Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DStecks posted:

What exactly does creating the Duchy of Venice do, as a Most Serene Republic?

Not much, it just exists so that you can still be the republic of venice if you have a King as a liege.
However, you need to pretty much game over to lose the kingdom title in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I did have a rather strange experience with losing Venice as a merchant republic, although that wouldn't have made a duchy-level republic of venice any more likely to happen.

As doge of Venice, I lost the election in the middle of a war with mercenaries raised, becoming a neighbouring duke-level patrician, while the AI lost the war, then had a peasant rebellion in Venice.
Since he couldn't raise troops, he lose the rebellion, then things went weird.
Since I already had a duchy, I became a new merchant republic, the rebels became an independent grand mayor, and the former doge became an unlanded king of venice.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Tesla was right posted:

I did have a rather strange experience with losing Venice as a merchant republic, although that wouldn't have made a duchy-level republic of venice any more likely to happen.

As doge of Venice, I lost the election in the middle of a war with mercenaries raised, becoming a neighbouring duke-level patrician, while the AI lost the war, then had a peasant rebellion in Venice.
Since he couldn't raise troops, he lose the rebellion, then things went weird.
Since I already had a duchy, I became a new merchant republic, the rebels became an independent grand mayor, and the former doge became an unlanded king of venice.

Something similar seems to have happened in my Hispania game, except 2 mercenary bands have taken a bunch of Venetian lands (including Venice) and the Serene Doge has his holdings in the south of Italy.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
It's kind of funny how quickly this game can go down the toilet. I was sitting high on the Kingdom of Norway, slowly gathering land to make the empire, and I was holding off revoking some counties because I just wanted to raid a little more and I had the Stressed trait, so I knew I could die at any time, but I didn't set up my little perfect duchy.

Die, succession war springs up, then I get hit with a Crusade. The Crusade goes well, then all of a sudden my shithead CATHOLIC BROTHER has formed a 20k host for Norway. Of course I get steamrolled.

Lose that, lose the Crusade, end up as my aunt cause I picked her as my heir, and now I'm stuck as a backwater duke in some poo poo county in Finland and no claim on the throne.

I think I'm going to ride this out see if I can get back on top, but is there any way to defend against a giant host, or is that a big gently caress you? I noticed in an earlier game some guy in Sweden got a huge host, took the Kingdom of Granada, then came up and took Sweden too.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A strategically applied stabbing is a very good defence against hosts.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tevery Best posted:

"Strategic" in this case means "before the host itself shows up." Once they have an army and declare war, I'm pretty sure other people can inherit the host if the leader dies.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nolanar posted:

"Strategic" in this case means "before the host itself shows up." Once they have an army and declare war, I'm pretty sure other people can inherit the host if the leader dies.

This only happens with scripted hosts (Seljuks, Mongols...). Normal "adventurer" hosts get disbanded when their leader is dead.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

I wanted to, but I did not want to kill my own brother :(.

Once he formed the host it was too late, the success chance was like 12%

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

hellsjudge posted:

Once he formed the host it was too late, the success chance was like 12%
Yeah, it's a bit of a decision. Once they form the host, they jump up to duke level, so the assassination is usually harder and more expensive. On the other hand, assassinating them after they form the title guarantees that there won't be a counter-assassination attempt, since the title will be destroyed with his death, while if you're discovered killing him while he's still in someone else's court, they'll probably send someone back after you.

If it's a close family member, though, I usually defeat the host in battle so I don't have to kill them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

hellsjudge posted:

I wanted to, but I did not want to kill my own brother :(.

I've learned to do this the hard way. One moment I'm the king of half of Europe, but I can't form any Empires because I keep taking land all over the place, the next I decide to gently caress with succession laws for the sake of a narrative and discover to my horror that I just set up my main title to be inherited by a branch of the family I completely forgot existed with a certain game over in two generations. And my king was 60-something at the time. I've started such a flurry of stabs that I think I've spent thrice my yearly income in two months. I salvaged the game (Ironman, so no save-scumming), but a two generations later two of my five kingdoms broke off, my ruler has changed culture (costing me my wonderful Level VI Jousting Lists) and I'm basically still dealing with the aftermath (and can't change the succession law, since my previous king got put into a coma something like a year or two before he had that option).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yeah I enjoyed Europa Universalis 2 and 3 and Hearts of Iron 2 but after CK2 I couldn't go back to not having all these personalities to deal with. I haven't even bothered picking up EU4.

I like CK2 better, but when I play EU4 I get completely sucked in by it and half a day disappears.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
As a Jewish leader with a reformed church and religious head, how do I get Great Holy Wars to happen? I built the Third Temple and reinstated the Priesthood a century or so ago, but I don't have the option to personally call GHWs and the high priest hasn't initiated any.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

As a Jewish leader with a reformed church and religious head, how do I get Great Holy Wars to happen? I built the Third Temple and reinstated the Priesthood a century or so ago, but I don't have the option to personally call GHWs and the high priest hasn't initiated any.

You can petition him, but apparently its easier for him to call them if he's landed and independent from you.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I just revoked a coastal city and gave it to a dynasty member with the intention of also handing them the county/duchy and having a vassal republic, but for some reason the game thinks that particular county is being contested in a war. As far as I can tell there is no such war, so is there a console command I can use to transfer control of this county to my vassal?

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Inside Outside posted:

I just revoked a coastal city and gave it to a dynasty member with the intention of also handing them the county/duchy and having a vassal republic, but for some reason the game thinks that particular county is being contested in a war. As far as I can tell there is no such war, so is there a console command I can use to transfer control of this county to my vassal?

give_title c_whatever charid#

for example: give_title c_genoa 1001001

That would make whomever 1001001 is the count of Genoa.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
At 1343 the Ilkhanate, after smashing almost everything from Persia to central Europe, has quietly reformed after suddenly stopping on the HRE's doorstep. The Byzantine Empire breathed a sigh of relief from it's two counties off the coast of Italy. The HRE itself has figured out how to be incredibly stable by nuking all the kingdom titles in it's de jure borders. Also, it's Orthodox, because why not. In a few years there will be no Muslim rulers left in the world.

The AI in this game really does not seem equipped to handle long time periods without going completely insane.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there any way to tell why the bloody gently caress 20,000 men have drained out of my levies in two years even though I've taken no hits to vassal opinion and been involved in no wars? Like, I can upload the two saves if you want, but as far as I can tell all of a sudden my realm just suddenly... lost 66% of its strength. It's the first time I've loaded it since SoA, could that possibly have caused it?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 4, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Is there any way to tell why the bloody gently caress 20,000 men have drained out of my levies in two years even though I've taken no hits to vassal opinion and been involved in no wars? Like, I can upload the two saves if you want, but as far as I can tell all of a sudden my realm just suddenly... lost 66% of its strength. It's the first time I've loaded it since SoA, could that possibly have caused it?

They patched the way levies work.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I'm doing an Amalfi game and I've managed to take enough from the Byzantines and Karlings to form Sicily. But to form Italia I need Italy, and since I can't usurp the title, do I just have to kill every king of Italy until the title ceases to exist so I can recreate it?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They patched the way levies work.

This also means all your rivals are just as nerfed btw, so in the end the net result is you get massively more bang for your buck from hiring mercenaries / retinues / holy orders (they weren't touched, hilariously).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Any know how hard it would be to make it possible for anyone to sail rivers? It has to do with religious group, right?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Annoyingly enough, while you get the initial levy hit (the global one) immediately when loading an old save it seems to take a while to actually update the de jure nerf, which is the super huge hit. Anything outside the de jure territory for your primary title you get a tiny fraction of the normal levies.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

So I'm doing an Amalfi game and I've managed to take enough from the Byzantines and Karlings to form Sicily. But to form Italia I need Italy, and since I can't usurp the title, do I just have to kill every king of Italy until the title ceases to exist so I can recreate it?

Pretty much, yes. I am facing the same predicament with a game I set up as Norway to have a Norse Republic in Sjaelland, but my AI king made the Kingdom of Denmark before I could get two duchies and now I am hosed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mickey McKey posted:

Any know how hard it would be to make it possible for anyone to sail rivers? It has to do with religious group, right?

Yup, it is in relgions dot txt, I found it and think I did what I wanted.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think one of my mods is causing issues. I was running a kingdom with primogeniture with the equal inheritance gender law, when suddenly I died and got booted from being emperor of Francia to being a duke of Normandy... with my empire now owned by the pope, who is my oldest daughter, who inherited every piece of land besides the one duchy.

The papacy now controls from Greenland to Ghana, and all the way west through Scandanavia.

Edit: seriously, how many things are wrong with this picture? Female Pope. Inherits half of Europe despite being removed from succession using a bishopric. Her little brother (a genius, attractive, kind, ambitious, charitable, brave, lustful character) inherits a duchy only, which breaks free from the empire and is left on its own.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 4, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Sounds pretty par for the course for ck2

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Did I get hit with a mace or has this exact story and exchange happened before?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mailer posted:

Anything outside the de jure territory for your primary title you get a tiny fraction of the normal levies.
That's it. I've kept Ireland as my primary title and England has all the military forces.

Any other sweeping changes on that level I should know about?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

That's it. I've kept Ireland as my primary title and England has all the military forces.

Make England your capital and spin Ireland off into a Merchant Republic island!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hellsjudge posted:

Make England your capital and spin Ireland off into a Merchant Republic island!
I am a precious few provinces away from being able to form Brittania, which has suddenly become a much more pressing goal. I'll let Wales be a Kingdom-level Merchant Republic, that could be fun!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I am a precious few provinces away from being able to form Brittania, which has suddenly become a much more pressing goal. I'll let Wales be a Kingdom-level Merchant Republic, that could be fun!

Unfortunately, a feudal emperor cannot have a vassal kingdom-level republic. You can make merchant republic out of the Welsh duchies, but you won't be able to crown them the Most Serene Republic of Wales.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Well that nerf is The Big Thing and plays with the rest of the changes and some of the new features in SoA. There's way too many little changes to go over. In general your military strength now lies entirely in your primary title, retinue forces and mercs. Vassals outside your de jure border suck for troops, but they can be taxed into space to generate cash for more mercs. Borrow money from the pope to pay for even more mercs. Borrow from the jews and then expel them so you don't have to pay back your loan for mercs. Mercs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Caufman posted:

Unfortunately, a feudal emperor cannot have a vassal kingdom-level republic. You can make merchant republic out of the Welsh duchies, but you won't be able to crown them the Most Serene Republic of Wales.

If you give a relatively pious man the two main duchies in Wales he should be able to form a king level republic on his own.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also I think that it's the latest patch that made your capital duchy and county provide more levies and apply a percentage modifier to their size based on the ruler's martial score.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there a way to tweak the Customizer DLC to allow me to change my dynasty shield without being the highest-level liege of all house members? I just started a game as HRE, created a republic in Holland to play as, and switched over. But I can't edit my patrician's house because he's not independent, even though he's the only member of that house.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Now if there only was a way to revoke kingdoms like duchies for Byz.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

hellsjudge posted:

It's kind of funny how quickly this game can go down the toilet. I was sitting high on the Kingdom of Norway, slowly gathering land to make the empire, and I was holding off revoking some counties because I just wanted to raid a little more and I had the Stressed trait, so I knew I could die at any time, but I didn't set up my little perfect duchy.

Die, succession war springs up, then I get hit with a Crusade. The Crusade goes well, then all of a sudden my shithead CATHOLIC BROTHER has formed a 20k host for Norway. Of course I get steamrolled.

I always wondered how the gently caress some unlanded guy with gently caress all money manages to field huge armies.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

BillBear posted:

I always wondered how the gently caress some unlanded guy with gently caress all money manages to field huge armies.

Hosts are easily the most 'Ha Ha gently caress You' mechanic in the game. At least they finally patched it so they don't just automatically outnumber you. Still they are awful because ~Event Spawn~ and no attrition. If they at least took attrition or something it would be like they are a part of the game and not just ubermensch who will oust you.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Caufman posted:

If you give your vassal republic two duchies and full control of the counties they'll form the kingdom eventually. Just take them on holy wars to get them piety.

Also a question about republics: When my dynasty Lord Mayors die, does the county go to a randomly generated guy or is it passed down to his children like a feudal county?

If it's a random vote, I'm probably better off making every county I take over a regular feudal county.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I haven't played this in a while, so my memory could be playing tricks on me. But isn't gavelkind supposed to try to distribute titles evenly? I had one duchy and 11 counties. My first son got the duchy capital and the duchy. My second son got everything else, is that really supposed to happen?

• Locked thread