Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So even though I know that, by now, it's somewhat old but I finally gave Lorde's album a listen.
It wasn't that I didn't like the album. I think it's rather good actually. I just forgot every song on it except Tennis Court, 400 Lux and A World Alone. But I can't help thinking that this album is what Lana Del Rey always wanted Born To Die to be, but considering that they are separate artists with completely different identities it's probably just a silly thought. But I am surprised. Lorde's got talent and I can't wait for her to make more music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Stalins Moustache posted:

So even though I know that, by now, it's somewhat old but I finally gave Lorde's album a listen.
It wasn't that I didn't like the album. I think it's rather good actually. I just forgot every song on it except Tennis Court, 400 Lux and A World Alone. But I can't help thinking that this album is what Lana Del Rey always wanted Born To Die to be, but considering that they are separate artists with completely different identities it's probably just a silly thought. But I am surprised. Lorde's got talent and I can't wait for her to make more music.

This was mentioned before ... "Lorde's 'Pure Heroine' Is the Album Lana Del Rey Wishes She Made"

"Lorde also manages to make each song on her album distinct and unique, with which Del Rey had some trouble.... It's almost as if Lorde took all of the things that were good from Del Rey's debut and fine-tuned them to create a better, more interesting result."

Here it's interesting to listen to the Born to Die demos, which have a very Pure Heroine sort of production. But clearly what Lana wanted to do is evoke the sound and aesthetic of 60's baroque pop, which is what the reviewers have entirely missed; Lorde didn't. So this article has it exactly backwards, I think; it is more like Lorde took away everything that was idiosyncratic and unique about BTD and replaced it with some fairly straightforward, pretty-good alternative pop music stripped of irony and nostalgia for a paradisaical Zep Tepi before any of her listeners were born, which was clearly easier to digest by the GP.

So clearly, the essential distinction, revealed in Tropico, is this: Lana is Eve in the red dress immersed in the world of flux and corruption seeking redemption, while Lorde is Mary inviolate in white, subsisting as an eternal hypostasis of the Godhead and in need of nothing.

I am sure Lorde is rather tired of all of these comparisons, though.

100 weeks on the Billboard 200 :patriot:

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 6, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Any other Ejecta fans here? Dreamy, snythy glory. I can't get enough. Similar recommendations would be very welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXLmdPADzY

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wow. Me gusta.

edit: National Anthem holy poo poo (the first one - at first I was thinking, "What song is this?")

edit 2: Is it possible to legally obtain this in at least 192?

the truth fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

nomapple posted:

Any other Ejecta fans here? Dreamy, snythy glory. I can't get enough. Similar recommendations would be very welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXLmdPADzY

A bit too much dreampop for me. Not that I don't mind it at all, but it feels like it could be included in the Drive soundtrack or be some band inspired by Cocteau Twins.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Woo, second post in a row!
Kyla la Grange just released her newest song and, similar to my previous comment, it sounds a bit dreampop. But I like it! It grew on me as I listened to it again. But I still prefer her debut single, Walk Through Walls which was just an amazing song.

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2014/01/premiere-kyla-la-grange-cut-teeth/

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Kylie Minogue is working with will.i.am on her new album :(

I feel like their sound isn't compatible at all. I'm worried she's going to try too hard to break into the US and the album will be generic garbage. Don't do it Kylie!!!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Kylie Minogue is working with will.i.am on her new album :(

I feel like their sound isn't compatible at all. I'm worried she's going to try too hard to break into the US and the album will be generic garbage. Don't do it Kylie!!!

Eh, it's only a couple of songs and we can't be sure they'll be on the record and with the first single coming out real soon just stay positive.

I BELIEVE IN YOU KYLIE DONT gently caress IT UP

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Will's not a bad producer honestly, just keep him the gently caress away from the mic.

m1chelin man
Jan 6, 2014

by angerbeet
i hope things work out for ke$ha. she went to a 30 day rehab for an eating disorder.

the media is painting dr luke like a villain

I hope in any case that she gets some artistic freedom to make the good music I know she can.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
That news was sad, I love Ke$ha and people said terrible things about her body. I hope she gets better soon :(

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

m1chelin man posted:

i hope things work out for ke$ha. she went to a 30 day rehab for an eating disorder.

the media is painting dr luke like a villain

I hope in any case that she gets some artistic freedom to make the good music I know she can.

I agree. It was only because Tik Tok was such a huge single worldwide that they wanted to keep selling the image of her being a hardcore partymusic girl. It's weird when her unreleased stuff is much better than over a half of her album. Get well, Kesha. I'm still a fan!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That news was sad, I love Ke$ha and people said terrible things about her body. I hope she gets better soon :(

drat, that's the first I've heard of this. Why are people such jerks.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Happy Monday, everybody!

New Lily Allen song: "Air Balloon"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUGaXUwh-ak

New Shakira song (featuring Rihanna): "Can't Remember to Forget You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VMyHr1gIg

edit: also new Paloma Faith (produced by Pharrell!): "Can't Rely on You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imi9Smkt_cI

2013 was a disappointment as a whole but 2014 is off to a very good start.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 13, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

FREE KE$HA

the truth posted:

Wow. Me gusta.

edit: National Anthem holy poo poo (the first one - at first I was thinking, "What song is this?")

edit 2: Is it possible to legally obtain this in at least 192?

That isn't a good representation because the tracks are sped up; high-quality versions are out there, both on YT and ... elsewhere. "Without You" is :angel:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah, I tracked down versions that weren't sped up. I hope she uses some of this sound in Ultra Violence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PUGGERNAUT posted:

2013 was a disappointment as a whole but 2014 is off to a very good start.
Yeah.

I'm super pumped for this below. Song landed late last month but the album is due in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOboa27SHDE

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's the first time I've heard of this too, which is weird to me because I am a total celebrity gossip junkie. People do suck.

Time to listen to Gold Trans Am on repeat in honor of Ke$ha. The only girl who can get away with calling her vagina a gold Trans Am.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Sprat Sandwich posted:

That royally sucks. My running list is dominant by Ke$ha tracks.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Pharrell Williams got an Oscar nomination for Happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

I know it won't win but I sure hope it does.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah.

I'm super pumped for this below. Song landed late last month but the album is due in February.

This is great. Album is going to be great.

There's also a new Kylie song out it's called 'Into The Blue'. It's OK if kinda generic. Then again not every song can be 'I Just Can't Get You Out of My Head'.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 24, 2014

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah.

Is there no way to buy the song in America? I want to pay money for this.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

the truth posted:

Is there no way to buy the song in America? I want to pay money for this.

Well since the UK doesn't believe in on-air-on-sale it actually releases on January 26th. I don't know if it is worldwide, though.

It's up on Spotify.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah.

Now it's stuck in my head.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Katy B is great. If you haven't listened to her first CD, I recommend it. The standout track is Perfect Stranger.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

After getting hooked on the song posted in this thread I listened to a bunch of her old stuff and Perfect Stranger was the only one that did anything for me.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

After getting hooked on the song posted in this thread I listened to a bunch of her old stuff and Perfect Stranger was the only one that did anything for me.

You should listen to 5 AM - It wasn't on her last album, it was a standalone single she released for her new CD. It's very similar to Perfect Stranger. I'm on mobile so i can't link it :(

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Here's the video for 5 AM if anyone's interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDE2OMZtExY

And here's a really good live performance of Crying For No Reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9oUQqkmwlI

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It seems like Crying For No Reason was only released in the UK, unfortunately.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Here's a list of the Grammy winners relevant to this thread:

*Album Of The Year: "Random Access Memories" — Daft Punk
*Record Of The Year: "Get Lucky" — Daft Punk & Pharrell Williams
*Song Of The Year: "Royals" — Joel Little & Ella Yelich O'Connor, songwriters (Lorde)
*Best New Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
*Best Pop Solo Performance: "Royals" — Lorde
*Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: "Get Lucky" — Daft Punk & Pharrell Williams
*Best Pop Vocal Album: "Unorthodox Jukebox" -- Bruno Mars
*Best Dance/Electronica Album: Random Access Memories — Daft Punk
*Best Dance Recording: "Clarity" -- Zedd Featuring Foxes
*Best Song Written For Visual Media: "Skyfall" from "Skyfall"-- Adele Adkins & Paul Epworth, songwriters (Adele)
*Best Music Video: Suit & Tie -- Justin Timberlake Featuring Jay Z (David Fincher, video director; Timory King, video producer)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I remember really getting in to the 'Get Lucky' snippets and the song is pretty good but except for that RAM is the most boring album I listened to last year.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm happy lorde did well, and clarity is great, but other than that what a poo poo grammies...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Funniest moment of the night was a fleeting glimpse of Taylor Swift getting her "surprised face" ready just before RAM was announced as AOTY.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Huh, I could have sworn there were more than three records released last year.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Funniest moment of the night was a fleeting glimpse of Taylor Swift getting her "surprised face" ready just before RAM was announced as AOTY.

… is RAM!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I remember really getting in to the 'Get Lucky' snippets and the song is pretty good but except for that RAM is the most boring album I listened to last year.

Get Lucky and Instant Crush were the only two songs I even kept from that album. Kendrick Lamar deserved to win :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, hey, at least we know what she looks like when she's actually surprised now!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, hey, at least we know what she looks like when she's actually surprised now!

To be fair for a split second I also thought Red had won. I propose from this moment onwards all nominations ever must start with a different letter.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Hi, can someone please tell DJ Fresh to come home soon? He's not taken his medication in a while and I'm worried about what he might do. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I found this far too funny not to share.

But in other news, I am about to go see our(nz) own double Grammy winner live tonight. I'll let you know how it is, though I am confident the festival is going to be amazing whether she smashes it out the park or not. Chvrches, Doprah, HAIM, Lorde, Cat Power. Absolutely killer lineup.