Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

AnotherGamer posted:

There another factor to consider in the actual game, although it's not quite as important: since the useability of Specials depends on what weapon the character has equiped, you might end up screwing yourself out of some handy damage, healing and buffing if you equip characters with weapons that have Special requirements that don't match up to what they're doing in battle, such as giving bows to anyone that's not a Ranger or knives to anyone that's not a Salve-Maker.

Stick spellfencer on anyone and they'll be able to charge up the bow's special, so long as what they're fighting has an elemental weakness. A thief makes a good dedicated item-thrower since they're good with daggers and their high speed will let you cure statuses on people before their turn comes around. Also I haven't tested this but maybe a merchant can charge up the dagger special with Pharmacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fun, and I think you get a bit of leather and bronze armor in your starting gear in the full game. There's actually a bonus boss, incidentally, if you're referring to the Dragon.

No I beat the Dragon I'm talking about the quest you get after the credits and stuff

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

does the game factor items that are S rank for a class into the stats screen?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Joshlemagne posted:

No I beat the Dragon I'm talking about the quest you get after the credits and stuff

There's a play bonus for it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm liking the demo so far. Didn't have as much trouble with enemies outside the town like other people seem to have though. Probably something to do with me just blasting BP all over the place and beating on everything full power. Guessing that's not going to fly the rest of the game, but I'm willing to exploit it for now. :v:

Also Crescent Moon seems pretty crazy so now the three physical party members have it. Let's see how that goes. :getin:

Also also I love that you can change the encounter rate. That's like the perfect thing. Want to grind? Stick it up. Just want to explore? Turn it off entirely. Game seems to have a lot of convenient features like that and it makes a nice change from games being awkward just for the sake of it.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

McDragon posted:

Also also I love that you can change the encounter rate. That's like the perfect thing. Want to grind? Stick it up. Just want to explore? Turn it off entirely.
Sure helps when mashing your face up against walls looking for hidden passages :D

McDragon posted:

Game seems to have a lot of convenient features like that and it makes a nice change from games being awkward just for the sake of it.
Inns still take forever and a day to sleep at, though :argh:

This isn't really a gameplay feature and is probably just me being nitpicky, but some of the font choices seem kinda flaky too. The health shown on Examine's tooltip and stats in some places use this ugly full-width Japanese font instead of the good-looking font that's available everywhere else. The first time I read someone's Examine health I thought it said "HP: 8 '0/8' 0" and was confused for a second as to what it meant. I noticed it's used on the Streetpass pages too, where it shows what region someone's located in. USA, DEU, etc. The one exception being if they're from Japan, where it just says JPN with the regular font :raise:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 4, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can see Bravely Default already being my favorite game of the year.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I can see Bravely Default already being my favorite game of the year.

It got spot number 5 on my 2013 list. I love the battle system, and I like the characters for the most part, but it does have some pretty big issues in the second half of the game. The battle system and the quite frankly ridiculous amounts of boss fights never stops being great though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

It got spot number 5 on my 2013 list. I love the battle system, and I like the characters for the most part, but it does have some pretty big issues in the second half of the game. The battle system and the quite frankly ridiculous amounts of boss fights never stops being great though.

Im not finished yet but I'm halfway through chapter 5 and I tend to agree, my interest in the story dropped a lot after that happened.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

maketakunai posted:

Sure helps when mashing your face up against walls looking for hidden passages :D
Inns still take forever and a day to sleep at, though :argh:

This isn't really a gameplay feature and is probably just me being nitpicky, but some of the font choices seem kinda flaky too. The health shown on Examine's tooltip and stats in some places use this ugly full-width Japanese font instead of the good-looking font that's available everywhere else. The first time I read someone's Examine health I thought it said "HP: 8 '0/8' 0" and was confused for a second as to what it meant. I noticed it's used on the Streetpass pages too, where it shows what region someone's located in. USA, DEU, etc. The one exception being if they're from Japan, where it just says JPN with the regular font :raise:

Woah secret passages? Just mash A against all walls or what?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ragequit posted:

No need to press A, just push against walls. Freelancer has an ability that shows you how many chests are left on the floor you're on in a dungeon, so if it shows that there's one remaining when you have explored everything, put encounters to 0 and hug the walls.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Ragequit posted:

Someone in town tells you, just walk up into it and you'll find it.

As far as I could tell, there were only one secret passages in the demo. If you wanna know where to find 'em, it's in the first dungeon in the dead end in the top-left area, walk into it to the left. When you hit the treasure chest, it actually shows up on the mini map and you get a HUD prompt in the top screen letting you know you actually found it, too :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boss fights wont show up if your encounters are set to zero right?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Beat the whole Demo without doing anything with Norende. I did it using the 4 blackmage group, all job lvl 4, subbed with lvl 3 white magic. By the time I got to the final final boss, everyone was level 20 and I just barely killed the boss before running dry on MP. The Damage Dispersion support ability was crucial in order to keep people from dying. Default for 3 turns and then nuke the bosses with three of your characters while you have the remaining one heal everyone up.

You want to stack as much Matk as possible. That means you should buy 8 rods and have everyone dual-wield two of them, buy 4 Tricorns for everyone, and 4 Silk robes. The owl mages in the wind temple drop Rods of Fire that provide 2 extra Matk each over regular Rods, so I nabbed like 4 of those just from grinding up levels. You also get a single Mythril Rod at some point and it's the strongest rod in the demo by far. I just slapped it on Ringabel since he's naturally the fastest in the party and the first to nuke encounters.

The demo highlights a few issues with the game, which is that with the way defense works, you will do absolute poo poo-all damage in some parts of the game if you don't go full-offensive. Maybe it's because in the full version I wasn't paying enough attention to Norende, but at least the curve in enemy health/defense wasn't as bad as in the demo. Frankly, if you step into the demo wind temple and you aren't quad-black mage or quad-dual wielding Norende weapons on offensive classes you simply cannot kill anything. I didn't have time to get any farther than the fire crystal temple in the full version so I don't know if the curve in health/defense got any better, but at that point everything was such a mountain of health that I just kept encounters at -50% or turned off entirely to skip them.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 4, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

I said come in! posted:

Boss fights wont show up if your encounters are set to zero right?
I dunno about the full game but in the demo, no, they're still just sitting there even at 0%.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

maketakunai posted:

I dunno about the full game but in the demo, no, they're still just sitting there even at 0%.

I've been through the dungeons that are available in the demo and haven't ran into any bosses yet. Probably something super obvious that I am missing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I've been through the dungeons that are available in the demo and haven't ran into any bosses yet. Probably something super obvious that I am missing.

The bosses show up as part of quests. Do those.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm liking the demo so far. Apparently I was icthing for a JRPG without even realizing it yet.

So how does the whole town thing work in the real game? Can I register people over the internet to fill up my StreetPass villager thingy because I don't want to wait 12 loving hours just to open up a weapon shop.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Office Thug posted:

The demo highlights a few issues with the game, which is that with the way defense works, you will do absolute poo poo-all damage in some parts of the game if you don't go full-offensive. Maybe it's because in the full version I wasn't paying enough attention to Norende, but at least the curve in enemy health/defense wasn't as bad as in the demo. Frankly, if you step into the demo wind temple and you aren't quad-black mage or quad-dual wielding Norende weapons on offensive classes you simply cannot kill anything. I didn't have time to get any farther than the fire crystal temple in the full version so I don't know if the curve in health/defense got any better, but at that point everything was such a mountain of health that I just kept encounters at -50% or turned off entirely to skip them.

I didn't have any problem with the demo playing normally. I didn't really grind at all except a bit at the beginning for the quests. And I only upgraded stuff to level 1 or 2 in the town. I think the only town-bought stuff I had fighting the bonus boss was a valkyrie spear, couple of the better katanas for my ninja and a mythril shield on my white mage. I used a pretty standard boring party of knight (later valkyrie), white mage, black mage, and ninja. And I was only around level 11-12 by the end. The dragons in the temple are tough but you certainly don't need to be maxed out in any way to deal with them. It takes a bit to wear them down but they aren't that big a deal. And the other enemies are even less of a threat than that (the owl guys can be silenced, for example).

The only thing I really noticed is that the bosses can give you a really bad pattern that can make the fights seem unwinnable. I think the first boss was supposed to charm, for example, but never did it to me. And the bonus boss spammed self-healing the first few times I fought it. I simply couldn't do enough damage to get past that. But then on another attempt it only did it maybe once in the whole fight and I pulled out a win. I feel there's maybe a bit too much luck involved in whether a boss just spams you with stuff you can't deal with or casually takes pot-shots at your 100% dodge ninja and you never take a scratch.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
I played on normal and had no Norende gear until the extra boss. Did fine with a combo of Knight/Black Mage/Valkyrie/Swordmaster. The dragon only hits for physical damage and does nothing else, so long as you have a party with decent enough defense, it isn't difficult to just wear him down. Also, for the first boss, apparently I was leveled enough to where her Aero wasn't a straight up one-shot (level 10?) and if she charms one of your guys you can just hit them to break them out. The only thing that's difficult in the demo to kill are chompers (in the tower to the south), and that's only because they run away if you don't kill them quickly enough and they have a ton of defense. For those black mages are basically necessary without Norende gear (though once you get a valkyrie set up with a mythril spear, you can just double crescent moon at the beginning of a fight and collect your easy JP).

Also, I'm liking the end of battle bonuses. The bonus for not taking any damage during a fight and ending fights in 1 turn actually chain from fight to fight, further increasing the bonus you get. So right now I'm just maxing out all of the jobs in the demo by slaughtering chompers which nets me 90 JP a battle. Definitely picking this up when it comes out next month.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Do I actually have to beat adamantite in the demo to get the second villager? I am trying the steps from the previous page, but accepting the quest didn't make a villager appear.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After playing the demo some (past the adamantite now) I can see the game having potential but I'm not really all that impressed yet despite being a huge sucker for job systems and liking the art style. The difficulty and encounter rate features are nice, but the controls get on my nerves, mainly in how there is not a consistent input method for every screen or menu. Messing with the town? That's the stylus. Moving around on the map? Thumb pad. Navigating menus? That's the d-pad. It also doesn't explain poo poo about what determines multiple hits on attacks (though I'm guessing it's agility), what weapon proficiencies do (should I use the oak staff and longsword that the system recommends on my ninja even though they're rated C or go with the S-rated daggers with lower damage?) I'm also really not a fan of the town thing if it's going to be dependent on street pass to get anything done in a timely manner, leaving me with just the weak starter weapons and any drops. Also is it like Tactics where the class you're in when you level determines stat gains or is there no stat cost to switching jobs at will?

Maybe some of these concerns are unfounded or resolved in the full game, which I would be happy to hear, but I'm on the fence right now.

Edit: Not being able to see the health on a monster you've examined in a previous battle is also really dumb.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 4, 2014

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Ragequit posted:

Do I actually have to beat adamantite in the demo to get the second villager? I am trying the steps from the previous page, but accepting the quest didn't make a villager appear.

I got him right after beating the first boss. I think its actually tied to upgrading your town rather than beating X boss. I had the southern path open with the item shop at 2 when i got the second worker.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Neraren posted:

I got him right after beating the first boss. I think its actually tied to upgrading your town rather than beating X boss. I had the southern path open with the item shop at 2 when i got the second worker.

I was talking to the wrong guy. Found the right one to the left of the spell shop.

Edit: Except the save/item adventurer doesn't have the return to main menu option anymore. Might have to burn through a few of my demo uses.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

chumbler posted:

It also doesn't explain poo poo about what determines multiple hits on attacks (though I'm guessing it's agility), what weapon proficiencies do (should I use the oak staff and longsword that the system recommends on my ninja even though they're rated C or go with the S-rated daggers with lower damage?) I'm also really not a fan of the town thing if it's going to be dependent on street pass to get anything done in a timely manner, leaving me with just the weak starter weapons and any drops.

Edit: Not being able to see the health on a monster you've examined in a previous battle is also really dumb.

1. Equip > a person > Page 2 on the bottom screen > Click "AGI". "Affects physical attack evasion, hit count, speed, and first strike rate."
2. As far as I know, weapon ranking just affects the damage? For example, a 7/7 P/MAtk Rod of Ice gives my Performer (S-rank) 14/7, but a Valkyrie (E-rank) receives merely 7/7.
3. Realgame uses internet updating for villagers if you have nobody to streetpass.
4. Yeah, that's dumb as hell, especially considering you can see their max health.

I heard the real game has some actual tutorials (like, it flat-out gives you tutorial quests where you get rewards for equipping Jobs and stuff) so it might be better.

chumbler posted:

Moving around on the map? Thumb pad. Navigating menus? That's the d-pad.
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who has always done this in every game, simply because it (feels?) is quicker and more accurate to tap d-pad a bunch of times than to tap the analog stick a bunch of times :shobon:

Ragequit posted:

Edit: Except the save/item adventurer doesn't have the return to main menu option anymore. Might have to burn through a few of my demo uses.
It's in the save menu.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you. I couldn't remember if saving was a one click thing or not. Didn't want to overwrite the step!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ragequit posted:

It seems like nobody has this down as to what spawns the second villager. For the record, the guy gave me a second one after I beat Melusine, and I'm pretty sure as far as Norende restoration I had the item shop at level 1 and cleared the logs to the south and that was it (I specifically waited until I had the second guy before I cleared the boulder that would have taken ten hours). I hadn't done the accessory shop, because I still haven't restored that, it's the last one I'm doing.

chumbler posted:

what weapon proficiencies do (should I use the oak staff and longsword that the system recommends on my ninja even though they're rated C or go with the S-rated daggers with lower damage?)

Armor proficiency is weird to me too. Apparently everyone can equip light stuff just fine but heavy armor has proficiency? And what does that mean exactly? If I put Mythril Armor on my Black Mage does it mean that the stats it shows for defense aren't the actual stats it's giving me, or does it mean that he's slower, what exactly is the mechanics behind this? I'm hoping it's explained in the full game too because it's a complete mystery at the moment.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

chumbler posted:

After playing the demo some (past the adamantite now) I can see the game having potential but I'm not really all that impressed yet despite being a huge sucker for job systems and liking the art style. The difficulty and encounter rate features are nice, but the controls get on my nerves, mainly in how there is not a consistent input method for every screen or menu. Messing with the town? That's the stylus. Moving around on the map? Thumb pad. Navigating menus? That's the d-pad. It also doesn't explain poo poo about what determines multiple hits on attacks (though I'm guessing it's agility), what weapon proficiencies do (should I use the oak staff and longsword that the system recommends on my ninja even though they're rated C or go with the S-rated daggers with lower damage?) I'm also really not a fan of the town thing if it's going to be dependent on street pass to get anything done in a timely manner, leaving me with just the weak starter weapons and any drops. Also is it like Tactics where the class you're in when you level determines stat gains or is there no stat cost to switching jobs at will?

Maybe some of these concerns are unfounded or resolved in the full game, which I would be happy to hear, but I'm on the fence right now.

What I've figured out from messing around with the demo:

AGI increases the number of hits you get out of an attack. When you get the Accessory shop to level 3, you can buy Hermes' Sandals, which increases the AGI of a character by 10. Seems like roughly every 5 AGI is a chance for an extra hit. Edit: Oh, on the equip screen the different stats shown on the bottom screen are buttons you can push to show what each stat does.

Proficiencies increase the stats you get from items. Characters with E rank in armor don't get much benefit from A rank armor (heavy stuff), but they get full benefit from robes and such. If your ninja gets higher damage out of a staff and longsword, then those are the weapons you should go with.

Street pass being a big thing is demo only, apparently in the full version you can just connect to the internet and get a couple of free villagers every day.

I don't think leveling up in specific jobs changes your stat growth. When I switch all my characters back to Freelancer they seem to have the same slight stat differences they did when they were level 1.

quote:

There's a dude standing above the inn in town. Talk to him and see if he gives you another villager.

Willias fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 4, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Second villager is granted after beating the first boss AND turning in the quest. Just beating the boss isn't enough. The guy is on a staircase between the Inn and Weapon shop.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I've beaten the dragon on my main game so far, and don't want to have to restart if I don't have to.

Does anyone know if I've unlocked all the rewards on one demo character and unlock multiple workers on a second carrier, can I get both to carry over to the main game on my new game?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Twelve by Pies posted:

Armor proficiency is weird to me too. Apparently everyone can equip light stuff just fine but heavy armor has proficiency? And what does that mean exactly? If I put Mythril Armor on my Black Mage does it mean that the stats it shows for defense aren't the actual stats it's giving me, or does it mean that he's slower, what exactly is the mechanics behind this? I'm hoping it's explained in the full game too because it's a complete mystery at the moment.

The stat bonuses are already calculated for you on the menu, so you can pretty much just ignore the proficiency ratings and go by the actual stat numbers it's showing you. I don't think there's any draw backs for giving a Black Mage Mythril Armor, except that a Knight would get a much better bonus from it.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
There's some kind of base modifier on light armor though, it seems. For example, this Feather Hat (3 Def) gives everyone 5 Defense. However, this 5 Def Helm still gives my Black Mage (E-Rank) 5 Defense (though it gives my A-Rank Valkyrie 9 Def). A 1-Def Hat gives 1 Defense, a 2-Def Hat gives 3 Defense.. :confused:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hello thread, is this game supposed to look pretty...awful on an XL? (Game's not out yet here but I am playing around with the demo). Debating on whether or not to just play it on my original 3ds or not...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It looks fine to me?

I'm glad they put out a demo, even though I was going to blind buy it anyways. It's really fun and the job system is what I want out of all my RPGs.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
How exactly does the full game unlock the bonuses from the demo? Does the full game just look at the installed demo and update from that, or is there a password system or some other weird connection thing? Assuming that the US release will work the same as it did for the European version.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

maketakunai posted:

There's some kind of base modifier on light armor though, it seems. For example, this Feather Hat (3 Def) gives everyone 5 Defense. However, this 5 Def Helm still gives my Black Mage (E-Rank) 5 Defense (though it gives my A-Rank Valkyrie 9 Def). A 1-Def Hat gives 1 Defense, a 2-Def Hat gives 3 Defense.. :confused:

There's generally three types of armour:

The heavy armour that has proficiency attached to it. Jobs with a high ranking in heavy armour will get more defence from this.

Light armour which gives little defence to anyone, but tends to have +int or +mind on it.

Light armour which has more defence but no stat boosts. The amount of defence on this tends to be less than what a knight would get from heavy armour, but more than what a mage would get from the same heavy armour.

The game doesn't make any distinction between the two types of light armour, so make sure to examine the properties of armour besides the defence and decide whether you want your casters to be better at casting or better at surviving.

The optimise option takes weapon proficiencies into account, so if it's telling you that C-rank staff is better than an A-rank sword, it's because you have a high damage staff and a lovely low-level sword and the difference is enough to outweigh the bonus from your job's weapon proficiency. You might want to look for a better sword!

Optimise also takes two-handed into account, so if it keeps wanting to put a bow on your valkyrie it's probably because you forgot to put two-handed on them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SmockJoc posted:

How exactly does the full game unlock the bonuses from the demo? Does the full game just look at the installed demo and update from that, or is there a password system or some other weird connection thing? Assuming that the US release will work the same as it did for the European version.

The game saves data and the full game reads that save data.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Manage to beat the post credits demo boss in one rounds worth of attacks, it's really satisfying to set up a strategy and watch it play out flawlessly

Are there any hidden item packs? I heard you get one from maxing out the town, do you get one for maxing out all jobs as well?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Manage to beat the post credits demo boss in one rounds worth of attacks, it's really satisfying to set up a strategy and watch it play out flawlessly

Are there any hidden item packs? I heard you get one from maxing out the town, do you get one for maxing out all jobs as well?

Nothing from maxing levels or jobs. Not even a "There are more jobs in the full game!!!" message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

The game doesn't make any distinction between the two types of light armour, so make sure to examine the properties of armour besides the defence and decide whether you want your casters to be better at casting or better at surviving.
Note, however, that if you use optimise, the game will always go for whatever deals the most damage or gives the highest defense. So if you have an Ice Sword in Fire Land, the game will put on the Slightly Stronger Sword, even if you'd deal more damage when counting weakness. Just the same, if a robe gives +10 magic attack, if another robe gives higher defense, the game will put on that one.

• Locked thread