Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's because comic book artists draw women as 'white'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If her mother was Dominican, and Tombstone was black before he got the Red Hood Special that gave him his powers, why is Janice white?

http://youtu.be/bZl3hQNVHhM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If her mother was Dominican, and Tombstone was black before he got the Red Hood Special that gave him his powers, why is Janice white?

If you go back to the earlier issues, Janice is distinctly darker-skinned than that. For some reason, the colorist thinks she's white in this issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it's just the sepia tone of the issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dan Didio posted:

She's a mercenary leader who like singlehandedly funds the economy of some lovely Latveria-lite through mercernary leading.

Supposedly she meets with Dr. Doom once a year but I wouldn't be surprised if Silver Sable herself added that to her Wikipedia page that I just read

She's also dead, so I think his point stands.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

Explosions and espionage! G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!
Who here wants a body massage? G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

Thank you so much for this, dogg.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It was a couple pages ago, but, uh--

wdarkk posted:

I'd imagine you can't smell things that you're approaching at 90mph with a helmet on very well.

That's 144kph, bub! :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"The Hilary Clinton of drug lords" is my favorite line in that issue.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gavok posted:

G.I. Joe!

You made me proud, Gavok :3:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
From Livewires #2.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Skwirl posted:

I assume imgur works

:eyepop: I can't be the only one noticing the cameltoe.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Some of us have respect for young girls' bodies Choco.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From Livewires #2.
As a writer I ask myself "what is the best way to handle exposition in a visual medium?" and of course I answer "by having the actor just say everything that's happening and why, and if possible do so in broken sentences".

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

This is completely off the subject of funny panels, but is anyone else seeing the pound sign show up as the not-equal sign?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 5, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's an italic font thing.

Not italic: #, italic: #

I noticed it a lot more a while ago, so I assume there was a default font choice changed somewhere.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From Livewires #2.

Yeah, because of course it's possible to write all of that with a high-powered laser pointer in three seconds.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, because of course it's possible to write all of that with a high-powered laser pointer in three seconds.

Pretty sure the guy doing the writing is actually a robot. They can write fast, I think.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Henceforth all messages engraved via laser weapon shall only read "CHA".

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

goatface posted:

It's an italic font thing.

Not italic: #, italic: #

I noticed it a lot more a while ago, so I assume there was a default font choice changed somewhere.

Huh. To contribute, then, I've been reading the old G.I. Joe comics from the beginning. I just read G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #16 and for context, Cobra is attacking the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington. Sure, it makes sense to send Gung-Ho in, but for some reason Torpedo's on this mission. Granted, this set could also go in the badass thread just for the harpoon kill panel, but still: Cobra's probably not going to take to the Potomac. Why is the frogman there? This makes no sense.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
A Joe actually killed someone? :psyboom:

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
I'm impressed he managed to ambush somebody while wearing flippers indoors.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

As a writer I ask myself "what is the best way to handle exposition in a visual medium?" and of course I answer "by having the actor just say everything that's happening and why, and if possible do so in broken sentences".

It's a fair criticism. Mind, he's training somebody at the time, so it does make some sense to have him explain what he's doing. And yes, he's a robot.

smashpro1 posted:

In the comics Cobra troopers die all the time. Snake Eyes alone wracks up a ridiculous body count over the course of the series.

Hell, even regular characters get killed, just not very often. There's a point late in the series where seven Joes die in a single issue.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, remember the Cobra Commander who was posted earlier in the fake mustache?

R.I.P. Cobra Commander :(

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

smashpro1 posted:

The GI-Joe comic book is nothing like the cartoon, at times it was unspeakably brutal. I remember at one point a particularly sadistic Cobra soldier put a bunch of the B-list Joes(like the kung-fu guy who looked like Liu Kang) into a pit and machine-gunned them all dead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Why is the frogman there? This makes no sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hama was told "you have to put Torpedo in an issue" and he's like "well, I don't have any seaborne scripts lined up, so gently caress it". There are occasionally issues which seem like an excuse to showcase a particular toy (Battleforce 2000! The Defiant! The Thunderclap!) or that character so I wouldn't be surprised if he had some restrictions on what characters he had to use or whatever.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
From Fantastic Four 60, much like Batman, Reed has a plan to beat every member of the team:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hama was told "you have to put Torpedo in an issue" and he's like "well, I don't have any seaborne scripts lined up, so gently caress it". There are occasionally issues which seem like an excuse to showcase a particular toy (Battleforce 2000! The Defiant! The Thunderclap!) or that character so I wouldn't be surprised if he had some restrictions on what characters he had to use or whatever.

This is exactly what happened, and Hama's mentioned it in interviews. He would get directives from Hasbro that said "Put X, Y, and Z in the next issue", and he'd have to shoehorn them into his ongoing story. Given that type of restriction, it's amazing the level of quality he was able to bring to his comics. From the very beginning, he approached the book as a serious project and not just a toy advertisement.

After he was shown the action figures that he would be creating stories for, he tried to flesh out their characters by writing out little backstory elements and quotes from an imaginary personnel dossier and posted these up on little notes all around his workspace. When one of the Hasbro suits was visiting the Marvel offices to see how the project was going, he noticed these and asked if they could use them on the toys. That's where the "file card" that was included with every G.I. Joe figure originated.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Welcome to every Transformers G1 comic. For the first four years, Bob Budiansky actually tried to write stories about super lame things like Triggercons and Sparkabots and what-have-you. When Simon Furman took over writing duties, he would often introduce the new toys in one page and use the other 23 pages to tell stories about Optimus Prime, Megatron, Grimlock and other characters people actually cared about.

Oh, and he also slimmed down the cast by killing at least a hundred characters over two years.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Nipponophile posted:

This is exactly what happened, and Hama's mentioned it in interviews. He would get directives from Hasbro that said "Put X, Y, and Z in the next issue", and he'd have to shoehorn them into his ongoing story. Given that type of restriction, it's amazing the level of quality he was able to bring to his comics. From the very beginning, he approached the book as a serious project and not just a toy advertisement.

Oh, definitely. Just reading the first 20 issues has made me realize that Larry Hama's a really good writer. You'd just think, though, that in a case like this he could have called up Hasbro and said, "Hey, you know how you want me to use Torpedo? Well, Cobra's attacking the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. We're not exactly going to need him to swim around in the tanks of ink." I wonder if he tried.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It would be hilarious if above he had a "use the Night Vipers" directive and did... well, what he wrote on the page above. "Buy this new toy so you can reenact Snake Eyes snapping their necks."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If he did I can guarantee the response would've been "you're right, that doesn't make any sense - have them attack something near the water like Alcatraz."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ManiacClown posted:

Oh, definitely. Just reading the first 20 issues has made me realize that Larry Hama's a really good writer. You'd just think, though, that in a case like this he could have called up Hasbro and said, "Hey, you know how you want me to use Torpedo? Well, Cobra's attacking the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. We're not exactly going to need him to swim around in the tanks of ink." I wonder if he tried.

I imagine he could've, but I also iagine they'd immedietely tell him to change the story to one that fits Torpedo better.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

If he did I can guarantee the response would've been "you're right, that doesn't make any sense - have them attack something near the water like Alcatraz."

I remember reading a later issue where he had Torpedo and Torpedo v.2 (the other SCUBA guy--can't remember his name) do some kind of mission. They swim to their target AND THEN CHANGE OUT OF THEIR WETSUITS INTO REGULAR CAMO to do the rest of the job. As a kid it was pretty surprising and out of the ordinary to see something so simple and practical actually reflected in the comic, since I was so used to scenes like the one above where the guy is walking around in flippers.

edit: that just made me remember GI JOE: special missions. It was a spin-off book where Hama was able to do more complicated stories and featured enemies other than Cobra (although also Cobra). I really liked that book as well.

2nd edit: Wet Suit? DAMMIT HASBRO

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Seldom Posts posted:

I remember reading a later issue where he had Torpedo and Torpedo v.2 (the other SCUBA guy--can't remember his name) do some kind of mission. They swim to their target AND THEN CHANGE OUT OF THEIR WETSUITS INTO REGULAR CAMO to do the rest of the job.
I'm going to blow your mind by saying his name was Wet Suit.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Welcome to every Transformers G1 comic. For the first four years, Bob Budiansky actually tried to write stories about super lame things like Triggercons and Sparkabots and what-have-you. When Simon Furman took over writing duties, he would often introduce the new toys in one page and use the other 23 pages to tell stories about Optimus Prime, Megatron, Grimlock and other characters people actually cared about.

Oh, and he also slimmed down the cast by killing at least a hundred characters over two years.
I was going to bring this up because when I used to get the Transformers comic as a kid, the second half of each issue was Action Force (as they called GI Joe over here) and both stories were almost always excellent. That's still probably my favourite loving comic ever and I'll never forgive my mam for throwing them all out while I was at university. :argh:

I can remember one issue where a small town that was actually a Cobra base had to be evacuated and they showed you one guy putting the family dog down while his kids begged him not to, that's a pretty harsh lesson to learn about the practicalities of international terrorism at age eight. They also made me go through my "fanboy angry about other forms of media" phase really early - everyone in the schoolyard is talking about how great the Transformers cartoon is and I'm there going "It has none of the depth or sophistication of the comics", probably while smoking a loving pipe or something.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

If he did I can guarantee the response would've been "you're right, that doesn't make any sense - have them attack something near the water like Alcatraz a time-displaced island full of dinosaurs and cavemen."
Fixed for 80's Hasbro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mind the walrus posted:

Is Madam Masque a boss?

She certainly appears to be in the most recent incarnation of her in the new Hawkeye comic.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Pilchenstein posted:

I was going to bring this up because when I used to get the Transformers comic as a kid, the second half of each issue was Action Force (as they called GI Joe over here) and both stories were almost always excellent. That's still probably my favourite loving comic ever and I'll never forgive my mam for throwing them all out while I was at university. :argh:

I can remember one issue where a small town that was actually a Cobra base had to be evacuated and they showed you one guy putting the family dog down while his kids begged him not to, that's a pretty harsh lesson to learn about the practicalities of international terrorism at age eight. They also made me go through my "fanboy angry about other forms of media" phase really early - everyone in the schoolyard is talking about how great the Transformers cartoon is and I'm there going "It has none of the depth or sophistication of the comics", probably while smoking a loving pipe or something.
This was the U.K. comic though. The U.S. comic was for the most part, bad to very bad.
In the U.K., weekly comics (as in, new issue every week) have been a thing for far longer than in the U.S. What the Marvel U.K. staff did was they chopped the monthly U.S. issues - with nuggets as "Wolf and Boar attacks skiiers" and "Man wrestles car" - up in four parts and added 75% all-new material with G.I. JOE/Action Force, alternate universes, comics set in the "Transformers: The movie" continuity etc. Many of these were actually rather good since with four times the pages they could do stories that didn't just showcase the latest toys.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

E the Shaggy posted:

From Fantastic Four 60, much like Batman, Reed has a plan to beat every member of the team:

I think this is one of the few times I've seen Reed look angry in any media. I won't say he's frightening, but he's certainly unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bloodly posted:

I think this is one of the few times I've seen Reed look angry in any media. I won't say he's frightening, but he's certainly unsettling.

You should start reading Ultimate Comics

• Locked thread