Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
pkd's women are usually poorly written but not terrible, but then he wrote 'the transmigration of timothy archer' and the protagonist of that was really good I think. it's been a while since i read it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i feel a fair amount of bad female character-ness is not out-and-out vindictive on the part of the author it's just that they don't get that women are also hu-man

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pick posted:

i feel a fair amount of bad female character-ness is not out-and-out vindictive on the part of the author it's just that they don't get that women are also hu-man

But they all have all these boobs and butts and weird hormone thingies! Clearly another species.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick have you ever read any of the Culture novels? I'm curious as to what you think of Banks' female characters. On the one hand they tend to each have their own personality and are often main characters to the plot, on the other they also almost always tend to be ultra-smart, sex-positive superwomen even by Culture standards. It's a weird case beyond Whedon where I'm not sure if the positive portrayals are a good thing or a bad thing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

vaguely posted:

saying that 99% of [genre] is terrible isn't that controversial; 99% of absolutely everything is terrible

Actually yes, I think this more accurate.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 5, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Enfys posted:

I'm certainly not wanting to say that these are the best genres or the only genres or whatever - it's the incredibly extreme hyperbole of 'these things are 99% without any merit and all terrible people' that is pretty ridiculous. A lot of the ones that become popular and mainstream have some awful aspects, but that's because what is popular and mainstream has some awful aspects, and those same criticisms apply to ANY fiction.

For real just read my last post ffs

mind the walrus posted:

To be totally and 100% fair "genre fiction" is often also used as a pejorative and idiots conflate the genre trappings with the capacity for literary merit, forgetting at the very least Sturgeon's Law and at most that content and form are two different things.

Yeah, but that wasn't my intention and I wish people would give others the benefit of the doubt.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Michelle West does a good job in my opinion and I thought all of the characters were generally interesting.

The Hunters Oath and The Hunters Death were her first books in the world she created and she followed it up with The Sun Sword series. The last book sort of rushes to finish up the stories though and feels like she was being pressured by the publishers to finish. One main storyline just sort of ends abruptly and the focus shifts to a big final battle of sorts to resolve one of the other overarching storylines.

Edit: I guess she's actually Michele Segara and published in the 90s under a westernized name.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 5, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Yeah, but that wasn't my intention and I wish people would give others the benefit of the doubt.

It's cool with me. As a former GENRE FICTION FAN DEFENDER it's hard not to kneejerk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

If you would like some examples of specifically women authors: Connie Willis, Nnedi Okorafor (who I recommend especially because I know people have asked in the past about wanting to read more black lady authors), Lauren Beukes, Justina Robson (Silver Screen made a few waves recently), Nancy Kress and Lois McMaster Bujold. I'm probably forgetting a couple.

Willis, Bujold, Kress, and Robson are sci-fi authors and I was explicitly talking about fantasy, since I think there's more good sci-fi than fantasy, and well predating these folks (Alice Sheldon etc, or gently caress Canvendish's Blazing World which is argued to perhaps be the first sci-fi novel). I haven't read anything by Okorafor or Beukes.

Furthermore, what I've been complaining about in regards to fantasy is pretty specific to things that think they're set in the past but really aren't, and use this status as an excuse. Most sci-fi is not applicable there.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mind the walrus posted:

It's cool with me. As a former GENRE FICTION FAN DEFENDER it's hard not to kneejerk.

Yeah, it just kind of bemuses me when I've read the Wheel of Time series and all manner of fantasy/sci-fi schlock and enjoyed it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i read wheel of time

and i even enjoyed and honestly think parts of it were good

but i would NEVER suggest another human being read it thatd be mean

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been recommended Wheel of Time a bunch but every time I read a synopsis my eyes just glaze over and I'm all "uggggggggggggggggggggg"

I've got a much higher tolerance to sci-fi bullshit because at least when the authors go on stupid tangents from their wooden and unrealistic characters it's usually on some grognard poo poo the author autistically loves and I can pretend to have learned something from the experience.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

Lay some examples on us then, other than Prachett, Mieville, or Abercrombie.

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh le guin muuuuuuuuuuuch??????????????

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh le guin muuuuuuuuuuuch??????????????

earthsea sux

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

earthsea sux

try some of her normal adult stuff, not just the young adult

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
football owns alex smith wooooo

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I just read The Night Land and the first half was absolutely fabulous and then the second half was horrible boring misogynist garbage

If you ever read it stop exactly halfway through

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
http://msagarawest.wordpress.com/bibliography/the-sun-sword/ Eees good.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
David Weber writes some decently enjoyable fantasy and sci fi, it gets a little right wingy sometimes but it's mild enough to roll your eyes at and move past. Decent portrayal of ladies from what I remember, though he does tend to default to 'is a horrible rapey misogynistic rapist" when he wants you to hate someone.
(e: I mean its like, oh this already defined bad dude also did that? Just like the last five bad dudes? Okay....)

I have never read anything by Bujold that wasn't at the very least p darn good.

Zeth fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

who else read the his dark materials trilogy as a kid and thought it was super amazing and then reread it as an adult and went "mehhhh"

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Portals posted:

who else read the his dark materials trilogy as a kid and thought it was super amazing and then reread it as an adult and went "mehhhh"

not me on either count

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

I lost the subtle knife E: nope, Amber Spyglass. (or my kids did) and I have not completed it. But if it were that awesome I would have tried harder, so meh.

Opinions on Marion Zimmer Bradley? I read all of her books one deployment, but haven't read any since. Being alone with 300 other people that you don't like and no internet that much makes the escapism of any book seem more awesome.

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 5, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I really liked The Mists of Avalon, but hated the other book I read by her, whose name escapes me. I have a fairly low tolerance to New Age-y stuff, though.

It's not fantasy, but read The Crimson Petal and the White, it's so good

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crow Jane posted:

It's not fantasy, but read The Crimson Petal and the White, it's so good

This, it's a long book but it's really really good. Also I recently read Beloved for the first time and holy poo poo :stare:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

HopperUK posted:

This, it's a long book but it's really really good. Also I recently read Beloved for the first time and holy poo poo :stare:

It sounds all "Insanity of Mary Girard" if that were more than a One-Act play. I shall look into it. But Beloved, not so much. Unless it somehow got better. I'm reading "Under The Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader" right now. I'm kind of fascinated by NK.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

poopkitty posted:

It sounds all "Insanity of Mary Girard" if that were more than a One-Act play. I shall look into it. But Beloved, not so much. Unless it somehow got better. I'm reading "Under The Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader" right now. I'm kind of fascinated by NK.

Nothing to Envy is pretty good too, though apparently you and I are book opposites so maybe not :ohdear:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Crimson Petal and the White deals with some really grim, incredibly well-researched subject matter, and somehow manages to be hilarious while doing so. I think it helps if you've read a lot of Gothic literature and/or Dickens, but it's a peach of a book in it's own right as well.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

HopperUK posted:

Nothing to Envy is pretty good too, though apparently you and I are book opposites so maybe not :ohdear:

I read that Monday. (And she references Fatherly Leader in it, hence.) We are not opposites. More recs, plz!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Portals posted:

Well, I haven't reread it as an adult, but I'm guessing it would be disappointing now. But then I remember seeing the movie and wondering how anyone could make a giant polar bear battle that boring.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 5, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

poopkitty posted:

I read that Monday. (And she references Fatherly Leader in it, hence.) We are not opposites. More recs, plz!

It's not about NK but rather China, but 'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang is really excellent. It's the story of her grandmother, who was concubine to a warlord as a young woman, her mother, who worked for Mao for a time, and herself.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

HopperUK posted:

It's not about NK but rather China, but 'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang is really excellent. It's the story of her grandmother, who was concubine to a warlord as a young woman, her mother, who worked for Mao for a time, and herself.

Sounds good. I watched Every Seventh Person (documentary) last night, about Chinese farmers. Good stuff.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I work with some people who grew up during the Great Leap Forward and it is really interesting to hear them tell stories of having to relocate to farms in the middle of nowhere. One of them is sick of eggs now because they had to raise chickens and he would eat sneak and eat the eggs too much.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
My friend got me Doomsday Book for Christmas but I haven't gotten to read it yet. Any good?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Fruity Gordo posted:

if some idiot ripped my clothes i would loving shank them

anyway, came here to post that there is a huntsman who's been hanging around my flat for a few months eating all the mosquitos and fruit flies (i named her sadie, she's cool), and i got home from a day out with my dad and found sadie drinking out of my cat's water bowl :3: goode spidere

Did you name her after http://youtu.be/r0c55lXRAeg ?

(Yes I skipped like 300 posts I'll get to y'all in a bit)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Portals posted:

i really liked the first one and the subtle knife, but i read half of amber spyglass and got confused and annoyed because it was about some random lady and dust and i was like "what is this" and gave up partway in. i haven't tried again as an adult though so i don't know if i'd like it any better or end up even less impressed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
genre fantasy is ok if it manages rise above its bad baseline or walliows in what it does well and ignores entirely what it does not

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
skeletons are the new man

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

LA times reporting on breaking important news: dogs align themselves with the magnetic field to poo

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dogs-poop-compass-magnetic-field-earth-20140103,0,6764603.story#axzz2pUZ4TYUV

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

That is some hard hitting journalism right there. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

My friend got me Doomsday Book for Christmas but I haven't gotten to read it yet. Any good?
Good but very depressing, don't read when sad or alone late at night. Or when sick

• Locked thread