Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kestrel is a boomerang that gets thrown with the power attack. I don't care about its damage but it seems to be a guaranteed knockdown on any regular target which is quite nice if you use a mod that increases charge speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Is throwing the shotgun +punch through mod on the sentinel sweeper a good idea or not? I wasn't sure about the angle it fires at if I would be just shooting into the ground or what.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Golgozor posted:

So, is it just me or is there no reason to use any melee weapon beside Gallatine (barring novelty)? That's kind of sad.

I liked using fang because you can boost them to an insane amount of attacks per second by using valkyr/volt and maxed out fury.
But yeah galatine, glaive(kestrel) and orthos are the only weapons I can think of that have actual purpose. Kogake used to be cool because of ragdolling on charge attacks but they removed that

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
The Kestrel also has a pretty good chance of knocking down enemies upon throw or groundslam.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

superstepa posted:

I liked using fang

:qq:

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
To be honest I was never interested in fang prime since it's slower than the original one. Is it actually a good weapon?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
No.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just started playing this today and it's oddly compelling. Can I get a PS4 invite - Boycey83

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Golgozor posted:

So, is it just me or is there no reason to use any melee weapon beside Gallatine (barring novelty)? That's kind of sad.

No, they're pretty much all poo poo. Punching dudes clean in half with a Furax/Kogake/etc. however, is loving awesome. So there's that.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Anybody got a Hellfire mod I can bum (PS4)? It's the only elemental rifle card I haven't got yet.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Epsilon Plus posted:

No, they're pretty much all poo poo. Punching dudes clean in half with a Furax/Kogake/etc. however, is loving awesome. So there's that.

It's sad how low melee has fallen. Avoid all slashing damage.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Isnt' there supposed to be a major overhaul in melee combat coming in the patch 12?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Yes but considering that the last major overhaul was damage2.0, which failed in every respect and is slowly being regressed, I have low expectations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Denzine posted:

Yes but considering that the last major overhaul was damage2.0, which failed in every respect and is slowly being regressed, I have low expectations.

I dunno it will at least be interesting if they are letting you pick attack directions and stuff like mount and blade style. Also was 2.0 really that bad? Seems good to me in making armor penetration not 100% mandatory all the time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

randombattle posted:

I dunno it will at least be interesting if they are letting you pick attack directions and stuff like mount and blade style. Also was 2.0 really that bad? Seems good to me in making armor penetration not 100% mandatory all the time.

One of the stated goals was getting rid of rainbow builds, which it totally failed at because now they're the only good option. The root of the problem is just that they made mods that are literally just +damage and have painted themselves in a corner. They can't remove them because people would scream bloody murder about all the time they spent getting max rank serration etc., but the only thing they could add that would compete with them for effectiveness would be something equal or better. Making defense more punishing if you aren't bringing the right damage type would just generate a lot of hassle people don't want to deal with.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

chumbler posted:

The root of the problem is just that they made mods that are literally just +damage and have painted themselves in a corner. They can't remove them because people would scream bloody murder about all the time they spent getting max rank serration etc.

This is kind of a big problem with a lot of things in this game, where they really need to get rid of something completely but their forums would melt under all the bitching it would cause. It's a fun game but I feel like it won't ever be able to get out of its cycle of only adding new features instead of fixing/balancing the existing content, because hordes of whiny spergs won't let them change a single thing that they "worked for."

Damage 2.0 is fun and I like it but I don't think some of these problems will ever go away until DE finally decides it has to offend some people to move forward (which I would love to see but probably won't happen).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

chumbler posted:

One of the stated goals was getting rid of rainbow builds, which it totally failed at because now they're the only good option. The root of the problem is just that they made mods that are literally just +damage and have painted themselves in a corner. They can't remove them because people would scream bloody murder about all the time they spent getting max rank serration etc., but the only thing they could add that would compete with them for effectiveness would be something equal or better. Making defense more punishing if you aren't bringing the right damage type would just generate a lot of hassle people don't want to deal with.

I think the smartest move would be to just convert all the +% damage type mods (like No Return or Disruptor) into conversion mods that cost less to equip, and then force people to start actually having to use Impact on Corpus or Puncture on Grineer. Switching them to Conversion mods would mean that stacking like damage types on a weapon that already does the type of damage you want wouldn't straight up add damage (and cause the same issue Serration does), but an off-type weapon would be able to compete with a properly typed weapon by adding one mod in. Then Serration would just add on top of either of those. It'd keep the system flexible while also rewarding players that pay attention and equip themselves properly.

It'd make the Void WAAAAAAY loving harder, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fuzz posted:

I think the smartest move would be to just convert all the +% damage type mods (like No Return or Disruptor) into conversion mods that cost less to equip, and then force people to start actually having to use Impact on Corpus or Puncture on Grineer. Switching them to Conversion mods would mean that stacking like damage types on a weapon that already does the type of damage you want wouldn't straight up add damage (and cause the same issue Serration does), but an off-type weapon would be able to compete with a properly typed weapon by adding one mod in. Then Serration would just add on top of either of those. It'd keep the system flexible while also rewarding players that pay attention and equip themselves properly.

It'd make the Void WAAAAAAY loving harder, though.

What do you mean by conversion? Ammo conversion?

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I used to play this game for a bit on the pc when it came out but got bored, and now that it's on the ps4 I got back into it and I somehow am more engaged, I just want to play with more people so I can go to the other planets without having to rely on pubies or having myself killed in seconds. can I get an invite to the clan?

Redwell (ps4)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

chumbler posted:

They can't remove them because people would scream bloody murder about all the time they spent getting max rank serration etc.,

Sure they can, it's still listed as Beta, that's the point of a Beta.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

randombattle posted:

Yeah and they did it by removing it entirely, along with the Armor on most enemies. Nothing bypasses armor now. Oh, and since then they've started reintroducing armor.

One of the goals of 2.0 was to encourage people to make non-rainbow builds, but everything about the current system demands a rainbow if you want to do anything at high levels. Or use the Penta I guess.

They wanted procs to mean something but outside of maybe the Grakata they don't.

hooah posted:

He means that instead of No Return increasing a pistol's Puncture damage by 90%, it would convert 90%(or whatever) of the pistol's damage to Puncture.

Mixed enemy types would just make having a sword and pistol meaningful, but it would absolutely require that they make swapping weapons take at most half a second, instead of the two to three seconds it currently does, and also not be interrupted or reset by parkour and rolling and poo poo.

BitBasher posted:

Sure they can, it's still listed as Beta, that's the point of a Beta.
They can't remove Serration or HCal without people whining about it for months, possibly forever, on their forums. It would be a massively unpopular move, even if it is the right one for the long-term health of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

hooah posted:

Denzine posted:

He means that instead of No Return increasing a pistol's Puncture damage by 90%, it would convert 90%(or whatever) of the pistol's damage to Puncture.

Mixed enemy types would just make having a sword and pistol meaningful, but it would absolutely require that they make swapping weapons take at most half a second, instead of the two to three seconds it currently does, and also not be interrupted or reset by parkour and rolling and poo poo.

Yeah, this. It'd make mixed enemy types doable, you just need to actually have some group tactics. If anything, this game needs to force more teamplay at the higher level as it is, instead of letting 2 overpowered frames spam the same 2 powers over and over and clear entire rooms. It'd also make throwing weapons like the Kestrel have some more utility since you could toss them at one enemy and then gun down two others with your primary while waiting for it to return.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Denzine posted:

I feel that saying it "failed in every respect" is hyperbolic and not really useful. I can tell you strait out that for me and the group of friends I have (which is a small, anecdotal sample, but still), Damage 2.0 is a lot more accessible and fun than the previous iteration. That in itself is a victory. I totally agree with your points on flat damage modifiers, rainbow builds, procs, etc. But I think you do have to include the areas in which Damage 2.0 was a success. It (in conjunction with the Codex and better documentation in general) made the damage system way more transparent. It also added elemental combinations, which are a fun optimization hook with a nice visual payoff as well. Procs are a good idea with a poor implementation, but all that it would take to make them relevant is numbers tweaks.

Frankly, this game is heading in the right direction. Of course, that is a subjective statement, with which you may or may not agree. Still, with every single patch, the game has become progressively more fun for me to play. Additionally, it is becoming easier and easier for me to get friends interested. I know SA loves to be pessimistic, but I think this game warrants some optimism. Also, I really do think burnout is an issue for many players. Personally, I played the hell out of it over the summer, got busy and stopped, then recently returned to it. It's 10x more fun now than it was then. Several of the people I play with have expressed similar sentiments. In a lot of ways it reminds me of League of Legends. DE is sitting on a budding smash hit, they know it, and are adding content like crazy, much like Riot did for the first two years with League. I suspect over the next year content creation will slow down and the focus will shift more and more to balance and systems. We will see. For now, I'm having a blast and am looking forward to what's to come.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Denzine posted:

They can't remove Serration or HCal without people whining about it for months, possibly forever, on their forums. It would be a massively unpopular move, even if it is the right one for the long-term health of the game.

When I suggested burning pure +damage mods to the ground, I suggested just refunding everyone the credits/cores needed to get themselves the mods to that rank. It would be fairly reasonable.

But DE really is incapable of not caving in to their userbase, which can be nice sometimes (when they make boneheaded decisions on their own, like the previous stamina change that was rolled back) and is completely awful in other situations (like now).

The thing about pure +damage mods is that they can be balanced alongside other mods, it's just that utility mods have to be just as useful and this requires them to be a lot weaker, relatively speaking. If a maxed serration on a Lv30 weapon was say, +25% damage or whatever, you might instead consider +60% fire rate or +100% reload speed or who the hell knows. When a maxed serration is doubling your damage considering any other mods is much, much harder.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Postin' for an invite to the goonclan (please), PSN: BeefySwats.

Enjoying playing as a Mag so far and have gotten a ton of cores that are just sitting in my inventory since I'm still figuring this game out.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Notinghamington posted:

I used to play this game for a bit on the pc when it came out but got bored, and now that it's on the ps4 I got back into it and I somehow am more engaged, I just want to play with more people so I can go to the other planets without having to rely on pubies or having myself killed in seconds. can I get an invite to the clan?

Redwell (ps4)

says given username does not exist

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

madpanda posted:

I haven't heard the Magnus but Bolto's main advantage is that it sounds pretty good firing. Vastos are kind of underwhelming.

The Magnus sounds even wimpier than the Vasto. It's annoying because the Vasto looks like a goddamn Dirty Harry magnum pistol so it should've sounded with a lot of 'boom'. The Magnus is also implied as a heavy caliber weapon and instead it sounded like a 'phsh'.

I don't think Damage 2.X a failure. If your expectation is a balanced game with great depth in customization then yeah, sure, Damage 2.X has failed. But so far no one could come up with anything to reach the balance utopia without overhauling the entire game, which will piss off everyone. The current damage system is a small yet still a step forward from the previous one. Serration is still the must-have mod, sure, but Piercing Hit is no longer a requirement.

Someone who said DE is being like Riot Games by pumping out content before focusing on balance is correct. Content is important if they wanted to have existing players keep playing and to entice older players to come back. The more the core system changes, the harder it is for the content makers to keep making stuff. They'll need to pad up the game some more before they could shift the focus on balance changes.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

randombattle posted:

The 2.0 was supposed to force players to have special weapon combos & weapon builds for specific mobs or racials. Instead all we got is more of the same: Stack a FOTM damage type and max your crit.

The 2.0 wallpapered over a bigger problem with this game which is at the end the Ninja Gaiden online we were pitched is nothing but the same 5 stock maps, recycled over 19 zones. All those maps have one of two objectives: 1. Defend a point 2. Run from Point A to Point B.

Raid bosses were a failure, as was objective based play & pvp/Dojo competitions.

Is the game pretty ? gently caress yes
Is it a horrible let down after 15 months of no progression ? gently caress yes, too.

Still worth playing vs. the rest of the "next generation" schlock.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

wid posted:

Someone who said DE is being like Riot Games by pumping out content before focusing on balance is correct. Content is important if they wanted to have existing players keep playing and to entice older players to come back. The more the core system changes, the harder it is for the content makers to keep making stuff. They'll need to pad up the game some more before they could shift the focus on balance changes.

Eh, DE is way worse than Riot. It'd be one thing if it were content before balance, but as Damage 2.0 showed, DE can't even do balance. Combat system is still too FPS to really support complex and fun bosses. Right now, it's basically bosses that are existing enemies but beefed up with new abilities and bosses with mandatory invulnerability phases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Argas posted:

Eh, DE is way worse than Riot. It'd be one thing if it were content before balance, but as Damage 2.0 showed, DE can't even do balance. Combat system is still too FPS to really support complex and fun bosses. Right now, it's basically bosses that are existing enemies but beefed up with new abilities and bosses with mandatory invulnerability phases.

Invulnerability phases aren't inherently bad and are arguably necessary in a game like this, it's just that they often last way too long. I've said it before, but I still think new Ruk is perfectly fine as boss designs go. The OD golem is a neat idea, but it's just dreadfully boring because it has too much health and too much downtime.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Why is the Gram so lovely, holy gently caress. :smith:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fuzz posted:

Aww, really? I was about to build one. What's the problem with it?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

AttackBacon posted:

I feel that saying it "failed in every respect" is hyperbolic and not really useful.

Damage 2.0 is just the damage model changes, not every new piece of content or UI change made before your return to the game. Some good things have been added but Damage 2.0 is not among them.

Actually achieving any of Damage 2.0's goals wouldn't just be moving some numbers around, it'd be a complete revision. Procs are too rare and weak for low-chance guns(basically all rifles, Heat/Cold/Pierce/Impact/Slashing/etc), too common and powerful for high-chance guns(shotguns, Blast/Corrosive), and rainbow builds poo poo out more sheer damage than anything else. You'd need to bump up the numbers on all the non-damage mods, we're talking like +100% mag capacity and +100% reload speed like MJ12 said, make elements and base damage have separate stackable proc chances(so you can make a dude burn and bleed with one shot), and probably make at least the three base damage type mods transformative. Also make switching guns not take for-loving-ever. Resistances are a whole to-do as well.

wid posted:

The current damage system is a small yet still a step forward from the previous one. Serration is still the must-have mod, sure, but Piercing Hit is no longer a requirement.

The amount of armor-ignore guns available to near-newbies made Piercing Hit much less of a stumbling block than Serration is now(since it only drops off of Grineer Scorpions and crawlers[which aren't a reliable faction]), but really this is a problem with the loot system. For as long as it exists as the backbone of progression, Serration should be a guaranteed mod. Preferably for getting past Mercury, but Venus would probably work as well.

Argas posted:

Nearly all of the boss fights are various flavors of boring and uninspired. Yeah I'm looking at you, Raptor, you loving shitbird. You're stupid and i hope you die and take Lech and Ruk with you.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I have a few primary weapons in the oven. Looking at making a new melee.

What is the melee weapon with the highest crit chance? Since the Soma is the best primary because of that fact, I figured why wouldn't it be the same for melee and secondary.

I'm trying to get to mastery 6 because I want a Soma.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

SlayVus posted:

So I have a few primary weapons in the oven. Looking at making a new melee.

What is the melee weapon with the highest crit chance? Since the Soma is the best primary because of that fact, I figured why wouldn't it be the same for melee and secondary.

I'm trying to get to mastery 6 because I want a Soma.

D. Zorens have historically been high crit, more so with Ash/Loki for invis autocrits.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pyronic posted:

after getting back into this and playing quite a bit all week, I feel like my pinky's about to break off.
Rebind crouch to space. Bind jump to ctrl now that you don't have to hit a million buttons to wall run. Also bind jump to mousewheel. Congratulations, warframe's input is now easy as poo poo on a pc.

In most fps games I use space to jump, but in warframe it's crouch that you spam and ctrl is not a good place to be.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Fuzz posted:

You should have been there when it was first introduced. It made a buzzing sound. I though my speakers were broken.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

BitBasher posted:

Aww, really? I was about to build one. What's the problem with it?

It's fine but it needs the Fury mod. Compared to the starter weapons it's extremely slow but it's solid otherwise.

It's basically a slightly shittier Galantine - if you're not just building weapons to level them to 30 for mastery and you don't have access to the Galantine it's perfectly fine. But if you can make the Galantine and don't care about mastery XP, get the Galantine.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

chumbler posted:

Invulnerability phases aren't inherently bad and are arguably necessary in a game like this, it's just that they often last way too long. I've said it before, but I still think new Ruk is perfectly fine as boss designs go. The OD golem is a neat idea, but it's just dreadfully boring because it has too much health and too much downtime.

Invulnerability phases aren't necessarily bad but Warframe's gameplay doesn't mesh well with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Khorne posted:

Rebind crouch to space. Bind jump to ctrl now that you don't have to hit a million buttons to wall run. Also bind jump to mousewheel. Congratulations, warframe's input is now easy as poo poo on a pc.

In most fps games I use space to jump, but in warframe it's crouch that you spam and ctrl is not a good place to be.

I'm with that other guy: Stick crouch on a thumb button. Having both crouch and melee on thumb buttons makes it easy to slide and zoren all over the place.