Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I want to try a relatively cheap (rather not spend more than $30 on singles) Standard Dimir deck with milling as a feature, not necessarily the win condition, and here's what I've come up with so far: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dimir-mill-attempt-2-wip/

It'll be mostly played casual but I'd like to see if I can raise an eyebrow or two at FNM. My pre-playtest impression is that it's pretty creature-light and might need some ramp, so I fully expect to get dickstomped by Rakdos & mono-U/B devotion.

Ok I have a deck like this.

Creatures
3 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Balustrade Spy
3 Undercity Informer
2 Archaeomancer
2 Consuming Aberration

Spells
4 Tome Scour
3 Codex Shredder
4 Breaking//Entering
4 Pilfered Plans
3 Psychic Strike
2 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Psychic Spiral

Lands
10 Island
10 Swamp
4 Dimir Guildgate

My advice is to add a second win condition if you can. I have sideboarded 2 Dimir Guildmages to replace 1 Codex Shredder and 1 Jace, Memory Adept for those aggro decks. I also have 4 Hero's Downfall in my sideboard for those types of decks too. Not having creatures in your design will be a large downfall...I learned that after like 20 losses. Now, since I've made these few changes I have been a lot more successful. Nothing like beating a guy that sank $400 into a Standard Deck by milling away all those precious cards he spent so much on. Also, keep in mind that since you aren't creature heavy in my design or yours that if you use Jace you will get to put him down for AT MOST two turns since you have no real defense for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
Crypt incursion is a pretty good cheap card to have in the side board against aggro. I was playing around with it last season in an esper deck gaining 3 life per creature in a grave yard at instant speed can help keep you alive

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Filth posted:

Crypt incursion is a pretty good cheap card to have in the side board against aggro. I was playing around with it last season in an esper deck gaining 3 life per creature in a grave yard at instant speed can help keep you alive

Hmm that is a pretty good card. The only problem I see is destroying their creatures may hurt your Wight. I am still going to sideboard a couple of them.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Wouldn't Nighthowler be a pretty good inclusion into these decks, maybe in the sideboard depending on local meta? It seems like it could be a really efficient card depending on the content of your opponent's deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Wouldn't Nighthowler be a pretty good inclusion into these decks, maybe in the sideboard depending on local meta? It seems like it could be a really efficient card depending on the content of your opponent's deck.

Yes and no. It is a nice card, but which of the creatures that I have already do you get rid of? The deck isn't necessarily about attacking if you don't have to. If I were to focus more on damaging an opponent then yes I would do that card, but as a mill deck where I aim to win by either milling or pulling that ONE card to make me win (Consuming Aberration) I don't think I necessarily will need another creature like that. Although doubling Consuming Aberration's P/T by enchanting it with Nighthowler makes me chuckle.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Night Danger Moose posted:

Getting rid of the MURDER king kinda makes it not a MURDER[blank] deck anymore.

If he doesn't make the transition, he'll be with us in spirit. There's a little MURDER in all of us. :911:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
While I didn't make it in time for FNM, I finally got my last three copies Molten Birth so I now have a fully-built MURDERGOATS deck! :toot:

And now it's time to dismantle it- are any of you MURDER crew running Mutavault? I currently have two in my deck, but unless it's in my opening hand and I have a clear path to swing for a turn or two early, I would rather draw any other land. I was thinking of dropping those two and my two Guildgates for a playset of RB scrylands once they're out, and because Mutavaults are $35 a pop which seems as high as they'll ever go. But they wouldn't be so high-cost if people weren't playing them, so what am I missing in my own analysis? I get that it's tough to remove as a land (short of instant-speed removal or combat damage), and that in corner cases it's another thing to sac to Tymaret, but I'd rather have the colored mana available for casting other cards.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 4, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I run one Mutavault, and was going to pick up a second before the price got completely crazy. What does your decklist actually look like? In most builds I've seen, the colour commitments are really light (virtually all your spells and abilities cost at least 1C, not C or CC or anything like that), so I honestly can't see it hurting your mana the way you're claiming.

The scrylands are an obvious choice to include post BotG, but I'd honestly use them as an excuse to fit more Mutavaults in without compromising your manabase.

You seem to be missing the fact that it attacks (or blocks) for two, and it does that essentially for free since it doesn't occupy one of your spell slots.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

I run one Mutavault, and was going to pick up a second before the price got completely crazy. What does your decklist actually look like? In most builds I've seen, the colour commitments are really light (virtually all your spells and abilities cost at least 1C, not C or CC or anything like that), so I honestly can't see it hurting your mana the way you're claiming.

The scrylands are an obvious choice to include post BotG, but I'd honestly use them as an excuse to fit more Mutavaults in without compromising your manabase.

You seem to be missing the fact that it attacks (or blocks) for two, and it does that essentially for free since it doesn't occupy one of your spell slots.

Yeah I guess I should have posted that first (might go to 3 Purph/3 Horse but that's besides the point)-
Deck: MURDERGOATS

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
11 Mountain
2 Mutavault
2 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Swamp

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
4 Lightning Strike
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
2 Akroan Horse
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Pithing Needle
2 Thoughtseize
3 Rakdos Charm
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Ultimate Price
3 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

I get that it can be a 2/2, but I'm usually not attacking with this deck unless things are wide-open, though that may be personal preference. I'm also not thrilled with losing a land in combat and paying mana to do so, unless I'm already in bad shape. I feel like I'd be more likely to throw it with Tymaret as a sneak play to get those last few points of damage, rather than swinging with it. I might just be overly conservative when it comes to playing Magic though, the thought's crossed my mind more than once.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm always happy to trade off a land for a relevant card of my opponent's, once we're past the early game and I have enough mana anyway. You can hold it up to threaten a block (effectively preventing damage), or if they have nothing that just eats it you can sneak it in for free damage if they're not willing to trade. Even if they have a combat trick, trading a land for a combat trick is still completely in your favour. Lands suck, you don't want to draw them late, and trading a land for anything of your opponent's that's more relevant than a land is almost always worth it.

Also it's really good against control decks and Supreme Verdict.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Plus it's a goat (along with each other creature type) and thus very flavourful.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Had a really bad game against Eggs in Modern with my Affinity deck earlier. He combo'd off t4 both games and I couldn't seem to kill him fast enough without a Christmasland Godhand. I knew he was playing it and would have switched some Ethersworn Canonists into my sideboard, but I'm home for the holidays and my Canonists are in a binder back at university. Would they do much for me given he had some Pyrite and Aether Spellbombs? One important thing I noticed was that if he casts Open the Vaults I get my artifacts back as well, so if I get a Ravager out I can feed him in response and get them all back so I have something massive if he runs out of steam.

Other than that I only had Spellskite, who he can get around with Spellbombs and recursion. I had a couple of Wear/Tear as well but I don't know if I could do anything useful there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a dozen swans posted:

Plus it's a goat (along with each other creature type) and thus very flavourful.

Finally, logic I can understand :v: You've convinced me Jabor, thanks.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Just went 3-1 at FNM, felt quite good. Beat a BUG midrange deck (Reaper etc.), lost to GW aggro/pump, beat a UB agent of the fates deck (homebrew, cool concept, but, too many goats/elementals for that to be good), and then beat Turbo Fog/Maze's End.
I made some last minute changes to my deck. I've been in the control camp, and here's what it looks like right now:

Murdergoats

Some reasoning behind my changes. First, we have a lot of aggro, and I've found Anger of the gods in the board is absolutely necessary, especially when you're facing down t2 VoR, t3 VoR. GW is really hard for this deck, and even sometimes they just rootborn defenses out of it. I still am not sure how to beat that deck. Second, Chandra's Phoenix was incredible. I think I might replace 1-2 mortars with lightning just to increase recursion, and I want a fourth shock and a fourth phoenix in there, although I don't know what to cut. I also want another mutavault in there, probably as a 24th land.
I cut one Pyromancer from main because of the aggro matchup. I take him out for anger, and put him in against midrange and control matchups. Against control, I go into burn as fast as possible mode (plus hand disruption), and against midrange I just grind out with elemental tokens. I'm not sure this is the right strategy against control...thoughts?

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 4, 2014

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
There has been some mill deck discussion going on so I want to post my current mill deck. It consistently kicks tons of rear end and is different from the last time I posted it here.

Deck: Dimir Mill

Also I had a friend visit and showed him my Murdergoats deck (I used a post deck with keyrunes). He liked the deck but then we started making changes together. Here is the end result which is WAY faster then my old version and has the added benefit of consistently activating Purp's devotion which is sweet. I want to grab a fourth Purp to replace my fourth murder king as my version of the deck leans a lot heavier on Purp. I have seen molten birth do 8 damage to the opponent and create 3 tokens :swoon:, oh yeah I am calling it Murder the Elements now.

Deck: MURDEReLeMeNT

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
12 Mountain
7 Swamp

//Spells
4 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Lightning Strike
1 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games
4 Molten Birth

//Creatures
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Chandra's Phoenix

//Sideboard
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Pack Rat
2 Mindsparker

Display deck statistics

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Malgrin posted:

Just went 3-1 at FNM, felt quite good. Beat a BUG midrange deck (Reaper etc.), lost to GW aggro/pump, beat a UB agent of the fates deck (homebrew, cool concept, but, too many goats/elementals for that to be good), and then beat Turbo Fog/Maze's End.
I made some last minute changes to my deck. I've been in the control camp, and here's what it looks like right now:

Murdergoats

Some reasoning behind my changes. First, we have a lot of aggro, and I've found Anger of the gods in the board is absolutely necessary, especially when you're facing down t2 VoR, t3 VoR. GW is really hard for this deck, and even sometimes they just rootborn defenses out of it. I still am not sure how to beat that deck. Second, Chandra's Phoenix was incredible. I think I might replace 1-2 mortars with lightning just to increase recursion, and I want a fourth shock and a fourth phoenix in there, although I don't know what to cut. I also want another mutavault in there, probably as a 24th land.
I cut one Pyromancer from main because of the aggro matchup. I take him out for anger, and put him in against midrange and control matchups. Against control, I go into burn as fast as possible mode (plus hand disruption), and against midrange I just grind out with elemental tokens. I'm not sure this is the right strategy against control...thoughts?

You just beat me to posting Chandra's Phoenix in this deck which I absolutely love. I checked out your list and right off the bat I would exchange those shocks for 4 lightning strikes and side board your pithing needle. Now with that I use the deck as more of a burn deck which is why I traded in my trading posts with guttersnipe and molten birth. My only problem is I have little room for removal but the dreadbore's and mortars are enough.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Had a really bad night with MURDERGOATS for the second night in a row. :smith: FNM went as such:

1) Round 1 was against Selesnya Aggro; game one involved me not drawing a Purphoros for 20+ turns while I grounded out with chump blocking before I was eventually overcome. Games 2 and 3 involved me using removal to clear the board and getting the Horse/Purph lock in. 1-0

2) Round 2 was also against Selesnya Aggro, though this was less-token based and more about exploiting Heroic with creatures like Fabled Hero and Fieldslayer Paladin gently caress Fiendslayer Paladin[/url]. I went 2-1 ultimately, my one win coming off of her getting mana-screwed while I piled on with Young Pyromancer + tokens, while her nut hands were too much to overcome [spoiler]Did I mention 'gently caress Fiendslayer Paladin'? Because I want to add Gods Willing/Brave the Elements to that list. At one point I had a hand full of Molten Births that might have given me time to draw some removal, but the deck only gave me swamps and a single Blood Crypt.

3) Round 3 was against an American Control deck, and it was probably my favorite match of the night, though not without a horrendous loss that I could have avoided. Game one involved getting the Horse+Purph lock out and killing him at the last second despite him pulling out FOUR(!) Detention Spheres (he seriously drew 3+ Spheres every game).

Game two I was simply overrun - him having two Sphinx's Revelation didn't help, but I could have actually won: I was at 11 life when he attacked for 18 (Heliod + 4 tokens with Heliod's Spear out) and I had a Soldier token and Trading Post out with another copy in my hand, and Purphoros out with my opponent at 6 life. What I did was make a goat token, block a Heliod Token and the god himself with the goat and soldier, and took nine damage and leaving myself at 1, leaving myself unable to make enough tokens to reduce his life to 0. What I should have done was use Trading Post to discard a copy of Tymaret in my hand and gain four life, leaving myself at 15. I would still block Heliod with the soldier and be left with 3 life. During my turn, I could play the second Post and create two tokens and end my turn. Another soldier would have been created, dealing the final damage and beating my opponent and winning 2-0 with only a single point of life remaining. Instead, game 3 ended like a wet fart. I'll be kicking myself about that outcome all week.

4) Added insult to injury from how losing the third round went, I ended up paired with a friend at 1-2 who was running Boros Aggro. I'll give you an idea how it turned out: Turn 1 he'd play Soldier of the Pantheon. Turn 2 he'd attach Madcap Skills and swing for five. Turn 3, he'd drop Fiendslayer Paladin while I stare at my hand of Dreadbores and contemplate downing a bucket of bleach. :suicide:

At 1-3, I ended up dropping and playing some EDH and having way more fun. I gained some valuable experience, especially in remembering the different modes of Trading Post after that Round 3 matchup, but I've never had such a bad experience and luck playing the deck. It might be worth replacing the Beckon Apparition with Shock or something for more general removal, but X/White Aggro Decks are driving me up a wall between Fiendslayer Paladin and Ajani. Another is the fact that I haven't really run into any heavy-Black decks, so maybe Dark Betrayal needs to be removed in favor of more removal or even something like Ratchet Bomb.

I just want to reiterate how bad of a night it was. I've never been treated so bad by my MURDERGOATS before. :smith: I'm halfway considering the transition to R/W just to find a way to deal with enchantments.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Shock is definitely worth running - you want to be able to drop 2 spells on turn 3 if you're up against aggro decks, and Young Pyro + kill a dude + get a token is way better than YP + 2 tokens. Rakdos Charm out of the board is all the graveyard hate you need anyway considering how nonexistent decks that use the 'yard are in this meta.

I've shoved 2xElectrickery in the side after some bad WW beats one week, and it does serious work in that matchup. It's largely underwhelming against everything else though, so I'm not entirely sure - it would be really nice to have something that answers WW, that also works in other matchups. Perhaps that's where Anger of the Gods could be useful? I'm still not sold on wiping my own board though... (edit: I'm seriously considering trialling Street Spasm. 4-mana Electrickery, 6 mana takes out Fiendslayer like an overloaded Mortars, kills Blood Baron and Ghost Council if you can afford the mana?)

Fiendslayer is really annoying, but if you land Tymaret or Gnawing Zombie you can chump him all day and they won't gain any life off it. Not much you can do to kill it besides overloading Mortars though.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 4, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

Shock is definitely worth running - you want to be able to drop 2 spells on turn 3 if you're up against aggro decks, and Young Pyro + kill a dude + get a token is way better than YP + 2 tokens. Rakdos Charm out of the board is all the graveyard hate you need anyway considering how nonexistent decks that use the 'yard are in this meta.

I'm considering it, if nothing else.

quote:

I've shoved 2xElectrickery in the side after some bad WW beats one week, and it does serious work in that matchup. It's largely underwhelming against everything else though, so I'm not entirely sure - it would be really nice to have something that answers WW, that also works in other matchups. Perhaps that's where Anger of the Gods could be useful? I'm still not sold on wiping my own board though...

Electrickery is going in the moment Mono-U Aggro becomes a thing where I play, but I'd rather have Mizzium Mortars instead.

quote:

Fiendslayer is really annoying, but if you land Tymaret or Gnawing Zombie you can chump him all day and they won't gain any life off it. Not much you can do to kill it besides overloading Mortars though.

The only problem was:

-Almost every game in Round 2 and 4 involved my opponents simply having more copies of Gods Willing/Brave the Elements than I had removal, and combined with lack of relevant removal (like Dreadbore vs Soldier of the Pantheon) was a recipe for disaster

-Against Selesnya Aggro, Unflinching Courage meant that the blocking trick would end with me taking damage anyways. Against Boros, Madcap Skills meant having to expend two tokens to block, and just having no chance.

I'm seriously just sick of running into that loving Paladin, I may just start running Devour Flesh.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mindisgone posted:

You just beat me to posting Chandra's Phoenix in this deck which I absolutely love. I checked out your list and right off the bat I would exchange those shocks for 4 lightning strikes and side board your pithing needle. Now with that I use the deck as more of a burn deck which is why I traded in my trading posts with guttersnipe and molten birth. My only problem is I have little room for removal but the dreadbore's and mortars are enough.

I think the Shocks are so much better than Lightning Strike. I've tested both, and the ability to deal 2 for one red is just so powerful. I've picked up a lot of wins off end step shock, cast chandra's for the win (that's 6 damage for 4 mana with a purph, and another 2 if you have tymaret off for end step sac).

Edit: I just realized that Anger is a beautiful solution to fiendslayer.
Also, the games I board in Anger, I board out Pyro. It sucks to lose a Tymaret, but it sucks to lose the game more. I also bring in Horse, and aim to grind out with that, Purph, and Trading post. With 8 board wipes, it's usually pretty good.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 4, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Ratchet Bomb, seriously. It's great against all sorts of problem creatures, Fiendslayer Paladin especially.

I have gone through and used Slaughter Games naming Paladin probably three or four times, though. I loving hate that card.

Other things I've toyed with for FP: Hammer of Purphoros (the 3/3 token can block the Paladin and kill it if it isn't buffed); Gift of Orzhova on Tymaret; endless saccing of blockers; puppy-dog eyes across the table.

I'd almost been debating using Anger of the Gods, I think I'll try out Jabor's suggestion of Street Spasm and see if it's any good. It's expensive but definitely very versatile, and I find that my games tend to run longer anyways.

I've also gone to four posts and two horses in my build, because I did some more testing and realized I'd dismissed the Horse too much, especially when Post can recur it from the graveyard if it gets killed/countered.

Can't wait for the rakdos scryland and other BOTG goodies. If we don't get a way to remove enchantments I swear I'm going Jund.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

I'd almost been debating using Anger of the Gods, I think I'll try out Jabor's suggestion of Street Spasm and see if it's any good. It's expensive but definitely very versatile, and I find that my games tend to run longer anyways.

Can't wait for the rakdos scryland and other BOTG goodies. If we don't get a way to remove enchantments I swear I'm going Jund.

I'm super excited to see what's coming from BOTG.
Isn't Street Spasm a worse Mizzium Mortars? I mean, at 4 mana, it deals 1 damage to non-flying creatures, at 6, it does 2. At non-overload, at 2 it does 1 damage to MM's 4. With a heavy red build, the triple red isn't so bad. The only advantage is against decks with tons of x/1s, but if that's your concern, there's Electrickery. I guess instant speed puts it above MM.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Malgrin posted:

The only advantage is against decks with tons of x/1s, but if that's your concern, there's Electrickery.

The idea isn't to replace Mizzium Mortars, it's to replace Electrickery with something that's still a worse Mortars in a pinch against things with more than 1 toughness.

It might not work out, but that's the point of testing. I'll be grabbing a couple and giving it a spin next week - if anyone finds time to try it out earlier than that and can weigh in, that'd be helpful.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 3-0 and then had to drop at an FNM for an emergency. Maze's End was a lot of fun to pilot. :3:
Deck: Amazing End

//Lands
2 Azorius Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
2 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
4 Maze's End
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate

//Spells
2 Crackling Perimeter
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Druid's Deliverance
4 Fog
4 Riot Control
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Ętherize
3 Slaughter Games

//Creatures
3 Gatecreeper Vine
4 Saruli Gatekeepers

//Sideboard
2 Selesnya Charm
1 Crackling Perimeter
4 Gainsay
1 Slaughter Games
3 Detention Sphere
1 Assemble the Legion
3 Defend the Hearth

Display deck statistics

Round 1: Against a mono-black player. She was a bit new but mono-black is my worst match-up. She was running heavy discard too.

Game 1 I slaughter games'd Disciple of Phenax. She then Duress'd my Sphinx's Rev and landed two Garys in a row. I was at 2 life when I activated Maze's End for the win. Game 2 I named Slaughter Games'd Gary, because gently caress that card. Almost died to Xathrid Necromancer and her humans when I supreme verdict. Activated Maz'es End at 8 life.

Round 2: A youngish kid running a 75 card Jund Deck. I didn't feel very good about the games since they were one sided. 2-0 for me. :smith: I did help him to cut some cards though.

Round 3: Played against a U/W Control. I don't have this archtype made so I couldn't test against it before now. The games were really straightforward. Game 1: Played lands and fogged/Rioted Haunted Platemails and Mutavaults. He countered a lot of my cards like Sphinx's Rev and Aetherize but never did it for Fogs. I won at 8 life with Maze's End activation.

Game 2 was play a land and pass until turn 6 when he played Aetherling. I cyclonic rift'd it back to his hand. Won via Maze's end on turn 10.

I really, really enjoy playing it against control. Its fun to know that beyond Pithing Needle they don't have a big way to interact with my land wins. The deck is a joy and a little nail biting to play against aggro.

edit: round 3 was U/W not B/U.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm a little surprised and impressed by that build. I hadn't seen one that ran Selesnya Charm in the main before. Also surprised a little by the forests in your maindeck. Usually, when I tested 26 lands in my build, I always got flooded.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Why has fiendslayer become such a problem for the murder deck? At first glance if I saw that during play I am thinking chump block with a token and sac before damage to screw him out of lifelink. Add benefit of my murder build is I can consistently depend on activating Purp's devotion so gently caress your first strike paladin the god will crush you. I will also mention again I have noticed a sizable increase in speed with this deck, so much so that if you just let the paladin through every turn I do not think the extra 2 life per turn would help my opponent much.

As far as Shock vs Lightning Strike I think its semantics. The deck itself on the top runs only a handful of 4 drops so I always find myself with plenty of mana, why not squeeze in an extra point of damage?

:siren:Chandra's Phoenix kicks rear end in the murder deck:siren:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

kizudarake posted:

I'm a little surprised and impressed by that build. I hadn't seen one that ran Selesnya Charm in the main before. Also surprised a little by the forests in your maindeck. Usually, when I tested 26 lands in my build, I always got flooded.

Forest are there for when I need to fog for that turn. They're generally in my hand until I need that green for the turn. Or if I want a Slaughter Games off turn 4 against a black deck.

Selesnya Charm is for all the Gods when they come online and Obzedat, since I have no way to deal with him. Its also been used to pump a Gatekeeper and trade with a Boros Reckoner and chump block smaller dudes in aggro.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Deckit posted:

Went 3-0 and then had to drop at an FNM for an emergency. Maze's End was a lot of fun to pilot. :3:
Deck: Amazing End

As someone mega-late to the Maze's End train but loving the hell out of it, I love seeing this report, thanks :) . How do you deal with a Pithing Needle naming Maze's End? Wait until you have 9 then Cyclonic Rift (which seems incredibly vulnerable to counters) or just lean hard on the Crackling Perimeters and hope it sticks?

Also I'm poor and can't afford Sphinx's Revelation, so I've been trying out alt-draw spells. Right now I've got Divination/Urban Evolution, though I'd like to try out Opportunity in place of the latter. How big of a deal is the instant speed draw? I figure neither of those cards really does what Sphinx's does though, so maybe it's irrelevant.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Soothing Cacophony posted:

As someone mega-late to the Maze's End train but loving the hell out of it, I love seeing this report, thanks :) . How do you deal with a Pithing Needle naming Maze's End? Wait until you have 9 then Cyclonic Rift (which seems incredibly vulnerable to counters) or just lean hard on the Crackling Perimeters and hope it sticks?

Also I'm poor and can't afford Sphinx's Revelation, so I've been trying out alt-draw spells. Right now I've got Divination/Urban Evolution, though I'd like to try out Opportunity in place of the latter. How big of a deal is the instant speed draw? I figure neither of those cards really does what Sphinx's does though, so maybe it's irrelevant.

Hello! If they Pithing Needle your Maze's End, you rely more on Crackling Perimeter and Assemble the Legion. Typically only control and mid-range decks are going to do that and if its game two, you can choose to sideboard in Detention Sphere to hit their Pithing Needle. Bonus points if you get two because they hit Maze's End and Crackling Perimeter. :unsmigghh:

Cyclonic Rift is also 7 to overload; typically against midrange and anything I've been fogging for three-four turns. You can absolutely bounce a Pithing needle at the end of their turn. If they want to counter something they can recast for 1, one less counter spell for you to worry about. :3:

I've seen other versions run Urban Evolution instead of Sphinx's Rev. Its a trade off between the two; ramping and getting more guild gates out and more cards in hand vs lasting long and getting cards. Urban is better vs Black Decks and Sphinx is worse because if they have an Erebos I haven't dealt with, the card draw better have something I can use.

I'd stick with 3 Urbans and 1 Opportunity if you can get the Sphinx's.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Mindisgone posted:

Why has fiendslayer become such a problem for the murder deck? At first glance if I saw that during play I am thinking chump block with a token and sac before damage to screw him out of lifelink. Add benefit of my murder build is I can consistently depend on activating Purp's devotion so gently caress your first strike paladin the god will crush you. I will also mention again I have noticed a sizable increase in speed with this deck, so much so that if you just let the paladin through every turn I do not think the extra 2 life per turn would help my opponent much.

As far as Shock vs Lightning Strike I think its semantics. The deck itself on the top runs only a handful of 4 drops so I always find myself with plenty of mana, why not squeeze in an extra point of damage?

:siren:Chandra's Phoenix kicks rear end in the murder deck:siren:

It's a 2/2 first-strike lifelink quasi-hexproof for three, which means it can come out before I've begun to stabilize. Since, short of Gnawing Zombie, I don't really have things that can block it safely, it does a whole lot to make it harder to grind the opponent down with advantage. That said, I think you and I are playing very different decks, by the sound of it.

How are you activating Purphoros - Chandra's Phoenix, or other stuff as well?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Fiendslayer is also a monster in decks that make use of Auras like Madcap Skills and Unflinching Courage. Trample is a huge problem for the deck, especially when it's on a creature that can't be targeted by red/black removal spells. First Strike is also a big problem because if you want to successfully chump-block a suped-up Paladin you have to invest a lot of tokens into it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm looking for a new deck to pilot. Move been playing golgari midrange (a different step from golgari aggro) and it's just not doing it for me anymore.

Yesterday I went 3-1 (losing to American control)

And 3-2 (losing to white weenie splash black, and boros devotion)

When I go t1 thought seize, t2 caryatid, t3 reaper/desecration demon/polukranos, t5 vraska. The deck is great, but I still feel creature light :/ Maybe I should shelf the deck until born of the

The deck feels like it's so close to being excellent, but sometimes I just draw like poo poo, and sometimes I just mulligan tragically.

Other standard decks I have built:

- mono-r
- mono-u
- rakdos super aggro
- selesnyaggro
- murdergoats

I can make orzhov midrange, white weenie, or mono-b. and I can definitely make nigthowler combo/aggro.

Long story short, I'm great at playing aggro, good at playing midrange, and decent at playing control, but it have no urge to play azorius, or esper.

So thread, give me some suggestions for decks to pilot, or decks that are fun and semi rogue-ey. It doesn't have to be T1, but I have a decent budget and I don't mind spending a dollar or two.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mezzanon posted:

So thread, give me some suggestions for decks to pilot, or decks that are fun and semi rogue-ey. It doesn't have to be T1, but I have a decent budget and I don't mind spending a dollar or two.

How do you feel about that weird Possibility Storm/Boborygymos deck that was posted awhile back?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bhsman posted:

How do you feel about that weird Possibility Storm/Boborygymos deck that was posted awhile back?

I can get behind it. Can you link me to the list??

Also I have two gpt's coming up next week. And I'm trying to decide what I should pilot at those, I think rakdos might be a good meta call, since I'm expecting a lot of azorius/esper

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mezzanon posted:

I can get behind it. Can you link me to the list??

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&pagenumber=291&perpage=40#post423182397

Aside from the manabase, everything else looks really cheap to make.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Deckit posted:

Hello! If they Pithing Needle your Maze's End, you rely more on Crackling Perimeter and Assemble the Legion. Typically only control and mid-range decks are going to do that and if its game two, you can choose to sideboard in Detention Sphere to hit their Pithing Needle. Bonus points if you get two because they hit Maze's End and Crackling Perimeter. :unsmigghh:

The Maze's End I run (removal-heavy) has Putrefy mainboard partly for that reason.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Wear // Tear does the trick pretty well, is 1 mana, and lets you hit an enchantment instead if you need it.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I'm looking for a new deck to pilot.
Long story short, I'm great at playing aggro, good at playing midrange, and decent at playing control, but it have no urge to play azorius, or esper.

That dimir aggro list from tcgplayer looked pretty neat, and might have better reach than rakdos aggro. 4x Rapid Hybridization mainboard and Duskmantle Seer instead of Exava. Here's the link.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

a dozen swans posted:

How are you activating Purphoros - Chandra's Phoenix, or other stuff as well?

Purp = 1
YP = 1
Guttersnipe = 1
phoenix for the last 2

There are so many different priorities for the opponent to remove setting up is pretty easy. Plus there are plenty of ways to win without even fully setting up. Flying, devotion, loves to be murdered, haste, the phoenix should have been in since the beginning. Having guttersnipe is so sweet in this deck to because no matter what you are doing you are burning for 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

That dimir aggro list from tcgplayer looked pretty neat, and might have better reach than rakdos aggro. 4x Rapid Hybridization mainboard and Duskmantle Seer instead of Exava. Here's the link.

Losing madcap skills seems like it hurts a lot, but it still seems pretty fun, and I do like dimir

Seems really fun, and I have lands in spades.

I'll build these two decks and golgari nighthowler, and test all three. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Locked thread