Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't know the source.

So Wolverine and his enhanced senses couldn't smell him because a tree was in the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jerusalem posted:

So Wolverine and his enhanced senses couldn't smell him because a tree was in the way?

I'd imagine you can't smell things that you're approaching at 90mph with a helmet on very well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The one true origin for animated Cobra Commander should be that he was the bad guy from Big Foot and the Muscle Machines, and that he created COBRA to defeat Yank Justice. That keeps intact the all important Used Car Salesman angle.
:colbert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot_and_the_Muscle_Machines

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Suleman posted:

Yes. Cobra started out as essentially a pyramid scheme.

COBRA is Amway with guns.

Seriously.

And, yes, Cobra Commander was - in the comics, anyways - originally a used car salesman; his older brother served repeated tours in Vietnam in order to keep him from being drafted (one draftee per family at a time, that was the policy). His brother, Dan, came home with what we would today call PTSD and took to driving recklessly and ended up killing the family of the man who would later become Snake Eyes because G.I. Joe Continuity is loving convoluted.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

wdarkk posted:

I'd imagine you can't smell things that you're approaching at 90mph with a helmet on very well.

Logan wasn't wearing a helmet. Cause it's Logan, why does he need to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

John Dyne posted:

Logan wasn't wearing a helmet. Cause it's Logan, why does he need to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle?

To set a proper example for his students?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jerusalem posted:

Sabertooth knows how to stay downwind of prey.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

And that's before we even get into the ninjas and things get very complicated.

It also bears noting early on in the comics that Cobra had a heavy message on how the US Government had betrayed its ideals, how it took from the common man with taxes, idealized small-town America, allied with seccessionists, and spoke in favor of unfettered capitalism... this may sound familiar. :ssh:

Which makes a lot of sense once you realized Cobra Commander's creator based his comic book rhetoric on William F. Buckley's punditeering.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

John Dyne posted:

I've noticed that most characters seen riding motorcycles in Marvel go helmetless - I guess as mutants/superheroes/whatever, they are invulnerable/have a healing factor/are too awesome to have accidents/etc., are ignored by the cops/gonna ditch the cops anyway, and god forbid you can't easily identify them unless plot device.

So, Logan, Cap/Bucky, even loving Dazzler (New Excalibur or whatever - right around the same time she died two or three times) are all tooling around bareheaded. (I seem to recall the Punisher wore a helmet, but that was more "Hey I can wear another skull" than "brains better on the inside".)

<insert Nick Fury surfing that bike into S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ bareheaded and shirtless here>

The only DC rider I can recall offhand, other than truly ancient 1970s/80s Batman cartoons, is Lobo, so...

(Those with fiery skulls and EPA-nightmare Hellbikes probably have special dispensation and protection.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, Logan, Cap/Bucky, even loving Dazzler (New Excalibur or whatever - right around the same time she died two or three times) are all tooling around bareheaded. (I seem to recall the Punisher wore a helmet, but that was more "Hey I can wear another skull" than "brains better on the inside".)

Cap is a responsible motorcycle rider. :colbert:

(Captain America #318)

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 3, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Cap is a responsible motorcycle rider. :colbert:

Cap also fakes being sick so he can steal your car

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In the visual medium of comics, putting a non-distinctive helmet on a character is potentially puzzling for readers. It also keeps characters from being able to show expressions or reactions.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The best part about that Sabretooth strip is that he jetpacks away. Why does he have a jetpack?

I wish the canon reason for Cobra Commander's facemask is to protect his 'stache.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The G.I.Joe comic continuity and cartoon continuity are completely separate. Cobra Commander in the comics is notably different from the cartoon version, mainly in not being a reptoid, but also in generally being more competent and ruthless. He's still a cowardly weasel, but he isn't necessarily voiced by Christopher Collins.

According to the writer Larry Hama, the comics Cobra Commander should sound like Orson Welles.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Suleman posted:

According to the writer Larry Hama, the comics Cobra Commander should sound like Orson Welles.
So does comic Cobra Commander do a commercial but go completely on a propaganda spieloff-book?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Dyne posted:

Bugs in the eye are still annoying, and motorcycles don't regenerate.

But even with a helmet, smells are a lot more vibrant on a bike than in a car.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suleman posted:

"So, what we gonna do tomorrow night, CC?"
"The same thing we do every night, Destro. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Metal Loaf posted:

"So, what we gonna do tomorrow night, CC?"
"The same thing we do every night, Destro. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

They're Destro and the Snake!
One is a Scotsman,
The other is a fake!
To foil all the Joes,
Their plot they'll not expose,
'Til tomorrow,
They're Destro and the Snake-Snake-Snake.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ManiacClown posted:

One is a Scotsman,
The other is a fake!
To foil all the Joes,
Their plot they'll not expose,
'Til tomorrow,
They're Destro and the Snake-Snake-Snake.

Super team extraordinaire - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!
All the dudes with jaws so square - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

Rescues Washington D.C. - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!
Always saving the land of the free - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

They're pretty easygoing!
Half the battle is knowing!
So raise your fist and give a YO!
G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

(I should have gone with Animaniacs, I might have finished that one. Three verses is all you're getting.)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jerusalem posted:

Man, have you smelled jetpack fuel lately? That poo poo overpowers everything.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm more amused by that Wolverine/Sabertooth page because out out context it appears that Sabertooth just decided to gently caress with Logan in the most horrifying way possible, and then jetpack off giggling about it.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Require More Fire posted:

I'm more amused by that Wolverine/Sabertooth page because out out context it appears that Sabertooth just decided to gently caress with Logan in the most horrifying way possible, and then jetpack off giggling about it.

I refuse to accept that it happened any other way. :colbert:

smashpro1 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 4, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't know the source.

It's Wolverine #300.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, yeah that scene is hilarious and awful at the same time. Ugh, those wires are in so deep, how the gently caress is he going to get them out? Oh wait, I think I figured it out.

slice all of them from one side then move sideways. :gonk:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, yeah that scene is hilarious and awful at the same time. Ugh, those wires are in so deep, how the gently caress is he going to get them out? Oh wait, I think I figured it out.

slice all of them from one side then move sideways. :gonk:

Gah, why would you say this? I can feel them argh noooooo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sabertooth is alive again? He was beheaded by a magic sword, sent to hell and beheaded again in hell by another magic sword.
What was the excuse for his resurrection this time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Magic glue.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
"Yo Satan lemme back out, I gotta deliver a sicknasty burn to this dude I hate."

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Angry Walrus posted:

"Yo Satan lemme back out, I gotta deliver a sicknasty burn to this dude I hate."

I will absolutely never, ever know what's really going on in that page. I'm going to know that these are the entire context around that page, and my life will forever be just that slightly richer for it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Say Nothing posted:

Sabertooth is alive again? He was beheaded by a magic sword, sent to hell and beheaded again in hell by another magic sword.
What was the excuse for his resurrection this time?

Cloning, apparently. What really makes this jarring is that said second magic sword was supposedly to destroy souls, so Victor Creed should Clearly Most Sincerely Dead. I guess if you clone someone, you not only create a new soul, but keep all the clonee's memories? Comic books! If you're a main nemesis, it doesn't matter how hard one set of writers try to get rid of you, the next person who wants to use you will bring you back, by hook or by crook.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If getting your head cut off on earth gets you sent to hell, maybe getting your head cut off in hell gets you sent to earth? :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

If getting your head cut off on earth gets you sent to hell, maybe getting your head cut off in hell gets you sent to earth? :shrug:

That is how it works in Achewood.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Might have been Wolverine's birthday, because that's basically what Sabretooth gives him as a birthday present.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jerusalem posted:

Well where was he going to go, Detroit?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

So...Sabretooth is Wile E. Coyote now?

Not applicable, as he actually caught his "Roadrunner" in this panel. If anything, the last panel's missing Creed putting on "deal with it" glasses.

Jerusalem posted:

1. Bikes put out their own smell.
2. Sabretooth would know to stay upwind of Logan.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Seriously.

And, yes, Cobra Commander was - in the comics, anyways - originally a used car salesman; his older brother served repeated tours in Vietnam in order to keep him from being drafted (one draftee per family at a time, that was the policy). His brother, Dan, came home with what we would today call PTSD and took to driving recklessly and ended up killing the family of the man who would later become Snake Eyes because G.I. Joe Continuity is loving convoluted.

So in other words, if they'd kept with this, in the movies Cobra would be the 99 Percent mixed with anti-war groups and G.I.Joe would be pawns of the Military-Industrial Complex loving and bombing their way around the world like Team America: World Police.

"We are the ninety-nine perssssssssssssent!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 4, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My only problem with that scene is that there should probably be some sort of visible tears in his clothing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

From G.I.Joe #32. Not a whole lot less creepy with context.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's hard to imagine a context where that would not be creepy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ignite Memories posted:

My only problem with that scene is that there should probably be some sort of visible tears in his clothing.

Unstable Molecules Jeans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DarkCrawler posted:

It's hard to imagine a context where that would not be creepy.

Identical twin gets a paternity test back? No, that's still a creepy way to tell the kids...

• Locked thread