Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is ENB still finicky with AMD graphics cards? Before I bite the bullet on a 290 I just want to check, since part of the reason I'm upgrading is that I'd like to run skyrim + enb at 1440p without wanting to throw myself of a bridge thanks to the framerate and input lag. I seem to remember years ago ENB didn't exactly play well with AMD/ATI cards, has that been sorted now?

Also I just started using mod organizer; as someone who's been modding these games for a frankly sad amount of time this is a revelation. It's also the only mod manager for bethesda games that I can recall that isn't horribly buggy (NMM), slow (OBMM), annoying to install/use (wrye bash before it had a proper executable) or some combination of the above. Bit of a learning curve but nothing too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Under the Immersive Patrols mod, is it normal for both sides of a skirmish to turn on me when I try to help? If I fire a single arrow at an Aldmeri Dominion jerk, the Stormcloaks get pissed as well.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I was looking at some weapon mods the other day and thinking about how modders can't add any new weapon animations and can only replace existing ones. But I also remember hearing that new animations can be added as idles or by having scripts that trigger them. If this is true, could a modder conceivably add, for example, a spear thrusting animation by giving the player a lesser power that activates a script to trigger the thrusting animation? It's a bit cumbersome, to be sure, but would it work? Or am I misinformed/ignorant of some other aspect of the problem?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Quift posted:

Does anyonne have any experiecen of the SKSE script cleaner?

I created a textfile (SKSE.ini) in the correct location and added the line ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

And now my game plays at a crawl. I left it running for 18h and it still lags to an unplayable level. So, should I let it run for another 24 h or disable the future? I want to remove a few mods and clean up my save a bit due to an increase in CTD's.

That removes one very specific cause of save bloat: Scripts registered for updates that are removed without unregistering. Even with that its not safe to remove most mods from a game in progress. Once you save with a mod active its gonna be part of that game forever and removing it has a high chance of eventually causing problems. Unlike previous games Skyrim bakes a large amount of information into saves. That's why the advice is save and backup before adding a mod you aren't sure of and test it before committing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This morning, Wrye Bash all of the sudden won't launch through MO. Through the Start Menu it works fine. I've reinstalled it, rebuilt INI files, etc. What gives?

edit: Fixed, one of my INI files in my MO profile had bad encoding/characters.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 4, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Praetorian Mage posted:

I was looking at some weapon mods the other day and thinking about how modders can't add any new weapon animations and can only replace existing ones. But I also remember hearing that new animations can be added as idles or by having scripts that trigger them. If this is true, could a modder conceivably add, for example, a spear thrusting animation by giving the player a lesser power that activates a script to trigger the thrusting animation? It's a bit cumbersome, to be sure, but would it work? Or am I misinformed/ignorant of some other aspect of the problem?

You can add additional animations and trigger them as you want through a script. So in theory you could add a spear weapon and a special spear thrust animation that was triggered by a script. Two big problems come up. First I don't think the thrust animation could be linked to count as an actual attack. Second papyrus scripts have very little control over when they run, trying to script combat events is very tricky as the script can be suspended without warning while other scripts run. So you could try and thrust and it would wait however long before starting the attack.

I think a kinda workaround for both of those could be done with an skse script that patched the attack code. If you watched for the attack function call you could hijack it and switch out the animation of the normal weapon swing with your spear thrust but not change the rest of the stuff making it count as an attack. An skse script shouldn't be subject to any lag because they work as code injection iirc and skyrim would think it was part of the normal attack engine code. Of course that means figuring out the innards of skyrim's engine for attack calls and then writing an skse dll to hijack it.

Quift
May 11, 2012

LtSmash posted:

That removes one very specific cause of save bloat: Scripts registered for updates that are removed without unregistering. Even with that its not safe to remove most mods from a game in progress. Once you save with a mod active its gonna be part of that game forever and removing it has a high chance of eventually causing problems. Unlike previous games Skyrim bakes a large amount of information into saves. That's why the advice is save and backup before adding a mod you aren't sure of and test it before committing.

But is there a way to stop it?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The SkyUI menu and the Nexus page weren't entirely too clear on this, so could anyone tell me if "removing perks" in SPERG takes away the automatic perks or just the perks that you had to manually add? Because I really want to get rid of the Phantom Animals perk now that I've decided to try my hand at stealth (the fuckers spawn in the second anyone starts searching for you, and attack immediately, blowing stealth), but I don't want to lose all of my automatically-gained perks.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It removes everything, but puts the automatic ones right back when it reads your skill levels. Which is pretty instant.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

King Vidiot posted:

The SkyUI menu and the Nexus page weren't entirely too clear on this, so could anyone tell me if "removing perks" in SPERG takes away the automatic perks or just the perks that you had to manually add? Because I really want to get rid of the Phantom Animals perk now that I've decided to try my hand at stealth (the fuckers spawn in the second anyone starts searching for you, and attack immediately, blowing stealth), but I don't want to lose all of my automatically-gained perks.

There are options to change how it works, so that it doesn't trigger in stealth at all, if I remember right.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, there's still the fact that they get in your way and spawn right in front of you, and the Chaurus' sound effects are really annoying. It's like nails clacking on a table.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

King Vidiot posted:

Well, there's still the fact that they get in your way and spawn right in front of you, and the Chaurus' sound effects are really annoying. It's like nails clacking on a table.

Yeah, I avoided all of the perks that spawn poo poo to help me. For reasons like that.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I have a video card that can actually run ENB fairly decently, and I'm trying to find a preset. My biggest problem is trying to find one that doesn't turn nights/caves into "oh poo poo I need a torch even though I'm trying to stealth" land. Whatever I use, I'll also be disabling bloom and adaptation, and UseIndirectLighting as well as that seems to be the source of my "cave walls turning invisible" issue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

taiyoko posted:

So I have a video card that can actually run ENB fairly decently, and I'm trying to find a preset. My biggest problem is trying to find one that doesn't turn nights/caves into "oh poo poo I need a torch even though I'm trying to stealth" land. Whatever I use, I'll also be disabling bloom and adaptation, and UseIndirectLighting as well as that seems to be the source of my "cave walls turning invisible" issue.

You can easily change any ENB's indoor brightness by adjusting the interior brightness curve settings in the .ini.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, Nexus Mod Manager and MO still won't download anything when Download with Manager is pressed. What's that been, a month now? And of course, the guys responsible have been thoroughly tight lipped about any problems, leaving their moderators to come up with half assed excuses for why their site runs like dogshit.

"The site doesn't have problems, it's just a DDOS attack!" "What do you mean, NMM isn't working? It's just because our servers were overloaded by new people during Christmas!" "Mod organizer doesn't work? You should be using NMM!" "NMM isn't working? It's your firewall, or a problem on your end, download the latest version!" "Latest version isn't working? See the above!"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 5, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
God drat it I just want some mail that isn't a bikini or equivalent in stats to loving Daedric. Is that so much to ask? Just replace the stupid rear end Iron Armor with it or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FrancoFish posted:

God drat it I just want some mail that isn't a bikini or equivalent in stats to loving Daedric. Is that so much to ask? Just replace the stupid rear end Iron Armor with it or something.

Is this an inquiry? Have you looked into Immersive Armors? It's kinda the "go to" mod for the highest quality armors. Also the "book of silence" is far and away the best texture redo of the vanilla armors.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's some good unarmed fighting mod? I'm not looking for a complete skill tree addition, but maybe some cool wrestling moves and finishers while making punching viable.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I'm just really stumped about the utter failure in quality control that occurred between Immersive Armors into Immersive Weapons. Some of these weapons are just not well done and are in horrible need of some serious retexturing work. Has anyone done anything like this yet?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Shadeoses posted:

What's some good unarmed fighting mod? I'm not looking for a complete skill tree addition, but maybe some cool wrestling moves and finishers while making punching viable.

SPERG ties unarmed damage to Pickpocketing and makes it raise like a normal skill. It doesn't do anything for the actual combat, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there a way to quickly find which mod is effecting a certain area? I'm getting a CTD everytime I go near Pinewatch down the road from Helgan.
I used TES5edit to clean up dirty files in the DLC and some mods if that could of been a contributor?

Edit: I seemed to narrow it down to tos_oakwatch.esp

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 5, 2014

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

The Dance of Death adds a few new finishers for unarmed combat.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Killsion posted:

I'm just really stumped about the utter failure in quality control that occurred between Immersive Armors into Immersive Weapons. Some of these weapons are just not well done and are in horrible need of some serious retexturing work. Has anyone done anything like this yet?

I don't think anyone's done that but I can explain why that happened. From what I recall, Immersive Armors is only one guy while Immersive Weapons has multiple people with different standards for what can be considered good which is why you have some really nice looking weapons alongside some really loving awful ones.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I am running a few basic mods, none conflicted, but recently have had a couple problems that are just showing up. In one, any time I quicksave I crash to desktop, but only if I am looking in the vague direction of a dragon. I apparently don't have to be graphically rendering the dragon, just if the dragon is in that direction, but that's hard to confirm, it might have been a fluke.

Also, I had a problem last night where after waiting around for Jarl Maven for 4 hours to tell her I'd found a skooma dealer, it CTD'd upon leaving the keep. It then continued to CTD on that save until I went back a save before, waited 5 hours, and continued on. I am guessing this is just Bethesda weirdness, but who knows.

In case there's something in here, here's my MO order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Dragonborn
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
HearthFires
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
SPIKE.esm
SPERG.esm
Uncle Sheo.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
skyui.esp
SPERG.esp
SKSE Hotkeys.esp

I did just notice that SPERG.esm and SPERG.esp were separated, I've put them back one after another just in case.

The other thing is I'm playing this after just finishing replaying Deus Ex, so I am mashing the quicksave button frequently. I have noticed the time it takes to quick-save is getting longer and longer - should I go through and remove a bunch of my old manual saves just in case? I have like 23 of them, plus quicksaves and autosaves . . . I imagine that could be causing the game some issues with saves?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there anything special in particular I need to do in order to get SKSE to play nice with Steam? Someone bought me a Steam copy of Skyrim for Christmas and I'm beginning my epic adventure into the dark recesses of Modland, but I've noticed that SKSE appears to use its own .exe instead of the standard Skyrim executable. Can I just launch the game through Steam normally, or should I be using the SKSE executable? If the latter, is there anything else I should be doing?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Yes, just run the game with skse.exe. The game will still run with steam overlay, etc. If you add any steam workshop mods, run the game launcher though steam to download them then close it and run skse.

Finally, if you ever decide to use a mod manager like MO, you'll need to point those to skse so you're running skyrim through skse through the mod manager.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

<SKSE question>
Launch the game with skse_loader.exe. When using MO, run skse_loader.exe though MO.

Standard advice I give to modding noobies: Start small. The number one mistake people new to modding these games make is installing 100+ mods at once. If something goes wrong, you'll have no way to troubleshoot things. Install & test mods one at the time, or at least in small batches.
Also read the readmefiles and descriptionpages of mods. Doing that will save yourself a lot of headache and time. You could have found the answer to this question for example by reading SKSE's readme.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was looking at Realistic Needs and Diseases and got a question for those that have it,
the *gluttony* part where you move 30% slower if you have one too many apples kind of puts me off it, is there a way to disable that?

There should be an entry in MCM that's called something like "Force Satiation First" which, if enabled, should prevent your character from becoming overfull if they're at all hungry when they eat. I'd also recommend reducing all rates and percentages by half (the same goes for Frostfall if you've got it), because while I'm totes up for having a little Hatchet in my north pole fantasy adventure, I'm not so keen on that displacing the fantasy adventure part.

FrancoFish posted:

This may not be quite what you're looking for, but CNHF v2_5 Female Body Replacer and its armor replacers (most of the vanilla armors, others, vampires) are pretty good, particularly if you're using that mod that swaps female character animations for the ones used by male characters.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My god, this is like a whole new game. Going to be honest, I got bored with vanilla Skyrim on console after about 8 hours and never touched it again. But holy poo poo, if I ever get finished installing mods and actually try playing the game for a while, I think I'm going to love it to death. So far the main thing I'm interested in is Frostfall, plus a bunch of weather overhauls and mods adding additional clothing and gear options. I loving love the idea of making weather a gameplay element and am honestly kind of surprised there isn't already something similar in the vanilla game.

Quift
May 11, 2012
So, new survivalist run with a bosmer.

Frostfall, realistic needs, hunterborn & alternate random start which threw me into a dungeon to kill a few hagravens at lvl 1. Tough nut to crack but found a unnique bow (the bow without a name) so score!

Odd bug. All of the above are apparantly working ingame, but realistic needs doesn't do anything. RND has it's own settings menu in MCM.

Also, how do I install the community uncapper if SPERG is only supposed to give me a perk point every second level. Figures that was why my last mage was so utterliy overpowered. It doesn't install through MO so I just threw it into the data folder bubt it doesn't seem to do anything.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Quift posted:

Also, how do I install the community uncapper if SPERG is only supposed to give me a perk point every second level. Figures that was why my last mage was so utterliy overpowered. It doesn't install through MO so I just threw it into the data folder bubt it doesn't seem to do anything.

The first few paragraphs in the uncapper ini are along the lines of "Do you want to enable this part of uncapper? Enable=1, Disable=0". It defaults to 0, so you need to change them to 1 otherwise any other changes don't work.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Quift posted:

Just copy the uncapper ini file that comes with SPERG over the default one in the uncapper mod. No need to edit the file unless you want to do something else with the uncapper aside from using it for SPERG.

e: though, I think what I did was edit the SPERG uncapper.ini, copy the text, then paste it in over the contents of the uncapper mod's copy. That was it was all through MO and I was pretty sure it'd wind up using the changes, which it did.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 6, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For me, the SPERG installer didn't copy over the INI for some reason (I think this is the fault of MO, possibly?) and I had to manually open SPERG in explorer, and then copy the INI file from a SPERG subfolder. Ended up working OK.

Screenshot time.

Immersive Patrols is the best:

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
For whatever reason I can't absorb dragon souls when they are killed. Is there a quest trigger or something that might be broke? Here are the mods I'm using, I haven't had any other noticeable problems with them:

quote:

A Quality World Map
Alternate Start - Live Another Life
Apocalypse Spell Package
Deadly Dragons
Even Better Quest Objectives
IA v6 BETA
Immersive Patrols
Interesting NPCs
Opulent Outfits - Mage Robes of Winterhold v4
Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel-V3
Run For Your Lives
SkyUI
T3nd0s Skyrim Redone
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
SKSE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Put your mods in the correct order with BOSS; read readmes (it's the unofficial patches).

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

For whatever reason I can't absorb dragon souls when they are killed. Is there a quest trigger or something that might be broke? Here are the mods I'm using, I haven't had any other noticeable problems with them:

Scyantific posted:

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch: Fixes for the Dragonborn DLC IT SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING THAT YOU NEED THE DLC INSTALLED (IF YOU HAVE DRAGONBORN, MAKE SURE YOU LOAD THIS PATCH’S BSA AFTER THE USKP BSA OR IT WILL BREAK DRAGON SOUL ABSORPTION)
Version 2.0 Beta

Your load order is wrong.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Guys, he's obviously not going to read your posts, either.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Killsion posted:

Your load order is wrong.

That wasn't my load order, it just showed in alphabetical order when I printed it out.

However, for some reason BOSS did have the Dragonborn patch after the USKP patch. I didn't think to check load order since it had been working fine for some time.

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 6, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, my first experience in modded Skyrim:

Escape Helgen, make my way to Riverwood. Kill three wolves on the way in, stagger slowly into town carrying all three because I didn't want to dress and skin them out there on the road. Sell poo poo-tons of wolf meat to the local inn. Craft a bandolier. Decide I need some water, but forget how to empty bottles, so I just drink my entire supply of booze to make room for water. Spend about ten minutes stumbling around in a drunken haze, fall into a freezing cold stream, drown.

This is loving awesome. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

So, my first experience in modded Skyrim:

Escape Helgen, make my way to Riverwood. Kill three wolves on the way in, stagger slowly into town carrying all three because I didn't want to dress and skin them out there on the road. Sell poo poo-tons of wolf meat to the local inn. Craft a bandolier. Decide I need some water, but forget how to empty bottles, so I just drink my entire supply of booze to make room for water. Spend about ten minutes stumbling around in a drunken haze, fall into a freezing cold stream, drown.

This is loving awesome. :allears:

You didn't crash once? Not a real modded Skyrim experience :colbert:

• Locked thread