Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think that excess material is called "flash". You can get most of it with clippers, or a hobby knife if you're careful. Some spots are way harder to get rid of than others, like on the inside of curves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Flash is the plastic seam left on parts when the halves of the mold are pulled apart. Those are just nubs or leftover gate.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Didn't really have a better term for the "caps" to the leg's solar panels. Though like Caros said, it's all over the kit. Darker plastics just have really bad nubs, it's unavoidable.

quote:

This was my first time just clipping out parts then cutting them down with an xacto knife so advice on doing that right would be great because I sucked with it.

To be honest my advice would be to sand, but if that's not feasible the key to trimming with a hobby knife is to lay the blade as flat as you can on the plastic and slowly trim the nub. You need to be very careful not to gouge out any plastic (the main disadvantage hobby knives have compared to sanding), and the end result should hopefully be a faint outline of where the nub used to be. Scratch that with your fingernail until the friction makes it look less obvious, then call it a day unless you want to paint.

quote:

How do you weld the seams?

Get plastic cement, apply it to the area where the pieces contact each other, then press the pieces together. Apply pressure for a bit, then let it sit aside for a while. Finish by sanding/trimming away any cement that might have oozed out. It's basically like you were super gluing the pieces, only you're using plastic cement.

I recommend using Tamiya's cement, both because you get a brush and because there are two kinds. The regular cement should be what you start with, and then once that's done you go back over the seam with the Extra Thin variety to fix up anything left.

As a warning; before you seam weld, make absolutely certain you are done with the piece and haven't hosed anything up. It's pretty drat hard, if not impossible, to pull apart two pieces that have been welded together.

quote:

Also I really hate to be that guy, but is there a way to do a charge back on a store, because I recieved some stuff broken and contacted them to see if I could just get a refund applied to a more expensive item and no word back after almost a week.

Check the store's policy on refunds. And make sure you have proof that the runners were broken in the box.

You're not really likely to get a refund though.

muike posted:

Flash is the plastic seam left on parts when the halves of the mold are pulled apart. Those are just nubs or leftover gate.

You're correct in that they're called nubs, but flash is actually just excess plastic on the piece due to a bad/old mold. You'll see a lot of them on resin kits or old MGs.

The seam you're talking about is just a mold line.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 4, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Another thing to do to get rid of nubs is to drag your knife over the spot almost vertical, it'll level out the plastic and not take too much with it, and get rid of the discolouration.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Also I really hate to be that guy, but is there a way to do a charge back on a store, because I recieved some stuff broken and contacted them to see if I could just get a refund applied to a more expensive item and no word back after almost a week.

Call the # on your card and tell them your NEW item arrived broken. Explain that you made a reasonable effort to contact the seller with no response. Any CC or bank worth anything should refund you on the spot and then investigate the claim with the seller

I have had to do this on charges as much as $700 when sellers wont communicate. They never win as long as you are telling the whole story

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Call the # on your card and tell them your NEW item arrived broken. Explain that you made a reasonable effort to contact the seller with no response. Any CC or bank worth anything should refund you on the spot and then investigate the claim with the seller

I have had to do this on charges as much as $700 when sellers wont communicate. They never win as long as you are telling the whole story

Alright much appreciated. I contacted Robot4less a few times and gave it a bit of extra time because of the holidays, but especially since I'm offering to purchase a new, more expensive item and my gunpla pen came snapped in half, my patience is running thin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Alright much appreciated. I contacted Robot4less a few times and gave it a bit of extra time because of the holidays, but especially since I'm offering to purchase a new, more expensive item and my gunpla pen came snapped in half, my patience is running thin.

I'd give the store a phone call if you haven't yet. R4L has been pretty reasonable with dead on arrival items for me, but contacting them over the internet was much slower than getting them on the phone and sorting it out (took like a week over email vs. about 5 minutes on the phone).

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Midjack posted:

I'd give the store a phone call if you haven't yet. R4L has been pretty reasonable with dead on arrival items for me, but contacting them over the internet was much slower than getting them on the phone and sorting it out (took like a week over email vs. about 5 minutes on the phone).

I've tried that too and went straight to answering machine. I'm gonna give both another shot tomorrow and go from there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

You're correct in that they're called nubs, but flash is actually just excess plastic on the piece due to a bad/old mold. You'll see a lot of them on resin kits or old MGs.

The seam you're talking about is just a mold line.
Thanks for the correction, that's actually a more important distinction to me to remember than I would've thought a few years ago.

Anyway speaking of store annoyances, Hobbwave are on vacation until the fifth which means I'm going to have to wait like another week before I get the poo poo I ordered last week.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I've tried that too and went straight to answering machine. I'm gonna give both another shot tomorrow and go from there.

That surprises me - all three times I've been there in person I've had to wait to pay while guy at the cash register has been finishing up with someone who called so I'd expect the phone to be answered. That said, the guy at the cash register has been a different high school aged guy every time, and he's also been by himself and trying to help people in the store while also managing the register and phone so you may be having bad luck.

In any case you've definitely made a good faith effort to contact them.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Midjack posted:

That surprises me - all three times I've been there in person I've had to wait to pay while guy at the cash register has been finishing up with someone who called so I'd expect the phone to be answered. That said, the guy at the cash register has been a different high school aged guy every time, and he's also been by himself and trying to help people in the store while also managing the register and phone so you may be having bad luck.

In any case you've definitely made a good faith effort to contact them.

At this point I'm just going for a refund. I was going to put that money towards a HG DX, but since I found one today at hobbytown for 20 out the door, I'm just getting my money back.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about Robots4Less and their prices aren't even that good, so i dunno if there's any real reason to use them.

Hobbywave sent me a $75 kit with a box that had somehow been badly crushed before it was even packed and refused to respond to my emails so gently caress 'em.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bimmi posted:

This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about Robots4Less and their prices aren't even that good, so i dunno if there's any real reason to use them.

Hobbywave sent me a $75 kit with a box that had somehow been badly crushed before it was even packed and refused to respond to my emails so gently caress 'em.

Honestly I just prefer Amazon but they had a sale on and I took advantage of it. Shame shipping wound up negating that sale.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've had good results with hobbywave every time, but the fact that they are constantly sold out of kits is a real annoyance.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I've had good results with hobbywave every time, but the fact that they are constantly sold out of kits is a real annoyance.

That was my issue with Gundam Store and More. That and I paid them for parts and never got them or a response back.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I only ever buy kits from HLJ or Amazon if it's something I can get for like 10 bucks (e.g. clanche custom, g bouncer, g xiphos)

e: and I think I ordered from 1999.co.jp before too, they're also good and so is amiami

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

I only ever buy kits from HLJ or Amazon if it's something I can get for like 10 bucks (e.g. clanche custom, g bouncer, g xiphos)

e: and I think I ordered from 1999.co.jp before too, they're also good and so is amiami

Amazon has some really good deals every now and then, plus prime gives me free 2 day shipping so there's that. I like my local Hobbytown, but them keeping things in stock never happens.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would go to Hobbytown all the time if the nearest one wasn't two hours away.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

It really makes me sad, because myself and best friend are the only real people who purchase Gunpla there so they barely keep stock. I wish it were as good as the Schaumberg location that I go to with my fiancee because that place is Gunpla heaven and also the only place I've ever seen stock a perfect grade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been getting my kits through Gundam Planet, they seem to be pretty good price and stock wise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess it's time for the store dump.

/toy/ posted:

Your Local Hobby Shop
Not all towns have one, but if yours does there’s no reason not to check it out. They might not sell Gunpla, but they’ll probably at least sell the tools.

Your Local Art Supplies Shop
Most towns at least have this, and they’re a great source for paints and tools.

AmiAmi
My favorite retailer. They consistently beat other retailers’ prices and they update their stock constantly. The only issue with them is that they are very popular and will run out of stock quickly. So if you really want something, pre-order it. I’ve had numerous orders from them and they always respond quickly to emails.

eBay
For those of you who visit us on /toy/, you may occasionally hear eBay as a suggested place to buy your plastic/resin crack. I’m sure you have your reservations, but it’s a good site to check if you are looking to buy one or two kits (especially if the person will combine shipping). Just make sure you know where your package is coming from and be sure to check the seller’s rating.

Amazon
Surprisingly, Amazon isn’t a bad place to look for gunpla either! However, you need to make sure you are buying from Amazon directly, not a store using Amazon. If you are buying it from Amazon, your shipping will be fairly cheap, and if you have Amazon Prime you can get free 2-day shipping. Just don’t expect cheap baseline prices.

Gundamstoreandmore
Something of a joke these days, considering they are out of stock for most new kits and update around three times a year. But if they do have something you’re interested in, it’s well worth buying from them since you can avoid international shipping. Also worth checking out for their weekly and monthly specials, which can be any number of things.

Hobbywave
Flat $12/$18 shipping fee and only for US/Canadian residents are all you need to know. Much better stock than GSAM (including tons of modeling supplies) and they actually update their website fairly often. Cheap prices too, though that’s offset by the shipping. They ship on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and allow you to add items to previous orders if they haven’t shipped yet.

Gundam Planet
Despite the name, they sell a ton of japanese toys. Their prices are pretty in line with Japan based companies. Shipping is either via USPS (pay by weight) or FedEx (pay by order value). Flat $9.99 for Fedex on orders less than $100, maximum of $18.95 charge for orders in excess of $300. Only thing to watch out for is that they will let you order backordered items currently, and they’ll hold your whole shipment until the backordered item is in (generally two weeks). They’ve got a pretty rad website design and open up their location on Fridays, Saturdays and restock days. Last time I went they had a few kits at reduced prices that they didn't put on the site because they came with damaged boxes from their shipment.

GGInfinite
Run by the guy from Gundam Guy. Generally has new kits within a reasonable time and is a good place to get exclusive kits like the GM Wagtail kit there. I have made multiple purchases and each one has been smooth and easy. Will honor some requests (I asked him to hold my order until all kits were in).

HobbySearch
Actually called 1999 in Japan (when you google hobby search, it pops up, it’s the right site). Being based in Japan gives them a massive advantage, the day a kit is released, it’s available for purchase and if you pre-ordered it, they’ll send you the bill. They have standard international shipping rates and the occasional sale on kits or shipping. I’ve had several good experiences with them and they respond well to emails.

HLJ
Hobby Link Japan is a great store for buying kits, figs and the like. Their best feature is known as the Private Warehouse. Simply put you can order a bunch of stuff and have it stored for you and then choose to ship it out in mass at a later date vastly reducing shipping costs. Their prices are generally great for models are average for other things. Combined with the shipping they can often be your best option for buying, especially if you are doing it in bulk.

Mandarake
A Japanese based site that sells many different items including gunpla. It’s good for some kits you can't find anywhere else, and not so good for regular kits you can find on AmiAmi discounted. Doesn't have a shipping calculator so make it 1000 yen for SAL ($12) and 1750 for EMS ($22) on a single HGUC package. It has a 500 yen ($6) handling fee if your order is under 5000 yen (~$60), so when estimating the shipping facture those 500 yen in that if you're ordering less than 5000 yen worth of stuff. (Thank you kind anon)
For best results, when searching use Japanese strings. Common phrases: ガンダム mg (Gundam mg), ガンダム hg (Gundam hg), ガンプラ (gunpla), プラモ (plamo), ROBOT魂 (Robot Damashii), Muv Luv: マブラヴ, Kotobukiya: コトブキヤ, Zoids: ゾイド (or HMM). If you need anything else, just google for it or ask in the thread.

Model Grade
California-based online retailer with decent prices and free (domestic) shipping on purchases over $150. They’re a good supply of Mr. Color, and they tend to have some webshop exclusives in stock too.

Robot4Less
The name is a lie. Almost everything is on sale, but their base prices are higher than other sites so everything’s actually more expensive. This makes them pricey for small order, but they’re decent to good for bulk orders. Why? 1) Free shipping within the US on orders over $100. 2)The coupon code BUY100 takes $20 any order over $100.

Tatsu Hobby
Another California-based online retailer. They have a wide range of items for good prices, and if you happen to live in the Bay Area they’ll waive shipping costs and let you go to their warehouse to pick up your order.

ToyArena
Riktasi says this is a decent US based store with good prices and a couple exclusives. You’ve probably run into them if you buy on eBay or Amazon since they’re pretty reliable sellers. Unfortunately their website design blows so just look for them on those two sites.

Zombster, for the Australians
I was told of this retailer during one of the Gunpla General threads. I don’t know much about them but the anon said it was his primary retailer.

Also a page or two back someone said all the HG SEED kits were bad. That's not true, Stargazer and M1 Astray were excellent. :colbert:

EDIT: Also Tatsu Hobby is starting up a parts order service. Who knows if Bandai will let them do it (and for that matter if the rumors of the upcoming online service are true), but the prices are pretty decent.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 4, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So, i started on the Fenice I got from Luminaflare, for Christmas.

drat these things are tiny fiddly pieces go everywhere ow my finger bags of fun. Gunpla owns, even if your motor skills are completely hosed.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They really were awesome :allears:. I think what made them so good was they actually tried to hammer out a basic set of physics for the GN Particles, rather than throw out bullshit as they went (like in Season 2). It made a lot of the Earth force's attacks a lot more clever when it's something like "we know GN particles jam radio transmissions, so we'll scatter a shitload of small transmitters over a wide area of space and see which stop transmitting" rather than just "get'cher guns boys, we're gonna go fly right at them Gundams and we'll win because Ace Officer No.31489 says we will by doing the same tactics as last time!"

Someone actually wrote a god drat essay on GN Physics

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So, this is about 2 hours of progress for me. gently caress those tiny stickers, seriously.
Still, i got the most fiddly bit out of the way i think. 8 Parts and 2 Stickers in just the head.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So, I dropped my Zaku Amazing when getting it out of the box to continue work on it and one of the clips on the missile pods broke. Is there a fix for it without glue? If not where can I get a replacement piece?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

So, this is about 2 hours of progress for me. gently caress those tiny stickers, seriously.
Still, i got the most fiddly bit out of the way i think. 8 Parts and 2 Stickers in just the head.

For stickers you should use tweezers or the blade of your hobby knife to apply them. Saves you a lot of hassle, and makes them easier to remove later if you ever want to just paint them.

I wish I could comment about the build but... well, the picture quality is kind of terrible. Try getting your camera to focus more next time. Anyways from what I can see there doesn't seem to be too many bad nubs, so that's good.

Luminaflare posted:

Is there a fix for it without glue? If not where can I get a replacement piece?

No, you'll have to glue/weld it back together. There used to be various parts replacement services in the US, but Bandai shut them all down for currently unknown reasons. I guess you could buy another Amazing Booster, but honestly it'll do you a lot more good in the long run to learn how to fix this stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Also a page or two back someone said all the HG SEED kits were bad. That's not true, Stargazer and M1 Astray were excellent. :colbert:

That was me. In my defense, I'll point out that the M1 was a new design they snuck into the SEED HG line when they did the HD re-release.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So yeah, first gunpla I ever did done!, It's not the greatest and i need to go back and clean up some bits that I missed. But I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out! Even managed to get all the stickers on. Took me about 6 hours to put together.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AzMiLion posted:

So yeah, first gunpla I ever did done!, It's not the greatest and i need to go back and clean up some bits that I missed. But I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out! Even managed to get all the stickers on. Took me about 6 hours to put together.

The best part about that kit is if you break something its canon.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What's that transparent thing attached to the left shoulder? Is that a beam cape?

VVVVVV

God drat, I think I have to stop putting off Build Fighters now.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well Manicured Man posted:

What's that transparent thing attached to the left shoulder? Is that a beam cape?

Yup, it also has an optional scooter like addition.
The fighter that owns it is Italian so he needed a Vespa for his MS you see. :v:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Fauxtool posted:

The best part about that kit is if you break something its canon.

It came with some of the Wing parts as well, might replace the V-fin with the classic yellow fin.

fake edit: no i won't cause it looks bad.

VVVVVV

God drat, I think I have to stop putting off Build Fighters now.

Yeah, It's a beam cape type deal, He's not used it that much yet. Still there's a bunch of great suits in Build Fighters and i't convincing people(like me!) to go build gunpla.

Slghtly less horrible shot of the Fenice, found a pose for it.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's a much better shot, but it'd do you some good to zoom in a little.

Full body shots look nice and all, but unless you have a really good spot for taking photos you'll end up with empty space cluttering most of the shot. Being able to see more detail on the kit more than makes up for whatever parts that end up out of frame too.

In other news, since my plaplate finally came in I'm starting work on that 00 grunt.

I've painted the GN drive I plan to use (aaaah that attempt at candy coating panel lines looks awful), and am halfway through modding the first of the 0 Raiser's binders. I will be incredibly surprised if the completed kit can even hold the drat thing without me topcoating the hell out of the wrist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've started painting the Unicorn Ka I completed a few months ago. I'm going to try spraying the backs of the psycoframe parts with the shiniest thing I can find and see what that does; if I don't like what happens I plan to candy coat the psycoframe and we'll see what we get. If I go that route this will be my first attempt at candying anything; I have the translucent sprues to practice on a bit before I commit to the parts.

I'm in disassembly right now; the only casualties so far are 1 peg on the bazooka and one of the details on the side skirts. The only thing I don't have apart yet are both legs.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I've finished my first Gunpla build, the Zaku Amazing, unfortunately they were a few breakages during construction, I don't have any sandpaper to polish up the filing with and I don't have my Gundam Markers yet so I used a Sakura Micron fine liner but overall I think it came out quite well for my first build.

Album full of progress shots.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

So I've finished my first Gunpla build, the Zaku Amazing, unfortunately they were a few breakages during construction, I don't have any sandpaper to polish up the filing with and I don't have my Gundam Markers yet so I used a Sakura Micron fine liner but overall I think it came out quite well for my first build.

Album full of progress shots.

Better than my first build. Admittedly mine was a MG, but that still looks drat good for a beginner. :)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Over Christmas, I bought the new HG Wing and Double X Gundams, and you know, the one thing I'm really digging about this new All Gundams thing is that they're making the parts so standardized, especially the joints, that you can swap parts and make your own (admittedly pretty simple) kitbashes so easily. I've experimented with swapping the Double X's waist and torso with the Wing's and the result turned out pretty neat--and the Wing Gundam's wings attached to the back of the Double X's torso a lot easier than I expected (although not so much the other way around, I guess the pegs connecting the Double X's lunar panels and satellite cannons to its torso are just different enough in size that it doesn't stay on the Wing Gundam's torso very well), and it still turns into Bird Mode pretty well.

I've also gotten the RG Freedom Gundam. I was a little worried since my first kit I ever built was the RG Zaku Custom and it's proven itself pretty fragile and a little hard to pose, but the Freedom was surprisingly stable and can pull off a wider range of motion than I was used to:

Right now I've got it in a sort of kung fu stance with one leg raised completely off the ground, which is something I could never picture my RG Zaku doing without an action base... although the Freedom's big ol' wings help it balance easier by acting like two legs of a tripod sort of thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Over Christmas, I bought the new HG Wing and Double X Gundams, and you know, the one thing I'm really digging about this new All Gundams thing is that they're making the parts so standardized, especially the joints, that you can swap parts and make your own (admittedly pretty simple) kitbashes so easily.

Yeah this was the main goal of All Gundam. Some of the Build Fighters kits are similarly compatible, though sadly the new Late UC kits don't really mesh that well due to their smaller stature. They still use the same polycaps at least, so if you mod the parts a little you can get it to work.

quote:

I've also gotten the RG Freedom Gundam. I was a little worried since my first kit I ever built was the RG Zaku Custom and it's proven itself pretty fragile and a little hard to pose, but the Freedom was surprisingly stable

Bandai was breaking new ground with the first two RGs, so they were pretty fragile. Everything since then has been much more stable, though to be honest the RG Freedom isn't actually all that hot balance-wise. If you keep the wings folded up like that it can do a lot of standing poses, but if you even try and open them you'll basically have to get an Action Base. Same goes for all of the other (mobile suit) RG SEED kits, the big old backpacks absolutely tank their balance.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You put that Feeedom in Full Burst Mode NOW young man. It's not piloted by Domon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Stupid question, is RG Freedom compatible with the HG Meteor packs?

• Locked thread