Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Can you just cheese the entire game with Utsesemi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

irlZaphod posted:

Can you just cheese the entire game with Utsesemi?

Utsesemi doesn't work against magic. Really weird the demo has a bunch of physical based bosses.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
E: ^^^^^ It reminds me of the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo, actually. One of the classes had an ability very similar that made all the early enemies a joke because none of them had multi-hit or magic attacks.

How important is it to play to a character's innate strengths? Starting the demo, for example, Edea has the highest attack power out of the four. It's only by a few points, though; will that gap get wider or smaller as everyone levels up? Or does it really not matter compared to how equipment and jobs affect things?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Complexcalibur posted:

How important is it to play to a character's innate strengths? Starting the demo, for example, Edea has the highest attack power out of the four. It's only by a few points, though; will that gap get wider or smaller as everyone levels up? Or does it really not matter compared to how equipment and jobs affect things?

Put them in the jobs you think fit their characters best/make them look the neatest. Their personal stats do have some slight skewing towards certain roles, but they're like, 1-2 point differences at max level.

EDIT: You can cheese some bosses you wouldn't expect you'd be able to with Utsusemi, but no, not the entire game. Ninja is actually one of the last jobs you can get.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Well for one thing you don't get ninja until several chapters in. Also you can't dodge magic so it isn't any use against enemies that use that. Plus any enemy that hits multiple times, or any fight against multiple enemies can screw it up if they hit the same party member more than once. An enemy that inflicts dread (disables brave and default) can mess up that strategy too, since you can't use all the extra BP you're getting from Turn Tables.

It does kind of trivialise the demo, though.

The biggest thing that counts against that strategy though is that it's boring as gently caress using Utsusemi over and over and over again for the whole fight

Edit: beaten on most of this, but my last point still stands :v:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
I would imagine in the real game you have to worry about more magic attacks. In the demo the nastiest stuff just does physical, which Utsusemi allows you to avoid.

Ninjas are insane in the demo though. Comeback Kid + Turn Tables (Red Mage) + Multitask (Swordmaster) and two Kunai from Norende allows a Ninja to be an invincible massive damage dealer against the demo end bosses. Utsusemi + Default until at 3 BP, then Ikkikasei and spam attacks. Add in one ninja with Singing as a Job Command and use Love Power twice to max out everyone's physical attack the turn before.

Doing all that allows one character to hit for at least 3k damage against the dragon, if not for 6k damage or higher.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does it matter in what order you master your jobs? In FF5, the first three determine your freelancer/mime stats. Anything similiar here?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually FF5 takes the highest stat from each maxed job, which is why people would max Summoner, Thief and Monk and have a max stat freelancer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But yeah nothing like that here.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually FF5 takes the highest stat from each maxed job, which is why people would max Summoner, Thief and Monk and have a max stat freelancer.

Oh, so it automatically takes the three? I alwayst though I could ruin my ultimate freelancers if I mastered something else first. Thanks for the answer.

Also, I couldn't have dreamed that a game like this would appear: I've been shedding tears at FF-franchises grave for years and then BAM! Bravely Default saves the world. It's like somebody would have made a custom dream game specifically for me. The instant I booted the game I was transported back to my childhood, but added an amazing soundtrack and all the modern goodness into the gameplay.

Just wow. Hats off for Silicon Studios. Simply amazing.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 5, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just preordered the CE from Gamestop (virginia USA) in case anyone was wondering.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Anyone able to comment on whether a Four Job Fiesta style challenge would be feasible in this game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kanpachi posted:

Anyone able to comment on whether a Four Job Fiesta style challenge would be feasible in this game?

Certainly. You can beat it with encounters set to 0, at least on Easy, don't know if it's possible on Normal. However, the majority of jobs are given one at a time as part of sidequests, unlike FF5. Still, they can be seen as "sets" based on where you get them, so it should still work.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Terper posted:

Certainly. You can beat it with encounters set to 0, at least on Easy, don't know if it's possible on Normal. However, the majority of jobs are given one at a time as part of sidequests, unlike FF5. Still, they can be seen as "sets" based on where you get them, so it should still work.

If we're doing something like that, I've already figured out a way of grouping jobs (if we assume that that we pick one job out of each group):

Group 1: Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight

Group 2: Thief, Merchant, Spell Fencer, Time Mage

Group 3: Summoner, Ranger, Valkyrie, Red Mage

Group 4: Swordmaster, Pirate, Salve-Maker, Performer, Ninja

Group 5: Templar, Dark Knight, Spiritmaster, Arcanist, Vampire, Conjurer

Or perhaps that isn't the best way to do this... Especially if someone gets Conjurer.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I don't get how the job changing affects my damage: If I have two-handed on a thieg and I change it to a spell fencer with the same weapon and two-handed eguipped, my character now does poo poo damage. How does this work? Should I have my job level higher or what?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

I don't get how the job changing affects my damage: If I have two-handed on a thieg and I change it to a spell fencer with the same weapon and two-handed eguipped, my character now does poo poo damage. How does this work? Should I have my job level higher or what?

It depends on the class's proficiency with the weapon in question.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Level up your Spell Fencer's job level, and damage will increase.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Annath posted:

I just preordered the CE from Gamestop (virginia USA) in case anyone was wondering.

Best Buy has it for $5 cheaper.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I feel like a complete moron asking this, but where the hell do I get quests in the demo? I completed the one fetch quest that required five monster tails or something along those lines, and nobody else has given me anything else. I've gone into the town at night as well and I run into the same problem. Help!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

I feel like a complete moron asking this, but where the hell do I get quests in the demo? I completed the one fetch quest that required five monster tails or something along those lines, and nobody else has given me anything else. I've gone into the town at night as well and I run into the same problem. Help!

There should be a blue bubble with an exclamation mark somewhere on the map in town. That indicates your quest-giver. Find that person and get your next quest!

I finished the demo myself today, and I must say, I went from having close to 0 interest in the game to pre-ordering the special edition from Best Buy. (It's 5 bucks cheaper from there than anywhere else I saw.)

The only thing I have left to do is fully upgrade all the shops, which is taking awhile because I didn't notice the post about the glitch with adding infinite villagers in time. :doh: Also I made my husband download the demo and activate Streetpass for it, but so far I haven't gotten anything from him. I hear this is a common problem. :( drat it.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
In the demo, is the Minataur immune to poison? I've tried poisoning him about eight times with my mage character and all of them missed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Supposedly he is, but I'm damned if I could get it to stick. I had even worse luck than you did. Poor Edeo ran out of MP trying to cast poison on the rear end in a top hat.

Fortunately, the prime strategy of "Ninja dodge on everyone" (and maybe a Valkyrie with Jump) still tears through him. It'll just take longer without poison.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

planetarial posted:

In the demo, is the Minataur immune to poison? I've tried poisoning him about eight times with my mage character and all of them missed.
He's poisonable, out of all the times I fought him only once did Poison fail, but apparently I got really lucky. Looks like INT increases Status chance, so Black Mage with all the trimmings is probably your best shot at it.

Azure
Oct 30, 2010
I have a really silly question but I can't figure out for the life of me...

How do I learn White Wind from the enemies as a vampire? Since the ability needs to be on the person with the job. Unless I'm missing a confuse spell of some sort....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

planetarial posted:

He's not immune. If an ability says GUARD it means the enemy is immune, if it says Miss it just missed and you can try again. Poison makes that fight so much easier, it does like 600 a turn.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any way for me to have e.g. Ringabell be a Performer who can Dual Wield daggers? I want to be able to do this because it would own, but the Dual-Wield ability seems to be built-in to the Ninja job, and isn't available as a Support ability.

What does it mean when it says "Unused Cost... <X>" under Support Abilities? Is it just saying how many slots are free, or is there a cost if you load up on a few Support Abilities?

Also just re-posting this since I think it got missed.

irlZaphod posted:

Just a question about the mini-boss in the cave to the West, when I fought her, she seemed to keep getting BPs every turn (max'd to 3 of course, though). I'm not sure if I was just missing the command she was using to get that, it wasn't like the Imps' Brave Thief ability, or whatever it's called. She was then trying to Aeroga my party a few times every turn, but having died to her previously I used Silence on her as soon as I faced her again. I'm just wondering where she was getting the BPs from and why they weren't decreasing at all even though she was doing 2 actions per turn?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Is there any way for me to have e.g. Ringabell be a Performer who can Dual Wield daggers? I want to be able to do this because it would own, but the Dual-Wield ability seems to be built-in to the Ninja job, and isn't available as a Support ability.

What does it mean when it says "Unused Cost... <X>" under Support Abilities? Is it just saying how many slots are free, or is there a cost if you load up on a few Support Abilities?

Well, everyone can always dual wield, it's just that their attack power is cut down by 50% unless you have Dual Wield. So a Black Mage could use two rods that give +Magic since they don't use attack power anyway. Anyway, once a Ninja hits job level 11 in the full game, they get Dual Wield as a support ability, so all the other classes can use it.

And it just means how many slots are free.

quote:

Also just re-posting this since I think it got missed.
She was Defaulting. I don't recall any ability she had that stole or gave her extra BP.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Well, everyone can always dual wield, it's just that their attack power is cut down by 50% unless you have Dual Wield. So a Black Mage could use two rods that give +Magic since they don't use attack power anyway. Anyway, once a Ninja hits job level 11 in the full game, they get Dual Wield as a support ability, so all the other classes can use it.
Yeah sorry, I knew that but I meant duel wielding while not reducing the attack power. Thanks.

Terper posted:

She was Defaulting. I don't recall any ability she had that stole or gave her extra BP.
She was also using 2 actions though...

e: If she had 3 BP, could she Default, then use Aeroga twice and still have 3 BP left? e2: I don't think so actually because Defaulting would be all she could do on her turn.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 6, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

She was also using 2 actions though...

e: If she had 3 BP, could she Default, then use Aeroga twice and still have 3 BP left?

Well, no, that's not possible. Are you certain that's what happened? What might have happened is that all of your characters were in negative BP, so she could Default, it would go to next turn without any input from you, she'd Brave and attack twice, then Default, and then you can act again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Well, no, that's not possible. Are you certain that's what happened? What might have happened is that all of your characters were in negative BP, so she could Default, it would go to next turn without any input from you, she'd Brave and attack twice, then Default, and then you can act again.
All I can tell you is that at the start of the fight, she kept using Default until she had 3 BP, then she kept using Aeroga (which had no effect, because I had used Silence on her) twice per turn, without reducing her BP. I wasn't using Brave at all, I had used Silence on her after she had previously wrecked me with Aeroga, so I was happy enough just chipping away at her with physical attacks and magic. I just couldn't figure out why her BP wasn't decreasing at all, she was definitely casting twice per turn because it did the whole animation, then popped up saying it had no effect because of Silence, and would do that twice in succession before I could act again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

All I can tell you is that at the start of the fight, she kept using Default until she had 3 BP, then she kept using Aeroga (which had no effect, because I had used Silence on her) twice per turn, without reducing her BP. I wasn't using Brave at all, I had used Silence on her after she had previously wrecked me with Aeroga, so I was happy enough just chipping away at her with physical attacks and magic. I just couldn't figure out why her BP wasn't decreasing at all, she was definitely casting twice per turn because it did the whole animation, then popped up saying it had no effect because of Silence, and would do that twice in succession before I could act again.

Oh! If you can't act for any reason then your BP isn't used up. If your Black Mage was silenced before he could fire off four Thundagas or whatever, then he'd keep all his turns that he would have used. Same would happen if you had too little MP, was put to Sleep...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

planetarial posted:

If they're immune, it'll say Blocked or something similar.
You were probably just having poor luck getting it to stick.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Oh! If you can't act for any reason then your BP isn't used up. If your Black Mage was silenced before he could fire off four Thundagas or whatever, then he'd keep all his turns that he would have used. Same would happen if you had too little MP, was put to Sleep...
Ohhhh ok! Thanks, I couldn't figure out what was happening, which worried me because I thought I understood the game mechanics. :downs:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Azure posted:

I have a really silly question but I can't figure out for the life of me...

How do I learn White Wind from the enemies as a vampire? Since the ability needs to be on the person with the job. Unless I'm missing a confuse spell of some sort....

Vampires get a skill that charms enemies, but the problem with this is that the enemy still won't cast it unless you need to be healed to begin with. So save before encountering the enemy that has the skill, poison your entire team, spam the skill on them and they should hopefully cast it on you before you die. Either that, or damage the enemy first and then cast Reflect on them, although I didn't have much luck with this, having the skill that lets you cast any spell on all allies or enemies would've probably helped.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I got 6 of the 7 bonuses, not sure what the last one is, but I almost feel turned off by the game in general because of how grindy it felt. I was able to come up with fairly good strategies to take down each of the four bosses but it felt like an absurd amount of prep work. I wonder if this is just because they put four bosses so close to each other in the demo to show off how the game is played and it's a lot more organic in the full version, as in you'll already have the abilities and jobs leveled up you'll just need to select the appropriate one for the current boss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The full game isn't that grindy really. It probably is if you're playing Hard by normal standards but I'm pretty OK with grinding so my tolerance is probably high.

You get a lot of jobs in the Demo that you don't get in the game at the start. Ninja, Swordmaster and Performer aren't early game and they are pretty good jobs, Red Mage is early-ish, but too late to be an early job like WHM/BLM or Knight. I would probably wait for the game to go on sale if possible if the demo turned you off though because it's not hugely different but it is better.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
On the topic of grinding, can you fiddle with the JP gains to level jobs quickly? The job system is a huge appeal to me, but grinding kills games for me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

On the topic of grinding, can you fiddle with the JP gains to level jobs quickly? The job system is a huge appeal to me, but grinding kills games for me.

By the time jobs need a lot of JP to level up (Level 9 is 3500, 10-11 is 4000, 12-13 is 5000 iirc.), you have some good sources of JP to grind up quickly. There's an accessory to double your EXP and JP but it's expensive and will take a while to unlock. (I don't have it and I'm 70 hours in, though I have purposely spent my fortune on other expensive and cooler things). As early as chapter two you can encounter large packs of weak enemies that give high pg and JP for that point in game and difficulty doesn't affect your EXP yield so swap over to Easy for your grinding and back to your regular level for progression if you're so inclined.

The game basically uses Job level 9 as a break point to basically say "You don't really need to go past this yet, branch out a little".
Eventually you can get 400JP per fight without doubled gains, and they take very little time if you're on Auto with 4x speed.

That said, if you can't stand grinding at all, consider buying it when cheap instead or not at all because it's a definite element of the game if you're looking to master everything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I got 6 of the 7 bonuses, not sure what the last one is, but I almost feel turned off by the game in general because of how grindy it felt. I was able to come up with fairly good strategies to take down each of the four bosses but it felt like an absurd amount of prep work. I wonder if this is just because they put four bosses so close to each other in the demo to show off how the game is played and it's a lot more organic in the full version, as in you'll already have the abilities and jobs leveled up you'll just need to select the appropriate one for the current boss.

Max out the city and beat every boss for all the bonuses.

I actually didn't have to "grind" at all although I did end up leveling just in the course of doing those "get 5 whatever" missions which could get tedious. Like I never hit a point where I actually had to sit and grind before a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is there a fifth boss? I did the 4 bosses, maxed the city, and started the demo, that's 6.

• Locked thread