Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bowie also wouldn't have ran that lovely route.

The magic of JFF.

God knows JFF is great at preventing defensive collapses!

Uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

You're right, losing Charles was the reason the Colts won, Luck had nothing to do with it

Yep, and they wouldn't have lost Brandon Flowers to freak injury, either. It's almost as though QB play wasn't as significant as the injuries to critical players!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If you want to minimize Luck's role in the comeback feel free but I want a QB who's capable of picking apart a good defense for once

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This isn't the 2012 Draft thread. We don't need to suck Luck's dick all thread. Especially after a game where Alex Smith played at the same level.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Intruder posted:

You're right, losing Charles was the reason the Colts won, Luck had nothing to do with it

This sentence is funny because you could use Luck or little l luck for the same effect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

This sentence is funny because you could use Luck or little l luck for the same effect.

Yeah I picked up on that too :shobon:

Anyway this isn't so much "Luck rules" as it is "I want a QB who is capable of that kind of performance"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You can probably get Frank Reich to play for you if you really want to.

vv--it's less that than this amazing performance was like the opposite for half of the game, Luck's very good and all of us outside of a few teams would love to have him, but this isn't a reason to draft/not draft anyone next year.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 5, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yes we get that you're bitter about the loss, sorry for your pain

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ozu posted:

Brett Hundley is staying in school, per Schefter. Probably a good idea.

I don't really see that; he probably would've gone in the first this year.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

If you want to minimize Luck's role in the comeback feel free but I want a QB who's capable of picking apart a good defense for once

If you want to minimize the injuries and the effect of not having to face Brandon Flowers has on TY Hilton, feel equally free.

If we draft a QB, it will be because the coaching staff have him as the best prospect, NOT because of a desperate reach, Jesus Christ.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

^^^ I'm not sure where desperate reach came into it unless you suddenly think Bridgewater is bad :confused:

He'll go in the first next year too

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

^^^ I'm not sure where desperate reach came into it unless you suddenly think Bridgewater is bad :confused:

He'll go in the first next year too

I don't think Bridgewater is a reach, but if this were a poorer QB draft or if we had a worse position you'd want to make a reach, as you are right now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I don't think Bridgewater is a reach, but if this were a poorer QB draft or if we had a worse position you'd want to make a reach, as you are right now.

No? I want Bridgewater because I think he'll be a very good NFL QB and be a more valuable piece than Clowney for where this team is

If Geno Smith were the top QB in this draft then obviously I'd want Clowney

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

rabidsquid posted:

The only RB in the NFL who fumbled the ball more frequently per rush than Bush was Bell :ssh: I hope that it was just some weird small sample size aberration year.

2? Maybe 3? Of those fumbles were the snow game in Philly that Bush didn't play in, so I'm not really worried about that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least wait until the combine before saying "I want (X) QB since he's obviously the best." There's a lot of work still to go. Your Texans are still not out of the woods with falling in love with a Carr yet. You may think they are because of Carr's awful game against USC, but the Combine is the great equalizer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Please don't troll

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
You could always trade down and pick Carr a little later in the first round.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

No? I want Bridgewater because I think he'll be a very good NFL QB and be a more valuable piece than Clowney for where this team is

If Geno Smith were the top QB in this draft then obviously I'd want Clowney

Your initial argument was literally that the Chiefs were better than the Colts in every aspect except for QB and still lost, nevermind that Alex Smith out-played Luck but had to deal with critical injuries. If TY Hilton takes a bad hit and is out of the game with a concussion for the rest of the game, do you believe the game still plays out like it did? Over a guy that was thirty-five percent of the other team's entire regular season offense? Nevermind the Pro-Bowl defensive back that was supposed to be covering Hilton.

Bridgewater will be an awesome Texan if and when we draft him, but your reasoning is majorly hosed, yeesh. It's the kind of thing that leads to reaches rather than making the best decision for the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not sure how you go from "Awesome QB performance allows team to overcome big deficit against better team" to "Draft any QB no matter how bad he is" but ok

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I'm not sure how you go from "Awesome QB performance allows team to overcome big deficit against better team" to "Draft any QB no matter how bad he is" but ok

You're overvaluing a player purely because they are a QB and your team is QB-needy, and also making really stupid arguments about why the Chiefs lost.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

He is not, he is saying that line of thinking is dumb and makes it seem like you didn't even watch the game.

Which is a fair assumption at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is not, he is saying that line of thinking is dumb and makes it seem like you didn't even watch the game.

Which is a fair assumption at this point.

I absolutely watched the game and Luck's second half performance absolutely was a huge reason the Colts won unless you think it was nothing but wide open lobs to Hilton in which case I'd have to question if you watched the game and missed the scrambles, the Fleener TD pass, the passes into tight windows, etc

bhsman posted:

You're overvaluing a player purely because they are a QB and your team is QB-needy, and also making really stupid arguments about why the Chiefs lost.

I want my team to fill a need at an important position it's sorely lacking at with a player who is a top prospect, go figure

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Intruder posted:

I don't know why everyone is being a dick to you but I totally understand what you're saying. I watched that game and it made me want a QB capable of doing that. Alex Smith had a great day too, but we know what he's capable of and he can't put up those performances with any consistency. Luck is in his second year and is loving ridiculous. I hope the Bucs take a QB in the first, assuming a decent one is available.

The more I think about it, that game also convinced me we need a QB at least on Alex Smith's level. Solid enough to get you to the playoffs and with just a tiny bit of help from the supporting cast, able to beat good teams.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I want my team to fill a need at an important position it's sorely lacking at with a player who is a top prospect, go figure

Oh hey guess what I really do as well but not to the point of being so wishy washy that another team's success influences me, holy poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I don't know why everyone is being a dick to you but I totally understand what you're saying.

It's almost like we're talking about both Luck's performance AND the incredibly unlucky injuries the Chiefs had that affected critical players on offense and defense, including the guy meant to cover a wideout that ended up with 200+ yards.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bhsman posted:

Oh hey guess what I really do as well but not to the point of being so wishy washy that another team's success influences me, holy poo poo.

Especially when said game had that QB play rather poorly in the first half. Meaning he had to rely on the D to get him back into it.

though its football fans.txt.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I don't know why everyone is being a dick to you but I totally understand what you're saying. I watched that game and it made me want a QB capable of doing that. Alex Smith had a great day too, but we know what he's capable of and he can't put up those performances with any consistency. Luck is in his second year and is loving ridiculous. I hope the Bucs take a QB in the first, assuming a decent one is available.

The more I think about it, that game also convinced me we need a QB at least on Alex Smith's level. Solid enough to get you to the playoffs and with just a tiny bit of help from the supporting cast, able to beat good teams.

Well bhsman is pretty invested in Clowney so I can see why he's so angry that I've hitched my wagon to a QB, but he seems to think I'm on the "DRAFT ANY QUARTERBACK" wagon as if Bridgewater isn't also a stud. It's not like Clowney is Reggie White or something

CharlestheHammer posted:

Especially when said game had that QB play rather poorly in the first half. Meaning he had to rely on the D to get him back into it.

though its football fans.txt.

So Luck's second half performance is invalidated by his struggles in the first? What about all the QBs who have that sort of first half and have no prayer of recovering in the second? (aka every QB the Texans have ever started)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Intruder posted:

Well bhsman is pretty invested in Clowney so I can see why he's so angry that I've hitched my wagon to a QB, but he seems to think I'm on the "DRAFT ANY QUARTERBACK" wagon as if Bridgewater isn't also a stud. It's not like Clowney is Reggie White or something

In his defense the only teams that made Luck look bad this year all had ridiculous pass rushes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

All this poo poo will change post-combine/pro day anyway so gently caress it let me live in the moment

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intruder posted:

So Luck's second half performance is invalidated by his struggles in the first? What about all the QBs who have that sort of first half and have no prayer of recovering in the second? (aka every QB the Texans have ever started)

I am not getting involved in this woe is me Texans bullshit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok then address it while ignoring the Texans comment

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

:lol: You loving idiot, pot to loving kettle. Clowney is who I'd prefer but I've been mocking Bridgewater equally as much if not trading down and grabbing Manziel or Khalil Mack/Anthony Barr, or would you prefer not to remember all the times I posted that JFF as a Texan photoshop? It wasn't always a troll.

Don't jizz in your pants over Bridgewater and then be a hypocrite.

quote:

It's almost as though his great second half is correlated with some event, but I can't be certain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intruder posted:

Ok then address it while ignoring the Texans comment

I can't its literally an assumption based on the results. Could Texans QB's do it? Maybe, maybe not.

QB is not the only issue that team has. I have seen that D play.

Also it doesn't invalidate it no more than the second half invalidates the first.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

:lol: You loving idiot

Ok well if you're going to start with personal attacks then I'll just go ahead and stop addressing you. Woo Clowney whatever.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Ok well if you're going to start with personal attacks then I'll just go ahead and stop addressing you. Woo Clowney whatever.

quote:

Well bhsman is pretty invested in Clowney so I can see why he's so angry that I've hitched my wagon to a QB

:rolleyes:

EDIT: And you ignored the rest of my post, awesome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yes, that's a personal attack. You're right, you've shown no investment in Clowney.

I'm done with this sniping poo poo, I'm going to stop posting in this thread for now

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Yes, that's a personal attack. You're right, you've shown no investment in Clowney.

See, this is coming off more as a kind of bitter sarcasm than the funny kind. I don't know, was my Pro-Bowl funny bone injured and put out of the game?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Bridgewater does not have the kind of arm to make the throws Luck did in that second half. Almost nobody does.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

jeffersonlives posted:

Bridgewater does not have the kind of arm to make the throws Luck did in that second half. Almost nobody does.

Mettenberger? :getin:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

See, this is coming off more as a kind of bitter sarcasm than the funny kind. I don't know, was my Pro-Bowl funny bone injured and put out of the game?

Stop

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah but that's hardly a knock. Luck looked phenomenal last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What the heck are we fighting about? Has Clowney ever faced or tried to kill Johnny Manziel? I want to see how he'd be able to take down Big Ben or a really mobile QB like Cam/RG3/Wilson/Kaep.

• Locked thread