Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been sort of scrounging for Seinen picks lately since I'm up to date with everything (especially given how slow some of these series are uploaded), sort of unwisely going into the unexplored wilderness that exists outside of goon recommendations. There's a lot of really loved series that get recommended that I've never been able to get into, mostly because of art style, like Cesare and Dorohedoro (this is also true of older manga so old that it shows in the visual style and Nihei manga, it's shallow of me but I can't help it, I'll push through them at some point when I'm desperate enough for something to read).
There's also a bunch of really lauded series I keep "meaning to" get into but have never stuck (for some reason I dropped out of Soil and can't ever get too far through Akumetsu). I did at least finally take the dive into Otoyomegatari and it was obviously worthwhile, though that's a story for the historical manga thread.
I also read National Quiz, really fell in love with the humor and art style but drat that ending was pretty anti-climactic and abrupt.
Mostly been picking at scraps. Montage seems promising and I've finally caught up to Himizu and bookmarked it (the guy's other manga Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy series of all time).
I did just find a series I think is particularly promising, though I was initially unsure whether it was technically seinen since if it were I would have assumed I'd hear about it in one of these Seinen threads here already. Not sure what magazine it's published in, it's got some Shounen vibes sometimes but Seinen brutality (and at times) depth. At the very least I found myself rapidly hooked and interested in the first couple chapters, something that rarely happens when I'm picking through Seinen scraps.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I've been sort of scrounging for Seinen picks lately since I'm up to date with everything (especially given how slow some of these series are uploaded), sort of unwisely going into the unexplored wilderness that exists outside of goon recommendations. There's a lot of really loved series that get recommended that I've never been able to get into, mostly because of art style, like Cesare and Dorohedoro (this is also true of older manga so old that it shows in the visual style and Nihei manga, it's shallow of me but I can't help it, I'll push through them at some point when I'm desperate enough for something to read).
There's also a bunch of really lauded series I keep "meaning to" get into but have never stuck (for some reason I dropped out of Soil and can't ever get too far through Akumetsu). I did at least finally take the dive into Otoyomegatari and it was obviously worthwhile, though that's a story for the historical manga thread.
I also read National Quiz, really fell in love with the humor and art style but drat that ending was pretty anti-climactic and abrupt.
Mostly been picking at scraps. Montage seems promising and I've finally caught up to Himizu and bookmarked it (the guy's other manga Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy series of all time).
I did just find a series I think is particularly promising, though I was initially unsure whether it was technically seinen since if it were I would have assumed I'd hear about it in one of these Seinen threads here already. Not sure what magazine it's published in, it's got some Shounen vibes sometimes but Seinen brutality (and at times) depth. At the very least I found myself rapidly hooked and interested in the first couple chapters, something that rarely happens when I'm picking through Seinen scraps.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

I just started on Montage as well after realizing it was the guy that did Rock n Roll Ricky. Go read that if you haven't.

Otherwise I've been enjoying:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hito-Hitori-Futari
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Until-Death-Do-Us-Part
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Team-Medical-Dragon

I guess just check the synopses on these and see if they strike your fancy. I don't like the stuff that is just trying to be gore all the time, or just outright sex and fanservice constantly. The above don't really go too far into either of those and I've liked them.

The synopsis for Hito Hitori Futari doesn't do it justice, makes it sound like some shounen school story and it's anything but. It's more political intrigue and a lot about Fukushima now etc.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Tokyo Ghoul is seinin. A quick check of its category labels on other sites confirms that. You can also find it on Batoto here. And I suggest getting used to the art styles you can't stand, but I know everyone can have their own little quirks. For example, I sometimes have a hard time getting into Tezuka, though I've really enjoyed some of his works.

Most of what I would recommend's covered in this thread, but there's always Death Sweeper if you don't mind general grossness (it's about a business that cleans up heavily rotted dead body remnants).

This is kinda an odd and random pick, but there're Kutsuzure Sensen and Gun and Stamps. I don't recall thsoe being discussed in this thread. They're both filled with military geekiness, black humor, and cute character designs. Kutsuzure Sensen's set in WWII and is about a witch who gets recruited into the Russian army (with plenty of inherent black humor), while Gun and Stamps is about a rather by-the-book logistics officer's misadventures in an alternative history setting. I don't know if they'd be to people's tastes, but I like them for the black humor I keep talking about.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I loved your description of Kutsuzure Sensen and Gun and Stamps but the art style is really not my bag.

I'm curious about mangas set outside Japan or featuring non-Japanese characters prominently. Is there a manga with a black protagonist, for instance? I really enjoyed the continental European setting of Monster/the globetrotting in Master Keaton.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Until Death Do Us Part and keep up with it religiously, but the plot starts to really meander after a couple of guys get introduced as crossovers from other manga. I like them and ended up reading what I could find translated of their manga though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I loved your description of Kutsuzure Sensen and Gun and Stamps but the art style is really not my bag.

I'm curious about mangas set outside Japan or featuring non-Japanese characters prominently. Is there a manga with a black protagonist, for instance? I really enjoyed the continental European setting of Monster/the globetrotting in Master Keaton.

BLASTER KNUCKLE

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everything Burrito posted:

I love Until Death Do Us Part and keep up with it religiously, but the plot starts to really meander after a couple of guys get introduced as crossovers from other manga. I like them and ended up reading what I could find translated of their manga though.

Ha. I did the same thing.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Me and the Devil Blues

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I have similar issues with you regarding art style, I know I'd love Dorohedoro for example but I just can't get over the beginning yet and ran through Blame! on fast-forward.

I think you should give Knights of Sidonia a chance though, it's very different from other Nihei manga and quickly became one of my favourites. You just need to get used to paying attention to people's haircuts since faces are mostly the same but otherwise the art supports the story very well.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I'm getting the same warm feelings I did when I read the KKK plotline in Preacher back in the day.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Me and the Devil Blues
This looks great as well.

Cheers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

I have similar issues with you regarding art style, I know I'd love Dorohedoro for example but I just can't get over the beginning yet and ran through Blame! on fast-forward.

Dorohedoro art both improves and grows on you after a while. At least people stop having tiny, tiny heads that are 1/5 as wide as their shoulders.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked
New Suicide Island.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Suicide-Island/Vol-008-Ch-071--Future?id=183252

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was actually going to post whether Suicide Island had gone on hiatus or had been dropped by the people scanlating it, what a nice surprise. :3:

Well, nice surprise...initially, of course. With what's happening in the latest two chapters, well, I'm really wondering where it's going to go from here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any good, high-tension drama/mystery/whatever manga that are not weirdly fetishistic with any horror that might get involved?

Captain Invictus posted:

I was actually going to post whether Suicide Island had gone on hiatus or had been dropped by the people scanlating it, what a nice surprise. :3:

Well, nice surprise...initially, of course. With what's happening in the latest two chapters, well, I'm really wondering where it's going to go from here.

Not really a spoiler, but for people who didn't notice the next chapters include "Intruder" "Assassin" and "premonition of battle" so I'll guess for the short term, things'll get tough. :ohdear:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Anatharon posted:

Are there any good, high-tension drama/mystery/whatever manga that are not weirdly fetishistic with any horror that might get involved?

not much currently ongoing, checking through my RSS list I see only Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Soil

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I can't really imagine Cesare's art style being a turn off. I guess maybe the bishonen characters but the creator's style has evolved far past standard sparkly pretty boy stuff so it's not off putting imo and her locales are goddamn gorgeous.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vesi posted:

I think you should give Knights of Sidonia a chance though, it's very different from other Nihei manga and quickly became one of my favourites. You just need to get used to paying attention to people's haircuts since faces are mostly the same but otherwise the art supports the story very well.

Every now and then I check to see whether someone has translated the latest volume, but no joy so far. At least the official volumes are coming out at a good rate. Perhaps there'll be renewed interest once the anime comes out next spring.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I'm really excited for the Sidonia anime. The second trailer looks really awesome. I'm sad now that I just finished all of Nihei's stuff. I want more damnit!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh Snapalope posted:

I'm really excited for the Sidonia anime. The second trailer looks really awesome. I'm sad now that I just finished all of Nihei's stuff. I want more damnit!

Could you either PM or link the trailers? Can't find anything on youtube.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

I'm not so sure about the trailer, Tanikaze looks grim instead of dopey and the pop music and voice acting gives it a more Macross feel. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle rather than generic space anime. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Every now and then I check to see whether someone has translated the latest volume, but no joy so far. At least the official volumes are coming out at a good rate. Perhaps there'll be renewed interest once the anime comes out next spring.

Looks like there are Chinese scanlations available if that is an option for anyone and you are willing to put up with the occasional awful game ad pop-up :china:. Just started reading it: First off kind cop out with the way he handled the confrontation between Nagate and Izana but it looks like we finally get a definitive answer as to what is causing Guana to attack: using higgs!!!.

Vesi posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

I'm not so sure about the trailer, Tanikaze looks grim instead of dopey and the pop music and voice acting gives it a more Macross feel. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle rather than generic space anime. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Really want this to do well, but it's not the way I was hoping they would go with adapting Nihei's art style, there is something just a little off with all the character art.

Also wondering how far they can get in the story in just 12 episodes...

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask, but I'm interested in starting to watch the Ghost in the Shell series but I have no idea where to start off. Any recommendations?

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask, but I'm interested in starting to watch the Ghost in the Shell series but I have no idea where to start off. Any recommendations?

I think maybe going by chronology of release might be a good guide, you can't go wrong with starting at the first movie, it's a classic and you will get to know most of the characters that I believe are then brought back in the series, then do the series, Stand alone complex.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Basically there are two continuities, there's the movie continuity which is just:

Ghost in the Shell
GitS 2: Innocence

And the TV series continuity, which is:

GitS: Stand Alone Complex (26 episode series)
GitS: SAC: 2nd GiG (26 episode series)
Solid State Society (TV movie)

I'd watch the movies first, then the TV stuff. Be warned that Innocence is generally considered the worst of it all, so don't let that put you off the TV series. It is very pretty though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Stand Alone Complex is the most popular iteration of the franchise, and while I certainly won't discourage you from watching the movies since they're not bad I would at least say give the series a shot no matter what even if you don't care for the movies because SAC is really, really good. We had a simulwatch for it and everything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Whaaaaaaat?

Bambino's sequel has finally been picked up.

http://v16translations.wordpress.com/

Bambino was one of the best serious cooking manga I've ever read (not a lot of competition but still kept it serious with cooking technique etc) and it's sequel has just languished for years with no one picking it up. The series is completed (I think) so it could be finished fairly quickly (1-2 years) as long as this group doesn't give up halfway through.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pentyne posted:

Whaaaaaaat?

Bambino's sequel has finally been picked up.

http://v16translations.wordpress.com/

Bambino was one of the best serious cooking manga I've ever read (not a lot of competition but still kept it serious with cooking technique etc) and it's sequel has just languished for years with no one picking it up. The series is completed (I think) so it could be finished fairly quickly (1-2 years) as long as this group doesn't give up halfway through.
Was about ready to post this.

For some reason kissmanga classified it as "sci-fi". Does Bambi have to cook for aliens? Wouldn't surprise me after the dumb NYC arc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It'll be an arc about him working at El Bulli or the Fat Duck.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Welp, I hope people like it more than I did 'cause there's a reason I didn't continue working into the sequel. :frog:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Welp, I hope people like it more than I did 'cause there's a reason I didn't continue working into the sequel. :frog:

Care to let us know? I think you might have mentioned before that the constant use of Italian made translations hell to figure out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My guess is probably the series runs out of steam as far as twists go since they burned up all the sensible stuff in the original, to the point of Ban having a cooking competition with the Italian mob in NYC with his only ally being a Hispanic chef named COYOTE BLADES. It probably gets retarded past some point?

They've had a death of a fellow employee, a fellow employee having to quit for personal reasons, Ban's GF getting married, Ban trying like every other job in the stupid restaurant, the initial learning curve, various minor fuckups, and now Ban going to a new restaurant.

Ban could get that repetitive stress injury, or the new place could start failing, or lovely critics as implied by the first new chapter. The rest has all kinda been done already; including newer employees feeling like Ban is making GBS threads on them for correcting their mistakes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What about the antagonist being made of sentient bread? Has it done that yet?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I started reading Bambino and enjoyed it, but haven't gone back to read more of it yet due to time. Out of curiosity, did anyone watch the J-Drama they made of it, and if so, how does it compare?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

pentyne posted:

Care to let us know? I think you might have mentioned before that the constant use of Italian made translations hell to figure out.

I talked about it briefly a few months ago in this thread so you can look that up through my post history if you want. It's behind spoiler tags. To say it even more succinctly, though, I didn't like the way the art evolved, I didn't like the direction the story took, and I felt the mangaka let his real world political beliefs show through a bit strongly considering it's supposed to be a manga about cooking the foods.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I've gone ahead and made a thread for Knights of Sidonia which is dope as hell.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601037

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Two more chapters of Immortal Hounds (that series where everyone is immortal and losing your immortality is a communicable disease). The action sequences are pretty funny because nobody involved cares about dying: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Immortal-Hounds/Vol-001-Ch-004--Man--I-Really-Hate-Him?id=184790

I guess the vectors come from our world or something since the police don't seem to know what the word "dentist" means. That certainly explains why they want immortality, but not why they need to get rid of 3 immortals first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It also explains how they know they're vectors in the first place and have to use fake IDs/backgrounds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, how about that. Immortal Hounds isn't a one-trick pony, it seems. Looks like I'll be sticking with it because it actually seems to be going in an interesting direction!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm curious as to what the motivations of the Escape Artist and vectors are. What another poster said about maybe being from our world/a world without immortality might be one direction that would give them a motive for infecting people (which sounds like a pretty time-consuming affair that requires getting close to someone over at least several months and making them love you). That would make that one guy's rant in (I think) chapter 2 about how "we're people too!" sort of strange, though, if going to the immortality world was something optional. Also there's the matter of the Escape Artist's strange ribbon tentacles and being able to make people forget her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Honestly, I figure the reason the dentist thing works is because with how immortality is depicted here, you'd blow of your head to fix your mouth as opposed to going to a dentist. The medical profession doesn't seem all that useful when you can cure everything with death.