Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
The squeeze-bulb thing that comes with the Metro, with the blue ring, is very small capacity because it is "for cleaning."

This is from Goulet Pens, showing the capacity of the cartridge converters compared to a cartridge.

milpreve fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I received some money towards a pen for christmas and just ordered a Blue/Black Pelikan M600 in fine. Also managed to grab some iroshizuku inks as well, since they were only $12/bottle.

I can't loving wait! :D

EDIT: So when ordering from Ratuken, do I need to formally respond to the emails I receive, or are they just confirming shipping/tax prices? My Google translate is loving rusty. :p

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 28, 2013

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

I received some money towards a pen for christmas and just ordered a Blue/Black Pelikan M600 in fine. Also managed to grab some iroshizuku inks as well, since they were only $12/bottle.

I can't loving wait! :D

EDIT: So when ordering from Ratuken, do I need to formally respond to the emails I receive, or are they just confirming shipping/tax prices? My Google translate is loving rusty. :p

They may ask you for details again, but you'll receive 2-3 loving long emails full of nothing but order confirmations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

They may ask you for details again, but you'll receive 2-3 loving long emails full of nothing but order confirmations.

Ok, good to know, thanks!

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

blowfish posted:

They cancelled my first order, when I tried paying with PayPal, because I didn't respond to their emails. When I payed with credit card, no confirmation was necessary.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm about to switch ink colors for the first time, so I'll need to clean the nib. My question is, should the water be clean (as in bottled), or can I just use tap water? I'm kind of wary about our tap because it has a strong metallic taste and could affect the nib or something.

(If it helps, I'm using a LAMY Safari.)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

milpreve posted:

They cancelled my first order, when I tried paying with PayPal, because I didn't respond to their emails. When I payed with credit card, no confirmation was necessary.

Ah ok, then one of their emails was asking for a confirmation. When I ordered stuff at Rakuten, I had to confirm the Paypal email address they were supposed to bill at one of the shops.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm about to switch ink colors for the first time, so I'll need to clean the nib. My question is, should the water be clean (as in bottled), or can I just use tap water? I'm kind of wary about our tap because it has a strong metallic taste and could affect the nib or something.

Tap water's fine, your nib is not a super fragile thing that'll go boom if exposed to anything but the purest of waters.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Schneider Heim posted:

Tap water is fine, but if your water is particularly hard or rusty-tasting, you might consider investing the 89¢ in a jug of distilled water for peace of mind's sake.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

cobalt impurity posted:

Tap water is fine, but if your water is particularly hard or rusty-tasting, you might consider investing the 89¢ in a jug of distilled water for peace of mind's sake.

Yeah, I think I'll do this. Thanks!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

When I was living in Felton, CA, my tap water was so calcified it would give anybody who attempted to drink it a sore throat. Glasses would have visible rings of mineral buildup if left out. I don't know how my pens or I survived for two years. :gonk:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

milpreve posted:

When I paid with Paypal the first time, they required me to answer to confirm the shipping price before they charged me.

Oh Exploitable
May 1, 2013
So my Metro decided to explode today.
I've been away for Christmas and haven't used my pens in about a week. It got really loving cold here yesterday/today (in the negatives oh boy), and when I took out my metro to use it before lunch it threw up ink all over my hands. I can't actually get the barrel to come apart at the moment to check - I think even after wiping it off, the pen is still too greasy from the ink to turn. The pen is only 4 months old or so, so I don't think the bladder itself is broken. Is this just something that happens when the temperature hits extremes and I'll have to get used to, or is the cold just really bad for my pens and I should protect them from it more?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

It's the extreme temperature changes causing air in the feed/converter/barrel to expand and push out ink. Y'ever left a can of Coke in your car overnight and returned to find it froze overnight and split the can open?

Other things that can cause an inky mess: elevation changes, like if you work at the top of a high rise but live at sea level; air pressure changes, like flying or a sudden catastrophic change in barometric pressure.

Alternatively, the suction effect of repeatedly capping and uncapping a pen can winkle ink out of the feed causing a flood in the cap. But with modern pens you'd have to be capping and uncapping a heck of a lot.

If your pen is going to be exposed to those sorts of temperature changes on a regular basis, make sure to store them feed up so there's more of a pathway for trapped air to get "out."

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Alternatively, the suction effect of repeatedly capping and uncapping a pen can winkle ink out of the feed causing a flood in the cap. But with modern pens you'd have to be capping and uncapping a heck of a lot.

I'll stop playing with my Metro cap!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have been living a lie.

I thought, wrongly, that Tsuki-Yo was the color of the face of God but I was betrayed, betrayed by my own poor powers of imagination. This failure will haunt me for the remaining years of my corporeal existence.

Ama-Iro has revealed itself to me and it is the radiant hue of divine communion made liquid. For a fleeting moment when I opened the cap, and I will swear this unto my dying breath, I heard the dulcet harmonies of the choir almighty. It is the glass-wrapped pinnacle of chromatic perfection and my eyes will never rest upon a greater glory in this life.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

The Entire Universe posted:

I have been living a lie.

I thought, wrongly, that Tsuki-Yo was the color of the face of God but I was betrayed, betrayed by my own poor powers of imagination. This failure will haunt me for the remaining years of my corporeal existence.

Ama-Iro has revealed itself to me and it is the radiant hue of divine communion made liquid. For a fleeting moment when I opened the cap, and I will swear this unto my dying breath, I heard the dulcet harmonies of the choir almighty. It is the glass-wrapped pinnacle of chromatic perfection and my eyes will never rest upon a greater glory in this life.

You really managed to misspell Bay State Blue there. And twice no less.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I had to struggle to not correct him regarding BSB, nice. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Demon_Corsair posted:

And you misspelled Blue Pen Dye.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hey hey, let's not let this get out of hand, there are plenty of other, more worthy things to argue about.

Like those goofy bastards who insist on posting their caps.
HEATHENS

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

BSB will dye a hell of lot more than pens blue.

iostream.h posted:

Hey hey, let's not let this get out of hand, there are plenty of other, more worthy things to argue about.

HEATHENS

It makes sense to do so with the Kaweco Sports and other mini pens that are designed to be posted, but otherwise I agree with you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

iostream.h posted:

HEATHENS

In your heart, you know to :justpost:

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Tulip posted:

In your heart, you know to :justpost:

Unless it's an already gigantic pen! My tiny lady hands insist that my new Vac 700 is a cap-in-pocket pen, thank you very much.

Fake edit: That moment when you realize you ordered the wrong color ink sample, but don't care because why not? Also I discovered Goulet's random vial of ink, $1 for InkDrop members. I have ordered 4 so far... I have an ink problem.

milpreve fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 31, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I really like this old noodlers pen that I bought for a few bucks used. It's one of these eye droppers that you only get when you order a bottle of ink like Nikita.

I use mine as a dedicated BSB pen and with the fine nib it doesn't even feather on newspaper paper and dries instantly, it's a real good combo for "official" writing, filling out forms, signatures and the like. It had starting problems but I took it apart and cleaned it good, it was caked with dried old ink, setting the nib and feed differently also helped I think.

I'm not sure they come with the inks anymore, based on product pictures they got some other pen instead now that isn't as nice looking. Which is too bad as it's a genuinely nice pen.

I also got my pilot penmanship and I am quite impressed by that pen as well, at least the nib, it's really nice extra fine. I use it with X-feather and that's another super solid combo for official paperwork.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Oh Exploitable posted:

So my Metro decided to explode today.
I've been away for Christmas and haven't used my pens in about a week. It got really loving cold here yesterday/today (in the negatives oh boy), and when I took out my metro to use it before lunch it threw up ink all over my hands. I can't actually get the barrel to come apart at the moment to check - I think even after wiping it off, the pen is still too greasy from the ink to turn. The pen is only 4 months old or so, so I don't think the bladder itself is broken. Is this just something that happens when the temperature hits extremes and I'll have to get used to, or is the cold just really bad for my pens and I should protect them from it more?
Is there a chance your pens froze? If so, you might want to check out the Noodlers Polar range.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

One Swell Foop posted:

Is there a chance your pens froze? If so, you might want to check out the Noodlers Polar range.

If it gets really cold and your pen is mostly empty and nib down for a moment when you take it, lots of really cold air will expand from the hand's heat and push out ink (even upwards, once the feed is wet).
Some pens can deal with this without problems, others will spit ink.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I mostly lurk this thread because I use fountain pens but don't have 50, however I do have a question re:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Other things that can cause an inky mess ... air pressure changes, like flying or a sudden catastrophic change in barometric pressure.
I have flow countless times with a pen in my pocket or in my jacket and never had a cartridge explode, is this common? Should I be removing the cartridges when I fly to be extra sure?

Am I just playing a numbers game until I have a suit be ruined :ohdear:

Oh Exploitable
May 1, 2013
Neat, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to start leaving one pen at home and one at work until winter is over.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I mostly lurk this thread because I use fountain pens but don't have 50, however I do have a question re:

I have flow countless times with a pen in my pocket or in my jacket and never had a cartridge explode, is this common? Should I be removing the cartridges when I fly to be extra sure?

Am I just playing a numbers game until I have a suit be ruined :ohdear:

It's best to fly either with full ink (only little air expansion) or without ink.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Hello fountain pen thread,
I decided to start reading this on a whim, because I really love office supplies and I used to have a fountain pen and it made me feel cool and special. Well....for some reason I decided I wouldn't post until I had finished reading the thread. Now I own:

Lamy Safari (Matte Charcoal, currently inked with 54th Massachusetts)
4 Preppy eye-drop converters (the one that came with my bottle of HOD, and a red (Tiananmen), blue (Ottoman Azure), and green (Private Reserve Sherwood), that I converted myself)
1 Preppy that still takes cartridges (b/c the ones I bought from Goulet came with matching cartridges and uh...can't waste that ink! Currently using Blue-Black)
The ink samples currently in the preppies + Diamine Amazing Amythest

.... After that order I swore I wouldn't buy more until I had written at least one pen out of ink, and at last I did! (The Safari cartridge that came with the pen), so I got:

Noodler's Ahab, the package set which came with the Rhodia dot pad and Black Swan in English Roses.

... Held out almost through one filling of the Ahab before ordering:

Nooder's Konrad
Noodler's Nib Creaper
Goulet's package set of best selling Iroshizuku ink samples
Sample of Iroshizuku Kiri Same (Autumn Shower)
Sample of Iroshizuku Syo-Ru (Dew on Pine Tree)

Swore I only needed one more pen: a vintage super-flex nib.... But then I saw the Pilot Kakuno with the smiley face and so even though I haven't even received my last order, well... Jet pens has free shipping on orders over $25, so I decided to throw a Pilot Metropolitan in the cart, too.

So uh, yeah, I still definitely need a vintage super-flex or wet-noodle nib pen, but i don't know the best way to go about finding one. Suggestions? I'm kind of intimidated by the idea of buying one online since there seems to be so many different kinds and such variations in price/quality. I'm going to try to make it to the next SF Pen Posse meet and maybe try some out there.

Also I probably need some more ink.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
On the default ink converter in the Pilot Metropolitans:

Verdugo posted:

It's all friction fit. The cartridge should pull right out from the "bottom" , along with the nib and feed from the "top."

I'm a big stupid baby, and I have no idea what this means. Is there a specific angle I should be pulling on the converter from or something? It feels like it's really stuck in there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KiloVictorDongs posted:

On the default ink converter in the Pilot Metropolitans:

I'm a big stupid baby, and I have no idea what this means. Is there a specific angle I should be pulling on the converter from or something? It feels like it's really stuck in there.

Friction fit means it's just stuck in there like you'd wedge a banana in a tailpipe. No threading or hooks or clasps, but try twisting a bit as that could help bust it free.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

If it's friction fit, you should pull it straight down, parallel to the pen body. You may be able to give it a little twist as you pull to help it come out, or try running it under warm water to free it up. Do it over the sink just in case it spits at you.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

So uh, yeah, I still definitely need a vintage super-flex or wet-noodle nib pen, but i don't know the best way to go about finding one. Suggestions? I'm kind of intimidated by the idea of buying one online since there seems to be so many different kinds and such variations in price/quality. I'm going to try to make it to the next SF Pen Posse meet and maybe try some out there.

Also I probably need some more ink.

Peyton Street Pens. It's "local" to your area. One of the guys here who also posts in the SF Pen Posse on fb has bought a nice flexy vintage from her I think.

From what I understand she has amazing customer service and is a super cool person. She posts on the SF Pen Posse on Facebook under Terri Morris. I wound up buying a vintage Pilot from her eBay store today.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/Peyton-Street-Pens

In other pen stuff, I finally got my first non cheapo fountain pen all together -- it's a TWSBI Diamond 540 in amber. It came with a "B" nib when I received it, but I spoke with their customer service department and they agreed to exchange the unsused B nib for an F! As an added bonus, it's a Bock nib.

This is my "nice" pen that I can see if I can keep up with before I spend cash on a vintage pen. I do a significant amount of writing at work and my Noodler's Konrad sucks even with a non flexy nib.

VVVV Wow. That's almost 1,000 USD -- what a mark up! Must be nice. I say, pick up a few at $170 in the states, resell them to him for $500 a pop, pocket the difference and buy a crazy nice pen.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 3, 2014

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I went to an antique/fancy pen shop while on vacation in London today. Inquired about a Parker 75 since I have been eBay stalking them and knew they were in my price range. This store had them priced at £595. :wtc:

I get that in store will always have a markup but ~5 times the price of eBay? I politely said I may come back later. I'm wishing now I'd let them know how ridiculous that price was.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Look what came in the mail yesterday! :D

I got this in fine, and I just love the line variation with the gold nib!

Also, I noticed that the pen is still well balanced when the cap is posted, will that ruin the body at all? Anything else I should know about owning this pen?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Also, I noticed that the pen is still well balanced when the cap is posted, will that ruin the body at all? Anything else I should know about owning this pen?

Congratulations! Pelikans are very nice pens!

Posting is fine, though be careful as the caps can be quite fragile and will split if you press them on too hard. I've had to send mine back due to a cracked cap before. Though an upshot of that is the customer service is fantastic too!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking for some new ink to put in my Lamy 2000 with EF nib. The noodler and private reserve inks I've used write too wet from the Lamy so I'm trying to find a different manufacturer. I have some Waterman blue that writes well, but it's not a very pretty color. A dusty purple would be nice, or maybe some interesting shade of green.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

What Pelikan model is this?

powderific posted:

Looking for some new ink to put in my Lamy 2000 with EF nib. The noodler and private reserve inks I've used write too wet from the Lamy so I'm trying to find a different manufacturer. I have some Waterman blue that writes well, but it's not a very pretty color. A dusty purple would be nice, or maybe some interesting shade of green.

Diamine Eclipse is a very dark purple ink that behaves well. Noodler's Zhivago is a black ink with interesting green highlights hidden in it, it also behaves well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Noodler's Purple Heart is a good dusty purple, Private Reserve Avacado is a nice deep green with a touch of brown.