Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have played the Bravely Default demo and am now attempting to get the last bonus by leaving my 3DS in sleep mode all day (which is dumb but hey), and while I think the Brave/Default system is cool I do have a minor gripe with it. I full party wiped on the Minotaur twice. The problem is that apparently at a certain point (probably a percentage of his HP) he decides to burn his max amount of Brave charges, giving him four turns. He would inevitably use this to attack all of my party, which would immediately wipe everyone except for the White Mage (because of Angelic whatever). By the time I was able to resurrect my party with items/spells, he was back up to 0 BP and would again burn three Braves.

There didn't seem to be any way around this as one of his attacks is called Double Damage and was dealing 500-600 HP of damage on my Black Mage, who had like 390 HP max. It seems like the only way to avoid this is to waste your secondary slot on Miscellany (or use a Freelancer) and go into the fight once, determine about what percentage of HP he decides to go nuts on, and then have everyone Default that turn (which might not even be a guarantee he won't wipe the party anyway). I guess the other solution is either "grind a lot" or "waste time with the 3DS in sleep mode to build the armor store" but neither of these are really great solutions.

I dunno. I'm not bashing the game; I love the demo and it's a definite first day purchase for me, and I like the Brave/Default system a lot but it seems to have its problems if the enemy just decides to go "gently caress you" and give itself four turns at once with no real warning. I guess the solution would be to have the Brave/Default thing be for the PCs only, which I guess people wouldn't like and would be seen as "unfair" in a way, although giving enemies 500,000 HP when your max limit is 9999 is pretty unfair too but eh.

Something to keep in mind is that you can have up to 4 actions per turn and the least amount of BP you can have is -3. So if your white mage is the only one standing you can use brave to give them 3 actions that turn and revive everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Everyone thinks it's emo because all the expanded universe poo poo is the most dense, heavy garbage that you can see the black tears dripping from their game boxes. All of them, especially Advent Children, are so gloomy that it's messed with everyone's memories of the original. Most people these days only see Cloud in Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia, where he is the most insufferable baby. No one really goes back to replay 7 so they don't remember how he was just a weird guy who tries too hard to be 90's Cool.
I did play some of Crisis Core, but not a whole lot, so I didn't see Zak's death, which I'm sure is dark as hell. However, what I did see was an action rpg starring Sonic the Hedgehog, groups of women debate which soldier is the sexiest soldier, a soundscape littered with butt rock, and squats.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 5, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ojetor posted:

I used my Knight's 4 actions to cast Ironclad (+50% Phys Defense), the Samurai's Nothing Ventured (Halves physical damage and counters) and then Full Cover (Automatically block incoming attacks on targeted party member) on my Red and White Mages. Not only did the Knight mostly absorb all the damage, he actually got 3 double strength counterattacks thanks to Nothing Ventured.

I'm very impressed by the Bravely Default demo, can't wait for the full release.

That's what sold me on the demo (and the full game) - there are lots of ways to accomplish the same things. You don't have to stack the party with four Dual-wielding Rapid-firing Spellblades to be successful - you can be creative and synergize what's there and make a part that is unique and composed of different classes and still feel like a badass.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's so weird how the game gained such a reputation when, early on, you have to give a girl CPR via a rhythm minigame then jump off a dolphin to climb into an airship hangar. It's so completely Japanese weird, and a solid RPG to boot, yet everyone thinks it's super emo and,I don't know, mixes up Vincent with Cloud.

(Vincent is an optional character you can recruit with a dark backstory, lots of brooding, and cryptic dialogue. Cloud is a dork.)

It's really not that weird. Look at how many people take the plots of children's cartoons super seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Everyone thinks it's emo because all the expanded universe poo poo is the most dense, heavy garbage that you can see the black tears dripping from their game boxes. All of them, especially Advent Children, are so gloomy that it's messed with everyone's memories of the original. Most people these days only see Cloud in Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia, where he is the most insufferable baby. No one really goes back to replay 7 so they don't remember how he was just a weird guy who tries too hard to be 90's Cool.

The thing is that even the EU isn't that serious. Crisis Core is silly as poo poo. Yes, Zack dies at the end, but prior to dying he does things like "goes on a beach vacation and fights an army of zombies with a beach umbrella" and "competes to be the world championshit at squats" and gets into wacky shenanigans with an 11 year old Yuffie who is trying to steal all his poo poo. Before Crisis is more serious but it still is remarkably goofy in a lot of places, including Cloud Strife desperately trying to be a HERO OF JUSTICE (and failing miserably). It is not a game that takes itself seriously even if you ignore the goofy-as-hell side missions. It has a minigame where Zack pauses in a mission just to try cutting bullets in half because he can.

Dissidia is kind of grim and dour but even there Cloud can equip women's clothing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It's the post-FFVII stuff that's all grimdark and angst-filled and is mostly what people mean when they talk about the EU. Cloud is Mr. Angst in Advent Children, while Vinnie V spends most of his time brooding in Dirge. I haven't played the pre-FFVII EU stuff, but it seems decent, minus a few dumb retcons.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

closeted republican posted:

It's the post-FFVII stuff that's all grimdark and angst-filled and is mostly what people mean when they talk about the EU. Cloud is Mr. Angst in Advent Children, while Vinnie V spends most of his time brooding in Dirge. I haven't played the pre-FFVII EU stuff, but it seems decent, minus a few dumb retcons.

Admittedly I don't know much about Before Crisis. But while Zack is wacky and a great protagonist in Crisis Core, Cloud spends most of his screentime comatose or crying. And while he does have a valid reason at that point in time, it's super grating when the far-superior Zack is trying his damnedest to cheer him up and and his only response is "ubuuuhhhh".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Admittedly I don't know much about Before Crisis. But while Zack is wacky and a great protagonist in Crisis Core, Cloud spends most of his screentime comatose or crying. And while he does have a valid reason at that point in time, it's super grating when the far-superior Zack is trying his damnedest to cheer him up and and his only response is "ubuuuhhhh".

Cloud's pretty chill when you first meet him. He's not that social, probably since he's nervous about being chummy with one of Shinra's elite special forces, but he's not the least bit mopey.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Cloud's pretty chill when you first meet him. He's not that social, probably since he's nervous about being chummy with one of Shinra's elite special forces, but he's not the least bit mopey.

I was thinking mostly of the truck ride at the end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I did play some of Crisis Core, but not a whole lot, so I didn't see Zak's death, which I'm sure is dark as hell. However, what I did see was an action rpg starring Sonic the Hedgehog, groups of women debate which soldier is the sexiest soldier, a soundscape littered with in butt rock, and squats.

There's also apparently an in-universe Sephiroth fanclub that talks about how much shampoo he has to use on his hair. If nothing else, CC sounds like it's at least closer in tone to FFVII than any of the other games.

I do have to say though that, maybe it's the often discussed "it's all about what you hear first" phenomenon, but I do not like CC's dub. Like, at all. It's the worst FF dub I've heard. I almost never watch the original Japanese but back when CC first came out I was all over that poo poo because I'm an idiot. Then when it was finally dubbed into English, I couldn't stand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcD-YsWOGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZaSipHuO4

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Another thing you might do to cheese the Minotaur in Bravely Default is to use the Performer ability that makes enemies target the user and the Ninja ability that guarantees an evasion. A Performer ally can make sure that tank has enough BP at all times. This method is very MP-intensive, however.

If the Minotaur followed just one pattern all the time, he'd be easy. In the first part he just makes one strong attack each turn, but when he goes below 50% HP he instead uses Brave four times and makes two Double Damage attacks and two regular attacks every fourth turn. In the first half you can try to keep up with his damage with healing, Damage Dispersion, Full Cover, and so forth. In the second half, you could also just make everybody a Valkyrie, keep an eye on his BP, and use Jump to evade all his attacks (hint: press left on the analog slider to see enemy BP, and stats if you've used Examine on them before).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That's literally what happened in FF VII though? He didn't take well to the Mako treatment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's literally what happened in FF VII though? He didn't take well to the Mako treatment.

Yeah, he was catatonic until Zack was gunned down, at which point his psyche splintered and we got the schizophrenic mishmash we know and love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That's directly from FFVII though. The dude was literal in a brain-damaged coma. Same as when he was in the wheelchair later in the game.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's directly from FFVII though. The dude was literal in a brain-damaged coma. Same as when he was in the wheelchair later in the game.

Isn't it expanded and more drawn out in CC or am I remembering wrong? I thought in 7 it just shows a few snippets while in CC it goes on for a lot longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Isn't it expanded and more drawn out in CC or am I remembering wrong? I thought in 7 it just shows a few snippets while in CC it goes on for a lot longer.

It's a bit extended but not actually that long. It's only the very last part of the game. Zack drives around a bit with Cloud doing things but Cloud's not actually crying or anything like that. He's just slumped over drooling.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 5, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

It's funny because I'm playing through FF6 right now, and while a lot of that game is really silly and light-hearted, Terra may be the most emo character in the entire series. It feels like every other line she's brooding about how she doesn't know if she'll ever love someone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I am willing to guess it's drawn out even though I can't remember for certain. It's just a good guess because everything iN CC is drawn out.
Zack teh super cool badass who everyone seems to love? This is how his fight with Sephiroth went originally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qJbGfkbJQ&t=6m31s

And instead of an overblown battle where he fights alone against every goddam Shinra soldier and gunships and whatever else, he got his rear end shot to death by two or so mooks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

It's funny because I'm playing through FF6 right now, and while a lot of that game is really silly and light-hearted, Terra may be the most emo character in the entire series. It feels like every other line she's brooding about how she doesn't know if she'll ever love someone.

Don't get me started on Terra. FF VI is a great game full of likeable characters, but I hate Terra. Back before FF X a lot of fans were divided between VI and VII, claiming Cloud was too emo. They wouldn't have it when I asked if they had played the same VII, and offered Terra up as being the truly emo one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Don't get me started on Terra. FF VI is a great game full of likeable characters, but I hate Terra. Back before FF X a lot of fans were divided between VI and VII, claiming Cloud was too emo. They wouldn't have it when I asked if they had played the same VII, and offered Terra up as being the truly emo one.

And so has it been since the dawn of mankind.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Square Enix wanted to make a quick and dirty port of Final Fantasy VII without rendering new backgrounds, it's possible to achieve surprisingly good results by upscaling using a fractal algorithm.

There's a thread in the Final Fantasy VII modding forum that gives some examples, as well as a link to download the backgrounds to use in the game.

Here's a close-up to show what's going on:

It can even be used on the FMV cutscenes.

It helps that the original renders had tons of anti-aliasing, but the lack of fine detail is still noticeable. It's still far better than just using a smoothing filter, or in the case of the PC port, no filter at all.

All they'd need then is a new translation and a team working on new character models, and they could port it to every platform under the sun.

E: Speaking of which, there's a fan translation in the works here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I hope that fan translation is decent. Lot of fan translations suffer from being overly literal (to the point of sounding stilted) or fit in too many swears to sound cool. The screenshots seem promising though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair to Crisis Core's reimagining of Zack's death (wherein apparently Shinra sends out their ENTIRE FREAKING ARMY TO KILL ONE MAN), that's a pretty decent response to a JRPG character who has been shown to have super speed, super strength, super reflexes, super durability, and, depending on if you've done the superboss, beat the goddess of the planet.

Hell, if the older Final Fantasy villains like Golbez, Kuja, etc. had any sense about their games' protagonists, they would have done the exact same thing, considering every Final Fantasy main cast have been shown to go up against incredible odds, monsters, dangers, romance, and in one case politics to win out the day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well The Emperor in FFII threw a super airship, a magic tornado and Hell at his foes and still lost. After that the villains kinda just threw their hands up in the air and resigned themselves to losing. Like that arc of the old X-Men cartoon where Apocalypse realized he could never win because evil is always destined to lose.

I guess Yevon in FFX threw everything they had at the heroes. But they would have won if they:
1. Just shot them at the palace
2. Used more efficient methods of execution

Also Minerva makes no sense to me. Where was that bitch when Meteor was coming? Did Zack kill her? Is it all his fault that Sephiroth and Hojo and everyone could threaten the Planet later on?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It didn't bother me as much as similar poo poo in other games because she's wondering more why she doesn't feel a certain way, and not BAWWW NOBODY LOVES ME. I don't mind the basic idea, but I do think her dialogue goes to that well too often and too blatantly. I understand they were dealing with some severe limitations in terms of space, but still, it's really heavyhanded.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Minerva was effectively unconscious after Zack imbued his own life force into his fists to beat the poo poo out of her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Gologle posted:

To be fair to Crisis Core's reimagining of Zack's death (wherein apparently Shinra sends out their ENTIRE FREAKING ARMY TO KILL ONE MAN),

I don't think anyone had a problem with that part, it was awesome. The long, ridiculous death scene afterwards was the bigger issue.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Minerva makes no sense to me. Where was that bitch when Meteor was coming? Did Zack kill her? Is it all his fault that Sephiroth and Hojo and everyone could threaten the Planet later on?

Look man, it was an available sidequest. Zack knew what he had to do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
One of my favorite things about Crisis Core is how it retroactively turns the Buster Sword into something legendary instead of just a sword. It makes FF7 kinda funny since in the first hour Cloud will inevitably go "Eh." and throw it out for something new.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

One of my favorite things about Crisis Core is how it retroactively turns the Buster Sword into something legendary instead of just a sword. It makes FF7 kinda funny since in the first hour Cloud will inevitably go "Eh." and throw it out for something new.

I think they fell for the same thing that traps cosplayers; its the thing in the art because its the first weapon he has so they ignore that the game has tons of other weapons and they're all rendered and look different. Knowing how SE works its about the only thing that makes sense given ow their attitude to the characters personalities seems to match the fan community.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, he keeps using it in cutscenes and such and you can't sell it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Zack's best weapon is the Beach Umbrella and Cloud's is the Bat with Nails in it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Squallege posted:

Zack's best weapon is the Beach Umbrella and Cloud's is the Bat with Nails in it.

He stabs for at least one of his limits. With the bat with nails it becomes sublime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good lord the party in FF8 is bipolar as hell.

During the Galbadian Garden Attack: Squall, you have to save Rinoa. How can you put the greater good over our comrade? SQUALL SAVE HER!

Immediately Afterwards: Squall you have to ignore Rinoa and put the school above her needs. Stop thinking about Rinoa and focus on our mission!

I'm... I'm growing to really appreciate Squall's complete inability to trust other human beings to be there for him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Of course Cloud leaves it to rust after FFVII as he has totally upgraded to his Fusion Swords, which I think were pretty neat anyway.

Also I love that Ultima Weapon in FFVIII has Cloud's Ultima Weapon. In fact, Ultima Weapon in VIII was one of the most memorable things about the game for me. Kinda sad really but the build up and its design were unusually decent for the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know about you, but I like the idea of a character's grave marker being their signature weapon. It both did and didn't make sense, because the sword did belong to Zack, but on the other hand, he passed it on to Cloud, and it seems kind of dickish to return it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well The Emperor in FFII threw a super airship, a magic tornado and Hell at his foes and still lost. After that the villains kinda just threw their hands up in the air and resigned themselves to losing. Like that arc of the old X-Men cartoon where Apocalypse realized he could never win because evil is always destined to lose.

I guess Yevon in FFX threw everything they had at the heroes. But they would have won if they:
1. Just shot them at the palace
2. Used more efficient methods of execution

Both ExDeath and Kefka reached their goals so while outright obliterating the heroes would've made it a more lasting thing it's not surprising that they let the heroes life to see that they failed. Kefka especially since even when you do evneutally beat him the world's still hosed and you've destroyed all magic, including the magic that ruined the world and might've been able to unfuck it faster (or at all).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Good lord the party in FF8 is bipolar as hell.

During the Galbadian Garden Attack: Squall, you have to save Rinoa. How can you put the greater good over our comrade? SQUALL SAVE HER!

Immediately Afterwards: Squall you have to ignore Rinoa and put the school above her needs. Stop thinking about Rinoa and focus on our mission!

I'm... I'm growing to really appreciate Squall's complete inability to trust other human beings to be there for him.
Rinoa falls down and Zell runs to Squall to browbeat him into helping. Squall says "Zell, you idiot, you go help her so I can help other people because some idiot gave me responsibilities and I'm gonna take them seriously!" To which Zell replies "OK! :downs:"

Then he goes back to Rinoa and watches her hold on for dear life until Squall happens to pass by and save her in 5 seconds.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I love FF6, it is my favorite, but Terra is the absolute worst. That, and Celes being just as good and instantly available is the reason I never use her in the WoR.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Oh gently caress me. I was going to go for the Materia Overlord achievement, but I forgot to pick up the Leviathan Scales pickup because the developers were huge assholes and hid it in the part where you hijack the submarine and were mean enough to make it so that you couldn't go back. Hiding an important item behind some junk in a sequence that encourages you to haul rear end and can't go back to is a ridiculously dickish thing to do. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

From a few pages back, but,

Nojima's Losing It posted:

And then felt surprise, for tears were suddenly spilling from her eyes. Her emotions jolted abruptly and she couldn't stand. Crouched on the ground with both arms wrapped around her, she realized that the emotion she was feeling was unbearable sadness. In one moment a loud noise had flooded her ears and a strong force had flung her into the air. The source of her shock was Tidus's head, which had been blown off his body and was now lying in front of her.

I take back everything bad I said about this.

We need this whole thing translated as literally as possible, and a dramatic reading performed.