Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

photomikey posted:

I'm on SERO premium. I'm eligible for an upgrade January 1. (I feel an echo in this forum). As always, I am meh about Sprint's service. The $50/mo for 500 minutes and unlimited text/data keeps me coming back. Is there anything even close on another provider?

Alternate question - I've been on an EVO 4G LTE for two years. Looking at the Nexus 5 or HTC One to upgrade. Any thoughts?

Any reason a Moto X isnt in your choices? It's a fantastic phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
I would get a Nexus 5 if you plan on staying with Sprint. The HTC One and Moto X are good phones but do not support Sprint's new 800Mhz and 2500Mhz LTE bands.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Also considering the Moto X. Leaning Nexus 5. Just feeling anxious about another two year comittment with so-so cell service.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Nexus 5 cost for a new two year agreement is $50. Nexus 5 cost for me with no commitment bonus is $450. I won't know what the cost is with the 2-yr commitment bonus is until 1/1. Anybody know what it'll be?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Also considering the Moto X. Leaning Nexus 5. Just feeling anxious about another two year comittment with so-so cell service.

So pick up a 16GB Nexus on the Play store and don't extend your contract. You can take the phone elsewhere if you decide to leave, too. Less than a $200 difference from what Sprint charges for the same phone with an upgrade.

e; for your question above, the cost with an upgrade is effectively $200. They advertise it at $150 but thats with a mail in rebate for a dogshit $50 prepaid Visa or some poo poo. You pay $200 plus the tax on $450 if applicable in your state. The same phone without a contract on the Play store is $350 plus tax. You would just need to get the correct SIM card from Sprint (I've heard getting it through the International support chat works best?)

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 30, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any word on when the Spark GS4 will be in stores? My parents have an upgrade ready and I'd like for them to both have Spark phones.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!
Posting an answer to a question I posed earlier (couple pages back)

If you'd like to purchase a new phone ASAP over SERO

Purchase online and choose pickup in store

Go to store at appointment time

Rep will activate the new phone then and there, shouldn't be an issue. Note, if moving from a 3G or WIMAX to LTE (or otherwise) the coding will be different ($10 wimax or $10 LTE, etc.) - that may cause initial confusion for the rep but the codes do exist and they have permission to apply them.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

UFO posted:

Rep will activate the new phone then and there, shouldn't be an issue. Note, if moving from a 3G or WIMAX to LTE (or otherwise) the coding will be different ($10 wimax or $10 LTE, etc.) - that may cause initial confusion for the rep but the codes do exist and they have permission to apply them.

So you were able to use store pickup with SERO? Awesome. I'll have to give that a shot later this week.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

UFO posted:

Unless this is a recent thing that's not how it works.

Corp retail reps process the upgrade by choosing a new plan then call the internal number and have them flip it back to sero.

Is possible but it's not a quick process like a normal upgrade.

If it's been changed awesome but sero was never working for retail corporate reps.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Somebody tell me to hold on to my upgrade until the next round of phones come out. It seems pointless to get an S4 when the S5 is expected in just a few months... but my S3 is really hurting. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

Somebody tell me to hold on to my upgrade until the next round of phones come out. It seems pointless to get an S4 when the S5 is expected in just a few months... but my S3 is really hurting. :(

Hurting as in broken somehow? Because mine is trucking along awesomely with CM11.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
Are there any smartphones that are compatible with SERO that doesn't require the $10 Data premium?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Chow-King posted:

Are there any smartphones that are compatible with SERO that doesn't require the $10 Data premium?

The touch pro2 is the most advanced one that doesn't require the $10 add on.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

brc64 posted:

Ugh, I'm the same way. My Evo LTE is puttering along and I'm due for an upgrade on Feb 1st. Cracked the screen about two weeks ago, although that doesn't bother me... what is bothering me is the fact that for the last 3 months or so, the accelerometers and compass don't seem to read out anymore (using the Tricorder app, those sensors give null data back), although on occasion they work after a reboot and will allow me to rotate the phone to landscape. Sometimes the light sensor goes wonky and the thing goes to full brightness on Auto Brightness mode, but that's less predictable; the diagnostic app within the phone seems to work fine at gauging and testing the light sensor.

At least GPS is still fine, so I can use navigation even if it doesn't know which way I'm pointing. The battery life is poo poo on most days, and I really want to toss it out, but not for something otherwise inferior.
[Edit: Tried swapping to CM11 and that didn't help, so I went back to rooted stock. Also, it randomly reboots 0-3 times per day, and switching from an active app to a previously active one often doesn't retain state and required a full app reload. Thanks a lot, HTC.]

Are there specs on the upcoming S5, and if I do go with a used Nexus 5 or S4 instead, is there a good guide on taking your 2-year upgrade from Sprint and selling a new phone with it (iPhone 5, presumably?) for the maximum return on investment? I.e., is there a trick in who you order it from, how to keep it from being unboxed or activated upon receipt so you can sell it with the least hassle?

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 1, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone know if Sprint is ever actually going to have a good network, at least in North Carolina? Every now and then I call their support and they always claim the new towers will be online soon. I have heard this for 3 years. I still, in now 2014, get calls, in the middle of town, where my phone never rings and then 20 minutes later a voicemail shows up. It isn't like I live out in the country, I live in the dead middle of Raleigh, one of the most tech savvy cities in the country, and my cell phone does not get service in my own house. I have the S3 and I went to the store asking if they had a different phone with better signal reception, but they said it does not matter which phone I use.

Do they have an actual upgrade plan, like a real one? Does anyone know? Bad service was fine when I was just using my phone for personal stuff, but now missed calls actually cost me money since I have a business.

I am a SERO holdout but I am probably going to have to eat the higher bill soon. I love Sprint's customer service but drat their networks sucks still. I actually think it has gotten worse.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
For those of you with 4g coverage. Do you find your calls dropping when going from a 4g tower to 3g tower or vice versa. I have it happen every single time I go through area by my house.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint is ever actually going to have a good network, at least in North Carolina?

Bad service was fine when I was just using my phone for personal stuff, but now missed calls actually cost me money since I have a business.

I am a SERO holdout but I am probably going to have to eat the higher bill soon. I love Sprint's customer service but drat their networks sucks still. I actually think it has gotten worse.

Yes they have a plan, but as you said it's been 3 years. Go switch to TMo, and your bill might even go down and get much better service. TMo prepaid with Moto X/Nexus 5 is very reasonable for what you get/price. Once you're done with the phone you can just sell it too.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

For those of you with 4g coverage. Do you find your calls dropping when going from a 4g tower to 3g tower or vice versa. I have it happen every single time I go through area by my house.

No don't drop when switching between tower technologies, however I do tend to drop data. What's the phone? Might be a Spark thing.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Stick100 posted:

No don't drop when switching between tower technologies, however I do tend to drop data. What's the phone? Might be a Spark thing.

Sorry, should have specified. A galaxy note 3

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Stick100 posted:

Yes they have a plan, but as you said it's been 3 years. Go switch to TMo, and your bill might even go down and get much better service. TMo prepaid with Moto X/Nexus 5 is very reasonable for what you get/price. Once you're done with the phone you can just sell it too.

I think I am going to find a prepaid which uses another network, get a phone to test it out, and if it works significantly better I am going to switch. I wish Sprint could get their act together because they have amazing customer service. Unfortunately, when I call a friend who also has Sprint I'd say our chances of having a clear phone call are below 50%.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yup. The towers don't hand off calls gracefully.

It's possible it might in some parts of the country. Around here I think Samsung is handling the NV rollout, and the new towers that they're using don't talk to the old towers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint is ever actually going to have a good network,

It's always possible. Honestly, data speeds should get better, but long term the question is whether they can start relying on roaming on Verizon LTE once Verizon moves away from voice on CDMA and to voice over LTE.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Hurting as in broken somehow? Because mine is trucking along awesomely with CM11.

I'm running low on internal storage. About 25% of the time I try to open the camera, it fails and I have to reboot to fix it. But that's fine because the phone randomly reboots itself about once every couple of days. Opening Chrome or trying to update apps through the Play Store guarantees the phone will run like crap for the next 20 minutes.

Many of these problems are probably fixable by flashing CM, but if I'm going to start from scratch, at this point, I'd rather it be with a new phone....

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

For some reason, any time my mother texts me, I get those messages generally 3 or 4 times. This is especially the case when the text in question is split up into multiple texts (which NEVER arrive in order, which always makes for an interesting puzzle). Similarly, I usually gets texts from my wife twice, sometimes three times. These are typically single messages, though.

Other people I text (on other networks) don't have this problem. It's really just these two people. I'm guessing with my mom it's because Sprint service is so spotty in southern Indiana that her iPhone thinks the messages failed to deliver and re-sends them. I don't know what's up with my wife's S4, though. In any case, I presume there's nothing I can do about this?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
One thing I'm curious about with the potential TMobile merger is whether they'll start allowing their phones that can work on both CDMA and GSM to get SIM cards that will allow them to use the TMobile network. That'd be a really quick way to solidify their network in one fell swoop for a hell of a lot of users.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

AstroZamboni posted:

One thing I'm curious about with the potential TMobile merger is whether they'll start allowing their phones that can work on both CDMA and GSM to get SIM cards that will allow them to use the TMobile network. That'd be a really quick way to solidify their network in one fell swoop for a hell of a lot of users.
I think they could release new phones that would work on both in the interim until the networks go all LTE, but I'd be surprised if they did anything special for existing phones.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That would blow, considering the Sprint iPhone 5S theoretically supports all of the bands used by TMobile.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

It's always possible. Honestly, data speeds should get better, but long term the question is whether they can start relying on roaming on Verizon LTE once Verizon moves away from voice on CDMA and to voice over LTE.

You think they will go through the hassle of adding a different LTE band to Sprint phones just for roaming on Verizon when needed?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Any word on when the Spark GS4 will be in stores? My parents have an upgrade ready and I'd like for them to both have Spark phones.

Just looked and saw that it's on sprint.com's Phones section today (as a Spark phone), but the website says no stores within 50 miles have it yet :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brc64 posted:

For some reason, any time my mother texts me, I get those messages generally 3 or 4 times. This is especially the case when the text in question is split up into multiple texts (which NEVER arrive in order, which always makes for an interesting puzzle). Similarly, I usually gets texts from my wife twice, sometimes three times. These are typically single messages, though.

Other people I text (on other networks) don't have this problem. It's really just these two people. I'm guessing with my mom it's because Sprint service is so spotty in southern Indiana that her iPhone thinks the messages failed to deliver and re-sends them. I don't know what's up with my wife's S4, though. In any case, I presume there's nothing I can do about this?

This was happening periodically between my wife and I. Both on Sprint with Samsung Moments. With a little experimentation we realized it's definitely what you suggested: one of us will send a text, get a notification from our phone that it didn't go through, and retry. Meanwhile the text actually did go through, so now it gets sent again.

We upgraded to Galaxy S4s just before christmas and it hasn't happened again, yet.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I have an HTC One, upgraded from maybe six months ago. I just got my wife a Nexus 5 for Christmas for her upgrade and I am jealous of her stock Android experience. On the internet it's easy to find ways to convert GSM HTC Ones to stock Android...but I'm having trouble finding a way to convert my Sprint HTC One to stock Android. Is it possible?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

that one guy posted:

I have an HTC One, upgraded from maybe six months ago. I just got my wife a Nexus 5 for Christmas for her upgrade and I am jealous of her stock Android experience. On the internet it's easy to find ways to convert GSM HTC Ones to stock Android...but I'm having trouble finding a way to convert my Sprint HTC One to stock Android. Is it possible?

No it isn't. You can run Cyanogenmod (or one of the other stock-like ROMs), but there is no way that I know of to convert a CDMA One to GPe.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Bah. Is there a place where I can find a good rundown of available mods with SA-like post detail?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

that one guy posted:

Bah. Is there a place where I can find a good rundown of available mods with SA-like post detail?

Just go get Cyanogenmod. It's close enough and even has nice tweaks that make it slightly more convenient than stock Android.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!

EbolaIvory posted:

Unless this is a recent thing that's not how it works.

Corp retail reps process the upgrade by choosing a new plan then call the internal number and have them flip it back to sero.

Is possible but it's not a quick process like a normal upgrade.

If it's been changed awesome but sero was never working for retail corporate reps.

Surely this a YMMV, and in fact I called a different store in the same area and they were not certain if it was possible. I moved grandma from a flip phone to an LG G2 with this method. She loves the phone btw, now chromecasting.

Also, I interacted and observed their billing system as they were doing the account coding. (I'm an Engineering Analyst for a very big ISP and was curious.) It looks like SERO codes are not listed as options from their menu, but can be typed in (we use the term "hardcoded"). This is pretty standard practice for services that are no longer being offered and can cause confusion for folks who don't have a method for looking up the code. I had the retail person use my account as a template.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

UFO posted:

Surely this a YMMV, and in fact I called a different store in the same area and they were not certain if it was possible. I moved grandma from a flip phone to an LG G2 with this method. She loves the phone btw, now chromecasting.

Also, I interacted and observed their billing system as they were doing the account coding. (I'm an Engineering Analyst for a very big ISP and was curious.) It looks like SERO codes are not listed as options from their menu, but can be typed in (we use the term "hardcoded"). This is pretty standard practice for services that are no longer being offered and can cause confusion for folks who don't have a method for looking up the code. I had the retail person use my account as a template.

Again, Even with the "codes known" nobody in our store (corporate) as of 4 months or so ago, could apply sero plans. It throws an error and we had to call our fancy help line.

No big deal, and maybe things have changed (hopefully). But its gotta be YMMV.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 5, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
As a former Sprint rep I can tell you that it can be done in store. I was one of the few people who looked up in the M&P's the actual method of processing the SERO upgrades. It does involve searching for the correct code, but unfortunately there are so many different SERO codes that it becomes a case of trial and error to find the one that works for that phone. There are upwards of 5-10 different SERO codes for the same plan, it just depends on what model phone is being used. Definitely wasn't easy.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I gave in and bought a Note 3. I guess I didn't realize it only came out about 3 months ago. I'm barely even through the new features and loving it so far. My only real complaint is that something keeps telling me that an app has tried to do something bad (don't think this is Knox, might be SE Linux, not sure) but I can't figure out how to tell what the offending app is or how to allow or disallow it.

That, and LightFlow has a constant notification in my app drawer now. I think maybe I didn't have that on my S3 because it was rooted. I haven't bothered looking into the root options (if there are any) for the Note 3 yet.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mahoning posted:

As a former Sprint rep I can tell you that it can be done in store. I was one of the few people who looked up in the M&P's the actual method of processing the SERO upgrades. It does involve searching for the correct code, but unfortunately there are so many different SERO codes that it becomes a case of trial and error to find the one that works for that phone. There are upwards of 5-10 different SERO codes for the same plan, it just depends on what model phone is being used. Definitely wasn't easy.

Like ebola said, it's a YMMV thing. As a current sprint rep, I cannot process SERO upgrades in store. It simply will not let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm a Sprint indirect and if I'm doing SERO I have to change it to Unlimited My Way and then call NSS and have them set it back.

I frequently do this and just pretend I did it all on my end so people don't stress about it.