Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

can somebody explain how i can best insure that I turn into a cool old guy guitarist and not a pathetic middle aged guitar nerd? its important to me

Stop playing guitar, become a producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Captain Tolerable posted:

lots of people seem to be old in this thread

whats it like being over the age of 35, do you feel your life is over?

Come back and tell us in twenty years when you've lived a little, ok?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

but what is truly living? is it doing sikk* two handed tapping with a mullet blowing in the wind from a harley davidson?

is your doctorate in funhaving?

*sikk - a more extreme version of "sick" which means cool

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fonzarelli posted:

can somebody explain how i can best insure that I turn into a cool old guy guitarist and not a pathetic middle aged guitar nerd? its important to me
impossible. quit guitar and pick up a classical instrument now and get into a major orchestra in 15 years and you might save face.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Dr. Faustus posted:

if i just buy 8 ugly guitars does that count in your book?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

stratdax posted:

Stop playing guitar, become a producer.

Or become a live sound engineer, its much more fun except if you're like me who works a lot of small function and corporate stuff. You always get asked "hey are you the DJ?"
No sir/ma'am I have an education.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
hahaha holy poo poo, just read through the first 11 pages then jumped to the end to see how many times Dr. Faustus has reposted his guitars/tried to steer the conversation back to himself.

The answer is alot.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
re-railing this thread after dr. faustus posts in it is a herculean task, but i shall try anyways.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Photex posted:

fair enough it works , it may not be pretty but once I noticed the snake and realized those were stereo outs it made sense. I don't quite understand the love for the bbe though everyone says its like taking a pillow off your instrument :shrug:

i dunno, really, the bbe maximizers are ok, i have a bbe sm stomp box for my bass that... i dunno, it's like adding salt to fries.

almost all that stuff i got was in trade for some favor i did... like welding a feeder or hauling something. i have an agreement with my significant other about money and gear - yeah, i can make my own patch cabled, but i can't make a new computer monitor - i need to make it self sustaining as possible. i play some open mics, and that's ok. but when it comes to gear, i just scrounge whatever - that snake came from a place going out of business and i grabbed it. i read about miccing the resonant heads on drums, and it was a nightmare getting the gates set right. i hit hard.

this is just simple poo poo i started off with an a7 chord. it's not hard to play, just fun for me. i'm very happy being a farmer, and have no aspirations of doing anything besides making music that i am happy with. it's like amateur photography for me. i'm not trying to impress anyone, and probably couldn't if i wanted to.

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/on-the-cusp

if you want to hear me really embarrass myself, holy poo poo, my singing is as bad as my guitar playing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Abongination posted:

hahaha holy poo poo, just read through the first 11 pages then jumped to the end to see how many times Dr. Faustus has reposted his guitars/tried to steer the conversation back to himself.

The answer is alot.
Dude, do that again, but this time count how many posts were other nerds posting my guitars and how many people were calling me out. Then, subtract that number from the "times I've tried to steer the conversation back to myself."

This stupid thread and a huge number of its stupid posts have been directed to me directly or referenced me.

Then come back and analyze the thread, please.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Harry in Rio posted:

what i pretty much play - the sg is just so much fun to play, i know, i know, 3 humbuckers. this is the ugly guitar thread.

i love ouds. i really, really love ouds.

and this where i belong when i'm not tending livestock, or dealing with the other myriads of poo poo in life... i love recording and i do it almost daily. sometimes i'll just record a cello piece or some stupid guitar stuff for a friend doing a youtube video - but pushing 50, hey, i'm loving happy, happier than i have ever been in life.

gay

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dude, do that again, but this time count how many posts were other nerds posting my guitars and how many people were calling me out. Then, subtract that number from the "times I've tried to steer the conversation back to myself."

This stupid thread and a huge number of its stupid posts have been directed to me directly or referenced me.

Maybe you could post some samples of your work? I hear you play guitar.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
i have finished analyzing the thread

*pushes up glasses and looks at clipboard*

ahem it seems dr festus has chronic big-baby-fag-nerd

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Abongination posted:

Maybe you could post some samples of your work? I hear you play guitar.
I'd rather hear you do something with music. But I've posted many tracks, some better than others. Hey, it's your turn!

Also, Harry in Rio is cool. Sorry, Harry.

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

i have finished analyzing the thread

*pushes up glasses and looks at clipboard*

ahem it seems dr festus has chronic big-baby-fag-nerd

Hey, I did the same and I've concluded you have no right to an opinion because you don't play or if you do no one knows it. I think that make you no one.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 4, 2014

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

if you werent still hanging around like a moth hangs around a lamp we would have stopped talking about you a long time ago, idiot. you are forcing the conversation to be about you by continuing to be here.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

You have a persecution complex.

Here's an ugly guitar:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

"you don't play an instrument therefore you have no opinion or rights"

-a doctor

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ootrek posted:

if you werent still hanging around like a moth hangs around a lamp we would have stopped talking about you a long time ago, idiot. you are forcing the conversation to be about you by continuing to be here.

OH!

I'm the idiot for replying to posts at me, but the people making those posts are?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

"you don't play an instrument therefore you have no opinion or rights"

-a doctor
I'm merely proposing the non-controversial idea that if you want to criticize, you should be able to do, or at least try to do, that which you criticize.

-Dr. Faustus

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

yes, it's gay and i'm ok with that

here's a really ugly guitar some dude tried to trade me on craiglist, i was like, that's a pretty ugly guitar, and he was like it's a quilted top, and then i was like well, it sure is

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

OH!

I'm the idiot for replying to posts at me, but the people making those posts are?

absolutely. you say you'll stop if we stop talking about you but you're like the seafoam green elephant in the room that won't stop talking about his epic guitar collection.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

*obsessively refreshes the thread before replying to every post*

WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP MENTIONING ME?!!!!

-Dr. Faustus

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ootrek posted:

absolutely. you say you'll stop if we stop talking about you but you're like the seafoam green elephant in the room that won't stop talking about his epic guitar collection.
Just like you and yours will NEVER shut up about me, so we'll NEVER know if I'll stop posting after you do. Because you can't stop.

Abongination posted:

Dr. Faustus posted:

*obsessively refreshes the thread before replying to every post*

WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP MENTIONING ME?!!!!

-Dr. Faustus

There's a simple way to find out.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Harry in Rio posted:

yes, it's gay and i'm ok with that

here's a really ugly guitar some dude tried to trade me on craiglist, i was like, that's a pretty ugly guitar, and he was like it's a quilted top, and then i was like well, it sure is

What did you try to trade for it?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

What did you try to trade for it?

an old lincoln ac tombstone welder

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just like you and yours will NEVER shut up about me, so we'll NEVER know if I'll stop posting after you do. Because you can't stop.

Nobody except like one guy would ever have known about you if you hadn't posted anything in the first place. Sometimes (every time) the best thing to do is to turn off the computer.

Here's yet another ugly guitar:

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

so you're using basic human psychology to act like a petty child. got it

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i want a guitar that's comprised entirely of knobs

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Can't decide if the moosecaster is amazing or terrible.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

stratdax posted:

Nobody except like one guy would ever have known about you if you hadn't posted anything in the first place. Sometimes (every time) the best thing to do is to turn off the computer.

Here's yet another ugly guitar:

holy poo poo, with all those rockers i think it might be possible to change the polarity of a small moon

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

"this knob makes it sound warmer. and this one makes it sound colder. this one's my room temperature knob."

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Harry in Rio posted:

an old lincoln ac tombstone welder

Yeah, figured it was either gonna be something like that or your rear end.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Here's yet another ugly guitar that you probably could have found space to post in one of your 400 posts:

O, I'm SO SORRY, except that if you were smart enough to check the first two pages of this very stupid thread you'd see that my own guitars were the fodder for this thread and they were posted by people who had a grudge against me, and this was their invitation to me to come inhabit this thread like my home.

So I obliged. Why not? It's gibbis.

Ootrek posted:

so you're using basic human psychology to act like a petty child. got it

Get this:
I'll stop posting about me when you all do.

I especially appreciate that I'm petty but you're not.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 4, 2014

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

comes along bort posted:

and goddamn almost 40 pages and no queensryche guitar?

sweet jesus

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
sup thread

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

Yeah, figured it was either gonna be something like that or your rear end.

SPERGOUT

now i'm gonna sperg out because of that burn

for the next 41 pages

OK YOU ASKED FOR IT CANUCKISTANI OK GOSH

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

me me me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• Locked thread