Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

OjaiYoda posted:

I have been passively looking for a 50mm lens for my mamiya 6. are there any sites anyone can recommend besides things like ebay, or keh?

Their website makes KEH's look like Amazon's by comparison, but I've had pretty decent luck with Igor Camera. They have one for $620 listed in EX condition, which isn't quite as cheap as the $550-ish one on eBay, but will be in much nicer shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

OjaiYoda posted:

I have been passively looking for a 50mm lens for my mamiya 6. are there any sites anyone can recommend besides things like ebay, or keh?

You see them quite often on the Classifieds part of Rangefinderforum.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Loaded up some portra and dragged my RB-67 around Mackinac Island a couple of months back:

EDIT: Holy crap I suck at cropping edges.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some more wet plate today, pretty much getting a good exposure on nearly every plate these days, doesn't mean everyone is a winner though (best of the day):

Pole Spot by mr_student, on Flickr
(4x5)

Also had a crack at Argyrotypes today, managed to get an image but they were pretty soft and very low contrast. Still, looks like it'll be a fun process to work on.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some more TMAX 400

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Hong Kong architecure:

img051 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

_DSC4571 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

alkanphel posted:

Some more TMAX 400

These are great.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Oh dear I like velvia so much better than the couple of color print films I've tried.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Potted Plant, Eunos, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Look what arrived :)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Luckyyyyy!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

I decided i wasn't using my pentax 6x7 enough. it's too heavy and bulky to be my go-to medium format camera, so i wanted something more portable. was considering a 6x9 with a hot shoe meter but this was only 2 or 3 hundred more and is a lot more compact and has a built in meter. i still need to sell the 6x7, i'll list it on sa mart or something.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Needs a hand-hold shot to reveal how comically larger than expected it is. I've wanted one of those for a long time, but there's always another damned camera in the way when I have the money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Those are pretty sweet.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Genderfluid posted:

I decided i wasn't using my pentax 6x7 enough. it's too heavy and bulky to be my go-to medium format camera, so i wanted something more portable. was considering a 6x9 with a hot shoe meter but this was only 2 or 3 hundred more and is a lot more compact and has a built in meter. i still need to sell the 6x7, i'll list it on sa mart or something.

I might be interested, depending on what you're asking for it.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ZippySLC posted:

I might be interested, depending on what you're asking for it.

I have the body, the metering prism, the 105 2.4, and the wooden grip. On keh that would go for around $600 + shipping, I was planning on listing it at $500.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
6x12, Astia: both things that rule.

Dol Ar Store by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Beach Pines by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mouth of the Columbia by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Coast Guard Cape Disappointment by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
god i love that format.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Unpacking from a weeklong trip, only busted the Hassie out for the main attraction: shooting Japanese macaques playing in the snow/hot springs at Jigokudani.

Had left a film box marker in the back of my color back and shot the whole thing. Just now found out as I went to unload it that the back had in fact never been loaded. :suicide: Still got about 16 frames of B&W plus plenty with digital, but ugh. I am the worst.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Unpacking from a weeklong trip, only busted the Hassie out for the main attraction: shooting Japanese macaques playing in the snow/hot springs at Jigokudani.

Had left a film box marker in the back of my color back and shot the whole thing. Just now found out as I went to unload it that the back had in fact never been loaded. :suicide: Still got about 16 frames of B&W plus plenty with digital, but ugh. I am the worst.

I put a piece of gaff tape over the winder if there's film in a back. That way I never accidentally bump it taking it out of the bag and I always know which backs are loaded.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just impromptu bought a GW690II :getin:

What kind of color film should I buy to start? I haven't shot film in years, and I never used color.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Just impromptu bought a GW690II :getin:

What kind of color film should I buy to start? I haven't shot film in years, and I never used color.

Portra 400.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Alright, I'll snag a few rolls right now, thanks. I've always loved Velvia and never had a chance to shoot with it. Is it just more difficult to work with since its 50/100 speed only?

edit: Also,

MrBlandAverage posted:

6x12, Astia: both things that rule.

Dol Ar Store by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Beach Pines by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mouth of the Columbia by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Coast Guard Cape Disappointment by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Awesome!

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 1, 2014

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Helicity posted:

Alright, I'll snag a few rolls right now, thanks. I've always loved Velvia and never had a chance to shoot with it. Is it just more difficult to work with since its 50/100 speed only?

it's more difficult to work with because you have a lot less latitude with slide film compared to negative. get 100 instead of 50. stick to kodak portra 400 unless you really want to try something else.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Things I learned today: Nick Brandt uses a Pentax 67,exclusively through a WLF.

And he directed the music video for that terrible 'Hands' song by Jewel.

And my plan to buy my wife one of his prints for our anniversary was hilariously misguided, and made me exit the gallery quite quickly after they told me a 20" square print was ~70k. I think they felt sorry for me, because they told me they had a more modestly prices 12x12 for 30k.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He's also married to Irish actress Orla Brady. His books are fairly large, buy one and rip out a page and mount it. Your wife will never know...

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Temp with wind chill was below 0 and I thought it was a good time to go out and take photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Temp with wind chill was below 0 and I thought it was a good time to go out and take photos.

This is quite good

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sou'wester by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Stool, Jalan Kampung Kuli, Malacca by alkanphel, on Flickr

Entrance, Jalan Kampung Kuli, Malacca by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Long exposure Portra night-shots err'y day

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking my present to myself with my 2014 tax return is going to be a medium format camera. I've had my eye on the Pentax 67 and had a few questions: 1) is there a big difference between the 67 and 67ii? The ii is almost double the price from what I can find. 2) what would be the best lens to pick up for mostly landscape and wildlife photos? 3) I've noticed that 'body only' options on key don't include a viewfinder; what are the options there?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm thinking my present to myself with my 2014 tax return is going to be a medium format camera. I've had my eye on the Pentax 67 and had a few questions: 1) is there a big difference between the 67 and 67ii? The ii is almost double the price from what I can find. 2) what would be the best lens to pick up for mostly landscape and wildlife photos? 3) I've noticed that 'body only' options on key don't include a viewfinder; what are the options there?

you should buy mine. i'm selling a 6x7, a 105 2.4, the wooden grip, and the metering prism finder.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Genderfluid posted:

you should buy mine. i'm selling a 6x7, a 105 2.4, the wooden grip, and the metering prism finder.

Once I get all my tax forms in I'll be getting in touch with ya about this (if it's still available). I'd much prefer buying from someone here, especially someone with the photos you've displayed :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

GobiasIndustries posted:

Once I get all my tax forms in I'll be getting in touch with ya about this (if it's still available). I'd much prefer buying from someone here, especially someone with the photos you've displayed :)
You do know you may not take as good photos as Genderfluid, even if you use the exact same camera as him?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Long exposure Portra night-shots err'y day

Reposting this:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Reposting this:

Could you possibly explain this chart for the dumdums like me? I see ~*MATH*~ and my brain immediately starts freaking out. So most long exposures that I do rarely get above 2 minutes and the stuff I work with the most is black and white which I feel is pretty forgiving. Definitely moving into the color front this year now that I finally have an extra back to swap out on the spot. So if I am looking at the chart, a metered scene that equals 2 minutes should have a roughly 2.5 stop correction? So does that mean if I was wanting to keep the same f-stop I would need to add more time (so instead of 2 minutes shoot for around 8 min?) and if I was wanting to keep the same time I would need to stop down 2 stops (so say metered at f16 actually shoot the scene at f6.7 or f8)? I feel like I am getting that completely wrong and just wanna make sure I understand how this is supposed to work.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

Could you possibly explain this chart for the dumdums like me? I see ~*MATH*~ and my brain immediately starts freaking out. So most long exposures that I do rarely get above 2 minutes and the stuff I work with the most is black and white which I feel is pretty forgiving. Definitely moving into the color front this year now that I finally have an extra back to swap out on the spot. So if I am looking at the chart, a metered scene that equals 2 minutes should have a roughly 2.5 stop correction? So does that mean if I was wanting to keep the same f-stop I would need to add more time (so instead of 2 minutes shoot for around 8 min?) and if I was wanting to keep the same time I would need to stop down 2 stops (so say metered at f16 actually shoot the scene at f6.7 or f8)? I feel like I am getting that completely wrong and just wanna make sure I understand how this is supposed to work.

Yes, you've got the idea, though 2m -> 8m is a 2 stop correction. If I metered at 2 minutes, I'd need 2 1/3 stops correction, so I'd expose for 10 minutes, or open up 2 1/3 stops (f/16 -> f/7.1).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
ExXxtreme indirect rise!

Pacwest Center by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

spookygonk posted:

You do know you may not take as good photos as Genderfluid, even if you use the exact same camera as him?

Oh absolutely, I'm not expecting to immediately have awesome results, it's just a nice bonus buying from someone who's demonstrated what their cameras can really output.

• Locked thread