Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

brakeless posted:

Well if we go by your logic here then "supporting the regime" could have taken the form of emptying trashbins in Berlin during the war. If there's nobody doing that job, then it's one less body for the genocide machine right? Everyone who didn't outright flee from Germany is morally culpable if they enabled even the tiniest function of the state. The connection between someone commiting a war crime and someone who happens to be elsewhere in the army at the same time is about as nebulous. If you can't see how dumb assigning blame on that basis is, especially in the context of telling someone that they aren't allowed to care what happens in Iraq because they were part of the US army at the time, I'll have a pretty good laugh.
How does emptying the bins help the genocide machine?

I'm not saying that if you're in the army and some rogue squad goes off and rapes and kills a 14 year old girl, then murders her family, you're just as guilty as they are. That would obviously be nonsense. What if you're there but don't participate in the rape and killings? What if you know what's about to happen but simply fail to report the deed? Taking this back to Fallujah (or My Lai), the people participating in those events are obviously morally culpable. So what if you're part of the sieging force but fail to fire your gun? What if you know what's going on but don't protest? Those are not the same things, but I find it hard to accept that unless you physically commit a war crime, you're guilt-free. The people making sure that the ammo gets where it needs to be, the people who made the plan in the first place, etc., all carry some level of blame, however minute.

SoggyBobcat posted:

Just how far back does this guilt by association go?

Is it just the local units involved, or the entire U.S. Army? How about the other military organizations like the Navy and Air Force? The U.S. government that controls those military organizations? How about the U.S. citizens the government represents (lets not get sidetracked on this point; the government represents you whether it is ideologically similar to your views or not)?

If a squad of Marines executes a small group of unarmed civilians, how culpable is that Army fry cook who wasn't even in the same theatre of operations?
These are not questions that I can easily answer. Guilt / moral culpability doesn't come with a handy numerical score. It seems obvious to me that if you support war crimes, either directly or indirectly, that's probably not a good thing. The less you had to do with it, the less blame falls on you. Maybe my fry-cook example was poorly chosen, I wanted something drastic to get the point across that if you say you helped the army do good work (by doing something small and unrelated), that works for the bad stuff as well.

Lastly, I know that soldiers will be penalized if they protest an action they think is immoral, and that's an explanation for why they may choose not to do it, but it's not an excuse. Besides, solders have the explicit duty to disobey orders they think are illegal, such as war crimes.

edit: Mods, if this starting to become too off-topic, give the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sucrose posted:

Was it all Cold War era bullshit like everything else? If so, why hasn't the US dropped them after it ended?

The enemy might have become more nebulous, but the US are basically still operating in Cold War mode. They are going to keep racking up foreign policy failures until this changes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

botany posted:

How does emptying the bins help the genocide machine?

I'm not saying that if you're in the army and some rogue squad goes off and rapes and kills a 14 year old girl, then murders her family, you're just as guilty as they are. That would obviously be nonsense. What if you're there but don't participate in the rape and killings? What if you know what's about to happen but simply fail to report the deed? Taking this back to Fallujah (or My Lai), the people participating in those events are obviously morally culpable. So what if you're part of the sieging force but fail to fire your gun? What if you know what's going on but don't protest? Those are not the same things, but I find it hard to accept that unless you physically commit a war crime, you're guilt-free. The people making sure that the ammo gets where it needs to be, the people who made the plan in the first place, etc., all carry some level of blame, however minute.

These are not questions that I can easily answer. Guilt / moral culpability doesn't come with a handy numerical score. It seems obvious to me that if you support war crimes, either directly or indirectly, that's probably not a good thing. The less you had to do with it, the less blame falls on you. Maybe my fry-cook example was poorly chosen, I wanted something drastic to get the point across that if you say you helped the army do good work (by doing something small and unrelated), that works for the bad stuff as well.

Lastly, I know that soldiers will be penalized if they protest an action they think is immoral, and that's an explanation for why they may choose not to do it, but it's not an excuse. Besides, solders have the explicit duty to disobey orders they think are illegal, such as war crimes.

edit: Mods, if this starting to become too off-topic, give the word.

The question is:

A. How long is the moral culpability chain? I mean, I can come up with scenarios where a non violent Iraqi killed during the US occupation is, in some small part, morally culpable for their own murder, but I'm pretty sure that the chain of moral culpability would be quite, quite long at that point.

B. How many steps down the chain of moral culpability do you need to go before the whole exercise becomes both meaningless and offensive? To use my earlier example: An Iraqi civilian works manufacturing screws and bolts for a living. These are sold to a wholesale distributer and then sold to the US army for use in maintaining their equipment. Some of the bolts and screws made by the aforementioned Iraqi civilian are used in equipment later used by the US army during the occupation of Iraq. This Iraqi citizen is later killed by a US solider getting his jollies off by murdering defenseless civilians. By your logic the Iraqi civilian holds some small amount of culpability for his own death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

botany posted:

It's perfectly fine to blame a gang banger for, you know, being a gang banger. If they have change of heart afterwards, great, but that doesn't excuse the poo poo they did in the first place. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the poster in question is genuinely concerned over the plight of the Iraqis, but they still deployed as part of a force that literally carried out war crimes against the population. Even if Bait and Swatch wasn't part of any of the excesses, he/she was still part of the human infrastructure that enabled the siege of Fallujah etc. Being roughly reminded of that once in a while isn't really unreasonable.

I like this because it seems to live in a world where soldiers who come back from stuff like this need to be 'reminded' of it by random assholes on the internet. Like, there's some Iraq vet sitting there going "Oh gently caress right, I forgot I was part of the war during a horribly bloody and terrifying time and had no real control over anything due to my position, whew, thanks internet dude, forgot that, I thought I was on a cruise!"

This is like when the tumblr crowd says nothing anyone does, including activism, really counts because they have privilege or something.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

botany posted:

Maybe my fry-cook example was poorly chosen, I wanted something drastic to get the point across that if you say you helped the army do good work (by doing something small and unrelated), that works for the bad stuff as well.

Your fry cook example is the same sort of fallacy, it's just a positive generalization (honour by association) rather than a negative one (guilt by association).

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Jon Steinbeck wrote a moving passage in the Grapes of Wrath about a man being foreclosed upon by a local bank, where the bank was like this great lumbering beast with a mind of its own, and all of the bankers, tellers, loan officers, and clerks were helpless to stop it. All of those people refused to help their neighbor simply because that imaginary beast forced them not to.

It presents a strong moral indictment on the participants of a social system for just going with the flow instead of acting in a morally conscious way.

Social systems, be they corporations or militaries, are amoral--they have no morals and morals do not guide their actions in the slightest. They functio for completely different purposes and will use any means, moral or immoral, to achieve them. For corporations, this means loving people and destroying the planet to produce financial results for shareholders. For the military, this means committing war crimes to win the war.

It is the people in those systems that have morals, and have the power to make moral choices. You could choose to 'just follow orders' or you could choose to put morality ahead of objectives

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone following this fighting between Islamists and ISIS?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

visceril posted:

Jon Steinbeck wrote a moving passage in the Grapes of Wrath about a man being foreclosed upon by a local bank, where the bank was like this great lumbering beast with a mind of its own, and all of the bankers, tellers, loan officers, and clerks were helpless to stop it. All of those people refused to help their neighbor simply because that imaginary beast forced them not to.

It presents a strong moral indictment on the participants of a social system for just going with the flow instead of acting in a morally conscious way.

Social systems, be they corporations or militaries, are amoral--they have no morals and morals do not guide their actions in the slightest. They functio for completely different purposes and will use any means, moral or immoral, to achieve them. For corporations, this means loving people and destroying the planet to produce financial results for shareholders. For the military, this means committing war crimes to win the war.

It is the people in those systems that have morals, and have the power to make moral choices. You could choose to 'just follow orders' or you could choose to put morality ahead of objectives

I agree it's the bank tellers to blame for a house being foreclosed on, that's how systems work.

edit: Christ by this logic that summer I folded poo poo at Old Navy means I am to blame for their sweat shop policy.

Also to tie into this thread, every member of the FSA is to be considered an islamist terrorist because there are factions within it that are. After all if these people were truly moral they'd do...something...gently caress that I don't need to say what they need to do I'm a person on the internet, I never have to acknowledge this situation as real because I'll never be in it.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 4, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MothraAttack posted:

Anyone following this fighting between Islamists and ISIS?

I'm a little confused, I thought ISIS was Islamist.

In general I haven't been following the Syrian civil war these past few months, has any side made significant gains?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Phlegmish posted:

I'm a little confused, I thought ISIS was Islamist.

There are the regular Islamists, and then there's ISIS who are basically Jihadist, al-queda affiliated level of Islamist.(and some

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SoggyBobcat posted:

Calling all American soldiers war criminals or just as guilty as war criminals because they're a member of the same institution is just as dishonest as calling all Muslims jihadists or just as guilty as one since they're a member of the same religion.

That's a pretty incredible conflation, with a big difference in agency.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

SedanChair posted:

That's a pretty incredible conflation, with a big difference in agency.

Is it really? What's the difference with a young American male who signs up with the military to help pay for his education and a young Pashtun male that signs up with the Taliban because there's literally nothing else for him to do in his village except join the local militia? The American probably wields more politcal power than the Pashtun and has more social freedom, sure, but the conflation is a valid one IMO.

In addition, once they're both members of their respective organizations, how much operational or strategic (or even tactical) control do they have so that they might be culpable for crimes they may only tenuously be connected to?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

It's perfectly fine to blame a gang banger for, you know, being a gang banger. If they have change of heart afterwards, great, but that doesn't excuse the poo poo they did in the first place. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the poster in question is genuinely concerned over the plight of the Iraqis, but they still deployed as part of a force that literally carried out war crimes against the population. Even if Bait and Swatch wasn't part of any of the excesses, he/she was still part of the human infrastructure that enabled the siege of Fallujah etc. Being roughly reminded of that once in a while isn't really unreasonable.

Of course it does not excuse that poo poo, but it makes the point of Al-Saqr really loving dumb as he said "you have no right to start lamenting on a situation that was created and abetted by the U.S. Occupation of Iraq" which would indicate that because you (perhaps insignificantly as we didn't get details) participated in the evil that happened you have no right to feel bad about it and wish them a better future.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SoggyBobcat posted:

Is it really? What's the difference with a young American male who signs up with the military to help pay for his education and a young Pashtun male that signs up with the Taliban because there's literally nothing else for him to do in his village except join the local militia?

You just did it again. First you equated "US soldiers" to "Muslims" and then seamlessly replaced "Muslims" with "Taliban."

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Saw 59 new posts and thought there was a thorough discussion of all the crazy recent developments in the region.

Nope, just another stupid slapfight over American soldiers. :ughh:

Meanwhile, in Falluja

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-01/04/c_133018647.htm

quote:

Iraqi security forces lose control of Fallujah

BAGHDAD, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) -- Iraqi security forces on Saturday lost control of Fallujah, a city in Anbar province some 50 km west of Baghdad, to some tribesmen and al-Qaida fighters, a security source said.

"Fallujah is under control of armed tribesmen and al-Qaida fighters, and there is no presence for the government security forces," the source told Xinhua.

The clashes in Anbar province entered their sixth day after tensions flared up in the western province on Monday when Iraqi police dismantled an anti-government protest site outside it capital city of Ramadi.

Meanwhile, a witness from the city told Xinhua by telephone that fierce clashes erupted on Friday night, when dozens of gunmen attacked an army base outside Fallujah, and seized part of it.

Unlike in Fallujah, tribesmen and government troops fought together against al-Qaida militants in Ramadi, some 110 km west of Baghdad, and regained control of the city, the security source said.

Tension has been running high in the Sunni heartland of Anbar since the Iraqi security forces on Saturday captured Sunni Arab tribal leader and lawmaker Ahmad al-Alwani and killed his brother.

The Sunnis have been carrying out year-long protests, accusing the Shiite-led government of marginalizing them and its Shiite- dominated security forces of indiscriminately arresting, torturing and killing their sons.

Alwani is one of the outspoken leaders in the anti-government protests. Some opponent lawmakers have been calling for lifting his immunity against arrest, but their demand was rejected by the parliament.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm seeing unconfirmed stuff on Twitter that the Savior of Um al-Dunya General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will run for Egypt's presidency. No word as to whether or not the ghosts of Gamal Abdel-Nasser or Anwar Sadat whispered gently into his ear one night and urged him to do so.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

suboptimal posted:

I'm seeing unconfirmed stuff on Twitter that the Savior of Um al-Dunya General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will run for Egypt's presidency. No word as to whether or not the ghosts of Gamal Abdel-Nasser or Anwar Sadat whispered gently into his ear one night and urged him to do so.

Any word on what party he would run with?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree it's the bank tellers to blame for a house being foreclosed on, that's how systems work.

edit: Christ by this logic that summer I folded poo poo at Old Navy means I am to blame for their sweat shop policy.

Also to tie into this thread, every member of the FSA is to be considered an islamist terrorist because there are factions within it that are. After all if these people were truly moral they'd do...something...gently caress that I don't need to say what they need to do I'm a person on the internet, I never have to acknowledge this situation as real because I'll never be in it.

The point isn't to shame the tellers and clerks and dump blood on them PETA style, but by participating in the system, yes they do bear some moral responsibility for it.

Like how a white person should acknowledge and understand that they benefit from institutional racism, but not become self-flagellating strawmen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

visceril posted:

The point isn't to shame the tellers and clerks and dump blood on them PETA style, but by participating in the system, yes they do bear some moral responsibility for it.

Like how a white person should acknowledge and understand that they benefit from institutional racism, but not become self-flagellating strawmen.

Interesting because that's essentially what the original post was about and then people jumped on him because "baby killer war criminal ".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

visceril posted:

Right and the dude who started this whole thing off did acknowledge his role in the problems but got jumped on for saying he's sad for Iraq without proper flagellation, so yea a lot of this bullshit keyboard warrior crap is just to shame people to feel better.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

redscare posted:

Saw 59 new posts and thought there was a thorough discussion of all the crazy recent developments in the region.

Nope, just another stupid slapfight over American soldiers. :ughh:

On the :ughh: vibe, how about the suspect in the Iran embassy bombing who died from getting his kidneys pummeled by angry Shias completely unrelated kidney failure?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
A quick rundown of what's going on in Syria and Iraq:
Ramadi is now officially out of government control. The tribes control it, and they're currently fighting ISIS. The tribes are apparently coordinating with FSA battalions across the border in Syria in what appears to be a unified effort to get rid of ISIS once and for all. Anbar province is now a three way battle, with the tribes overtaking army positions, ISIS taking a few army personnel hostage and Malki acting clueless.
Syria is where things get a bit crazy. We now have moderate Islamists, the FSA, the Army of Islam, the Army of the Mujahideen, and Jabhat Al Nusra, the 'moderate' AlQaeda franchise in Syria fighting against ISIS, which is crazy AlQaeda. This unified front was sparked by ISIS detaining, torturing, killing and finally mutilating a doctor affiliated with Ahrar Alsham, a not-crazy Salafi battalion that was allied with ISIS.
The joint front is the largest opposition operation in Syria yet, and the one that encompasses the most groups. They have apparently decimated ISIS unless media reports aren't true, with many defections and a few local emirs killed or detained.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It's crazy to think that its been a little over 10 years since Operation Phantom Fury (the second American offensive in Falluja December 04) and now you have the Iraqi government fighting Islamists in Falluja. That is one untameable city apparently. What I don't understand is how the Iraqi government thinks they are ever going to control the Anbar region? They have done everything they can to sideline Sunnis and now they expect to pacify a highly Sunni area using what amounts to a huge Shia militia (the Iraqi army)

Also, theres been ANOTHER bombing in Lebanon: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/02/world/meast/lebanon-explosion/index.html?hpt=wo_c1 again it happened in a "Hezbollah stronghold"

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, Assad is sitting tight and waiting to pick off whoever wins over the rebel infighting, because there's no way they're sticking together after ISIS is gone, and by that point people will welcome an end to the bloodshed and Assad will be remembered as a Protector of Syria. Good job guys! You sure did kill a shitload of people, destroy any potential for a new market, and fail to tip the Sunni/Shia balance of power in any meaningful way. High Fives all around!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Looks more like things are spilling over into Iraq and that the "Worst Islamists" are getting their poo poo kicked in.

Short of Assad conjuring up a Soviet Tank army from the ether I'm not seeing him "pick off" any victors anytime soon.

(Didn't his supposed civil war ending grand offensive kick off around a year ago? How's that going?)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

visceril posted:

So, Assad is sitting tight and waiting to pick off whoever wins over the rebel infighting, because there's no way they're sticking together after ISIS is gone, and by that point people will welcome an end to the bloodshed and Assad will be remembered as a Protector of Syria. Good job guys! You sure did kill a shitload of people, destroy any potential for a new market, and fail to tip the Sunni/Shia balance of power in any meaningful way. High Fives all around!

He's nowhere near able to pick off survivors of this war unless Putin absolutely goes crazy(ier) and sends him a poo poo ton of soldiers and poo poo.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Charliegrs posted:

They have done everything they can to sideline Sunnis and now they expect to pacify a highly Sunni area using what amounts to a huge Shia militia (the Iraqi army)

Is the Iraqi army truly a huge Shia militia? If so, was it a huge Sunni militia before the disbanding? I can't really find information on its ethno-religious divisions (I wonder the same about the police force).

Pieter Pan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 4, 2014

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

visceril posted:

Yeah it sucks for the people who were fighting in Syria under the banner of the FSA. A lot of them simply wanted Assad gone and maybe even wanted democracy. They probably expected to get some help from the west after NATOs operation in Libya but the help never came so they took whatever help they could get which was from Islamists. But now those same Islamists hijacked their movement and created chaos and really soured international opinion of the opposition. So yeah, congrats Islamists you somehow made Assad look like a better option.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

On the news front, how about this bizarreness?

Former Right-wing populist anti-immigration politician/media mogul/entrepreneur turns Syrian Refugee hostel-profiteer.

"In the space of a year, Mr Karlsson has opened four hostels accommodating about 1,000 refugees drawn by Sweden’s generous asylum conditions. He has applied to open 19 more, housing up to 7,000 people, which would make him by far the biggest provider of refugee accommodation in the country."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the summary. I love how the goalposts have shifted so much that you have now have 'moderate' Al Qaeda-affiliated groups.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You know that scene from Life of Brian is becoming more and more true to reality.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the summary. I love how the goalposts have shifted so much that you have now have 'moderate' Al Qaeda-affiliated groups.

No problem. Also, the drums of despair continue to beat, as they have since this all started. Somehow the rebels finally unifying against crazy radicals who nobody ever wanted is now a bad thing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

Remember this from a couple of days ago?

Well it's just been reported he's died "from a deterioration of a health condition." I guess that handily avoids him answering some awkward questions.

IIRC, they only found him because he went to a hospital for something to do with his kidney, so this is plausible.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pieter posted:

Is the Iraqi army truly a huge Shia militia? If so, was it a huge Sunni militia before the disbanding? I can't really find information on its ethno-religious divisions (I wonder the same about the police force).

I believe the actual makeup of the security forces is mostly Shia but yeah I can't find any demographic info either. However, they operate at the behest of a mostly Shiite government and are generally viewed as a the biggest and best equipped Shiite militia in the country. The government has sidelined Sunnis quite a bit and is more aligned with Iran and Syria. Letting Iran fly weapons over its airspace every day to Syria is just one example.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AllanGordon posted:

Any word on what party he would run with?

The winning party :(

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Muffiner posted:

No problem. Also, the drums of despair continue to beat, as they have since this all started. Somehow the rebels finally unifying against crazy radicals who nobody ever wanted is now a bad thing.

The hope was that the FSA would win and set up the bizarro-Assad regime. Secular, good at keeping a lid on sectarian tensions (regardless of cost) and pro US. Maybe democracy or something I dunno. Now at best the US and Israel get a Sunni majority Islamic state a la Saudi Arabia but without the oil or duplicity. "Death to Israel" but we mean it this time.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Pimpmust posted:

On the news front, how about this bizarreness?

Former Right-wing populist anti-immigration politician/media mogul/entrepreneur turns Syrian Refugee hostel-profiteer.

"In the space of a year, Mr Karlsson has opened four hostels accommodating about 1,000 refugees drawn by Sweden’s generous asylum conditions. He has applied to open 19 more, housing up to 7,000 people, which would make him by far the biggest provider of refugee accommodation in the country."
It's not that surprising. The dude's an opportunist, and right now the "refugee business", as crass as it might sound, is ridiculously lucrative in Sweden. The government desperately needs more housing for refugees so they're willing to pay way above market value for anything that resembles a functional home. Which means real estate firms and entrepreneurs are making out like bandits.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Aurubin posted:

The hope was that the FSA would win and set up the bizarro-Assad regime. Secular, good at keeping a lid on sectarian tensions (regardless of cost) and pro US. Maybe democracy or something I dunno. Now at best the US and Israel get a Sunni majority Islamic state a la Saudi Arabia but without the oil or duplicity. "Death to Israel" but we mean it this time.

Saudi Arabia and Israel are actually drifting into an alliance of sorts. It's a strange friendship though, since neither government can too openly acknowledge it and it only exists due to a shared hatred of Iran.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

New Division posted:

Saudi Arabia and Israel are actually drifting into an alliance of sorts. It's a strange friendship though, since neither government can too openly acknowledge it and it only exists due to a shared hatred of Iran.

Didn't the same thing happen with Israel and Syria at some point during the Lebanon civil war? Or at least supporting the same militias.(I think specifically at one point they were both supporting the Maronites, but that's just more of a gut feeling) Politics is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Amused to Death posted:

Didn't the same thing happen with Israel and Syria at some point during the Lebanon civil war? Or at least supporting the same militias.(I think specifically at one point they were both supporting the Maronites, but that's just more of a gut feeling) Politics is weird.

It wouldn't surprise me. The Lebanese civil war was one of the most confusing wars ever fought.

• Locked thread