Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rapdawg posted:

As I do not have all the time in the world to game I'm going to Wikipedia read the first few games then because I love the concepts in the game(s) and would rather spend my time on the fun newer ones than burn myself out going through everything.

Which games are a good buy for the Vita, should I get 3 or instead just go into 4?

3 and 4 are very good games for very different reasons, mostly involving the theme of the respective games (death/life and truth, respectively). If you're only planning to play one Persona game ever then I would just go to 4, it is much more accessible and doesn't have the long aimless gaps that 3 sometimes has. On the other hand, going back and playing 3 after playing 4 will be hard as hell due to the fixes 4 made to the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I got P4G a few weeks ago and have already mashed through it. Jesus Christ. I don't know the last time I loved a game this much, if ever.

So I need more of this. I already ordered P4A and will play though that for whatever story it has (I like fighting games in general, have sticks, etc., so even if it's rather light I'll get a kick out of it). But for some more Persona RPG love I want to play 3. Should I do FES on an emulator (my PS2 is broken) or P3P? P3P looks pretty horribly ugly… I would prefer to play on a portable, but can deal with playing at my desk if it's better. Opinions? I apologize if this has been asked 7000 times in this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P3P is pretty ugly but it's pretty much a better *game* than FES in every aspect. That said, the story suffers a little since there's no in-engine cutscenes, just visual novel-style talking heads. It's a toss-up.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If I had access to a PSP or a Vita there is no way in loving hell I would have willingly forced myself through FES. The ability to control your party members is something you sort of take for granted until you play a game without it.

It doesn't seem like that big of an issue at the beginning but then you get Mitsuru and discover her love for Marin Karin and you want to die inside. There's specific tactic options, sure, but they all have their own little quirks and it's real drat easy to forget to switch them mid-battle.

Honestly though nothing is nearly as bad in that regard as how the AI behaves during the final form of the final boss when it comes to...that one thing it does. Boy loving howdy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The female protagonist improves the game dramatically. I hated the social links when I first played FES.

Color Printer posted:

If I had access to a PSP or a Vita there is no way in loving hell I would have willingly forced myself through FES. The ability to control your party members is something you sort of take for granted until you play a game without it.

It doesn't seem like that big of an issue at the beginning but then you get Mitsuru and discover her love for Marin Karin and you want to die inside. There's specific tactic options, sure, but they all have their own little quirks and it's real drat easy to forget to switch them mid-battle.

Honestly though nothing is nearly as bad in that regard as how the AI behaves during the final form of the final boss when it comes to...that one thing it does. Boy loving howdy.

Plus, there's Moonless Gown, which reflects all your attacks, which wouldn't be a problem if in FES party members you've revived didn't take their turn before you, meaning you have to predict when it might use Moonless Gown a turn in advance or they'll run in and eat their own attack.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 18, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E: double post

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rapdawg posted:

As I do not have all the time in the world to game I'm going to Wikipedia read the first few games then because I love the concepts in the game(s) and would rather spend my time on the fun newer ones than burn myself out going through everything.

Which games are a good buy for the Vita, should I get 3 or instead just go into 4?
Just get 4. My view is kind of skewed because I don't like 3 all that much but these games are extremely long and I really regretted putting off 4 for so long because "Well I have to play them in order!" This is especially the case for P4G which made so many quality of life improvements.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

P3P and P4G are all you need. Personally I recognize that 4 is a better game, but I like 3 more, if that makes sense.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Kinda off topic, but MAN is the theme song to the anime completely bonkers. It's gibberish in the way that they wrote the lyrics in Japanese, ran it through a free translation website to English and fit it to a song.

Shame the second half isn't on Hulu. Guess I'll end up having to buy it after all.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'd start on P4G and go back to P3P. There's no need to play them in order -- there's a few callbacks to P3 in P4 but they are minor and it's not a continuing story or anything like that. P4 has a better chance of sucking you in and getting you used to the mechanics, and then if you are itching for more Persona you can pick up P3. P3 is a good game too (and P3P's mechanics are closer to P4) but it's a little more primitive in some ways, and you may be more prepared to accept that if you've already bought into the setting.

I think the callbacks from P3 work just as well if you play them in reverse order. It was pretty funny seeing (minor P3P spoiler I guess) Kashiwagi on the beach during Operation Babe Hunt.

And then go play (or watch a Let's Play of) Persona 4 Arena to see the convergence of the two stories.

I never made it through 1 or 2, although I have them on my Vita and plan to get around to them eventually. But they are very different from 3 and 4.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 18, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Soul Glo posted:

Kinda off topic, but MAN is the theme song to the anime completely bonkers. It's gibberish in the way that they wrote the lyrics in Japanese, ran it through a free translation website to English and fit it to a song.

Shame the second half isn't on Hulu. Guess I'll end up having to buy it after all.

It wouldn't be Jpop if it didn't include some nonsensical English. Although if you're referring to Reach Out For The Truth then I will fight anyone who says that it's a bad song. :ese:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Clint Howard posted:

Like, it'd be cool to have a persona with all four elemental offensive spells, but I have no idea where to even begin.

You'll eventually be able to carry twelve of them at once, so more than two elements on a single Persona is overkill.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A few days ago Pop Fiction did an episode on the blinking eye symbol that popped up occasionally (usually on Jiraiya) on the original Persona 4.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/hr8sy9/pop-fiction-episode-41--persona-4--yosuke-s-eye

A bit of a let down, but it was pretty weird at the time.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is the first I've heard of that. It's kind of creepy. What in the world was that eye supposed to be used for? It has an animation and everything.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

My guess is that it was a beta mechanic that was scrapped, but never fully removed from the game. The "glitch" mentioned would therefore be something causing the eye's "activation flag" to trigger, not the eye itself.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

3 and 4 are very good games for very different reasons, mostly involving the theme of the respective games (death/life and truth, respectively). If you're only planning to play one Persona game ever then I would just go to 4, it is much more accessible and doesn't have the long aimless gaps that 3 sometimes has. On the other hand, going back and playing 3 after playing 4 will be hard as hell due to the fixes 4 made to the mechanics.

projecthalaxy posted:

P3P and P4G are all you need. Personally I recognize that 4 is a better game, but I like 3 more, if that makes sense.

I'm going to go for P3P and then P4G just for the sake of going with improvements and because I may get the later one cheaper after playing the former as time passes.. that probably won't happen but why not. I suppose I will see you all in time!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Iceclaw posted:

You're not overpowered, IS is just that easy.

Eternal Punishment, on the other hand...

Old Maid!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If I recall, I think there's a trick to avoid taking damage during Old Maid where you set everyone in your party to guard, so the person under the spell doesn't attack the rest of the party.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Butt Ghost posted:

If I recall, I think there's a trick to avoid taking damage during Old Maid where you set everyone in your party to guard, so the person under the spell doesn't attack the rest of the party.

Yeah, that's the trick. If you don't know that, however, the game won't tell you and you'll just watch your team get horribly murdered by the first boss. And many of the bosses to follow.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A few days ago Pop Fiction did an episode on the blinking eye symbol that popped up occasionally (usually on Jiraiya) on the original Persona 4.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/hr8sy9/pop-fiction-episode-41--persona-4--yosuke-s-eye

A bit of a let down, but it was pretty weird at the time.

The eye looks very much like it's inspired by Ameno Sagiri to me.
They mention that it seems to be often triggered by a maxed social link; perhaps it was some kind of mark which would determine if a character could see through the whole mind-trick section at the end of the game?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, whatever it was, it seems way too intricate and deliberate to be some random graphics glitch. It's too bad they never would say what they had planned for it. I'm a sucker for cut and unused content.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually amazed there hasn't been any real work into editing Persona 4. I know someone did an undub and there's a TCRF page on Persona 3 FES, but you would think someone with programming know how would look for it.

E: Looking through the lists, it appears one person figured out how to swap sound files out (likely the source of the undub) and then there were a few graphics files that were also there.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 21, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ddogflex posted:

I got P4G a few weeks ago and have already mashed through it. Jesus Christ. I don't know the last time I loved a game this much, if ever.

So I need more of this. I already ordered P4A and will play though that for whatever story it has (I like fighting games in general, have sticks, etc., so even if it's rather light I'll get a kick out of it). But for some more Persona RPG love I want to play 3. Should I do FES on an emulator (my PS2 is broken) or P3P? P3P looks pretty horribly ugly… I would prefer to play on a portable, but can deal with playing at my desk if it's better. Opinions? I apologize if this has been asked 7000 times in this thread.

If you're worried primarily about story, you'll want to do the male protag side of P3P since that is the canon story and a bit of P4A deals with the consequences of the end of P3. And those consequences become even more important with P4A2 it is looking since some more P3 characters pop up in the roster.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I'm playing P3P and was wondering how much does what you say actually matter for the social links? I'm pretty early in the game, but no matter what I say the links seem to be getting stronger. Like eg. I had completely opposite opinion about the school uniforms than the the student council guy, but still he now apparently trusts me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Different options boost the Social Link by different amounts. You picked the right one.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Zilkin posted:

I'm playing P3P and was wondering how much does what you say actually matter for the social links? I'm pretty early in the game, but no matter what I say the links seem to be getting stronger. Like eg. I had completely opposite opinion about the school uniforms than the the student council guy, but still he now apparently trusts me.

Yeah, depending on the personality of the character, harsher answers sometimes win you more points with them. From what I remember, the sports guys in both P3 and P4 like it when you're competitive in the first few scenes, but appreciate genuine concern when they actually have some more serious problem.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When you say something to them, you will notice some musical notes fly out of their head along with a jingle. It indicates how well the choice was recieved. You can get up to 3 per dialog choice, but that's if you pick the right thing and have a persona with their same arcana. Some of the choices will only give smaller amounts no matter what you pick, so don't be resetting all the time for min/maxing.

Also, don't hug Yukari

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't worry about getting all the Social Links. There are just barely enough days to do them all even on the most optimized run. I finished my last one in P3P on the final day of the game. You've almost certainly already hosed yourself out of it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Hey guys, got a question...

How do y'all handle the level of all your party members? When I got Kanji, I picked him in place of Yosuke, then picked Teddie instead of Kanji when I got him. I need to go back and hit the optional bosses in the Bath House and Stripclub, so I could probably use the lower level party members to grind up to a reasonable level there, but just curious if everyone is being careful to swap out party members to even things out, or just picking a party and sticking with it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not too much trouble to keep everyone's levels even, and since they all have different strengths it's a good idea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Flumpus posted:

How do y'all handle the level of all your party members? When I got Kanji, I picked him in place of Yosuke, then picked Teddie instead of Kanji when I got him. I need to go back and hit the optional bosses in the Bath House and Stripclub, so I could probably use the lower level party members to grind up to a reasonable level there, but just curious if everyone is being careful to swap out party members to even things out, or just picking a party and sticking with it.

It's very easy to keep everyone pretty evenly levelled, though MC and Rise will end up ahead.

It's also possible to stick with your favourites if you don't mind the MC patching up in certain fights.

Dehry posted:

Also, don't hug Yukari

Funnily this also applies to Rise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Flumpus posted:

I did what you did. My final team was MC, Chie, Yukiko and the last character you get. Finished the game pretty easily this way.

It doesn't REALLY matter who you use since you can cover any type weakness holes with the MC. I kept Chie and Yukiko together for their team attack, plus Yukiko gets stupidly strong/useful late game. Just use who you like.

e: Also besides the team attack, Chie's Galactic Punt helped out a lot.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

e: Also besides the team attack, Chie's Galactic Punt helped out a lot.

Heh, ya, I'm finding Galactic Punt to be really dumb and awesome... I just got the key in the Void Quest dungeon (which I missed my first trip up, so had to go back). I'm guessing that fight was supposed to be harder than it was, but I knocked down the summoned guy, and Chie decided that was the perfect time to essentially end the fight by punting the main guy off into the void.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Flumpus posted:

Heh, ya, I'm finding Galactic Punt to be really dumb and awesome... I just got the key in the Void Quest dungeon (which I missed my first trip up, so had to go back). I'm guessing that fight was supposed to be harder than it was, but I knocked down the summoned guy, and Chie decided that was the perfect time to essentially end the fight by punting the main guy off into the void.

It's wonderful when that happens. That fight rules.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm almost at the end of P3P and loved the game aside from the fact that many social links were hard to get and many requests never appeared for me because I did not finish one of them, which always makes me frustrated not because I need to 100% a game but because it seemed to be a unnecessary limit.

I have a month left and now much choose if I want to focus on Lovers, Empress, or Aeon- why must I choose? Definitely something I'm going to consider and look into while I play Persona 4 Golden.

To take a break from P3P's grinding I actually started Golden and although the 3D is something I'm taking a while to get used to the game is pretty beautiful and has a nice feel to it even if some of the voice actors bother me and one of the first scenes legitimately bothered me in real life.

When male friend Yosuke meets his own Shadow and confronts his issues I was loving nervous in real life because of how well it was done and because we spent a lot of time on Jung in Psychology class. Pretty decent representation of Jung's concept of your "Shadow" with artistic liberties to make it awesome.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Rapdawg posted:

When male friend Yosuke meets his own Shadow and confronts his issues I was loving nervous in real life because of how well it was done and because we spent a lot of time on Jung in Psychology class. Pretty decent representation of Jung's concept of your "Shadow" with artistic liberties to make it awesome.

Oh, you're in for a treat, then. Yosuke's shadow is possibly one of the less malicious. Though that doesn't mean it's not spiteful and unsettling as hell, but there are a few that are really worse. Regarding the voice actors, Chie, the girl in green, which I presume is the one that grates you, get much better after the beginning. And she's still overall better than her former voice, which sounded like she was in her forties and devoid of emotion.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Oh, you're in for a treat, then. Yosuke's shadow is possibly one of the less malicious. Though that doesn't mean it's not spiteful and unsettling as hell, but there are a few that are really worse. Regarding the voice actors, Chie, the girl in green, which I presume is the one that grates you, get much better after the beginning. And she's still overall better than her former voice, which sounded like she was in her forties and devoid of emotion.

I love when people know exactly who bothers me because I'm not the only one. :unsmith:

I do however like your cousin the little girl to the point where my hate for the word Junes is beaten by the adorable singing she does when spewing back out corporate advertisement like a proper future consumer should.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think the "imperfections" in new Chie's voice, not her voice acting per se but her voice, are what I like about her. It makes her feel a little bit more her age. A hell of a lot more so than old Chie anyway :v:

I dunno it pleases me in a kind of nebulous way given that I felt like most of the cast of Persona 3 felt way older than they were supposed to be.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, I agree her new voice makes her sound muh more like a teen, but she gets a bit too screechy in the early game, to the point it just makes her unpleasant to hear.

Rapdawg posted:

I love when people know exactly who bothers me because I'm not the only one. :unsmith:

I do however like your cousin the little girl to the point where my hate for the word Junes is beaten by the adorable singing she does when spewing back out corporate advertisement like a proper future consumer should.

Nanako is the best. Oh, and let me guess, the scene that bothered you at the beginning is the commercial with the teen in a bikini, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Nanako is the best. Oh, and let me guess, the scene that bothered you at the beginning is the commercial with the teen in a bikini, right?

Nah, scroll over my spoiler to reveal the correct answer. Don't worry about missing this one question Iceclaw, you can still raise your Academics/Knowledge easily during the rest of the thread and not miss unlocking anything.

• Locked thread