Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
So on Hugh Hewitt today they discussed the CO pot legalization and it really brought out the crazy in the callers. The first one was perhaps the most honest conservative I have ever seen. The host asked why he opposed pot legalization and the caller acted as if he were just ambushed with this question out of the blue. His answer was "Hmmm... Uhhh... Well I guess it's just a cultural thing, I just don't like it. Same with all of that same-sex stuff, it just makes me uncomfortable with things changing and everything, I just don't like it."

The next caller was a guy who claimed to have a group of 50-100 individuals who stand outside of pot dispensaries in CA and monitor who enters and leaves :stare:. This group of intrepid conservative citizen-heroes concluded that the CA medical marijuana law was primarily used by young men looking to get high :monocle:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Joementum posted:

In which Politico allows an AEI "scholar" to argue for an American monarchy.
"No one can pretend that creating the position of First Citizen will solve all the country’s problems. Queen Elizabeth’s 60-year reign has seen public riots and political partisanship. Israel’s last president was forced to resign and later convicted of rape while in office. America’s president and congressmen will always be partisan figures, ruled by special interests, wasting our money and failing to meet our challenges."

Honestly, this just reads to me as "this article was mostly pointless, and my suggestion wouldn't actually solve any of the problems I outlined, but thanks for reading!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MaxxBot posted:

The next caller was a guy who claimed to have a group of 50-100 individuals who stand outside of pot dispensaries in CA and monitor who enters and leaves :stare:. This group of intrepid conservative citizen-heroes concluded that the CA medical marijuana law was primarily used by young men looking to get high :monocle:.

So is there a staffing agency these people use to get others to do their footwork or something? Because I would love to get paid for stating the obvious and going to Hawaii on bullshit fact finding missions.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So is there a staffing agency these people use to get others to do their footwork or something? Because I would love to get paid for stating the obvious and going to Hawaii on bullshit fact finding missions.

http://www.mcso.org/About/Career/

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's called old retired white people who haven't figured out how to use facebook to look at pictures of their grandkids and need something to do.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So now Savage has replaced Hannity on the local radio during my drive to work. Not that I listened to Hannity as such, but, y'know, he's a dumbass and I could turn it on, listen for about fifteen seconds until he made an easily refutable point, roll my eyes, then turn it off again.

Savage, though... good god. I turned it on three times; two of them were 'IF GLOBAL WARNING WHY SNOW CHECKMATE' rants of the most condescending type, and the third was this amazingly smug racist comment complete with intentional mispronunciation. (Seriously, who says 'GuadalaHHHHHara'?)

I don't want to be in a position where I miss Sean Hannity, dammit.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
In place of Hannity was a guy from the Blaze who was FORMER CIA. He said Obama had no foreign policy or rather that it could be defined as COSMOPOLITANISM.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

N. Senada posted:

In place of Hannity was a guy from the Blaze who was FORMER CIA. He said Obama had no foreign policy or rather that it could be defined as COSMOPOLITANISM.
He must have gotten some good LSD from the CIA apparently.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I just noticed that tomorrow's In Depth interview/call-in show on C-SPAN2 will feature Mark Levin. These are 3 hour shows and are usually worth watching even if you have no interest in the author. The interviewer always plays it straight, but they try to take calls in a roughly 50/50 mix of left/right.

It starts at noon Eastern. You can stream it:
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

N. Senada posted:

That dude was seriously loving worse than Hannity somehow. He rivaled Beck for bullshit melodrama. Also he looks like this.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That dude was seriously loving worse than Hannity somehow. He rivaled Beck for bullshit melodrama. Also he looks like this.

Callin' it in folks

Most Punchable Face 2014, right here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat, James O'Keefe gained a bunch of weight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James O'Keefe and Tucker Carlson's unholy love child

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Phone posted:

drat, James O'Keefe gained a bunch of weight.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/24198393/texas-obamacare-navigators-in-trouble-again

Apparently he's video ambushing Texas ACA navigators.
(I was curious.)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

James O'Keefe and Tucker Carlson's unholy love child

I was thinking more Adam Scott and Corky from Life Goes On.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I might be crazy but I see a little Luke Russert in there too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

I might be crazy but I see a little Luke Russert in there too.

Yeah, they could be brothers.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Put on Fox news after midnight here and and managed to catch the live version of John Stossel's terrible article that was being shared online recently which I can only assume was titled "Libertarian Actors Are The Only Right Actors". Just love how John Stossel uses the argument of liberal hollywood idiots to point how actors follow democratic policy because they're just plain stupid or don't know any better, but then uses other hollywood figures that run libertarian as evidence for the correctness of limited government policy. Why exactly? Because Vince Vaughn or Drew Carey or Penn say big government is bad, of course.

"They're mindless idiots if they don't follow what I believe so trust what I say without any evidence to back my claims!"

What a loving shitlord. His completely condescending diatribe about the low intelligence of actors and their good fortune being ill-deserved is just rich, considering he is hardly more than an actor in a journalist's role using fractured logic to push his libertarian views he so comfortably aligns with after growing up rich as gently caress in New Trier High School followed by Princeton.

edit: forgot half a sentence because exhaustion.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 5, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For about 5 seconds I was like, "Sean Penn is a libertarian?" until I googled and realized you meant Penn of Penn & Teller, of course.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Without knowing who this guy is or where he's from, can I guess either Wisconsin or Michigan?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oops.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

joeburz posted:

Put on Fox news after midnight here and and managed to catch the live version of John Stossel's terrible article that was being shared online recently which I can only assume was titled "Libertarian Actors Are The Only Right Actors". Just love how John Stossel uses the argument of liberal hollywood idiots to point how actors follow democratic policy because they're just plain stupid or don't know any better, but then uses other hollywood figures that run libertarian as evidence for the correctness of limited government policy. Why exactly? Because Vince Vaughn or Drew Carey or Penn say big government is bad, of course.

"They're mindless idiots if they don't follow what I believe so trust what I say without any evidence to back my claims!"

What a loving shitlord. His completely condescending diatribe about the low intelligence of actors and their good fortune being ill-deserved is just rich, considering he is hardly more than an actor in a journalist's role using fractured logic to push his libertarian views he so comfortably aligns with after growing up rich as gently caress in New Trier High School followed by Princeton.

edit: forgot half a sentence because exhaustion.

Isn't this the standard in Libertarian arguments? Maybe I've only been exposed to the dumber set regarding them, but the true-believers all seem to think that Libertarianism is some sort of self-evidently superior political philosophy that's so far outside of the spectrum of mainstream politics that the only reasons people might not support it is if they haven't heard of it or are "statists" massively benefiting from the current system (and thus working to silence and distort the true faith).

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 5, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Von Sloneker posted:

I just noticed that tomorrow's In Depth interview/call-in show on C-SPAN2 will feature Mark Levin. These are 3 hour shows and are usually worth watching even if you have no interest in the author. The interviewer always plays it straight, but they try to take calls in a roughly 50/50 mix of left/right.

It starts at noon Eastern. You can stream it:
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

This is going on right now and they've just started taking callers if you want to listen. First call is a liberal giving him poo poo and he's smug laughing her off.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

Conservatives have been particularly smug lately about global warming with the climate scientists getting stuck in ice and the fact that it's winter. They keep bringing up the "global cooling" scare of the 70's, failing to point out that there was no scientific consensus and that it was media outlets reporting and misinterpreting the opinions of a minority of scientists. Gee, I wonder who would do that?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eponymouse posted:

Conservatives have been particularly smug lately about global warming with the climate scientists getting stuck in ice and the fact that it's winter. They keep bringing up the "global cooling" scare of the 70's, failing to point out that there was no scientific consensus and that it was media outlets reporting and misinterpreting the opinions of a minority of scientists. Gee, I wonder who would do that?

"There's still ice on Planet Earth" :smug:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Eponymouse posted:

I can't really blame them for laughing about that. It is kind of funny in a one-shot late show joke kind of way. It's pretty much the right wing's version of a 'outspoken social conservative caught with gay lover' story.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Good Citizen posted:

This is going on right now and they've just started taking callers if you want to listen. First call is a liberal giving him poo poo and he's smug laughing her off.

Yeah I lasted through much less of that than I'd planned. But I've been flipping back every once in a while, once just in time to catch this hilarious, if understated, exchange between him and the reliably neutral and staid interviewer:

Interviewer: [lists three of Levin's books] "If a potential buyer were eyeing all three of these and only had enough money for one, which would you recommend?"
Levin: "You know, I have two kids, and if someone said to me, okay, now which of your children--"
Interviewer: "These are books."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

I can't really blame them for laughing about that. It is kind of funny in a one-shot late show joke kind of way. It's pretty much the right wing's version of a 'outspoken social conservative caught with gay lover' story.

Gay people who react to society's irrational hatred of them by turning toward self-hatred and bigotry isn't funny. It's just sad :smith:

Edit: And past hypotheses being rejected and replaced with others is a really lame way to try to discredit a theory. "First you said that light moves through an ether, now you say it's electromagnetic fields. Which is it SCIENTISTS?? How can we trust you when you change your minds all the time?" :smugdog:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 5, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yamcha vs Pocket Akuma right now was the realest match I've ever seen

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yamcha vs Pocket Akuma right now was the realest match I've ever seen

Well there you have it folks, Saltybet is right wing media. They do blame Obama every time there's a time out I guess!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Saltybucks is the new Bitcoin.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Not until I can mix my competitive fighting with illegal drug sales.

"I got a blotter sheet on Sephiroth. Let's do this thing."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Now I'm imagining Diamond Joe Biden trying to rid the nation of its debt by going all in on DBZ.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can't we just cut out the middleman and have Diamond Joe Biden reveal his Super Biden 4 transformation?

Deport The Irish posted:

Isn't this the standard in Libertarian arguments? Maybe I've only been exposed to the dumber set regarding them, but the true-believers all seem to think that Libertarianism is some sort of self-evidently superior political philosophy that's so far outside of the spectrum of mainstream politics that the only reasons people might not support it is if they haven't heard of it or are "statists" massively benefiting from the current system (and thus working to silence and distort the true faith).

So libertarianism is just the hipster of politics?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Saltybucks are certainly more stable. But bitcoin always goes 888, so all in on bitcoin!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Vriess posted:

Callin' it in folks

Most Punchable Face 2014, right here.

Little early to Toxx for something like that, given the insanity that will crawl out of the walls in the next 4 months.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

So libertarianism is just the hipster of politics?

It's bad to generalize but yeah there are a lot of libertarians that think they're right primarily because their views are unpopular. They have The Truth and everybody else is blinded to it by government benefits/social pressure/social engineering.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's not limited to libertarians. Everyone thinks their views are correct and everyone else is just uninformed/on the take/pressured by others.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ah, Fox Radio. I tend to avoid it as much as possible because it makes me angry. I really only to listeing when it's 1am and I can't sleep because the local affiliate plays Coast to Coast AM.

Anyway, my local station's schedule indicates that the slot before C2C is Mark Levin. This dude is nuts, I swear every time I have the misfortune of a little bit of time to kill, he's always comparing what's going on in US politics to The Walking Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Now the The War on Christmas is over, I'm bracing myself for the annual onslaught of global warming denial since the whole country is experiencing record cold. Expecting a lot of that today.