Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

and that was a flash forward.

Then when the story proper starts it's five months before that. And he clearly does not have and is not going to have a Robin during that five months, so instead of 4 Robin's in 5 years it's, at the most, 4 robins in 6. And is only established for a year when the JL gets together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have they said he's not going to meet Dick during Zero Year?
The backup in the #0 established where all the Robins were at at the time. It'd be weird if they, or at least Dick didn't eventually enter into the story proper.

e: This might be getting off topic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 4, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fear Itself was a Thor/ Cap crossover that got ballooned hideously by editorial.

Man was it ever. The amount of tie ins to that book was insane.

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in. There was to be this reverence that the super hero community had for Superman, where they thought of him as the best of them, where when he landed at the scene everyone just went silent.

Now its just basically, "Superman's here, USE YOUR HEAT VISION AND SCOWL!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in. There was to be this reverence that the super hero community had for Superman, where they thought of him as the best of them, where when he landed at the scene everyone just went silent.

What's given you that impression? Morrison's Action Comics' Superman was the absolute opposite of what you describe.
He's virtuous in Pak's Action too. That just had a dinosaurus thing burst out and wreck the place, and while it looked like he shot it into the sun, he actually brought it over to his alien monster zoo to hang out.

Get Action 25 and 26 if you want to feel good about Clark.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 4, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

E the Shaggy posted:

That's not enterily true, there has been a lot of little moments where Superman shows his compassion and willingness to talk. He gave certain degree of closure to a female villian (Agony, I think was called), he allowed a Yautja expy to return to its dimension even after butchering a scientist team,he was only hostile to H'el until H'el attacked first (Heck, the ending to Krypton Returns was about finding a way to stop H'el without killing him)
Pak's current arc is about how he prefers to save lives by all means necessaryand he's pretty civil and rational with Zod.
He's more brash but he's the same big good guy at heart.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Skwirl posted:

This is why I like that modern Marvel almost never tries to nail down timelines

PhilippeFranklin is five. This is important.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in.

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's given you that impression?
Weren't those Superman's exact first actions in JL #1 when it came to meeting Hal for the first time?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

redbackground posted:

Weren't those Superman's exact first actions in JL #1 when it came to meeting Hal for the first time?

Yeah, essentially everything outside of Morrison and Pak's stuff paints him this way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

I think that is really unfair to judge a character for his/her action on one issue.

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah, essentially everything outside of Morrison and Pak's stuff paints him this way.

Not true, Lobdell, Perez, Jurgens and Soule have showed than Superman is still the boy scout.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well the Question could do this if he was anything like the Question anyone actually likes but instead he's stuck as Some Dude A Wizard Cursed and can't be tasked to do anything at all.

Maybe those guys who's job it is to figure out and protect the timeline, Booster Gold and his sister and Future Son could handle it? Wait no, he gave up his memories so the Writers could revert him back to the Pre-Ted boring unfunny Booster.

Someone investigating the totally mismanaged new 52 universe would make for a great reboot event comic. Say, they follow the threads, then metaphorically tug the sweater somehow, making it all unravel and have to be reorganized into something that makes sense and is a little less self-destructive...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have they said he's not going to meet Dick during Zero Year?
The backup in the #0 established where all the Robins were at at the time. It'd be weird if they, or at least Dick didn't eventually enter into the story proper.

e: This might be getting off topic.

Yeah just bring the general complaining about nu52 and that over to the DC Whining thread. This thread should really just be for terrible runs rather than "everything is terrible".

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I buy the "I changed it because it seemed interesting" thing just because I've always assumed that the stuff from the Final Crisis Sketchbook they put out before the main story was the framework Countdown might have been built off of? It's got so many ideas and plots that never made it into the final, and one of those was that we were going to see an on-panel Desaad as perverted torturer, but in the final thing, he is instead possessing Mary Marvel (who, from memory, since I can't find the drat issue - was not in said sketchbook)

That's a good point. Honestly, it kind of makes Final Crisis even more potent a critique if Mary Marvel was actually something Grant saw them doing and decided to weave it in.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is too soon to claim than Forever Evil (and for association, Trinity War) is an awful, awful event?

Because it totally is :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure everybody's in agreement on that.

Except for the scenes of Dr. Ultraman, the rock 'n roll supervillain. He does cocaine kryptonite! Those are wonderful.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is too soon to claim than Forever Evil (and for association, Trinity War) is an awful, awful event?

Dang it DT you are supposed to be the DC fanboy here. I can't be the only one enjoying Forever Evil (never read Trinity Wars).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fear Itself was a Thor/ Cap crossover that got ballooned hideously by editorial.

Fear itself gets a lot of (deserved) poo poo piled on it, but I did like large parts of it. Iron Man sacrificing his sobriety, that issue of Uncanny X-Men where they're trying to stop Juggernaut. And it's the genesis of Kid Loki's Journey into Mystery, which is one of my favorite short lived series ever. (Anyone who hasn't read it, you don't need to read the rest of Fear itself to understand it, you just need to understand that poo poo is hosed, and the world [Midgard/Earth] is going to end).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why the gently caress does Iron Man have to sacrifice his sobriety?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Why the gently caress does Iron Man have to sacrifice his sobriety?

Because old gods demand sacrifice (Odin is a giant loving dick).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's gonna conclude with the Justice League being uploaded into the Metal Men or something

so yes it's too early!

While the main series has been a pile of bunk with terrible art, I have been enjoying some of the ancillary titles, especially the stupid backstories in JL. Just that is a big improvement on Trinity War.

I'd say the Blight event with the "Dark" books is much worse. It has to be about the most plodding comic story I can remember following.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 5, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Fear itself gets a lot of (deserved) poo poo piled on it, but I did like large parts of it. Iron Man sacrificing his sobriety, that issue of Uncanny X-Men where they're trying to stop Juggernaut. And it's the genesis of Kid Loki's Journey into Mystery, which is one of my favorite short lived series ever. (Anyone who hasn't read it, you don't need to read the rest of Fear itself to understand it, you just need to understand that poo poo is hosed, and the world [Midgard/Earth] is going to end).

I like a lot of Fear Itself too. It's at least better than garbage like Siege, Secret Invasion and their ilk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty sure everybody's in agreement on that.

I've recently started posting on the CBR forums; seems like there's a lot of people who'd disagree over there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've recently started posting on the CBR forums; seems like there's a lot of people who'd disagree over there.

I went to see what they were saying and it seems more positive in general, but there are still detractors. Which I'm more surprised by, to be honest.

That, and I saw someone say that Forever Evil was better than Morrison's JLA: Earth 2, which nearly caused me to bite my tongue off.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is just than FE have a really horrible art (Finch can't even be bothered to check the designs of the cameo characters he's drawing, I'm baffled than he's still considered a top artist), since no other series is really showing how bleak and hopeless things are I can't take the Syndcate as a credible threat, I don't give a drat about Stargirl and how she's totally awesome and the one to rescue the leagues and the pacing is glacial. Four issues in and Luthor's Injustice League isn't fully formed, the way Johns' handling Sinestro is also really grating.

I'm also butthurt about Trinity War since it was builded like this epic fight between the leagues thanks to manipulation from the Trinity of Sin just to be derailed but the Earth-3 bullshit (and the retcons of Pandora's Box as a portal and Atom being evil are loving stupid) and the Trinity of Sin vanishing from the story.

Blight is alright if only to see Constantine being a dick on a line-wide event :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is just than FE have a really horrible art (Finch can't even be bothered to check the designs of the cameo characters he's drawing, I'm baffled than he's still considered a top artist),

He's not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm also butthurt about Trinity War since it was builded like this epic fight between the leagues thanks to manipulation from the Trinity of Sin just to be derailed but the Earth-3 bullshit (and the retcons of Pandora's Box as a portal and Atom being evil are loving stupid) and the Trinity of Sin vanishing from the story.

"Oh my god, it's not magic! It's been science all along! Trinity! 3! Earth Three!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

"Oh my god, it's not magic! It's been science all along! Trinity! 3! Earth Three!"

C'mon, you can't read all the buildup (specially everything related to Shazam and the council of magic) and tell seriously than introducing the Syndicate was the plan since the beginning.

Then again, I think than the Syndicate sucks and doesn't deserve to be a universe threat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

C'mon, you can't read all the buildup (specially everything related to Shazam and the council of magic) and tell seriously than introducing the Syndicate was the plan since the beginning.

I'm agreeing with you, it was a dumb reveal and didn't make sense in the context of the story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

I'm agreeing with you, it was a dumb reveal and didn't make sense in the context of the story.

Oh sorry, I'm used to being the guy with the unpopular opinion in here :v:

This whole thing is why I'm more lenient to Blight since is closer (if scaled down) to what it was promised by Trinity War. Shame is being padded to hell and back.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Skwirl posted:

Those are good points but like you pointed out, other than the sacrifice those things could have happened without Fear Itself. The X-Men one is just a "Juggernaut is supercharged for whatever reason, throw stuff at him till he stops" plot and JiM spun out of Gillen on Mighty Thor and Siege: Loki.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Those are good points but like you pointed out, other than the sacrifice those things could have happened without Fear Itself. The X-Men one is just a "Juggernaut is supercharged for whatever reason, throw stuff at him till he stops" plot and JiM spun out of Gillen on Mighty Thor and Siege: Loki.

While I agree, I do think the first arc of JiM works best if you at least understand that while Kid Loki is running around, all the other heroes are trying to deal with the same world ending catastrophe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase take Cyborg seriously as a JLA Big Seven member???"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is Wonder Woman sitting down? Flying? Skidding along the ground for some reason? Why is she looking in a different direction to everybody else?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why is Flash not Mercury? :crossarms:

And I love that Aquaman is still relegated to the background, even in Lead's body.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Jerusalem posted:

Is Wonder Woman sitting down? Flying? Skidding along the ground for some reason? Why is she looking in a different direction to everybody else?

The answer to all of those questions is "crotch".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because Quicksilver is the Marvel speeder. :colbert:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Evil Mastermind posted:

And I love that Aquaman is still relegated to the background, even in Lead's body.

Hey Cyborg, did I ever tell you that my name is Wally West and I'm the Fastest Man Alive?
Also that Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Question IRL posted:

Hey Cyborg, did I ever tell you that my name is Wally West and I'm the Fastest Man Alive?
Also that Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

Flash fact!

All red Batman does look kinda cool though. Also loving gold Superman and platinum Wonder Woman. Love me some stupid Metal Men poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Want to empty-quote this so hard it gets a concussion.

Die Laughing posted:

Love me some stupid Metal Men poo poo.

Did you pop a stiffy at the armors Alex Ross did in Justice?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

McSpanky posted:

"Oh hey Cyborg, seems kind of cool. Where can I buy his book?"
"Oh we don't have a book for Cyborg. Would never sell, but hey, why not try out JLA's Vibe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

mind the walrus posted:

Did you pop a stiffy at the armors Alex Ross did in Justice?

Oh yeah! Lead Superman was a smart move, and didn't Flash have Mercury armor? What a fun little story.

I also just remembered the Metal Men bullets in 52.

• Locked thread