Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

rcman50166 posted:

TIMGing doesnt do this justice.

Yeah that's a proper desktop'able offence that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ColHannibal posted:

We decided to have crumple zones besides the driver's bones.

Fifty years of progress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

ColHannibal posted:

We decided to have crumple zones besides the driver's bones.

Not in the 60's man. Cars were tinfoil. I know this from personal experience.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, 30s/40s vs 60s is a huge difference.

That being said, the bones aren't the troublesome part, it's that your brain gets sloshed around inside your skull and turned into mush without proper crumple zones, restraints, and airbags. That is, if the non collapsible steering column doesn't impale you through the chest.

The numbers that get thrown around at work when discussing impact safety are insane. We're talking 10, 20, 30 Gs impact force. There are even standards for safety if the owner is one of those "but it's better to be thrown clear of the accident!!!1 :downswords:" types, certain fairly significant crash tests need to be passed even without a seatbelt in use. I don't know why we don't just let darwin take care of those idiots, but hey, lawyers. :buddy:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

JPEGs don't do that car justice, you gotta hear the youtubes.

gently caress, it's like an air raid siren on wheels.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

JPEGs don't do that car justice, you gotta hear the youtubes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUEPwHnxmU
This video in particular is amazing. You hear the sound of the 787b ricocheting off the buildings it passes, before it passes you. It's as if a dozen 787s pass you before the real thing does. It's the Doppler effect taken to an extreme. And it is awesome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fucknag posted:

In the same vein, I like this video of the old Mulsanne straight, before they put the chicanes in.
I remember a commentator saying they used to get up to 230 on the old Mulsanne. Jesus.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LiquidRain posted:

This video in particular is amazing. You hear the sound of the 787b ricocheting off the buildings it passes, before it passes you. It's as if a dozen 787s pass you before the real thing does. It's the Doppler effect taken to an extreme. And it is awesome.

gently caress a four-rotor, my ears are telling me that thing is powered by ghosts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I remember a commentator saying they used to get up to 230 on the old Mulsanne. Jesus.

More than that - Group C cars were hitting 248-250 in the final years before the chicanes.Derek Bell (iirc) has a story about seeing a car in front of him at 240+ with the rear wing bowing towards the ground and then realizing his is probably doing the same thing.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
A couple shots from the Roar before the 24.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

LiquidRain posted:

I love how you can hear it coming and there's a dog barking like, holy poo poo, what is that, what is thattttttttttttt?

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

drgitlin posted:

More than that - Group C cars were hitting 248-250 in the final years before the chicanes.Derek Bell (iirc) has a story about seeing a car in front of him at 240+ with the rear wing bowing towards the ground and then realizing his is probably doing the same thing.

1980's video quality but holy carp...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yni-W7s3Hp4

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Holy carp indeed :coal: surely the downforce produced on that straight bumped the earth out of orbit :stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

:aaaaa: That speed is amazing, I can't imagine having the balls to take any kind or corner going that fast.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

It's like a god damned cartoon. :stare: Imagine doing that every few minutes for an 8 hour shift. gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder what trickery they would've had to perform with the suspension geometry. All the angles would be significantly different at that speed, with the suspension compressed from downforce, than they would be on slower corners. They would have to juggle between it being sluggish at low speed vs prone to railroading and bump steer at high speeds.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Knobjockey posted:

1980's video quality but holy carp...

Kept expecting the whole view to go plaid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Slavvy posted:

I wonder what trickery they would've had to perform with the suspension geometry. All the angles would be significantly different at that speed, with the suspension compressed from downforce, than they would be on slower corners. They would have to juggle between it being sluggish at low speed vs prone to railroading and bump steer at high speeds.

You have to design for the downforce. So at slow speed the car sits high and is too stiff and doesn't handle well. To sort of get around the problem, most high-downforce cars have gone to a 3rd spring setup where there is an additional spring (and sometimes damper too) that only acts when both wheels are compressed. So going around a corner, one side compresses, one side extends, and the 3rd spring does hardly anything.

Some friends of mine are having the opposite problem and have to re-design the suspension before it will go any faster, no matter how much power and wing they throw at it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 6, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jamal posted:

You have to design for the downforce. So at slow speed the car sits high and is too stiff and doesn't handle well. To sort of get around the problem, most high-downforce cars have gone to a 3rd spring setup where there is an additional spring (and sometimes damper too) that only acts when both wheels are compressed. So going around a corner, one side compresses, one side extends, and the 3rd spring does hardly anything.

Some friends of mine are having the opposite problem and have to re-design the suspension before it will go any faster, no matter how much power and wing they throw at it.

That's fascinating and appears to solve the problem pretty well, in my mind. It's like the opposite of an anti-roll bar.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I visited the Petersen museum here in LA on the last day of 2013, here are a few things I took photos of. We also took a tour of the underground vault they keep cars not on show in (you can't take photos down there), it's amazing. So "The Petersen" belongs in this thread in spirit.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'm impressed with how often they rotate their exhibits, I don't think I saw any of that when I went.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want this. And the glorious sunny weather that would accompany its every voyage...

Oh and the XKSS too please.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Slavvy posted:

There's a Senna film (The Right To Win) that includes a segment where other drivers talked about the micro-adjustments that drivers do on the fly with the controls on their steering wheels. Going into a corner, you drop the suspension or something, and things like that. He cited it as an example of why Senna was so good: he could make these adjustments faster and more accurately than other drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShPc3nY5m5w&t=1063s

anonumos fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

anonumos posted:

There's a Senna film (The Right To Win) that includes a segment where Alain Prost was talking about the micro-adjustments that drivers do on the fly with the controls on their steering wheels. Going into a corner, you drop the suspension or something, and things like that. He cited it as an example of why Senna was so good: he could make these adjustments faster and more accurately than other drivers.
Whaaat? I had no idea there ever was that level of driver control going on in race cars.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
What always amazed me about the 1980's era LeMans cars was how drat fast they were. Best example is that the Porsche 962 STILL holds the Nurburgring lap record to this day with a time of 6:37. His qualifying time was 6:11 :psyduck: That was done in 1983 by Derek Bell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0z9TbFW6tU

Look at the "Competition" list of times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Best part of the YouTubes is all the narrating :allears: Those Porsches were, and still are, something else.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 6, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

GramCracker posted:

What always amazed me about the 1980's era LeMans cars was how drat fast they were. Best example is that the Porsche 962 STILL holds the Nurburgring lap record to this day with a time of 6:37. His qualifying time was 6:11 :psyduck: That was done in 1983 by Derek Bell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0z9TbFW6tU

Look at the "Competition" list of times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Best part of the YouTubes is all the narrating :allears: Those Porsches were, and still are, something else.

Watching this is making me miss the Nurburgring. I think I need to learn fluent German this time and try moving again...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Whaaat? I had no idea there ever was that level of driver control going on in race cars.

It is fascinating: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/04/22/steering-wheels/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aphrHIAI1JY

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Still like Kimi's wheel the best :v:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Oh my god....

I just got the Jenson Button

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

GramCracker posted:

Actually the lap record belongs to Stefan Bellof, not Derek Bell. And part of the reason those laptimes have never been beaten is those were the last years that full-fat prototypes raced the nordschleife. Now the fastest thing that goes round there under official timing and scoring are GT3 cars. If the full course was a round of the WEC you can bet that 30 years of advances in drivability, tyres, aero, and the like would mean we'd have a sub-6 second lap by now.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

Actually the lap record belongs to Stefan Bellof, not Derek Bell. And part of the reason those laptimes have never been beaten is those were the last years that full-fat prototypes raced the nordschleife. Now the fastest thing that goes round there under official timing and scoring are GT3 cars. If the full course was a round of the WEC you can bet that 30 years of advances in drivability, tyres, aero, and the like would mean we'd have a sub-6 second lap by now.

I noticed that error of mine when I hit "post" but I was all :effort: to fix it. I know, but Shhhh! I like to pretend that they would still reign supreme compared to today. One can dream, right? :allears:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hahah that wheel is my wallpaper at work, it always gets questions from people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

That's fascinating and appears to solve the problem pretty well, in my mind. It's like the opposite of an anti-roll bar.

It's also where most of the magic of a good race engineer comes into play, especially since a lot of them are no longer standard shock absorbers - you're seeing, depending on who you ask and when, "J-Dampers" or "inerters". Read this if you want to go cross-eyed.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, Uwe Alzen ran 8:02 for the new + old track in a VLN BMW Z4 GT3. That would correspond to a 6:22 lap of full Nordscleife and a 5:58 touristenfahrten BTG (Bridge-To-Gantry)lap.

At Spa LMP1 cars are some 20 s faster than fastest GTs. Extrapolating from Spa, a LMP1 prototype might be able to run a 5:20 full lap on Norschleife or a 5:00 BTG lap... That's quite fast. :) Of course it is a quite an assumption that the extrapolated laptimes would match reality.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Caught this clean little gem in Toronto today. Late 60's F150 "Ranger" edition.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Am I understanding this correctly that he's turning a knob on that steering wheel mid corner?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But driving F1 is easy because the car does everything for you and the driver is basically ballast :downs:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

taco_fox posted:

I love that the safety equipment used here is just a comically oversized lap belt
The jodhpurs, tall boots and ties are classy as hell.

Also, at 4:20 after the car was on its side, a guy just reaches in and pops the crushed rear fender out with his bare hands. :stare:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Delivery McGee posted:

The jodhpurs, tall boots and ties are classy as hell.

Also, at 4:20 after the car was on its side, a guy just reaches in and pops the crushed rear fender out with his bare hands. :stare:

"Oh, crap, that fender is terrible, I'd better bend it with my bare hands lest the viewer think these cars are fragile and destructable!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

:flashfap: