Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think they made the Batarian race unsympathetic, so much as their government. Many Batarian characters seemed perfectly fine as individuals- "ha ha ha kill all Batarians" sort of became a meme due to the fans, and not really anything in the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

That one guy you gank in the back in Archangel's recruitment seemed p. decent.

Yeah, for being a member of a gun-running, drug-smuggling, contract-killing organization he seemed nice :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pattonesque posted:

That one guy you gank in the back in Archangel's recruitment seemed p. decent.

Workaholic. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bray seems cool and the dude that runs that shop on Omega is ok too. Then there's the guys in BDTS who are like "gently caress Balak let's ditch." So they're not all assholes, but a renegade colonist Shep would probably take pictures of that explosion and post it on Futurefacebook with :lol: written next to it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lycus posted:

Arrival's story wouldn't have really worked in a human system. Instead of that, it probably would've been better to not make the entirety of the Batarian race so unsympathetic.

Honestly, I wanted a Batarian squadmate ever since ME 1. The Human-Turian friction was always rather subdued (and involved two races of roughly equal strength and prestige), so it would've been nice to get the perspective from someone who really felt that humans were stepping on their species.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Batarians were interesting to me because they represented something that tends to be glossed over in most science fiction, at least the major ones.

Usually, Earth inexplicably has a lot of breathing room around it to grow into the Empire / Federation / Whatever, even if the rest of the races in the Universe have been around for thousands of years. In Mass Effect, Earth didn't have that. Most of the space humanity spread to was either Batarian or Just-About-To-Be-Batarian. When they asked The Council to say that the area was there, the Council stood up and said "Sorry 4-Eyes, it's theirs. :getout: Humans? :getin: "

They are what Humanity could have easily become politically: screwed out of space and resources, screwed by the Powers That Be, very aware of it, and very pissed off because of it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 3, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The problems were that a) killing a kid is really blunt, and b) gamers are sort of bad at subtext.
Wait, why is Shepard guilty about the kid? IS THE KID SHEPARDS KID? :ironicat:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wait, why is Shepard guilty about the kid? IS THE KID SHEPARDS KID? :ironicat:

loving daddy issues

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Well, look, I think if we just see what Zizek has to say about guilt this then the purpose of the kid in the narrative will be obvious. Frankly, if you can't see how this demonstrates the sheer genius that the Bioware writers employed with the kid as an indicator for Shepard's mental state then, well, maybe video games aren't for you.

quote:

“[T]his readiness to assume the guilt for the threats to our environment is deceptively reassuring: We like to be guilty since, if we are guilty, it all depends on us. We pull the strings of the catastrophe, so we can also save ourselves simply by changing our lives. What is really hard for us (at least in the West) to accept is that we are reduced to the role of a passive observer who sits and watches what our fate will be. To avoid this impotence, we engage in frantic, obsessive activities. We recycle old paper, we buy organic food, we install long-lasting light bulbs—whatever—just so we can be sure that we are doing something. We make our individual contribution like the soccer fan who supports his team in front of a TV screen at home, shouting and jumping from his seat, in the belief that this will somehow influence the game's outcome.

:smug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, I wanted a Batarian squadmate ever since ME 1. The Human-Turian friction was always rather subdued (and involved two races of roughly equal strength and prestige), so it would've been nice to get the perspective from someone who really felt that humans were stepping on their species.
Besides the jerk councilor, the Human-Turian friction was practically non-existent. The Human and Turian governments seem like the closest allies within the Council. And of course the Turian squadmate is one of your best buddies. A Batarian squadmate in ME3 would've been pretty cool and could've been interesting.

MisterBibs posted:

The Batarians were interesting to me because they represented something that tends to be glossed over in most science fiction, at least the major ones.

Usually, Earth inexplicably has a lot of breathing room around it to grow into the Empire / Federation / Whatever, even if the rest of the races in the Universe have been around for thousands of years. In Mass Effect, Earth didn't have that. Most of the space humanity spread to was either Batarian or Just-About-To-Be-Batarian. When they asked The Council to say that the area was there, the Council stood up and said "Sorry 4-Eyes, it's theirs. :getout: Humans? :getin: "

They are what Humanity could have easily become politically: screwed out of space and resources, screwed by the Powers That Be, very aware of it, and very pissed off because of it.
That part of it was good. If they had that without the "slavery is part of our culture!" stuff, people might've found the Batarians more interesting.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A Batarian squadmate probably would have fit better in 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dan Didio posted:

I was thinking 3 because I imagine him was one of few Batarian survivors that fled their systems and now he's forced to work with Humans, who he's considered enemies for years, in order to save what's left of his people. I can't think of anything in particular that would've made a Batarian interesting in 2.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lycus posted:

Besides the jerk councilor, the Human-Turian friction was practically non-existent. The Human and Turian governments seem like the closest allies within the Council. And of course the Turian squadmate is one of your best buddies. A Batarian squadmate in ME3 would've been pretty cool and could've been interesting.

There's a few incidents (if you sacrifice the council, the turian vendor on the citadel in ME2 has some choice comments about "human scavengers"), but I did like that most humans and turians seemed to get on alright on the personal level. Personally, I attribute it to psychological and social similarities; turians are a little stiffer and more "for the collective" than humans (on average), but if you look at the typical mindsets, both tend to be more direct and results-oriented than the asari and salarians do, for instance.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of like that you were screwing over batarians in Arrival. Blowing up a planet of hideously ugly dickwads is still a pretty horrible thing to do, after all. If it was the planet of the beautiful pink kittens I kind of think that would come off as trying too hard, like the kid in ME3 Besides, I also think the batarians have a legit cool and interesting backstory and I think it's a shame this wasn't explored more in the games.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Zaeed would have made a good Batarian without really having to change anything other than his character model.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Zaeed would have made a good Batarian without really having to change anything other than his character model.

Space God knows we had enough humans already.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Blowing up that Batarian system could have had some interesting effects on ME3, like, if the Batarians just decide to go to war with humanity or something once they realise Shepard/the Alliance was reponsible. But they're just completely wiped out off-screen.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lycus posted:

I can't think of anything in particular that would've made a Batarian interesting in 2.

One path ME2 never went down was the idea that the galaxies best and brightest that you're sent to recruit might not necessarily be people you want on your team or people you want to do the bidding of for various reasons.

The way the ME2 roster played out, your entire team ends up being a group of pretty good people who you have no reason not to recruit and gain the loyalty of, outside of Zaeed being the lone unlikable scumbag whose loyalty mission involves a situation where Shepard could be forced to allow a villainous thing to happen to gain his allegiance and where "No, gently caress this, I'm not helping this guy" is a legitimate choice (until you do an end run around it with a reputation dialogue override after the fact anyway).

A Batarian, someone who could at least be slower to fall into line with Shepard and not be especially thrilled working for a human supremacy organization could have filled a niche. Much like how as great as Grunt was it probably would have been interesting if Okeer, a guy too extreme and fringe for the Krogan had survived and been recruitable.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I always liked the idea of Okeer and Mordin having to share lab space. I thought much of the ME2 squad from their dossiers are supposed to be undesirable types - criminals, vigilantes, mercenaries, assassins, scientists with questionable morals. Even Samara who represents justice operates under a debatable code of conduct (and you can even decide to go with her serial killer space vampire daughter instead). The fact that they all fall in with the program is supposed to be a testament to Shepard's leadership skills.

Milky Moor posted:

Blowing up that Batarian system could have had some interesting effects on ME3, like, if the Batarians just decide to go to war with humanity or something once they realise Shepard/the Alliance was reponsible. But they're just completely wiped out off-screen.

Yeah, I was just about to post that smoothing things over with the Batarians, who are really out for human blood now, would have provided a conflict for humanity to have to resolve during the crisis like every other species in the galaxy does before they can fully commit to the war. You could even still work the Balak cameo in there. As it stands the humans just sit back and demand that the aliens come defend Earth right now.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I understand what they were doing with the kid, that it wasn't specifically that kid, that it was just a representation of everything going on. But the problem is that it doesn't make you feel anything. Mordin, Legion, Thane, I felt something, I was sad to have lost them. But there's no emotional attachment to the kid. Maybe if it was Anderson you saw get blown up it'd work better.

In the Citadel DLC, who comes to bail you out at the space-car showroom if Wrex is dead? Grunt? What if he's dead too?

Striking Yak fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 3, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Striking Yak posted:

I understand what they were doing with the kid, that it wasn't specifically that kid, that it was just a representation of everything going on. But the problem is that it doesn't make you feel anything. Mordin, Legion, Thane, I felt something, I was sad to have lost them. But there's no emotional attachment to the kid. Maybe if it was Anderson you saw get blown up it'd work better.

In the Citadel DLC, who comes to bail you out at the space-car showroom if Wrex is dead? Grunt? What if he's dead too?

It's Vega, isn't it?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcUYSB9ZLs

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
drat it all, I've been trying to fix this crash for the past two days.

SSJ Reeko posted:

SOrry if this has been brought up, but I'm playing the Leviathan DLC on the PC and it always crashes at the same point. I get to the mining colony, fix and elevator with a drone, and as soon as I go to the next floor and the door opens the game crashes. I've hosed with drivers, graphics options, repairing installs for the main game and DLCs, changing squad members, everything I can think of. I'm reinstalling the whole game now and if that doesn't work then I'm boned.

The suggestion that it's some asset unable to be found seems to be right. I've flown around with noclip and found that whenever that area needs to load models, it crashes. I can fly around and go to the point where the datapad cutscnee starts, but can't interact due to it needing to load and thus crashing. I've reinstalled outside of program files and even played the save on another computer, and the crash exists there too. I'm worried this might be some inheriant problem with my save file and the only idea I have left is to try it on yet a different computer with Nvidea rather than AMD.

Could this be a corruption in my save file? If that's the case then I don't have the faintest idea where to start on fixing that. I sure as hell don't want to start 30 hours over, but I paid for this drat DLC and I can't play it! Any additonal ideas would be nice. I'd be willing to hack my way around this with teleports and level skips, though I have no idea what hell that will wreck with the scripting or story-line. I doubt it'll work if I come back later but at this point there aren't many options left. At this point it's looking like I just got screwed.

EDIT: I fixed it! There was some file missing or corrupted and I had to gently caress with some :filez: to get whatever Origin keeps forgetting to download. But hooray all is well. It's absurd that the service itself couldn't figure this mess out.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 3, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My roommate has been watching me play the series, and has decided that while she's not really a gamer, she wants to play the series.

The only downside is that I've been forbidden to give her advice or suggestions.

:suicide:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

MisterBibs posted:

My roommate has been watching me play the series, and has decided that while she's not really a gamer, she wants to play the series.

The only downside is that I've been forbidden to give her advice or suggestions.

That's how my roommate got into it. He plays lots of FIFA and occasionally Assassin's Creed, but something about debating space racism with Ashley caught his attention.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

We'll see how long that lasts the first time she has to make a moral choice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We'll see how long that lasts the first time she has to make a moral choice.

I'm more dreading her actions regarding Wrex, because she watched a Citadel cutscene with him (the "I'm having so much sex my junk is raw, and it turns out that's not fun" scene) , and she was a little bit :aaaaa: because Wrex's VA sounds like her late father. I expect tears and anger if she bungles saving him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I'm more dreading her actions regarding Wrex, because she watched a Citadel cutscene with him (the "I'm having so much sex my junk is raw, and it turns out that's not fun" scene) , and she was a little bit :aaaaa: because Wrex's VA sounds like her late father. I expect tears and anger if she bungles saving him.

Well, clearly you're going to have to manipulate her to romance Garrus as a FemShep so she can hear Mordin's advice to not swallow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't think they made the Batarian race unsympathetic, so much as their government. Many Batarian characters seemed perfectly fine as individuals- "ha ha ha kill all Batarians" sort of became a meme due to the fans, and not really anything in the game itself.

There's a couple of moments where this comes up - somebody (I forget who) mentions talking to some of the Batarian refugees and says that once they're clear of the Hegemony and feel safe to actually talk to other races, they seem just like every other race. There's also that one human refugee who keeps pestering the Batarian refugee with friendly chatter, and eventually they seem to become friends and both wish each other luck in getting through the whole mess with the Reapers.

Zaeed being a Batarian would have been pretty cool.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I had a slightly hard time believing that humans founded one of the most successful mercenary organizations in the galaxy when they were brand new on the galactic scene, so Zaeed being batarian would've probably worked better for me. I don't know if his voice would've been as cool, though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lycus posted:

I had a slightly hard time believing that humans founded one of the most successful mercenary organizations in the galaxy when they were brand new on the galactic scene, so Zaeed being batarian would've probably worked better for me. I don't know if his voice would've been as cool, though.

Most of the batarian males have really awesome deep voices, so I'd bet it'd turn out ok.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are some good mods?

I don't care about combat at this point, since I've beaten the game sans "fixed" ending dlc. I'm doing a new playthrough so I've seen the story at this point.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are some good mods?

I don't care about combat at this point, since I've beaten the game sans "fixed" ending dlc. I'm doing a new playthrough so I've seen the story at this point.

Well, traditionally there's not been much as far as the modding front goes. With that said, I did find this a bit ago: http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/ As it is the Nexus, peruse at one's own caution.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are some good mods?

There aren't any real mods, only re-textures and model replacements (and a hilariously terrible 'Happy Ending Mod'). Unreal 3 isn't very mod friendly unless the games are set up for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why can't they simply open up the files containing the textures and replace them/repack, instead of having to run an injector which for 3 is extremely convoluted.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want a Mass Effect game with ship combat that plays like Assassin' s Creed 4. Even make us play a space pirate.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"Hold 'O' to board".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSysCag2BIk&t=434s

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

I know I'd like Zaeed more if he was an old batarian instead of just another human. In fact, that's how I'll think of him from this point on.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
But Zaeed was the single best human character in the entire series :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lycus posted:

That'd be like the first thing we'd found. What else are we good at?

• Locked thread