Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

This is awhile back:

OK it's been a long time since I've played but how exactly did you get your fire resistance to 50%? For some reason I think you put a fire materia in an armor slot but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

You need to pair a fire materia with an Elemental materia in a linked set of slots on your armor. I think you can get an Elemental materia from the Shinra tower, but it's easy to miss if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I missed it. Ugh.

V - Thanks, sorry for bumping the topic.

Edit: Went back to an older save and got the materia.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 24, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Specifically, you have to guess this guy's password on the first attempt.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't care how awful and retconny a remake would be, I'd buy it in an instant if it let you do this.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Tifa was never supportive of Cloud's life decisions. Can she just be happy for Cloud just once?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I enjoy Barret's :downs:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Kithrixx posted:

He is just the cutest.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
The man has a machine gun for an arm and is riding around in the back of a pickup. He knows poo poo is about to go down and he cannot wait

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kithrixx posted:

He always was a little focused on Cloud's "Spikey-Haired rear end"...

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

FinalGamer posted:

I would LOVE an RPG with this kind of character type, like clearly incompetent protagonists that have no business getting involved but want to be big dumb heroes and get way in over their heads. Then they start puking on each other and stripping naked and doing backflips in the woods and stealing an old barber's washing up/surgery pan and when you pick it up it goes into your inventory as "MAMBRINO'S HELMET!" with a three page item description that the main character makes up on the spot

...my god, a Don Quixote RPG would be amazing.

Yes, I completely agree. Related to that joke, I would like more delusional, impulsive, egocentric, assumption-making protagonists in RPGs, like, written, not just played that way. Also, what would be cool, would be setting or item text "written" by that sort of protagonist, which could act as an obstacle or puzzle in itself. For example, you as the player would have access to "objective" information only through exploration, external note-taking, and close attention, and this would be separate from your character's information, which would be what the game would present to you as the truth and actively encourage you to believe. Multiple endings are a given.

you could pay reviewers to call it the "Pale Fire" of indie gaming lmao

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 4, 2014

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 86 - Red Submarine

On to our next mission: Stealing a submarine!

Another Key Item. How exciting!

The Scimitar is a pretty good weapon.

It's one of the few Triple Growth weapons in the game.

Right, so we have to kill a bunch of dudes.

These guys have the right idea.

Unfortunately these grunts offer no difficulty whatsoever at this point. Plus we just killed Carry Armor.

This is definitely a good point to save. I don't want to fight Carry Armor again and if you lose the next battle, well...

It's amusing how the enemies start to panic more frequently, I presume because our reputation is reaching them. Either that or the screams of the other 20 we defeated right outside.

Oh.

Umm...

Yes. These are the bozos we taught the special pose, way back in Junon, CD 1.

Cloud has a soft heart. We even get the option not to fight them :shobon:

If you fight them, the battle will play this instead of the standard theme, for the sake of comedy. They don't do the Special Pose if they win, though, I checked.

We're taking them as prisoners, though.

For gently caress's sake, Cloud.

Good grief.

Sigh.

SIIIIGH.

How the hell were you guys intending on pilot it in the first place.

:downs:

They do seem to have a lot more submarines than every other vehicle in the world.

So yeah, we're off to pilot the submarine. Which means we're soon to engage in a whole new minigame!

Screw the manual though, this can't be so h

aRDOHMYGOD.

I hate this minigame. With fury. I smashed some buttons and now I changed the view. And look at all these HUDs.

It's not hard to control once you "get it", but it's likely that if you didn't read the manual, by the time you learn how to move the red submarine will be far gone from your LOD. And you can't see very far ahead.

Conversely, if you know what you're doing and smash the Fire Torpedo button as soon as the mini-game start, you'll insta-pop the red submarine and the whole thing will last less than one second.

You can't see crap but I swear this is me firing torpedoes at the red submarine.

Hooray! Someone had to code this minigame!

Nice. Now we have a submarine of our own!

On to our third Huge Materia.

Huh.

Picture Han Solo, if you will.

"We will transport the Huge Materia from the airport... those without other assignments will report for guard duty..."

Ta-Dah!

So this is the reason for these horse-shoes all over the game.

Screw Junon we're rollin'.

Dey see me rollin'

Dey hatin'... wait, what is this crater here

OHGOD

Next time:

BACK TO THE SURFACE WHERE IS JUNON OH LORD

Bugs & Bytes

Dognapping or: What happens if you suck at mini-games

So let's say you absolutely can't find the red submarine, got blown to death by the other enemies, stepped on one too many "mines" (pictured) or the timer runs out.

Well besides the disappointment of having to see this screen, you find out that you don't actually get a Game-Over.

You get the same script as before.

But things go a little different, since you have to evacuate the submarine.

I imagine Vincent saying this in the most monotone voice possible, stating the obvious.

I can't see how this could go wrong.

The screen blacks out, we sadly don't get to see what would otherwise be an amazing animation.

We can't continue the game without a submarine. Well right now we can, since they are sending us to Rocket Town, but eventually we'll need one so we gotta go down again.

A lot of players (and magazines, heh) got confused about this entrance back in the day because you can't ever go there if you win the minigame. Which is what happens in most cases.

Oh, pleassse.

fastforwardbattle

I'm willing to bet a lot of players never get to see this screen. Look, the dog's still trying to block us.

Cloud and his bunch of sociopaths are stopped by nothing. NOTHING!

NOTHING!!

Yea, it's official. People are scared to death of us.

:smug: Be grateful for your new overlord.

Seriously, this is hilarious.

Wait, bad translators, bad!

So, yeah.

You get a submarine that is red instead of gray to forever show the world you failed at a mini-game. This punishment would be more efficient if the red submarine didn't look so much cooler.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 4, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, I'm happy that we spared the guys who we helped out early. I was wanting to spare some grunts for ages, and I finally got the chance to do that. They should have the opinion to take enemy prisoner more often.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Elentor posted:

I can't see how this could go wrong.

Wasn't this an episode of The Simpsons, at one point?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I had no idea you could dognap a dog! I wish he'd follow you around while you played... I would fail that minigame so hard if that were the case.

Edit:

SelenicMartian posted:

Take Prisoner should be a Limit Break :colbert: And there should be a separate prisoner screen, for which you need to housenap Hell Houses for the rest of the POWs to live in.

And then you could breed prisoners, and race them for fabulous prizes at the gold saucer!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 5, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

grandalt posted:

They should have the opinion to take enemy prisoner more often.
Take Prisoner should be a Limit Break :colbert: And there should be a separate prisoner screen, for which you need to housenap Hell Houses for the rest of the POWs to live in.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Yeah, red sub is a million times better.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Schwartzcough posted:

I had no idea you could dognap a dog! I wish he'd follow you around while you played... I would fail that minigame so hard if that were the case.

Edit:

And then you could breed prisoners, and race them for fabulous prizes at the gold saucer!

Okaaay, that got creepy really fast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If/when I ever play FF7 again, I'm definitely getting myself a red sub.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Some Numbers posted:

If/when I ever play FF7 again, I'm definitely getting myself a red sub.
I think that means you permanently miss one of the giant materia, and thus can't complete a certain sidequest.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
That sub mini game was one of the few I actually enjoyed.

The motorcycle minigame just becomes a pain on the thumbs later on and you can only do the Moogle one once.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paracelsus posted:

I think that means you permanently miss one of the giant materia, and thus can't complete a certain sidequest.

And? RED. SUB.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At this point FF7 has turned into a saturday morning cartoon, only Cloud and co. are the ones who start off every episode scheming.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think I actually liked the sub minigame. Hrrm.

Was anyone else confused when you found out the scimitar was a spear?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Optional stuff spoiler Can't you get the master materia by beating one of the Weapons?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Sub minigame is great.

Pew pew pew.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ok somehow I remember the entire sub grabbing sequence except the mini game.

Even down to taking those grunts prisoner.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I had completely forgotten about Cloud's "breakdown" in the sub, but seeing it again DOES make me remember how it makes no god drat sense. I know he's not the most mentally stable person, but a) he's gotten better at this point, b) he just effortlessly fought through an entire battalion to get here, and c) he's never shown signs of claustrophobia before. I mean, seriously, the entire scene makes no sense.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Frocobo posted:

I had completely forgotten about Cloud's "breakdown" in the sub, but seeing it again DOES make me remember how it makes no god drat sense. I know he's not the most mentally stable person, but a) he's gotten better at this point, b) he just effortlessly fought through an entire battalion to get here, and c) he's never shown signs of claustrophobia before. I mean, seriously, the entire scene makes no sense.

This is just my guess, but maybe he was faking it or something? It came out of left field for me too, so that's the only explanation I can think of. :confused:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
What does it say in the original script? Maybe it was simply mistranslated.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Frocobo posted:

Well he certainly wasn't happy shut in the back of the closed-in Shinra truck...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
He snaps out of it real quick so it's no big deal in any case. I had no idea you could get another sub, and I've beaten this game three times.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Well, I know which minigame I'm never going to attempt to beat again should I replay this in future. I did think it was one of the better ones back when I played it originally though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Nihilarian posted:

Optional stuff spoiler Can't you get the master materia by beating one of the Weapons?

Yes. As a result, the "sidequest" is kind of a waste, IMO.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I always used to purposely fail the minigame to get a red sub because I thought red was cooler.

The dognapping part is news to me though. What the hell?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I must admit that I had no idea that you could get a red sub. Or that you could engage in dognapping.

Now I feel kinda bad that I've totally missed out on one of the funniest parts of the game all these years.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Wow, yeah never seen that dognapping thing. I always figured there were a couple things in this game I didn't know about but not entire scenes like that. Pretty amusing.

Frocobo posted:

It's made extra hilarious if you have Yuffie in your party, cause she freaks out too. I had her and Cid, and poor Cid had to essentially stand there and deal with two hyperventilating idiots.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Adus posted:

Wow, yeah never seen that dognapping thing. I always figured there were a couple things in this game I didn't know about but not entire scenes like that. Pretty amusing.

It's made extra hilarious if you have Yuffie in your party, cause she freaks out too. I had her and Cid, and poor Cid had to essentially stand there and deal with two hyperventilating idiots.

So maybe in that case it was meant to be motion sickness they were suffering from and not claustrophobia?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Can't you dig up the Huge Materia you missed at Fossil Village after Plot happens? Never did it myself, but a guide one of my friends had said so, it also mentioned the umbrella that no other thing did back in the dsay, so it should be given a little bit of credit.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Elentor, you didn't note that failing the submarine game also means the Huge Materia is lost forever, which is very bad for endgame purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

loving Carry Armor. I only got three game overs the first time I played this game. One to Reno pyramiding me when I didn't know how to break it, one to Schizo and one to Carry Armor grabbing up everyone.

Also it took until this update to realize I've never actually failed the sub minigame, so I've never seen that whole bit afterward. Wow.

• Locked thread