude, no.

The Yamaha neck is great, BUT it has such close spacing, you need an old Fender-style bridge and I really think you'd like the new tremelo-spacing bridges more.

It's not a horrible choice, just not the best, IMHO.

Sorry man, I've thought about it and I realized that if you go trem-spaced neck and trem-spaced bridge, you also need trem-spaced pickups, too. That's a lot of money to spend, so I take it back.

Go Yamaha/old Fender and have fun. It's not a huge difference anyway. Sorry!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Please let's talk more about the benefits or downsides of a yamaha pacifico neck vis-a-vis the musicman corona neck because that's really compelling poo poo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This thread goes through good and bad periods depending on whether Dr Faustus is awake or not

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Do you think this DeathAngel would benefit from trem-spacing fretboard pickups or do you think I should replace it with a fretless that's 0.5mm longer?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Harry in Rio posted:

what i pretty much play - the sg is just so much fun to play, i know, i know, 3 humbuckers. this is the ugly guitar thread.

i love ouds. i really, really love ouds.

and this where i belong when i'm not tending livestock, or dealing with the other myriads of poo poo in life... i love recording and i do it almost daily. sometimes i'll just record a cello piece or some stupid guitar stuff for a friend doing a youtube video - but pushing 50, hey, i'm loving happy, happier than i have ever been in life.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

i know, i know, 3 humbuckers.

That's some weak poo poo dude. Get on my level:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

If you aren't rocking a 1:1 pickup:string ratio you may as well just burn your guitar

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Harry in Rio posted:

and this where i belong when i'm not tending livestock, or dealing with the other myriads of poo poo in life... i love recording and i do it almost daily. sometimes i'll just record a cello piece or some stupid guitar stuff for a friend doing a youtube video - but pushing 50, hey, i'm loving happy, happier than i have ever been in life.

Dude...I work with a lot gear too but what the gently caress do you have going on here

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Ha, I'm almost as old as Faustus and we made fun of that poo poo music back then because it was poo poo. Why is anybody playing it like 20 years later it was loving horrible.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Photex posted:

Dude...I work with a lot gear too but what the gently caress do you have going on here

4 mixers incomprehensibly chained together

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry in Rio posted:

what i pretty much play - the sg is just so much fun to play, i know, i know, 3 humbuckers. this is the ugly guitar thread.

i love ouds. i really, really love ouds.

oh look a cellobass. i bet the person who made that thought "this is going to sound awesome" because of cello acoustics or some dumb poo poo.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Photex posted:

thats not even half of the gear i've set got - but when i record my own drums i have my girlfriend sitting about 80 feet away watching poo poo - this is mostly presonus firewire stuff, i use studio one to record with, obviously you can see the bbe sonic maximizer and the eq's.

for drums i play a frankenkit - i also have a custom kit i brought back from england - 10 lug 24" bass, and 6 rack toms with an 18" floor tom. i ditched the rack toms and play a 4 piece now, with some stuff i've rescued (a 22" ride that was keyholed and cracked that i turned down to 20", i built my own gong from 1/8" stainless steel, using smooth-cote stainless steel welding rods and a lot of time with a grinder - welded the supports from an old bed frame)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dolphin posted:

oh look a cellobass. i bet the person who made that thought "this is going to sound awesome" because of cello acoustics or some dumb poo poo.

no, it was just repurposing something. it was broken, i had some other parts and i decided to try it out. it actually projects quite well unamplified, but that's not why i did it.

i put a 1/8th inch piece of round rod in the bottom that is tightened with a wing-nut, so you play it like a stand up. with the lace pickup, it doesn't sound that bad. that cello body was literally trash. i got it for nothing and at the time was playing irish folk music, so it was a lot of fun to poke around on that with the group of fellas i was running around with at the time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

killhamster posted:

4 mixers incomprehensibly chained together

I noticed that I was trying to follow the runs but I'm on my cell. I just uh don't understand this I see three 4 channel and one 8 channel, are those bringanothers? (Behringer)

Oh wait are you using a patch bay to basically use those 4s as expansions or something ?

Edit: ah okay figured it out, you've got a 8 channel snake or something and you're using the stereo outs into either a patch bay or those presonus racks?

Photex fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 4, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Photex posted:

I noticed that I was trying to follow the runs but I'm on my cell. I just uh don't understand this I see three 4 channel and one 8 channel, are those bringanothers? (Behringer)

Oh wait are you using a patch bay to basically use those 4s as expansions or something ?

yep, i was really over-miccing a drum kit.. i was just trying something a little different

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
UGLY GUITARS ITT

Turns out we're all frustrated musicians and we should all be ashamed.

Fonzarelli posted:

This thread is only readable when Dr Faustus is awake

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 4, 2014

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Dr. Faustus posted:

UGLY GUITARS ITT

Turns out we're all frustrated musicians and we should all be ashamed.

think you are the one who should be mostly ashamed

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

think you are the one who should be mostly ashamed
O, I have shame. Just not over this abomination of a gibbis thread.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

can somebody explain how i can best insure that I turn into a cool old guy guitarist and not a pathetic middle aged guitar nerd? its important to me

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

lots of people seem to be old in this thread

whats it like being over the age of 35, do you feel your life is over?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Harry in Rio posted:

yep, i was really over-miccing a drum kit.. i was just trying something a little different

fair enough it works , it may not be pretty but once I noticed the snake and realized those were stereo outs it made sense. I don't quite understand the love for the bbe though everyone says its like taking a pillow off your instrument :shrug:

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Captain Tolerable posted:

lots of people seem to be old in this thread

whats it like being over the age of 35, do you feel your life is over?

just their dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

O, I have shame. Just not over this abomination of a gibbis thread.

You have five pages worth of posts alone and not once did you post an ugly guitar (other than your own, of course).
This thread is called "only ugly guitars itt". Try to be mindful of what you're doing.

• Locked thread