Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Hey, so lag and always running zombies is not very fun. Not even challenging, just not fun.

People were complaining about the zombies not being a threat during the day, so I figured i'd introduce a twist. :v:

In all seriousness though, I wanted to try something different since we had used the default settings for three resets now. I figured people would appreciate the change.

That being said, even if it doesn't work out, hearing the screams of horror as goons logged on and realized all the zombies were sprinters when they went to hit up their (usually safe) favorite scavenging sites was hilarious and well worth the dirty looks I got afterwards.

For instance, some poor bastard tried to beeline to one of the lake cabins and had like 50 sprinters on his rear end when he showed up and the hordes started congregating from his rampant looting. He started freaking out and screaming in terror over mumble about all the zombies trying to literally maul his rear end as he ran away. :unsmigghh:

I'll set it back to normal soon. Having all sprinters in the first day or so helps mitigate the crazy looting frenzy by introducing danger to that early rush for loot. It also makes hording and sitting on top of ungodly sums of loot harder, since you actually have to fight every now and then during the day.

It basically adds a few twists to the established default mechanics. Especially if not many people know it's coming! :v:

Edit: Also, modding the server to have all runners makes spider zombies horrifying. They don't sprint. They lope close to the ground. So picture that scene with the velociraptors in the tall grass in Jurassic Park. Only, it's zombies, and that could happen at any time while playing. Hearing one or two of them let out those horrifying screeches that means they spotted you makes for a tense moment if you're out in the woods now.

Also, they can climb buildings during the day now, which made for a hilarious freakout last night. The goons wanted to hole up in a courthouse in Gravestown. Only like four spider zombies spotted them at one point and beelined up the barricades into the building. Cue a lot of screaming over the mics and gunfire that probably tipped off every zombie in a half mile.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The lag probably wouldn't have been so bad but the player list went off the bottom of the screen. That hut in the north east we built was gone too, I guess there must have been a reset cos all my weapons and stuff were gone too. I kept getting killed by some pubbie rear end in a top hat and could do nothing about it until I actually found some weapons, but which point I had no idea where he was. So frustrating.

For the record, he was called Sverok, murder him and call him names.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

QwertySanchez posted:

The lag probably wouldn't have been so bad but the player list went off the bottom of the screen. That hut in the north east we built was gone too, I guess there must have been a reset cos all my weapons and stuff were gone too. I kept getting killed by some pubbie rear end in a top hat and could do nothing about it until I actually found some weapons, but which point I had no idea where he was. So frustrating.

For the record, he was called Sverok, murder him and call him names.

Yeah, some guy apparently got pissed and decided to hack to get revenge. I figured out how he was able to get infinite rocket launchers. He went to the trailer park and spawned in like fifty corpses full of loot until he lucked out and got one. They were literally stacked higher than the trailers.

At which point he methodically destroyed most of the buildings on the map. So since it was so early I decided to do a reset.

The lag is, as far as I can tell, not on my end. It seems like a few people doing it via connecting from ridiculously far away. It's also caused by people making massive changes to the map. Nine times out of ten we can have 30 people or more on with no issues, but when we've got a hacker mass deconstructing parts of the map, poo poo can get laggy.

Either way, i'm working on a fix for both issues. The hackers are banned and the lag should be handled.

If you find a person who is hacking you can also post their full name in game in the topic. I'll add them to the list of banned Steam/7 Days accounts.

Also, if anyone knows how to create a MOTD on login, let me know. I'll add in a rule saying if you abuse the spawn mechanics you can get banned.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 5, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
The running zombies are a bit of a problem but mainly because of the lag, i cant kill anything because i keep freezing up, not to mention some guy is on right now killing an insane amount of people, though he could just be good and not hacking.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kea posted:

The running zombies are a bit of a problem but mainly because of the lag, i cant kill anything because i keep freezing up, not to mention some guy is on right now killing an insane amount of people, though he could just be good and not hacking.

I figured out the problem, actually. Turns out the memory leak was loving the server. Rebooting it fixed it.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
I think that, pending further updates, it might be best to have a policy of regular reboots of the server to help mitigate the performance hit of the memory leaks.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The spawn mechanics in the game seem pretty terrible. It'd be nice if it limited how often you can change your spawn and automatically changed it when you died multiple times in the same relative area as the spawn, or made you interact with a bed every time you died to set it as your spawn point, or else wind up in one of the random starting points.

"Oh hey I've never even been to your base before but now I'm going to set it as my spawn so I can kill you over and over again," is just stupid. Sometimes amusing, but really stupid.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'd like to see some ai tweaks to the zombies, I dug a massive moat around my fortress and now the zombies just stand in a group on the edge of the moat and look depressed. :(

Are the special zombies limited to special areas? I rarely see climbers and police (exploding) zombies where I've holed up. Sure hope this game keeps getting regular updates and improvements because it kinda rules.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Miijhal posted:

The spawn mechanics in the game seem pretty terrible. It'd be nice if it limited how often you can change your spawn and automatically changed it when you died multiple times in the same relative area as the spawn, or made you interact with a bed every time you died to set it as your spawn point, or else wind up in one of the random starting points.

"Oh hey I've never even been to your base before but now I'm going to set it as my spawn so I can kill you over and over again," is just stupid. Sometimes amusing, but really stupid.

Pretty sure they're fixing this. Just to be safe though, check out their forums. A goon was saying a bunch of people were bitching about how terrible it is. Telling them to fix it is a good idea either way.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

I don't have the cash to spare but is there anyone streaming some goonplay? I'd like to check this out!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anyone have information about the underground collapse mechanics? BigB and I spent most of last night hollowing out a cavern under a building to try and collapse it, but it didn't work. We thought a big enough cavern without supports would fall, but apparently not.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Log082 posted:

Anyone have information about the underground collapse mechanics? BigB and I spent most of last night hollowing out a cavern under a building to try and collapse it, but it didn't work. We thought a big enough cavern without supports would fall, but apparently not.

It's really generous about supporting structures. When me and a friend were tearing out the bottom of some one's moderately sized tower, it was staying up with just one row of wooden walls on one side at the base. I think it collapsed before we finished breaking all of it, but it's a lot more forgiving than something like Red Faction Guerrilla.

This seems to be a little more specific, but I'm not sure how it applies to rocks or if it at all considers anything it's supporting vertically as well.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I found a way to reset the map/all the scavengeable objects without losing our bases.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?1832-Soo-i-came-up-with-resetting-the-map-without-destroying-my-base

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I saw people posting about lots of zombies spawning at the gas station earlier; is this true of other locations as well?

I recently started playing and came across the campsite southeast of the suburbs and decided I'd just build a wall around it to make it a little tent city. Eventually I just tore the tents down and kept expanding my compound there. Am I having to defend against way more zombies than I need to just because of where I've set up shop?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I saw people posting about lots of zombies spawning at the gas station earlier; is this true of other locations as well?

I recently started playing and came across the campsite southeast of the suburbs and decided I'd just build a wall around it to make it a little tent city. Eventually I just tore the tents down and kept expanding my compound there. Am I having to defend against way more zombies than I need to just because of where I've set up shop?

Maybe? I've usually seen larger groups of zombies at campsites than in the surrounding wilderness, though the groups at campsites aren't gas station levels of "stupidly huge".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Jumped in. Played for the first time, crawled out of a underground tunnel that I spawned in and punched a zombie in the face to death. Then I punched down a tree, then I went to a farmhouse by a cornfield and got mauled to death by a fat zombie.

Respawned, punched another zombie in the face, crossed a bridge and then blew myself up on a landmine or something.

That was pretty funny.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Punch a bush. Now you have a stick to beat zombies with.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

StyleFresh posted:

I don't have the cash to spare but is there anyone streaming some goonplay? I'd like to check this out!

I'm setting up a stream. I'm pretty new to streaming, so we'll see how it turns out.
http://www.twitch.tv/evilreaver

Nevermind, there's some hacker on the server so there's no goon activity, kinda boring to watch I guess.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 5, 2014

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
There is a hacker on the goon server, name 222. It uses the special alt code for it, not sure of the number.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm setting up a stream. I'm pretty new to streaming, so we'll see how it turns out.
http://www.twitch.tv/evilreaver

Nevermind, there's some hacker on the server so there's no goon activity, kinda boring to watch I guess.

Could always find some other server, maybe a low population server so that people curious about the game can see what its like?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drakenel posted:

Could always find some other server, maybe a low population server so that people curious about the game can see what its like?

When my friends sign on (hopefully later tonight) I'll probably stream some more. This was more of a first test run on my streaming, too :shobon:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

TrinityOfDeath posted:

There is a hacker on the goon server, name 222. It uses the special alt code for it, not sure of the number.

Banned him and restarted the server.

Will look into doing a reset of the map supplies every few days/whenever a hacker fucks it up too. That way if you lose supplies it's no big deal and goons can safely do megaprojects if they want to go all Minecraft instead of hunting pubbies. Any suggestions on what should be and not be reset?

I also set zombies back to their default "walk in light, sprint in low light" conditions.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 5, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Archonex posted:

Banned him and restarted the server.

Will look into doing a reset of the map supplies every few days/whenever a hacker fucks it up too. Any suggestions on what should be and not be reset?

Just loot boxes (trash, stumps, cabinets) probably. How robust are your tools?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Just loot boxes (trash, stumps, cabinets) probably. How robust are your tools?

At the moment? The delete key to manually delete parts of a world (resetting it on restart of a server) and a lovely quick launcher app someone hacked together that can back up the world every now and then. I'll check the forums for new apps when I get a chance.

Edit: Found the topic where people are trying to get the horrible spawning mechanics fixed. Posted in it as well. Here it is if you want to weigh in.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?2383-People-are-spawning-just-to-loot-you-and-destroy

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 6, 2014

Cocoyofoo
Jun 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

At the moment? The delete key to manually delete parts of a world (resetting it on restart of a server) and a lovely quick launcher app someone hacked together that can back up the world every now and then. I'll check the forums for new apps when I get a chance.

Edit: Found the topic where people are trying to get the horrible spawning mechanics fixed. Posted in it as well. Here it is if you want to weigh in.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?2383-People-are-spawning-just-to-loot-you-and-destroy

Well thought out post. Archonex, myself, and two or three other goons spent most of Saturday building up murder church's defenses. Lazy Anon had the north entrance covered while I sat on a perch and racked up kills from a few pubbies who wanted our mines. It was fun but then it turned to poo poo, instead of 4 guys spawning in or around murder church it turned into a swarm of players just bum rushing us with fists. We ended up stashing the supplies and fleeing the church after multiple small packs of stalkers dug out underneath the church and took over.

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this game right now and plan to take a break after just a weekend. The hacking/griefing via spawn is ruining the game. Archonex hopped off to grab dinner and in that small time frame a dick with ASCII characters for a name absolutely rocked everything to the point where the server needed another wipe. A server shouldn't need this much babysitting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cocoyofoo posted:

Well thought out post. Archonex, myself, and two or three other goons spent most of Saturday building up murder church's defenses. Lazy Anon had the north entrance covered while I sat on a perch and racked up kills from a few pubbies who wanted our mines. It was fun but then it turned to poo poo, instead of 4 guys spawning in or around murder church it turned into a swarm of players just bum rushing us with fists. We ended up stashing the supplies and fleeing the church after multiple small packs of stalkers dug out underneath the church and took over.

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this game right now and plan to take a break after just a weekend. The hacking/griefing via spawn is ruining the game. Archonex hopped off to grab dinner and in that small time frame a dick with ASCII characters for a name absolutely rocked everything to the point where the server needed another wipe. A server shouldn't need this much babysitting.

The good news is that I have a fix for most of the issues in the works. Already implemented the first half, by removing us from the top of the server list. While having 65 players online was incredibly fun, a bunch of goons were getting frustrated at the constant issues with the spawn mechanics.

Now that that's done, I may take a look at handing out admin access to the server to select players. If i'm not on they can ban people.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
It's not that I mind having a bunch of people on, or even having them be hostile and attack us. It's just the endless spawning on top of us that gets old quickly.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

I would be all for having it passworded for awhile, i really enjoy building a base and the survival aspect which is what is totally ruined with the stupid spawn mechanics now.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

the dad farm posted:

I would be all for having it passworded for awhile, i really enjoy building a base and the survival aspect which is what is totally ruined with the stupid spawn mechanics now.

Yeah, I'll agree with this. Building a base is cool, defending it with goons is cool, having pubbies capable of repeatedly & near-instantly respawning in said base and goons having no recourse to keep them from doing so is not cool.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I haven't played much of this game and I only got on the goon server once, but having a goon only server to just mess around with zombies and experiment with building things sounds like a lot of fun.

Reirrac
Jun 6, 2011
I'm the proud owner of the underground tunnel base. Name's Delusion btw. Please don't wreck my underground farm!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I dont really mind the pubbies. I think its actually kind of funny seeing them spawn in over and over just to get gunned down. You have a few that do a little damage, but most are pretty harmless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Besides, cant they spawn in only on a placed bed? I've been able to set up a respawn point for myself by dropping a bed, selecting that point from the map, then picking up the bed, letting me respawn without having a bed placed.

The other solution though is to build a room with a bed on a tall pillar with treespikes at the bottom, then sealing it off so it's pitch black.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

SynthOrange posted:

Besides, cant they spawn in only on a placed bed? I've been able to set up a respawn point for myself by dropping a bed, selecting that point from the map, then picking up the bed, letting me respawn without having a bed placed.

The other solution though is to build a room with a bed on a tall pillar with treespikes at the bottom, then sealing it off so it's pitch black.

You misunderstand, when you join the server, it places you on top of the most populated area. This usually happens to be goonbase. Where you spawn is where you'll stay spawning till you select another

Goons can be dumb, but we're not so dumb to place a spawn point in our own base and then complain about spawning on it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drakenel posted:

You misunderstand, when you join the server, it places you on top of the most populated area.

This is terrible.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

So I found a way to reset the map/all the scavengeable objects without losing our bases.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?1832-Soo-i-came-up-with-resetting-the-map-without-destroying-my-base

Set murderchurch to be the only persistent bastion against the hordes of undead, DOING THE LORD'S WORK :getin:

If server goes password, we're going to need the "all run" setting because it's not as challenging; not keeping an eye out for pubbies is too easy otherwise. Unless some goon-on-goon action is going down :commissar:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Divide into two factions, fairly divided. Then storm each others fortresses. :)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Today myself and a few other goons had the pleasure of out griefing the griefers.
Two pubbies spawned into the goon compound, and quickly became bored and started punching things. We quickly killed them, but the respawn wars had begun.

Thankfully, it didn't take us long to work out EXACTLY where they respawned, so we just instantly killed them (sledgehammers rock) over and over again until they got sick of it and raqe quit. Good times!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
You could feel sorry for the pubbies, if we hadn't frequently told them how to spawn somewhere else.

I liked the ones that, frustrated by constantly being killed, decided they'd take revenge by desperately trying to steal a torch or two before we killed them. And one person disappeared, and returned 5 minutes later to exact revenge and murder all of us. the 8+ goons with machine guns and sniper rifles were no match for that one brony with a bone shiv. Oh wait yes we were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Goddammit. I haven't played for a couple of days but now I remembered how much fun it is to lure someone into chasing/following you then turn a corner and drop a landmine.

I tried to find a pubbie server once but they're generally empty, burned-out wastelands where everyone hates each other or insufferable hugboxes where the admins instaban you for thinking about shooting at someone.