Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scrapironfish
Apr 18, 2013
This is my station.

Case - Azza Solano 1000 Full Tower
Mobo - Asus P8Z77V-LE
Memory - 16 gigs dual channel (2x8) Kingston Hyperx Blu 1333mhz
CPU - Intel I7 3770k 3.5ghz (overclocked to 4.48ghz)
CPU cooling - XS-PC Raystorm 750 ax240 water cooling kit
GPU - sapphire Radeon HD7870 OC GHZ edition 2 gig's GDDR5 (got 3 free games with purchase)
SSD - Intel 530 series 240 gig Solid State Drive.($150 Amazon thanksgiving week)
HDD - 2TB seagate barracuda storage drive
Monitors - Dual 24" Viewsonic VX2450WM
Fan controller - Aerocool touch 2100
PSU - 700w CoolerMaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
We're about to move into a new house in a few months here and my S.O. really wants me to find a computer desk that hides my cables and is really clean. Ideally she'd like me to just go get an iMac but I'm a PC guy through and through so I refuse.

Are there any decent PC desk companies out there that make clean modern desks that take cable management into consideration? Everything I'm finding has sample photos of just iMac's with no visible speakers and wireless keyboard & mouse. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of going that minimal.

This is the best PC desk "system" I've been able to find so far but I don't think their keyboard drawer will fit my G15. http://www.smartfurniture.com/bdi/bdioffice.html

Has anyone seen any better drool-worthy PC desks?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MMD3 posted:

We're about to move into a new house in a few months here and my S.O. really wants me to find a computer desk that hides my cables and is really clean. Ideally she'd like me to just go get an iMac but I'm a PC guy through and through so I refuse.

Are there any decent PC desk companies out there that make clean modern desks that take cable management into consideration? Everything I'm finding has sample photos of just iMac's with no visible speakers and wireless keyboard & mouse. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of going that minimal.

This is the best PC desk "system" I've been able to find so far but I don't think their keyboard drawer will fit my G15. http://www.smartfurniture.com/bdi/bdioffice.html

Please don't get a new iMac. They are loving glued shut.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Don Lapre posted:

Please don't get a new iMac. They are loving glued shut.

Get a retina MacBook Pro instead :haw:.

Serious answer: have you considered maybe trying to downsize your rig? There are great looking Mini-ITX and Micro-ITX cases that can handle *serious gaming setups* and take up a fraction of the space of a full size tower. Some of them can be popped underneath or behind your monitor. Regardless, a simple desk with a small rig tastefully set up would probably go farther with the WAF and be easier on your wallet than trying to find a piece of furniture that could attractively hide a big case. Another possible option would be to stash the case in a closet and run some cables to the desk.

All that said- the new iMacs run Windows perfectly well and the 27" ones can be specced with a GTX 780M- which is perfectly capable. Yes, the display is stuck to the case with tape, but you really wouldn't be doing any tinkering around inside the case anyway (aside from maybe adding RAM which is easily accessible on the 27" through a special hatch). When it's time to upgrade, you just pop the drat thing on Craigslist or SAmart and watch as it pays for 3/4 of the new one. Macs have ridiculously high value retention.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Serious answer: have you considered maybe trying to downsize your rig? There are great looking Mini-ITX and Micro-ITX cases that can handle *serious gaming setups* and take up a fraction of the space of a full size tower.

Yep. This is my Silverstone SG05 with a GTX760 and an i5-3570.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All that said- the new iMacs run Windows perfectly well and the 27" ones can be specced with a GTX 780M- which is perfectly capable. Yes, the display is stuck to the case with tape, but you really wouldn't be doing any tinkering around inside the case anyway (aside from maybe adding RAM which is easily accessible on the 27" through a special hatch). When it's time to upgrade, you just pop the drat thing on Craigslist or SAmart and watch as it pays for 3/4 of the new one. Macs have ridiculously high value retention.
Though depending on how serious he could be about gaming, the GTX 780M isn't really that ideal for maxing out a 1440p display without turning down a number of settings to reach 60 fps or otherwise maxing out settings and probably being in that 30-50 range at most. A 780M is essentially equivalent to in-between a desktop 760 and 770 performance wise, so with the 4GB memory option it's good for older games, adequate for some newer, but still limiting.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
sorry, should have clarified... it's less about my system, more about hiding cables and having a clean modern desk. I have a relatively clean tower case that I can put to the side of the desk or whatever: http://quietpc.co.nz/fd-define-r4 I just have a big 27" monitor and some PC speakers and a light up keyboard and mouse and such... really no way I'm getting rid of my rig, I'll consider wall-mounting my monitor and speakers behind the desk, I just want cord management in a clean professional looking desk. All of the modern desks I've looked at have nowhere to hide cables, they're just really way too open.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^^Use clips/zip ties/Velcro loops/etc and run the cables along the back edge/bottom of the desk and down one of the back legs.

Get a cable caddy/organizer from IKEA or a similar retailer.

Use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse (probably not an option if you like your current gear).

If your main issue is cable management then there are tons of cheap and easy options. Really the main thing is to not have them cobwebbing down against the wall (see this thread's rich history of "living like poo poo" posts).

Also if the aesthetics of the PC speakers are an issue, then maybe replacing them with some more attractive ones (like from, say- this company) might solve that problem. The ones I linked also have the benefit of sounding really, really loving good.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Like-new IKEA Galant for $80? Thanks Craigslist!

VV if I don't catch a cable with my feet while I'm sitting at my desk then I consider that good management.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 6, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Coolnezzz posted:

Like-new IKEA Galant for $80? Thanks Craigslist!

Is this supposed to be an example of good cable management?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

MMD3 posted:

Turnstone Bivi?

From my post in the other desk thread:

chizad posted:

It's not a sit/stand desk, but I bought a Bivi from Steelcase's Turnstone brand about a year ago and I absolutely love it. There's all kinds of accessories (built-in power outlets, monitor mounts, etc) you can get for them, and it's designed to be a modular system so if you're a startup or small office you can start with a few basic desks and then add on additional workspaces/accessories as needed. I just got the basic 30x60 worksurface without pockets, but there's all kinds of stuff you can add to it if you choose to. I did grab a pair of the hooks and they make excellent headphone holders.

They're also a good group of people to deal with. I had some questions about the desk I couldn't find on their website, so I called up their 800 number expecting to have to navigate through a phone tree or voice-response system. I was pleasantly surprised when a real person answered the phone. She wasn't able to answer all my questions, but she went to the product team and called me back later that day with the info. And a month or two after it was delivered, I had someone reach out to me about doing a short call so they could get my feedback and make sure I didn't have any problems/concerns with it.

The cable trough has all kinds of room to keep cables out of sight. Mines a bit of a mess right now (need to clear off the desktop and redo the cabling after some recent hardware shuffling), but if you want I can post some pics once I've tidied things up to give you a better idea what it looks like with a full desktop setup.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chizad posted:

Turnstone Bivi?

The cable trough has all kinds of room to keep cables out of sight. Mines a bit of a mess right now (need to clear off the desktop and redo the cabling after some recent hardware shuffling), but if you want I can post some pics once I've tidied things up to give you a better idea what it looks like with a full desktop setup.

If you're going for the $600 desk game:

PostureDesks Elite V1 Height Adjustable Desk - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RVRA4M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_bZ5Ysb1767VQT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're going for the $600 desk game:

PostureDesks Elite V1 Height Adjustable Desk - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RVRA4M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_bZ5Ysb1767VQT

I'm sure that desk is very useful and comfy, but goddamn it looks goony as all poo poo. I thought the goal here was to get his wife to like it.

Hell, I wouldn't have it in my own place and I live with a roommate.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

chizad posted:

Turnstone Bivi?

This would definitely work for cleanliness and cord management but the room isn't all that large and I'm concerned that this desk wouldn't make a lot of sense pushed against a wall since the legs are slanted. Would love to see photos of yours though, it's certainly one of the best examples of a well designed pc desk that I've seen.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm sure that desk is very useful and comfy, but goddamn it looks goony as all poo poo. I thought the goal here was to get his wife to like it.

Hell, I wouldn't have it in my own place and I live with a roommate.

yeah, exactly, It looks highly functional but the goal here is form needs to take a slightly higher priority than function. I'm only going to be able to justify getting a fancy new desk if it looks minimal & clean.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

MMD3 posted:

Depends on your definition of "modern", but the Ikea Hemnes desk has pretty decent cable management, while not looking gaudy like most suggestions here. I can take some photos of mine later if you're interested, the photo on the Ikea page isn't super flattering.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MMD3 posted:

This would definitely work for cleanliness and cord management but the room isn't all that large and I'm concerned that this desk wouldn't make a lot of sense pushed against a wall since the legs are slanted. Would love to see photos of yours though, it's certainly one of the best examples of a well designed pc desk that I've seen.

yeah, exactly, It looks highly functional but the goal here is form needs to take a slightly higher priority than function. I'm only going to be able to justify getting a fancy new desk if it looks minimal & clean.

Whoops wrong desk in my wishlist.

MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, White by MultiTable.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MR87PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_vCeZsb09ABJ2E

You can spend some cash on a nice piece of counter top and add a piece of fancy rain gutter to the back for cable management. Or of you feel especially handy, route a slot across the counter top and put the cables through that, using hooks underneath to route them.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Wasabi the J posted:

Whoops wrong desk in my wishlist.

MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, White by MultiTable.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MR87PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_vCeZsb09ABJ2E

You can spend some cash on a nice piece of counter top and add a piece of fancy rain gutter to the back for cable management. Or of you feel especially handy, route a slot across the counter top and put the cables through that, using hooks underneath to route them.

While I appreciate the idea, and I'd love to have an excuse to go buy a giant slab of black walnut... height adjustability is not at all a requirement, so it seems silly to pay a premium for something that doesn't give me a cleanlier desk and provides a function I don't really need. I've got an aeron chair that could never raise that high so I'd have to go buy a new office chair in addition to everything else.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MMD3 posted:

While I appreciate the idea, and I'd love to have an excuse to go buy a giant slab of black walnut... height adjustability is not at all a requirement, so it seems silly to pay a premium for something that doesn't give me a cleanlier desk and provides a function I don't really need. I've got an aeron chair that could never raise that high so I'd have to go buy a new office chair in addition to everything else.

I remember thinking the StudioDesk was pretty cool and neat, but nothing is going to replace creating your own cable management solution. Find some long cables, put them in a spiral bundle, and connect them.

One thing that helps is using power and USB 3.0 hubs hidden under or inside the desk; that way, you're able to have only one USB and power cord up to the desk, which is easier to hide in your umbilical.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I love the Hemnes line in general and have a few pieces, but that desk looks awful. It looks like the stupid executive desk I am using right now at work and it's awful for long legs. At least the back is open, I guess, but I could really do without the drawers. If it weren't for the office I would actually rather have a cubicle.

I've had good luck with a Galant desk and a cable trough. It's not really as much about what desk you buy as much as what you do with it. But yes, a cable trough can be easily had from Ikea and you can jam your power strip in there as well.

edit: Here's mine from a couple of years ago. The anime posters are gone now. It'd be really easy to fix those cables behind the monitor down to the desk for ~ultra-minimalism~ but I didn't care that much. :shobon:

glompix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 7, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember thinking the StudioDesk was pretty cool and neat, but nothing is going to replace creating your own cable management solution. Find some long cables, put them in a spiral bundle, and connect them.

One thing that helps is using power and USB 3.0 hubs hidden under or inside the desk; that way, you're able to have only one USB and power cord up to the desk, which is easier to hide in your umbilical.

yeah, I've seen that desk before and I love the concept but I really can't imagine it working well for anything more than a laptop like they have in their example photos, putting a 27" monitor some larger speakers, and a full-sized keyboard and mouse on there it's going to look really out of proportion.

I'm totally open to DIY cable management if I find a desk that I think I can do a good job at hiding hubs/powerstrips underneath.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wanting to get my computer off the server rack and upstairs for the first time in a year, I built a desk out of junk I had laying around (hollow core door, some 1xs). I wouldn't stand on it but it's strong enough to hold our computer at least.

Yes, it is in fact a bad picture.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Basically, it seems like you're looking for something like this beauty here. Something that will let you stash lots of different cables and have them come out at different access points so that everything looks clean.

However, the Airia is discontinued (although some places seem to still have stock) and cost $2,100.

Here's a well-reviewed $600 alternative that I quite like very much. There's a big slot in the back that you could run the speaker and display cables through and you could run the keyboard and mouse ones through the slot cut in the top. Collect all of the cables in the storage compartment and then snake them out the bottom corner opening to your tower. I'm not a fan of the fake leather mat, but it's removable and there's white tabletop underneath. Crap, didn't see you already pooh-pooh this one. For the record, I think everything would fit fine on it, and it's one of the better options you've got that doesn't involve stapling a bunch of cables to the underside of an IKEA tabletop.

Here's an even less expensive take on the same idea. If the footprint of your display's base is small enough, or you wall-mount it or get an articulating mount like an Ergotron, I see no reason why you couldn't use one of these desks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is this as dumb as it looks?

http://amzn.com/B002IYRBI0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hotsauce posted:

Is this as dumb as it looks?

http://amzn.com/B002IYRBI0

If you have to ask...

I don't get people who want treadmill desks. Yes, it is healthier but it loving KILLS productivity because you can't make the same fine motor movements as you can sitting on your rear end or even standing still; I guess you can look great as you finish the day with arm and eye strain because you've spent the whole day fighting the bobbing of your body.

I tried one of these for a week and found myself just stiff as a board in the shoulders after two days.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

If you have to ask...

I don't get people who want treadmill desks. Yes, it is healthier but it loving KILLS productivity because you can't make the same fine motor movements as you can sitting on your rear end or even standing still; I guess you can look great as you finish the day with arm and eye strain because you've spent the whole day fighting the bobbing of your body.

I tried one of these for a week and found myself just stiff as a board in the shoulders after two days.

Yeah, I figured it was a gimmick. Was curious because I mainly stand while working (from home one day a week). I hate sitting so figured this was a neat concept, but knew there was a catch somewhere. Thanks.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wasabi the J posted:

I would buy that in a second for half the price they're trying to charge for the large. $845 is a bit steep for what amounts to 4 pieces of wood, and a kitchen counter top with a storage area under.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Living like poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I would buy that in a second for half the price they're trying to charge for the large. $845 is a bit steep for what amounts to 4 pieces of wood, and a kitchen counter top with a storage area under.

:rolleyes: Right, that's exactly what it is.

It's amazing what things cost when they don't have IKEA-scale supply/manufacturing/distribution/sales resources and expertise behind them. Honestly, that desk is cheap for what it is.

Sgt. Raisins
Oct 21, 2007
Damnit

How is the Kinesis? I've had it on my wish list forever never pulled the trigger

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Sgt. Raisins posted:

How is the Kinesis? I've had it on my wish list forever never pulled the trigger

If you have chronic pain or numbness of any kind in your hands or wrists, it's a godsend. It's really bad for anything that isn't related to plain text entry, though. I keep the standard keyboard in the picture around for gaming. Novel layout aside, it's made with Cherry MX Brown switches, so it feels really nice to type on and will probably last forever. If you don't need the ergonomic layout, any other mechanical-switch keyboard is probably as good.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That two-toned Leap looks awesome.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

~Coxy posted:

That two-toned Leap looks awesome.

Thanks! It's actually a Gesture, which is kind of the follow-up to the Leap.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's amazing what things cost when they don't have IKEA-scale supply/manufacturing/distribution/sales resources and expertise behind them. Honestly, that desk is cheap for what it is.

:rolleyes: Right, I'm going to spend much more on a desk because the company is still growing up. An extra hundred or two dollars mean nothing to me if it can help out a budding, relatively inefficient company I have no personal connection to.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

glompix posted:

:rolleyes: Right, I'm going to spend much more on a desk because the company is still growing up. An extra hundred or two dollars mean nothing to me if it can help out a budding, relatively inefficient company I have no personal connection to.

Things cost more when they aren't mass produced with the cheapest materials. Solid mahogany is slightly more expensive than particle board.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you really making excuses for them? This is the same company that charges $40 for a plastic box. I don't care if you're not ikea the cost of making this is about 200 said and done. IKEA gets to make it for $50.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

glompix posted:

That isn't the point, stop being obtuse you muppet.

Goods in general are more expensive when they come from small companies with small production runs, and nowhere is that more apparent than with poo poo like furniture and clothes. It doesn't matter how "budding" or "inexperienced" the company is. They could be 100 years old and they still wouldn't be able to come close to touching IKEA/Target/whatever's margins.

That doesn't automatically mean that the goods are overpriced or not worth buying.

Furthermore, reducing the worth of something to the supposed materials cost of its constituent parts (and one based, again, on the expectations set by massive companies with massive supply chain and manufacture scaling) is dumb as hell and totally disrespectful to all of the other work that went into creating and producing the object. Your goony dragon figurines are worth what- like a $1.50 in only resin and paint, right?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That isn't the point, stop being obtuse you muppet.

Goods in general are more expensive when they come from small companies with small production runs, and nowhere is that more apparent than with poo poo like furniture and clothes. It doesn't matter how "budding" or "inexperienced" the company is. They could be 100 years old and they still wouldn't be able to come close to touching IKEA/Target/whatever's margins.

That doesn't automatically mean that the goods are overpriced or not worth buying.

Furthermore, reducing the worth of something to the supposed materials cost of its constituent parts (and one based, again, on the expectations set by massive companies with massive supply chain and manufacture scaling) is dumb as hell and totally disrespectful to all of the other work that went into creating and producing the object. Your goony dragon figurines are worth what- like a $1.50 in only resin and paint, right?

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for buying that desk, I'm just saying that "fewer logistical resources" is a terrible excuse for a desk being twice as much as what benisntfunny would like to pay for it. I've never thought about that when weighing a purchase.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

glompix posted:

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for buying that desk, I'm just saying that "fewer logistical resources" is a terrible excuse for a desk being twice as much as what benisntfunny would like to pay for it. I've never thought about that when weighing a purchase.

Even so furniture is marked up about 4 to 5 times its base when listed if not more. So if I take the low end of four times then cost that's where I get 200. Should bluelounge undercut themselves from the rest of the industry? I'm not sure but I would think they would make a lot more money if their desk was less cost prohibitive being that a majority of it is particle board and faux leather.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

glompix posted:

You goddamn cretins just don't appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that artisanal laminated particle board box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

at the date posted:

You goddamn cretins just don't appreciate the craftsmanship that went into that artisanal laminated particle board box.

Yeah. Every piece of particle board carries a little piece of the orphan that made it. Respect the sacrifice of the orphans.